Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeoh posted:

i hope that this is the vietnamese century where they invade asia and introduce good and tasty fusion food to the rest of the ork camps
But what if the elves get there first????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

But what if the elves get there first????????????

china mixes up snow elves and slow elves

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Maybe they are seeing if someone will recreate baima fei ma or something... with the butterfly wings thing.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
are trhey meant to be argumentative essays or creative? because they're definitely not stupid as creative writing exercises

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
On a whim I decided to check out Australian Olympic swimmer Mack Horton's Facebook page.

He still has hundreds of angry Chinese people leaving hate messages. That's down from tens of thousands so it's an improvement I guess?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I tried people nearby to see if I could have fun Haier stories of my own but after several days I've concluded it's literally 100% prostitute advertisements. I have found nothing else.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What's holding you back?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

I tried people nearby to see if I could have fun Haier stories of my own but after several days I've concluded it's literally 100% prostitute advertisements. I have found nothing else.

it's becoming clear why milf offered up her "younger daughter" now

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

and what's this app called again?
for science...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Question to the goons currently in china, prompted through the elf tinder photo: I know that chinese culture is really socially restricted in some ways, see marrying before you're 25 (or 30?) or stuff like face, but on the other hand they seem really open about some weird concepts such as ghosty, TCM or spirits.
Does this spiritual side, coupled with the "no why" face-saving rubbish, lead to a lot of chinese living in their own weird reality constructs, that never get questioned? For example, do some chinese people have stuff like otherkin or furries, that just never get confronted by anyone because it'd mean losing face? Could a CEO of a company stroll into the company wearing a fur-suit one morning, tell everybody "My sign is tiger. So I decided I am tiger now. My new english name is now tony." and nobody would ever question it because he's got more status, and questioning it would lead to face loss all around?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think there's any conflict there

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Isn't the "Shanghai school system" thing British articles have been raving about actually a system for teaching math a few teachers from Shanghai invented? You know, rather than actually the way they teach in Shanghai?

As for the whole "word salad" thing in essays, I've heard Chinese essays tend to be graded on how many 4-character "chengyus" (idioms) that are used.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nickmeister posted:

As for the whole "word salad" thing in essays, I've heard Chinese essays tend to be graded on how many 4-character "chengyus" (idioms) that are used.

This is also at least part of how the English essays on the gaokao are graded. The students memorize a bunch of random idioms and use as many as possible. When they write actual essays for me this is one of the ways it's complete garbage.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Many a mickle makes a muckle, my friends!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not related to China specifically. But I used to tutor a Southeast Asian kid in English and all he'd do is ask me for big, cool words that he could use in essays. If you tried to teach him about structure and grammar, he'd just switch off.

It was easy money but I got pretty depressed knowing that I was actively making the kid a bad writer.

It's always a bad schooling system that promotes this kind of thing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
its super nice of apple to build a r&d center right in shenzhen so chinese companies dont have to go overseas to steal technology

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a bummer. Some areas are better than others. The other area I lived last time here was near factories, so it was a ton of massage girls and factory girls and a dead-end. The only good hits I got were when I was outside in other parts of the city.

This time I am near the university and tech companies. Since October 1st I have added:
1 Girl that revealed herself to be a a ladyboy (I'm gonna post this dude/chick's story soon, because xir's life is kinda neat).
1 College girl that wants me to teach her how to ride a skateboard.
1 Old Korean woman and her daughter.
2 Girls looking for one night stands (rejected both).
1 Crazy Mongol.
1 Sichuan girl on holiday that chickened out at the last moment.
2 accountants that are p cute.
1 Wechat seller that I don't know what she wants. She added me.
1 girl that said she was married but wanted voice sex, despite neither of us speaking the same language. When asked what she was doing, she said she was breastfeeding her 6-month-old son. Deleted immediately.

And I've had like 10 gay dudes try to add me.

On Tantan I've gotten:
Several office girls that want to practice English.
Several office girls that want to pay me money to tutor English in a cafe.
A bunch of women that read my profile and see the part where I say I only speak English and they don't want to talk.
Married chicks that get deleted after I found out they are married.
Gym bunnies that are disappointed I am not intro Cross Fit.
1 Buddhist that believes in fairies and wants to travel to northern Europe because she thinks fairies are common and everyone up there believes in them like she does.
Sixheads.

It's hit and miss.

ladron posted:

and what's this app called again?
for science...
Wechat. If you're in the US, Canada, or Australia and near a university of any sort, you'll probably see some Chinese on People Nearby if you use it. You have to go to setting and Features to enable it first, though. If you're white don't expect much. The second they leave China they usually ignore white people because they're everywhere and scary now and they need to be in their protective bubbles with their own kind.
---

In weird news, my boss excitedly showed me her phone tonight. She pointed at a number in an app and it took me a second to figure out what it meant. "Is that tens of thousands? Just from today?" "YES!" It was at 18, and by the time I left it was at 21. That equals 210,000 RMB of sales ($32,200 USD). This was just from her Wechat side business that she barely ever updates because it takes too much time. She had spent all afternoon loading up new products from one of the warehouses she has and her nearly 2000 customers on the account saw it and went crazy with orders. I asked her how much was profit and she said more than half. Now I understand how she's been able to afford and own so many drat houses. If her side-business can help her grab $16k USD in profit in a single afternoon, there's no telling how much her main business can get her. It's China, so her overhead is practically nothing and she gets the regular workers to fill those orders for her without having to pay extra.

Meanwhile, I got paid last week and there was 6K RMB extra in there I didn't expect, so I have nothing to complain about.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

The Refucking of China, coincidentally, is also the title for this chapter of the Haier saga.

I thought it was "The Shanghai Secret".

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

in shanghai if you search girls-only it's prostitutes, high school students, and people selling luxury tea/shoes/watches/cigarettes
if you search guys-only it's gay prostitutes, guys looking for girls/prostitutes, and people selling the luxury stuff

also the guy:girl ratio is 6:1

Haier posted:

Wechat. If you're in the US, Canada, or Australia and near a university of any sort, you'll probably see some Chinese on People Nearby if you use it.

if youre near a US university and want to meet chinese girls just go to modelmayhem.com; theyre all on there making a quick buck

Edit: may not apply outside California and Nevada

LentThem fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 12, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I started to realize how ever they teach in asia must be hosed up when I was involved in some sort of tutoring and help way back in highschool. We had a large international student program and it was mostly japanese, good-chinese, and HKers. Near the end though we started to get mainlanders. All the asian students always had a hard time with any sort of assignment that wasn't extremely well defined. They always wanted to know exactly how things would be graded and exactly what was expected, which are fair things to worry about when you're very concerned about perfect grades. But if the assignment had even the slightest bit of freedom or choice, they'd absolutely short out, specially the mainlanders. Anything that wasn't rote memorization, anything that didn't have a single best true correct answer caused theme extreme levels of stress and confusion.

One case that stood out was in english the teacher gave everyone a small fluff creative writing assignment. She reassured everyone that you were not being judged on your literary merits so don't worry about the story, it was mostly just focused on grammar and structure, but if your story was particularly good she'd probably give you a bonus mark. Whatever, an extremely minor assignment worth like .5% of our grade, who cares. Right away almost all the asian students got up and went up to the teacher looking upset. The japanese were first, very confused at what they were supposed to write about. The teachers attempted answers of "it doesn't matter" and "whatever you want" simply were not getting through. Finally the teacher just tossed out some random ideas for them, which again wasn't enough, they wanted to know which of these ideas would get the best marks. Finally they got it, that it didn't matter which one the picked, pick the one they felt most comfortable writing about.

The chinese students were carefully observing all this and also demanded to know what exactly to write about. They didn't like even being given a list of topics because obviously one of the topics was maybe the secret bonus-mark topic and the japanese students got help so why can't they?? They stood and argued with the teacher for a good 10 min trying to learn exactly how to maximize their grade. When they finally sat down they peeked at what the japanese were writing about to make sure they picked the correct topic because obviously the japanese had the inside scoop.

The next class we found out the teacher had canceled the assignment and instead we were doing a long garbage multiple-choice grammar test that seemed way below our level. Apparently what happened is that all the japanese students decided to pick the exact same story to write about and handed in identical work, and then all the chinese students use the same topic and attempted to copy the japanese students. They were all obsessed with picking the correct creative choice and missed the entire point that it was just a test of grammar. One of the chinese students had some sort of panic attack and their parents ended up calling the school and yelling that their precious daughter was going to get bad grades because the teacher gives unclear instructions but gives special help to only the japanese students. Upsetting the cash-cow of international students was a big no-no so the teacher just gave up and found a chunk from a basic ESL exam to give everyone.

tl;dr asian students flip out at being given any creative freedom, japanese students are given some random ideas by the teacher, chinese students attempt to cheat/copy, still can't figure it out, and end up accusing the school of giving unfair advantage to the japanese.

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Yo Haier I've been readling your posts for like three or four threads but I don't think I ever read what you actually do for a job in china.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He does Chinese women.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

RedTeam posted:

Yo Haier I've been readling your posts for like three or four threads but I don't think I ever read what you actually do for a job in china.

I bet that's on purpose.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

beep-beep car is go posted:

I bet that's on purpose.

Haier has, rightly so, been pretty reticent on letting people know his personal details. Given how easy it is to completely ruin someone's life using the internet, and doubly so any kind of poo poo in China can be used against you, he's done the smart thing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RedTeam posted:

Haier said he's in his early 30s and that's more than old enough to know that if aren't the human equivalent of wet white bread placed on a paper plate some human being on the forums will take an undying grudge to you and seek to ruin your life the minute he gets ahold of your identity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dude already gets dinged out of the blue for trumped up racism. If I were Haier I'd of already hosed off.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Please respect 5,000 probations in glorious Chinar threads, you are hurting the feelings of the moderators.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rjQY64e9T8

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

paperchaseguy posted:

Please respect 5,000 probations in glorious Chinar threads, you are hurting the feelings of the moderators.

If posters weren't being hauled off and silenced for complete nonsense, it wouldn't be the China thread.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wow, what do you really do in that situation. it looks like he can get on until he actually tries. that thing is bookin'.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

UltraRed posted:

Wow, what do you really do in that situation. it looks like he can get on until he actually tries. that thing is bookin'.

I doubted it was China at all at first because the guy was trying to do something instead of just watching what he started go to frution from the side of the road with two knuckles up his nose.

What you do is cut a steeper angle across the circle so you can jump in instead of repeatedly underestimating where your tractor is going to be and as a result just tail it in a smaller circle than the one it's tracing

Also you probably don't hop out of your tractor to haggle over fruit prices while it's running and in gear on the side of the road

raton fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2016

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

This is one of those problems where the correct solution is to just let the universe do it's thing. Stop traffic if you're an overachiever.

Never do that.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

nomad2020 posted:

This is one of those problems where the correct solution is to just let the universe do it's thing. Stop traffic if you're an overachiever.

Never do that.

Sorry, too white, already leapt into self propelled tractor

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You have to run the risk of of being humiliated by letting your tractor get away from you vs being humiliated by being run over by your own tractor.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The correct answer is to blame it on temporary workers if you get caught.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Son of Rodney posted:

The one thing I find the most fascinating is actually the wechat thing that haier does. Say what you want, chinese peple seem really friendly and open about meeting people just because they're near them.

How is this fascinating to you? Apps for this have been around for like half a decade now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haier posted:

In weird news, my boss excitedly showed me her phone tonight. She pointed at a number in an app and it took me a second to figure out what it meant. "Is that tens of thousands? Just from today?" "YES!" It was at 18, and by the time I left it was at 21. That equals 210,000 RMB of sales ($32,200 USD). This was just from her Wechat side business that she barely ever updates because it takes too much time. She had spent all afternoon loading up new products from one of the warehouses she has and her nearly 2000 customers on the account saw it and went crazy with orders. I asked her how much was profit and she said more than half. Now I understand how she's been able to afford and own so many drat houses. If her side-business can help her grab $16k USD in profit in a single afternoon, there's no telling how much her main business can get her. It's China, so her overhead is practically nothing and she gets the regular workers to fill those orders for her without having to pay extra.

Meanwhile, I got paid last week and there was 6K RMB extra in there I didn't expect, so I have nothing to complain about.

That's awesome. What kind of products? Just a bunch of consumer products she warehouses and then sells?

What is it you actually do in China, Haier? I mean, aside from all the plunging.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

Stupid China
Stupid China is lecturing about the error in America’s invasion of Iraq when stupid China just recently invaded a section of Vietnam’s land near South China Sea in northern Vietnam. Hey stupid China, can’t lecture against other people’s invasion when your sorry and stupid China rear end is currently invading or just invaded a northern section of my birth-homeland Vietnam. Down with hypocrite China! Sit down stupid, hypocritical, bitch China.
While your stupid, hypocritical, bitch China’s rear end is sitting down, order your heterosexual men with sperms to stop dressing like a bunch of girls (drag dressing) prancing around on stage singing like women and flirting with men in your drag-dressing-homosexual-flirting Chinese opera that you proudly pronunced as one of China’s finest invention. It’s WRONG for your Chinese heterosexual-male-with-sperms-and-heterosexual-female-with-eggs audience to enjoy blatant drag-dressing-gay-acting entertainment as part of your heterosexual culture. Nasty. When the heterosexual humanity worship and can’t live without homosexual entertainment, humanity dies. End of China. Communism is dying because China just stole a section of land from Vietnam. When a communist country (China) invaded or stole land from another communist country (Vietnam), that triggers the fall of communism by creating enemies among each other in the same political idea. FURTHERMORE MORE, A LEADER IS NO LONGER A LEADER WHEN CAUGHT BEING A HYPOCRITE, STUPID FOLLOWER CHINA. GET YOUR STUPID, FAT, LAZY CHINA’S ASSES OFF THE SEATS TO MAKE ROOM FOR SOME SKINNY-rear end GOOKS (VIETNAM).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Ccs posted:

What is it you actually do in China, Haier? I mean, aside from all the plunging.

Hamster whisperer.
His charms also extend to other small furry beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo at the cognitive dissonance of British papers, how does it get so bad?

"Yeah, our universities and our students are some of the best in the world and later go on to do amazing things with their lives. But why can't we be more like this dysfunctional third world country, whose education system has produced jack poo poo in the last two decades? Why can't we be more like them?" :qq:

• Locked thread