Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Bought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Dirt Worshipper posted:

For those interested in the ww2 period, this book is on kindle sale for a little more than a dollar right now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AE7DH2M/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Bull writes a lot of the Osprey books.

Thanks!

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 9, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

No KV-2s had inscriptions and the ribs on the road wheels are far too big :colbert:

in my Bolt action movie universe they did.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Ospreys, they've currently got a sale with 20% off their Duel, Raid, and Warrior ranges. Which means you can get this for super cheap, especially if you want it as an ebook.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Like I fukkin needed more Osprey books. Gonna need a whole shelf when these arrive. Picked up Moncalms Raid and Swamp Fox

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Some of us dudes are getting together at AdeptiCon to do some Sharp Practice. We're tracking our hobby as we go-

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/10/announcing-royal-american-regiment-of.html?m=1

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

Some of us dudes are getting together at AdeptiCon to do some Sharp Practice. We're tracking our hobby as we go-

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/10/announcing-royal-american-regiment-of.html?m=1

Cool! Interesting to see a beginner's perspective on Sharp Practice. That might just make me a bit too interested in it though.

I just went to this little ol' thing yesterday.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Nice!

I was at the Collings Foundation this weekend for a reenactment, and they now have an IS-2:

And in case you want to :spergin: about some paint:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Huh, that looks virtually yellow.

I guess there's a significant fading issue given age, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That's not the proper green for a rusted out IS-2 sitting in a field in 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

Is that a private party or what? I was planning on Adepticon to actually get some games in this year rather than lurking (I'm in the SW chicago burbs).

You can PM me. I'm down with tracking my progress. I have nothing for the period either.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DiHK posted:

Is that a private party or what? I was planning on Adepticon to actually get some games in this year rather than lurking (I'm in the SW chicago burbs).

You can PM me. I'm down with tracking my progress. I have nothing for the period either.

So you're charged with painting 16 French grenadiers and an officer or Sergeant :chanpop:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

So you're charged with painting 16 French grenadiers and an officer or Sergeant :chanpop:

I'll go with Sergeant as long as he's still a level II, it's my peasant roots you see.

I know it's more my discretion but is this pre or post 1758? I'm getting distracted by uniform stuff while browsing minis.

Also does anybody have any experience with Warlords French Regular Infantry box?

These AW Grenadiers look like butt

Conquest looks allright but I've heard a bad word about the casting?

I can barely tell with these guys but I feel like ive seen them in another shop too...?

I only see French irregulars on Galloping Major. I'm also having a hard time figuring out how theater appropriate the Bearskin hats were. Kinda leaning toward those conquest tricorns.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 12, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

We don't have a year for the scenario so I wouldn't super worry about it, tho I've read the grenadiers did wear tricorns . Redoubt are cool but are older chunky styles. I ordered some AW guys to see what the casts are like. Conquest in my experience have been pretty great. Fife and Drum sells Minden minis which are really pretty - not sure if any of the European syw stuff would work for grenadiers in New France. They're more realistically scaled.

I'm p sure Warlord's French regulars are just conquest

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So I've started collecting Americans for Flames of War. What's a good points value to aim for? I've seen 1420, 1500, 1650, 1750 etc. all being bandied around. I'm really not in touch with the tournament scnee, and probably won't be playing in any tourneys, but trying to get some casual games in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you aim to build cheap and use mostly PSC and Zvezda for your building needs then the best option is to pick a list you like, then get every option and prune them for specific points lists. You're going to end up doing that anyway, so just accept it now.

ETA: you will need to find out if people are playing Early, Mid, or Late war though, so do that first.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm pumped for Sharp Practice.

How pumped?

Well, despite not having played it yet, I'm ordering some light infantry from Front Rank to my French force, and I'm also trying to make my own army list. Why my own list? Because there's only list for France that covers 1812, and it's for the Peninsular war, where they decided that the French units should suck.

Also, the official lists cover like, 50% of the unit types involved, so I'd have to write one sooner or later anyway.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

How pumped?

Well, despite not having played it yet, I'm ordering some light infantry from Front Rank to my French force, and I'm also trying to make my own army list. Why my own list? Because there's only list for France that covers 1812, and it's for the Peninsular war, where they decided that the French units should suck.

Also, the official lists cover like, 50% of the unit types involved, so I'd have to write one sooner or later anyway.

I'm going to have to write one for Egypt for sure. Time to get researching!

WildFireHooligan
Nov 26, 2013

Lighters are interesting
Anybody think I Aint Been Shot Mum would translate well into the cold war era? or is there a better cold war style system that i should just sperg on.

Also all this Sharps Practice talk makes me wish people in my area played more historicals other than Tank wall FoW. :colbert:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

WildFireHooligan posted:

Also all this Sharps Practice talk makes me wish people in my area played more historicals other than Tank wall FoW. :colbert:

Napoleonics are fun to research and paint (yet to get the first game in), and then I might even cut my teeth into some Boshin war. Gotta compensate for never doing horse and musket that much before. :)

WildFireHooligan
Nov 26, 2013

Lighters are interesting

lilljonas posted:

Napoleonics are fun to research and paint (yet to get the first game in), and then I might even cut my teeth into some Boshin war. Gotta compensate for never doing horse and musket that much before. :)

That's really why I enjoy historicals so much, researching and getting stuck in with all that cool knowledge of your tiny men makes playing with them all that more gratifying in the end.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

WildFireHooligan posted:

That's really why I enjoy historicals so much, researching and getting stuck in with all that cool knowledge of your tiny men makes playing with them all that more gratifying in the end.

This. A few months ago I couldn't give even a cursory simplified description of the Napoleonic Wars. Now I can see the difference between a Voltigeur and a Fusilier (and around which year the uniform is from!). Picking a new ruleset and collecting a force for it is simply a great way to get some detailed research done, and it's one of the reasons I'm not hurrying to get into something like Guild Ball or WH40K.

Yesterday I was visiting a museum with an exhibition about the pioneer troops sent to settle Hokkaido around the same time as the Boshin War, so I could take some neat pictures of uniforms to add to my research before I get that project started.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WildFireHooligan posted:

Anybody think I Aint Been Shot Mum would translate well into the cold war era? or is there a better cold war style system that i should just sperg on.

Well there's always Team Yankee! :v:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

WildFireHooligan posted:

I saw an AAR once where a guy had used IABSM to do an engagement from...I think it was the '67 Arab-Israeli war, so yeah, it translates. I think coming up with appropriate stats for armored units will be your biggest challenge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WildFireHooligan posted:

My standard "Force on Force has a book for that" post goes here.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

My standard "Force on Force has a book for that" post goes here.

It does and it features a mission with not-Snake Plissken.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I went and bought saga crescent and cross because I wanted a new painting project and potentially a new game. I've never played historicals before so it seems like a good bridge between the skirmish war games I've played before and the more grog heavy stuff that id like to get into.

Thing is that I'd like a 28mm force so I can do clear, readable square Kufic inscriptions (this was largely the reason I got the c+c book). So two questions really - Muslim 28mm from anywhere other than Perry and gripping beast (orders in at both already), and secondly, movement trays for round-to-square. Any ideas?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

lenoon posted:

I went and bought saga crescent and cross because I wanted a new painting project and potentially a new game. I've never played historicals before so it seems like a good bridge between the skirmish war games I've played before and the more grog heavy stuff that id like to get into.

Thing is that I'd like a 28mm force so I can do clear, readable square Kufic inscriptions (this was largely the reason I got the c+c book). So two questions really - Muslim 28mm from anywhere other than Perry and gripping beast (orders in at both already), and secondly, movement trays for round-to-square. Any ideas?

Artizan has 28mm Moors:

http://artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=17&cat=106&page=1

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

How pumped?

I recently received some front rank dudes for fiw and I wasn't super impressed =/ I try not to poo poo on small businesses but they were chunky and old looking.

I also got dudes from Galloping Major, which are beautiful but huuuuge, Eureka which are beautiful, and Minden which are really nice but small.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

It does and it features a mission with not-Snake Plissken.
Depending on scale Black Ops would to it quite well too, and maybe even better if you play on running James Bond poo poo.

TBH the ruleset varies based on what size of fight you want I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

I recently received some front rank dudes for fiw and I wasn't super impressed =/ I try not to poo poo on small businesses but they were chunky and old looking.

I also got dudes from Galloping Major, which are beautiful but huuuuge, Eureka which are beautiful, and Minden which are really nice but small.

Really? I got some French Napoleonics from them, and they looked good IMHO. But looking at their website, I think their FIW range look a tad rougher than their Napoleonics.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Really? I got some French Napoleonics from them, and they looked good IMHO. But looking at their website, I think their FIW range look a tad rougher than their Napoleonics.

They're :shepspends:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lenoon posted:

Footsore Miniatures do a range of Muslim dudes that's quite nice:

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/28mm-armies-of-the-caliphates

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
What's a good 15mm dark ages/vikings range or manufacturer? I've been talking with some friends about getting into SAGA and there's interest at playing it in a smaller scale.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
My buddy made a couple good looking warbands from 1:72 plastics

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=581

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1205

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What's a good 15mm dark ages/vikings range or manufacturer? I've been talking with some friends about getting into SAGA and there's interest at playing it in a smaller scale.
I like Bauda's range of Vikings. I've been meaning to get a DBA army worth of them and Norse-Irish each so me and a friend can refight Clontarf over and over again.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I got nothing but good to say about zveda (fairly hard) plastics... other than the obligatory WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING 1/72?

E: conversely: WHY THE gently caress AREN'T WE DOING 1/72nd?1!?

Those Bauda look pretty good.

Minden from Fife and Drum look really nice but the French line is really limited in poses. Basically it's mono pose dudes in march stance for Fusiliers and Grenadiers. However their Legion de Hainault Light Infantry and their Cavalry do have some variance. As for the pictures they have online of "unfinished" mini's go they have clearly been cleaned and washed for definition. They look fantastic but gently caress all that mono pose baloney.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 14, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1/72 is the scale of kings, and Zvezda are great at any scale they try.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I am fully hard for their semi hard plastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those minis looks a lot like V&V Miniatures. I wonder if it's the same sculptor.