Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I have a question about Vue: their FAQ says that you need a Roku/Fire/PS4 for the initial setup of the service. Do you need it after that? I don't own any of those things, would I be able to buy one, set Vue up, and then sell or return the Roku without impacting my Vue service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Farchanter posted:

I have a question about Vue: their FAQ says that you need a Roku/Fire/PS4 for the initial setup of the service. Do you need it after that? I don't own any of those things, would I be able to buy one, set Vue up, and then sell or return the Roku without impacting my Vue service?

So how would you exactly plan on watching vue after you set it up?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You could watch Vue on your phone/tablet via the Vue app or the individual channel apps.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
That is a fair question: I was going to use my Chromecast.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Why the hell does the CW have an app with their shows on the Fire device but they only have CW Seed which is crap on Roku?

Edit: Because they just released it yesterday or Monday because it wasn't there on Sunday. Nothing to see here, I should know better to double check before I whine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The new Roku app was the first they released and it was like two weeks ago.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I searched for it on Monday because I saw an ad for it on Supergirl and just CW Seed came up and I've had CW seed since August :shrug:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a way to stream SEC Network with an ESPN subscription from Vue? Is that available on ESPN 3?

Edit: a quick googling turned up my answer.

ScarletBrother fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 12, 2016

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I want to sign up for Playstation Vue because is clearly superior to Sling TV, but:

1) It's not available on Android TV boxes yet
2) It doesn't have Viceland

I just got a Xiaomi Mi Box and I'm loving it - it feels like a clean Android TV experience, the interface is great, and Kodi runs really well on it. Now I just need Vue to be supported.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I want to sign up for Playstation Vue because is clearly superior to Sling TV, but:

1) It's not available on Android TV boxes yet
2) It doesn't have Viceland

I just got a Xiaomi Mi Box and I'm loving it - it feels like a clean Android TV experience, the interface is great, and Kodi runs really well on it. Now I just need Vue to be supported.

Don't android TV boxes also report themselves as chromecast devices? Might be able to just cast to the box using the app in the meantime until they get around to making a proper app.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a roughly equivalent alternative to the Logitech Harmony? I'm just trying to do my due diligence before I buy a universal remote. Need it to control my TV, sound system, and FireTV. Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ScarletBrother posted:

Is there a roughly equivalent alternative to the Logitech Harmony? I'm just trying to do my due diligence before I buy a universal remote. Need it to control my TV, sound system, and FireTV. Thanks!

I haven't heard of anything. Logitech is basically the only player in the "smart" remote sector. You can get a cheap remote that controls multiple components, but Logitech's "activity" scheme is much more powerful and customizable.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Antenna question: I currently run an external antenna (small RCA Yagi type) on a pole about 25-30 feet up. That feeds to a single passive splitter via ~50' coax. The another ~20' to 2 individual drops. I am getting some channel dropouts and pixelation on channels that I should have good reception from (Green/Yellow).
My question: would a pre-amplifier(Wineguard LNA-200) at the antenna or a good distribution amp in place of the splitter (ChannelMaster 2-port) help? I am torn on which to try. The distribution amp would be easier to install as I have no power outlets in the attic where it sits. I could inject power near the tv side. The pre-amp will require an outlet in the attic as the power needs to be injected before the splitter.
Any advice?

BTW Cut the cord 6 months ago. Went from a Comcast 50mb/tv/phone $140 plan to $59.99 150mb/16mb (for 2 years) internet only plan. Add Netflix, Amazon, and the Acorn (British) channel for my wife and we are satisfied. Just want a little better reception.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Meydey posted:

Antenna question: I currently run an external antenna (small RCA Yagi type) on a pole about 25-30 feet up. That feeds to a single passive splitter via ~50' coax. The another ~20' to 2 individual drops. I am getting some channel dropouts and pixelation on channels that I should have good reception from (Green/Yellow).
My question: would a pre-amplifier(Wineguard LNA-200) at the antenna or a good distribution amp in place of the splitter (ChannelMaster 2-port) help? I am torn on which to try. The distribution amp would be easier to install as I have no power outlets in the attic where it sits. I could inject power near the tv side. The pre-amp will require an outlet in the attic as the power needs to be injected before the splitter.
Any advice?

BTW Cut the cord 6 months ago. Went from a Comcast 50mb/tv/phone $140 plan to $59.99 150mb/16mb (for 2 years) internet only plan. Add Netflix, Amazon, and the Acorn (British) channel for my wife and we are satisfied. Just want a little better reception.

Get the LNA-200 first (they have them at homedepot/lowes). Power can be injected anywhere as long as your splitter has a power pass which many do.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Will do. Not sure mine has a bypass as its from an old Comcast install, but I can always swap it. Just gotta crawl my fatass into the addition part of the attic to swap it. Better than tapping off of the fan or something to make a new outlet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Meydey posted:

Will do. Not sure mine has a bypass as its from an old Comcast install, but I can always swap it. Just gotta crawl my fatass into the addition part of the attic to swap it. Better than tapping off of the fan or something to make a new outlet.

Its just gonna be one of these if you dont know what im referring too.

I use the boost XT also and it works great btw (the lna-200)

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Unfortunately I cannot see the splitter without going thru the 16"x24" sawzalled hole that the contractors added in the old roof to get to the newer addon section. Last time I went up I left my good Klein strippers up there and had to go back.
I will test each drop and see what happens. If neither work then I guess I will get a new one.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ScarletBrother posted:

https://www.savant.com/product/remote-host

Much more expensive, limited device compatibility, no Bluetooth control for the FireTV. That's the only one I am aware of even remotely in the Harmony price range that has a physical remote. I believe Harmony has a shitload of very good patents so no one really wants to mess with them on it.

Just buy a Harmony, they are very good, you will have few to any complaints. My one piece of advice is if you just need to control your TV, audio and FireTV just buy the simple remote, not the touch screen remote. Sure the touch screen looks cool but unless you are controlling a gazillion devices or a ton of activities or using it for your smart home the touch screen just makes it harder to use and it has to be charged.

I bought a Harmony to make my life easier, not more complicated. Touch screens rarely make things easier to use if they were already simple.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
After cutting cable in July, we've been relying on my wife's Roku 2. It was already in poor shape from her extensive use of it and I'm guessing it was a first gen unit. After replacing the power supply in March it would no longer connect to our access point (luckily I had a wireless bridge to use). Still, it worked well enough for us for the past few months for basic stuff like going to a channel and playing a stream (Sling) or on-demand program (Sling, Netflix, Amazon).

However anything "advanced" like fast forwarding would crater it. Using the YouTube app would invariably reboot as well. Anything like moving around the Sling guide was slow and generally frustrating.

The other day I picked up a Premiere+ which corrected all of our Roku2's deficiencies.

On one hand I couldn't be happier. On the other, the "corrections" removes my philosophical response to rebooting: "gently caress this! I'm going to go read a book."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Three Olives posted:

Just buy a Harmony, they are very good, you will have few to any complaints. My one piece of advice is if you just need to control your TV, audio and FireTV just buy the simple remote, not the touch screen remote. Sure the touch screen looks cool but unless you are controlling a gazillion devices or a ton of activities or using it for your smart home the touch screen just makes it harder to use and it has to be charged.

I bought a Harmony to make my life easier, not more complicated. Touch screens rarely make things easier to use if they were already simple.

This is good advice. Touch screen remotes look cool but boy do they suck when you want to rewind really quick and grab the remote and you accidentally tell it to skip to the next episode or something equally stupid because there's no tactile feedback for your dumb monkey fingers. I've had a few Harmony remotes in my time (drat dog ate like 3 when she was a puppy because it smelled like daddy's hand) and even getting a rechargeable base is negligible in perceived value to actual value. The one thing I'd suggest is always get a model that handles the number of devices you need it to and make sure there's at least one spare slot for an additional device. It really sucks to have to sacrifice a device when you get something you didn't know you'd want a few years later.

P.S. I have dumb monkey fingers.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The current harmony remote that has a touch screen still has regular buttons for most common functions. The touch screen is for activity selection and any custom buttons you don't want to map to physical buttons.

One thing I like about the Elite is that your can easily jump into a device's remote rather than just having activity functions so you can easily adjust something you don't have a button mapped to. Otherwise, with the hub and simple remote, you have to either pull out the device's real remote or pull up the app. One thing that's also nice about the Elite is that you can buy a simple remote for $36 and add it to the system. Then you have two remotes which can be good if you have two different seating positions or just want to have the simple remote around for any other reason.

Oh, and having my remote tell me the current house temperature and thermostat setting from my Nest rocks.

I do wish TiVo and Logitech would get together though and figure out how to get the Harmony hub to send RF to the TiVo. The RF remote is so much more responsive.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 13, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The elite remote is so much better than the old touch screen remote because it uses a touchscreen made in the past decade that is actually close to the surface of the display.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
What are my options for getting rid of cable in favor of OTA, but trying to keep some sort of EPG? I see HDHomeRun and Tivo mentioned a lot, but I don't give a poo poo about DVR at all and I just want the guide. I guess it goes without saying that the TVs I have already don't have built in guides that's why I'm looking into this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

What are my options for getting rid of cable in favor of OTA, but trying to keep some sort of EPG? I see HDHomeRun and Tivo mentioned a lot, but I don't give a poo poo about DVR at all and I just want the guide. I guess it goes without saying that the TVs I have already don't have built in guides that's why I'm looking into this.

America's Console, The Xbox One, The Third XBox will give you a snazzy guide if you get the optional OTA tuner, along with a 30 second pause buffer. It also has an HDHomerun app but since it's a piece of software from SiliconDust it's a massive pile of trash. I think the Nvidia Shield can give you a guide for an HDHomerun on the same network.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love OneGuide.

I leave it so the good channels are favorited and the other 62 Albanian public access channels don't flood the guide.

It used to be really slow, now it's fast.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I have an nvidia shield on one TV so that would work, but I have an Intel NUC running LibreELEC on a different TV, is there a way I can make that bring up a decent EPG?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I have an nvidia shield on one TV so that would work, but I have an Intel NUC running LibreELEC on a different TV, is there a way I can make that bring up a decent EPG?

Windows Media Center is trapped in the slowly-sinking Windows 8 and they might just shut off guide data for it out of the blue one day, so the most-recommendable option is gone. Kodi has the ability to access an existing PVR back end but actually getting guide data for one either costs money, is an insane pain in the rear end, or both. It's also Kodi, so "just works" levels of wifeproofing aren't really there - how much that applies to you is obviously for you to decide.

It was a lot easier to recommend making an OTA living room box out of a PC a few years ago. Nowadays the set top boxen are better and the PC is arguably worse at it, so it's a lot easier to just say "get a Shield and an HDHR" or "get an Xbone."

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

HDHomerun + android tv will give you EPG data (make sure you get the one with h264 transcoding)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does PS Vue go down when PS Network goes down? PS Network isn't the most...stable of things.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Farchanter posted:

Don't do this, buy a FireTV stick, they cost $35 and if you have Prime in a major city they will even deliver it for free in two hours. If you don't Best Buy, Target and Walmart sell them.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Three Olives posted:

Don't do this, buy a FireTV stick, they cost $35 and if you have Prime in a major city they will even deliver it for free in two hours. If you don't Best Buy, Target and Walmart sell them.

Might wanna wait for the "new" FireTV stick that'll be out in a week or two, since it has better specs and I've heard the Vue app runs like garbage on the current stick.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. What's the recommended HDHomeRun model that I can get off of Amazon to connect three TVs?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

HDHomerun + android tv will give you EPG data (make sure you get the one with h264 transcoding)

I actually have the one with h264 transcoding. While it's nice to have for watching on a phone or tablet, if you're watching on a TV you're going to want unmolested MPEG2. On a 24 fps episode of NCIS it does well enough, but if you watch 1080i full frame rate content like sports or news the quality hit is very real.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 14, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Might wanna wait for the "new" FireTV stick that'll be out in a week or two, since it has better specs and I've heard the Vue app runs like garbage on the current stick.

I use Vue on two Fire sticks. Garbage is quite a bit of an exaggeration, it's laggy but still very usable.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Three Olives posted:

I use Vue on two Fire sticks. Garbage is quite a bit of an exaggeration, it's laggy but still very usable.

Laggy is not usable where every other option had zero lag. Even the Roku with its complete poo poo UI is better than a Fire Stick. Do not get a Fire Stick.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So am I poo poo out of luck if I want to watch hockey but I don't want to sign up for Sling or Vue?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Croatoan posted:

So am I poo poo out of luck if I want to watch hockey but I don't want to sign up for Sling or Vue?

If you are out of market you can get NHL.TV or if you are in market you can mess around with VPN's or DNS spoofers like unblock.us and watch that way.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Yep NHL.tv plus AdFreeTime or unblock.us means watch all the hockey no matter what stupid blackout rules are in place.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

TheScott2K posted:

I actually have the one with h264 transcoding. While it's nice to have for watching on a phone or tablet, if you're watching on a TV you're going to want unmolested MPEG2. On a 24 fps episode of NCIS it does well enough, but if you watch 1080i full frame rate content like sports or news the quality hit is very real.

You can change the default transcoding quality on the Extend to None so that you get the full MPEG2 stream and then change it on a per-device level if that device can't handle the full stream.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. What's the recommended HDHomeRun model that I can get off of Amazon to connect three TVs?

If you want to use a cable card the only option is the 3 tuner Prime.

If you're looking for one to use with an antenna then you want either the Connect or Extend. The Connect just provides the full uncompressed MPEG2 stream to connected devices while the Extend can encode the signal to H.264 which allows playback on a wider range of devices and/or over a crappier network. Generally speaking if you have a decent home network (AC/Wired) and are using a fairly modern device for viewing (PC/FireTV/Shield/fairly recent Roku) then the Connect is fine. If you have a crappy network (N only) or are using an underpowered device (RPi, old Roku, toaster) you might want to consider the Extend.

However both the Connect and Extend only have 2 tuners so if you want to be able to use all 3 of your TVs at the same time then you would need to get two devices in order to have enough tuners for all of your TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Krailor posted:

You can change the default transcoding quality on the Extend to None so that you get the full MPEG2 stream and then change it on a per-device level if that device can't handle the full stream.

If you want to use a cable card the only option is the 3 tuner Prime.

If you're looking for one to use with an antenna then you want either the Connect or Extend. The Connect just provides the full uncompressed MPEG2 stream to connected devices while the Extend can encode the signal to H.264 which allows playback on a wider range of devices and/or over a crappier network. Generally speaking if you have a decent home network (AC/Wired) and are using a fairly modern device for viewing (PC/FireTV/Shield/fairly recent Roku) then the Connect is fine. If you have a crappy network (N only) or are using an underpowered device (RPi, old Roku, toaster) you might want to consider the Extend.

However both the Connect and Extend only have 2 tuners so if you want to be able to use all 3 of your TVs at the same time then you would need to get two devices in order to have enough tuners for all of your TVs.

Man, this is a perfect post. Thanks. I have an old HDHomerun but was just wondering what was new out there from them. If you can adjust the transcoding, the Extend sounds like the way to go.