Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Clinton will just be eight years of status quo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

cowofwar posted:

Clinton will just be eight years of status quo.
The banality of evil is so boring

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Count Roland posted:

But she's a woman! And she says the word diversity a lot!

Seriously though, having a woman as president is a significant achievement. But Clinton herself is the epitomy of establishment politics. Her negatives far out weigh her positives imo.

I actually say people in the thread posting that it's impossible for clinton to be part of the political status quo because was a woman. I never thought I'd hear that the clinton's weren't part of the political establishment.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Nobody gives a poo poo about this Trump discussion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-election-act-challenged-in-supreme-court-of-canada-1.3799827

quote:

B.C. Election Act challenged in Supreme Court of Canada
Critics say law that requires election advertising sponsors to register restricts freedom of speech

CBC News Posted: Oct 11, 2016 8:49 AM PT

A section of B.C.'s Election Act that restricts advertising is being challenged this morning in the Supreme Court of Canada.

The B.C. Freedom of Information and Privacy Association is challenging the law, arguing it restricts freedom of expression in this province, and that it should include an exception for third parties spending less than $500 on election advertising.

Section 239 of B.C.'s Election Act says election advertising sponsors must register with the chief electoral officer.

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association is an intervener in the case. Lawyer Laura Track said the association is concerned the law is too broad.

"If you want to wear a jacket pin or a T-shirt or put a poster up in your window, you're required to register that communication with the government before you make that communication so the definition of election advertising is really broad."

The advertising relates to any type of political issue and critics say it has a chilling effect on free speech.

"Our concern is that this registration requirement is going to deter people from speaking out about important political issues — having to register if you have a political opinion about something with the government is a potential chill on people's expressive rights."

With the next provincial election just seven months away the court challenge is timely. The hearing is scheduled to take one day.

Cannot wait for the BC Trucking Association to have free reign on election advertising!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But if you're not a Canadian citizen and you want to donate money to the bclp, that's OK.

:shrug:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

But if you're not a Canadian citizen and you want to donate money to the bclp, that's OK.

:shrug:

That's because it's racist to think that foreign influences via political party donations will create problems.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

OSI bean dip posted:

That's because it's racist to think that foreign influences via political party donations will create problems.

You're quite right. As christy also said, freedom of speech

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the "chilling effect on free speech" nonsense has been as an argument against every campaign finance law ever.

I'm guessing it'll be upheld under section 1 of the charter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Monaghan posted:

I actually say people in the thread posting that it's impossible for clinton to be part of the political status quo because was a woman. I never thought I'd hear that the clinton's weren't part of the political establishment.

Do these people not know of Margaret Thatcher?

Female politicians can be downright evil, just like male ones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

EvilJoven posted:

Do these people not know of Margaret Thatcher?

Female politicians can be downright evil, just like male ones.

If you don't like Thatcher, an outspoken anti-feminist, you're probably anti-feminist.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
lmao at thinking who the is president matters at all

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

lmao at thinking who the is president matters at all

Exactly, same as brexit. May as well cheer Trump, it's always fun going for the underdog.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ocrumsprug posted:

So which is it, are they justified or not?

Have you watched the source video yourself? You might come to a different conclusion after viewing what she was being accused of.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

patonthebach posted:

Have you watched the source video yourself? You might come to a different conclusion after viewing what she was being accused of.

So why did it matter that she was a "tranny"? Did this help you come to a conclusion on your position on the matter?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought 1/16 was the threshold to get your Metis card?

Guys! I totally watched Clinton Cash that one time, WHAT A MONSTER! :sad:

No blood quantum, just proven lineage. My mothers cousin showed me the section 35 card. We're white as poo poo.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Minge Binge posted:

Trump is not going to win. Trump was never going to win.

I understand the attention someone like Trump would receive from us. It's entertaining, schadenfreude, whatever. But now there's so many people start talking about a Trump whitehouse in a very Serious Tone, without paying any attention to Clinton. She is certified horrible person that is every bit interested in further destabilizing the middle east. And she is a 99% sure thing.

I dunno what I'm really getting at. I guess it's just grating to hear about Trump all the time. So many people are talking loudly about Trump, but have no idea what kind of monster Clinton is.

Clinton's agenda is just an extension of America's policies for the last 16+ years while Trump is a departure, I guess people are reacting to a non-status quo politician.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
In the alternative universe where Trump wins the election he would almost certainly have a majority in the House and Senate and a compliant Supreme Court. I think American liberals can be excused for getting over enthusiastic about the only person who stands between them and that frightening possibility.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

In the alternative universe where Trump wins the election he would almost certainly have a majority in the House and Senate and a compliant Supreme Court. I think American liberals can be excused for getting over enthusiastic about the only person who stands between them and that frightening possibility.

A fascist USA is terrifying to think about so yeah, let them enjoy this.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I've been hearing recently that misgendering people in Ontario is to be made hate speech? I don't know much about the subject, but my roommates have recently started to watch nonstop Jordan B Peterson lectures and he seems like a good lecturer, but also to have embarked on some batshit "anti-PC" crusade related to the law that (is to be?) passed in Ontario.

https://t.co/nriFzrOPmn

It honestly looks pretty pathetic to me, but I''m wondering if people generally thinks he has a point. Is the Ontario law as stupid as my roommates and this guy pretend? I'm a bit saddened by it because they're usually good people, but are watching more and more anti-sjw stuff and I'm starting to can't wait to move out.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Colonel J posted:

I've been hearing recently that misgendering people in Ontario is to be made hate speech? I don't know much about the subject, but my roommates have recently started to watch nonstop Jordan B Peterson lectures and he seems like a good lecturer, but also to have embarked on some batshit "anti-PC" crusade related to the law that (is to be?) passed in Ontario.

It honestly looks pretty pathetic to me, but I''m wondering if people generally thinks he has a point. Is the Ontario law as stupid as my roommates and this guy pretend? I'm a bit saddened by it because they're usually good people, but are watching more and more anti-sjw stuff and I'm starting to can't wait to move out.

your roomates are assholes

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

RBC posted:

your roomates are assholes

That's what I figured. It's hard to see clearly when you're in the midst of it, plus that guy looks like he has some credibility. I'm put off by all this, esp. cause they used to be so chill. Jordan Peterson changed them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Colonel J posted:

Not just Ontario, all of Canada. I like Peterson although I haven't watched his lectures, he seems like the walking embodiment of someone who's not wrong, just an rear end in a top hat. If it was 2013, I might say he's my spirit animal but that is not allowed anymore.

quote:

CO: In Ontario, the law states that gender is a "person's sense of being a woman, a man, both, or neither, or anywhere along the gender spectrum."

JP: Yes. That particularly statement I regard as logically incoherent to the point of dangerousness. I think that the reason it's been rushed into law is that people haven't been paying attention. The mere fact that I don't want to use pronouns that some else has decided I should use doesn't mean that I don't believe that transgender people exist. It also doesn't make me a bigot. Regardless of how hard people try to push me into that corner — I'm not a bigot.

CO: A lot of people in the trans community have suffered a great deal because of discrimination, because of not being recognized. This is something that is one step, they believe, toward that recognition.

JP: Yes, well the mere fact that they believe it doesn't mean it's correct.

CO: But don't you have an interest in seeing them accommodated? Do you see the value in…

JP: It depends on the nature of the accommodation and at what price? I don't believe that it's reasonable for our society to undermine the entire concept of binary gender in order to hypothetically accommodate a tiny minority of people.

CO: What you are proposing, that you will not use pronouns, may become something that's a criminal offense. Are you aware of that?

JP: Of course I'm aware of that — that's exactly what I wrote the lecture about.

CO: And so how will you respond, when you are in that situation in a classroom?

JP: I'm not going to mouth words that I believe put me in the position of an ideological puppet. I won't do that. If it turns out that's a hate crime in Ontario, well, as far as I'm concerned, bring it on!

CO: Isn't it also the role of a society to make people feel included and to have inclusiveness?

JP: No. It's not the role of society to make people feel included. That's not the role of society. The role of society is to maintain a modicum of peace between people. It's not the role of society to make people feel comfortable. I think society is changing in many ways. I can tell you one thing that I'm very terrified of, and you can think about this. I think that the continual careless pushing of people by left wing radicals is dangerously waking up the right wing. So you can consider this a prophecy from me if you want. Inside the collective is a beast and the beast uses its fists. If you wake up the beast then violence emerges. I'm afraid that this continual pushing by radical left wingers is going to wake up the beast.

Your roommates are probably good examples of his last answer. Perfectly neutral dudes get pushed and prodded until they pick one side or another.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
It's sort of in line with what I think:

OSI bean dip posted:

I don't think that this statement is wrong but at the same time I think that you're overlooking the weight of the problem at hand. It's very, very, very easy for myself and others to go on about the problems facing progressives because right now in this moment there isn't any sign that a breaking point is looming.

This breaking point is really hard to describe because it's likely to be complex and involve different social classes. An easy thing to cite is the constant automation of jobs. How many people do we need to build cars when robots do the work? How many doctors do we really need when super computers (such as Watson) can do the work of dozens? How many truck drivers do we need when self-driving rigs are on the horizon? How many miners do we need to run a mine? These are all high-paying jobs with different levels of qualifications and while some right now are not quick to be replaced, other careers have shrunk in availability or outright don't exist anymore.

We've seen this shift in well-paying jobs happen in the past thirty years. While the manufacturing sector has shrunk dramatically and jobs in agriculture have become scarce, the only high-paying job that anyone straight out of high school can get is really move to Alberta or Saskatchewan during the good times in the resource sector and work a job assembling oil rigs. Elites know that this is the case and use as much propaganda as possible to let people know that anyone who hinders progress on new operations or pipelines is an affront to "hard-working Canadians" who otherwise would be the first to go if there were a way to automate them out of a job.

This is why we see that native peoples are a constant driving force behind opposition to pipeline construction and other natural resource projects. These projects impact them the most and the elites that run these organizations know that by painting them as an affront to progress they can get some level of public support. An issue like pronouns, transgender in bathrooms, gender equality, same-sex marriage, or to a certain extent abortion rights aren't seen as an affront and end up being permitted by those on the right because they know that it doesn't prevent the powers that be from getting what they want. These issues do not cost the same amount because they do not result in physical blockades and as a result are palatable. Even under Harper, abortion rights progressed in some way even though it was at the provincial level.

Individuals like THC who go on about this mindset implying that the struggles of LGBT and blacks are "imagined oppression" demonstrate that they've been bought into this system. Any progress is good progress but it's very easy to throw a bone in order to buy time or something to that effect. It's the lack of self-awareness over these matters that leads me to believe that there's a Tumblr-left and actual progression. These rights may survive on paper but the moment everything hits the fan, some group that has fought for equality will suffer and only then will this self-awareness become realized.

When this all breaks I don't know if progressives will be ready but the elites will.

Except dipshit assholes like the aforementioned roommates won't get it and will think that it is okay to beat on those who are not like them.

Also I was a bit harsh on THC in this post--sorry.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I predict the only tangible effects of this bill in Average Cis Person's everyday life will not extend beyond eye rolling at the inevitable Star article about the OCAD snowflake who is beyond certain that [ ] was denied employment solely on the basis of [ ]'s refusal to subscribe to the concept of gender.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I don't think they're the type who'll physically beat on someone, and I hope I'm right.

The whole fiasco with Mike Ward and Jeremy Gabriel really pushed many people here into "I can say whatever, whenever, and saying the opposite is free speech suppression" and it's snowballing into anti-PC stuff which is cancer of the mind.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I understand that catastrophizing any and everything is the norm these days, but bucking at the esoteric tenets of gender theory is not a gateway drug to beating people.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Not just Ontario, all of Canada. I like Peterson although I haven't watched his lectures, he seems like the walking embodiment of someone who's not wrong, just an rear end in a top hat. If it was 2013, I might say he's my spirit animal but that is not allowed anymore.

quote:

JP: No. It's not the role of society to make people feel included. That's not the role of society. The role of society is to maintain a modicum of peace between people. It's not the role of society to make people feel comfortable.

It's funny, I was talking about this with my mom recently, and I kinda felt like the role of society was to enforce conformity.

Sorta like how giving your kids hyphenated last name works for a single generation, then people realize why the old tradition got started in the first place.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Sorta like how giving your kids hyphenated last name works for a single generation, then people realize why the old tradition got started in the first place.

It works just fine for the second generation too, and it still weirds me the hell out when I meet people my age who just give the kid the father's last name.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

It works just fine for the second generation too, and it still weirds me the hell out when I meet people my age who just give the kid the father's last name.
I was discussing something along these lines with my wife just last night. Considering(not seriously at all) Icelandic style patronymics for my soon to be first-born. Little Miss Chillersdottir. Neither of us have Icelandic heritage, so I thought it might not be the best idea. That is, until I realised that we're both white Anglo Canadians, and taking things we like is pretty much exactly our heritage. gently caress you, my land now.

Speaking of which, I was surprised to see this on tv recently:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_tcCpKtoU0
Quite the change of tone from the usual smug "Aren't we the best nation ever?" Heritage Minutes

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Colonel J posted:

That's what I figured. It's hard to see clearly when you're in the midst of it, plus that guy looks like he has some credibility. I'm put off by all this, esp. cause they used to be so chill. Jordan Peterson changed them.

you're scared of a man who wants to fight pc culture with stickers

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
"A moral system -- a system of culture -- necessarily shares features in common with other systems. The most fundamental of the shared features of systems was identified by Kurt Godel. Godel's Incompleteness Theorem demonstrated that any internally consistent and logical system of propositions must necessarily be predicated upon assumptions that cannot be proved from within the confines of that system."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm glad a guy who apparently can't get a SSHRC grant anymore has been able to monetize his lecture series about our society's latest moral panic. I didn't realize tenured profs were that hard-up for cash, but hey if people are getting something out of it, that's fine.

But a clinical psychologist who mixes religion, Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, and a few references to scientific/mathematical theories and claims this is a scientific exploration of evil and belief probably isn't going to be an authority on much.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 12, 2016

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

B33rChiller posted:

Speaking of which, I was surprised to see this on tv recently:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_tcCpKtoU0
Quite the change of tone from the usual smug "Aren't we the best nation ever?" Heritage Minutes

I like the skirting of the church's involvement and how they never actually say why residential schools were bad or what happened there.

I might be mis-remembering but I thought the tone of a couple of those were supposed to be "Canada: A Nation of Assholes". I know they had one on the use of Chinese slave workers on the railroad and importing Irish and British orphan kids (although I don't think that one was quite as honest), and the classic "I think he means the village." Looking at the comments on that video was a terrible idea though, nationalistic pride/patriotism is bad enough but people getting their backs up over residential schools is hosed.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://teechip.com/vaxandgmos#id=0&c=660099&sid=fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t&s=front

Strongly considering buying this t shirt

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I too find it weird when people conform to social mores that have been practised for hundreds of years

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Typical Goon posted:

I too find it weird when people conform to social mores that have been practised for hundreds of years

Yeah that's why it's totally normal for men to treat women as property. Tradition.

I haven't lived for hundreds of years, so what is weird or not to me is based on my personal experience. In Quebec hyphenated names are super common, and there's something very old fashioned about the practice of giving kids just the man's name. Especially given the prevalence of divorce.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah that's why it's totally normal for men to treat women as property. Tradition.

I haven't lived for hundreds of years, so what is weird or not to me is based on my personal experience. In Quebec hyphenated names are super common, and there's something very old fashioned about the practice of giving kids just the man's name. Especially given the prevalence of divorce.

Yeah, and marriage between Quebec couples was practically unknown for decades, although it seems to be making a comeback with my generation. When we quit religion, we quit hard.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
:goonsay: I am white, hear me roar

Anecdotal: A colleague at work was having a private conversation over the weekend in the backyard of their property, when a drunken neighbour started with drunken racist tirades. Things seem to have escalated and the police made an appearance. :canada:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jordan7hm posted:

Have their been any quadruple-hyphenated names, from two parents each with hyphenated names? Eventually you'll get there, and then to octuple hyphenation, unless you concede that it's okay to drop some names eventually, which essentially produces the Portuguese surname system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
You guys aren't being very multicultural right now.