Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

abelian posted:

Agree that overruling like that is inappropriate in most cases.

In this case I don't think PC intended to overstep, even if he did. There was no link in the spreadsheet for 2/5, and it's difficult to keep track of details, and I think we just didn't realize that you had intentionally not moved them. Sorry about that.

In the future, to avoid stepping on toes, my recommendation would be
  • Don't issue emergency orders unless they are mission critical. And the bar for "mission critical" needs to be really loving high.
  • Everyone try to at least fill in something (even if it's a simple "no change" in the spreadhseet for every column before the deadline is up.
  • GI should provide clear and precise deadlines so we know when the drop-dead time is, and so that there is less unexpected last minute roll20 confusion

I think as an additional rule of thumb, let's try to leave it to Company Commanders to fill in for their immediate subordinates. In this case it seems like people were waiting for Dublish to fill in, and he either didn't realize that or wanted to keep the orders standing (in which case we should indicate so on the orders sheet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya I'm sorry guys, I didn't even think about it. I looked at the orders spreadsheet, saw that the tanks didn't have orders and thought that seemed like the most important thing when GI came and gave us a few minutes to do orders for things that didn't have them.

I'm sorry, I don't know what else to say at this point.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Update 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhINLhkT5IU

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xui5sodbdstzee7/Goon%20Game%20Turn%207%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0
Password: Poutine

Orders will be due this Friday at 18:00 EST

On formatting: Things have been shot. Modern combat is fast and brutal, with death happening in the blink of an eye. This format is super slow, with each minute of action taking three days at a time. I want to know if people would prefer a standard minute by minute play-through or a hybrid multi-minute per turn format where you give me conditionals so I can reasonably react with your troops without stopping the game. My reasoning for this is that with one minute turns we'll end up with players doing nothing but 'continue orders' for weeks of real time since they're not in position while other players are going fast and furious with modern combat.

Let me know what you think and we'll take it from there. For now you can treat the next turn as if it will be one minute for consistency's sake and so people can get their orders in. Gonna try and standardize on a two minute turn.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 12, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Some drat good shooting there, I think that'll spook the NATO boys quite a bit.

I think multiple minute turns would be appropriate, Redeploying any decent distance in one minute increments is going to suck. If combat starts to get real intense, maybe break it down into 2-3minute segments.

Abe, I'd appreciate it if you could get some soldier eye views of ATGM team B. Keep the trees on please, I don't like invisible tree mode. I assumed the GI would have them set to deploy weapons as soon as they stop moving, but it'd be good if you could confirm that as well.

Edit: Also the west side Missile Group, just realized that that was my HQ potentially spotting stuff.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 12, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Abe, I'd appreciate it if you could get some soldier eye views of ATGM team B. Keep the trees on please, I don't like invisible tree mode. I assumed the GI would have them set to deploy weapons as soon as they stop moving, but it'd be good if you could confirm that as well.

Edit: Also the west side Missile Group, just realized that that was my HQ potentially spotting stuff.

In the shots below, I have full trees on. The game engine though decides that, when it can't keep up, tree rendering is a nonessential function and gets cut. So to a certain extent, it's beyond my control. Also, it seems that tree branch LoS often does not line up with the camera LoS in combat mission, so there is no substitute for the LoS tool, crappy as it is.

Here you can see ATGM teams A and B, as well as the FO team. None of the teams are able to move at a faster pace than "move". The ATGM teams are rested; the FO is flashing-red-exhausted. Possibly a mistake on my part to not path the BTR along the road, but at least it didn't delay the tanks or ATGM teams. I'd guess that ATGM team A has a 20 seconds before they reach their destination, and that team B has at least another minute. I don't actually have any order to deploy (even though in the editor that's an option). So maybe they'll deploy on their own when the reach their destination?

View from ATGM 1/A's destination. Narrow field of view.

Same position as above; wider FoV. You can see the smoking hull of the bogged BTR that 2 coy took out on the left.

View from ATGM 1/B's eventual position. Note the suspected tank contact on the right (sorry I now realize I have the NATO APP-6 symbols mod enabled; the tank is the thing that looks like a bed with four bedposts; the ones with the pointy tops are personnel carriers)

Same position as above; wider FoV.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Jaguars! posted:

Some drat good shooting there, I think that'll spook the NATO boys quite a bit.

I'll say!

It didn't occur to me before, but the sight lines from those tanks down the road means that we can do a decent job cutting them off from getting to that cover on their side of the open field.

Based on their current deployment, my guess is that they're trying to push a motorized infantry force to the clump of woods SW of the intersection and hope to contest access that way. Holding the hill as we currently do really makes that more difficult. What it seems like they are NOT doing is a fast end-run around the bottom, which to me indicates that we can potentially push 1st Coy more aggressively along the west.

It also SEEMS like the recon team didn't have too much trouble getting up that ravine in their APC. I imagine it would still be pretty hairy with an entire company worth of vehicles moving through it, but it might make sense to send 1/2 and 1/3 down from different sides, and plan to shift 1/1 to support 2nd Coy in the east.

Generation Internet posted:

On formatting: Things have been shot. Modern combat is fast and brutal, with death happening in the blink of an eye. This format is super slow, with each minute of action taking three days at a time. I want to know if people would prefer a standard minute by minute play-through or a hybrid multi-minute per turn format where you give me conditionals so I can reasonably react with your troops without stopping the game. My reasoning for this is that with one minute turns we'll end up with players doing nothing but 'continue orders' for weeks of real time since they're not in position while other players are going fast and furious with modern combat.

Let me know what you think and we'll take it from there. For now you can treat the next turn as if it will be one minute for consistency's sake and so people can get their orders in.

I think the problem with having too many contingencies is that it's going to be a pain in the rear end for you to run, and will be awkward/frustrating for us to try and guess what we need to potentially plan for 5 minutes in advanced. That's a lot of room for misinterpretation and second-guessing.

I think 3m rounds is a decent compromise at this stage. As things get hotter we could step it down to 2m if needed.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 12, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So was that a triple kill or just a double kill with a single round? That was pretty awesome, I had no idea the game modeled ballistics like that.

And I'm back, Dublish, want me to remain in position or pivot with some of my units?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Hero of the Russian Federation tank (for *DOUBLE KILL*) squeezed between two lone trees and perched himself on top of a mound of dirt.

Reverse slope? Hull-down fighting position? We do not know these concepts, comrade. (N.B., to be fair, he actually is partially hull-down to most of the targets that he's engaging, the position sure looks silly though).

Hubis posted:

It didn't occur to me before, but the sight lines from those tanks down the road means that we can do a decent job cutting them off from getting to that cover on their side of the open field.

It's a pretty textbook keyhole fighting position, that's for sure. And hull down to boot.

Euro Truck Simulator meets combat mission. Semi truck, don't you know you're silhouetted on the top of Mt Silver like that? Get down from there!

Hubis posted:

It also SEEMS like the recon team didn't have too much trouble getting up that ravine in their APC.

I'd drive my very long eight wheeled vehicle down this cliff any day. No problem comrade! (for fun... Jagged Pass @ Victory Rd IRL. Looking "south" except it's not actually south, since the map is not aligned correctly with real life cardinal directions)

Hubis posted:

What it seems like they are NOT doing is a fast end-run around the bottom, which to me indicates that we can potentially push 1st Coy more aggressively along the west.

Reposting the above from earlier. Keep in mind that they likely have at least as many vehicles as us. We've only seen the tip of the spear. The rest of their forces could be bottled up behind their lead elements, but that would strike me as rather foolish of them. We don't know that they haven't sent other elements to probe the the south/west.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Yooper posted:

So was that a triple kill or just a double kill with a single round? That was pretty awesome, I had no idea the game modeled ballistics like that.

And I'm back, Dublish, want me to remain in position or pivot with some of my units?

Move one or both tanks forward so they can hopefully get a better view of the crossroads. You've got a shallow slope east for a good distance before you hit the military crest of the hill you're on- use the contours on the Roll20 map to see where it starts getting steep. You're in a good keyhole position, but it's possible they could sneak something up the hill with the terrain blocking your view.

Use your infantry to cover the forests south of the road in case they've got incoming infantry. Mount Silver is still a concern, but I'm going to have NastyToes reposition to cover the clearing. With our recon units in Jagged Pass, it's redundant to have him guarding that area.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I can't look at the save until this afternoon. For orders, I think 2 or 3 minute turns is worth trying, but I think more is infeasible.

Those APCs are in trouble in the open, but I wonder what they're doing with their tanks. They obviously pushed some troops (recon? spotters? atgm?) to try to get into that lobe of woods in the open; we may want to barrage the trees with some slow anti-personnel mortar fire in case some units made/make it there.

My best guess is they are attempting to use the road to get some infantry up into forward positions in the trees since I doubt they planned to rush a whole company of infantry without tanks up into town in the open; you can see some units turning west, I think. 2nd company might need to plan a second defensive line in case they beat us to good positions near Mt Silver or are pushing tanks there. That's another place to think about harassing mortar fire just to jumble them up.

1st Company is looking okay, I guess. The chokepoint is pretty brutal, but we are making good speed once through. Should get everybody through in the next turn and then be out of the way of 2nd Company there. I'm glad we have recon well forward into the passes, but I can't tell if the lack of any contacts means much. Might be that they are trying a wide west swing, or maybe we just can't tell poo poo from isolated terrain.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We need proper artillery NOW, thoughts?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Discussion per Roll20 last night was that we might put a mortar mission on Mirage. They probably have BTRs behind it other than that one we killed, and probably dismounting stuff into the trees.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

abelian posted:

In the shots below, I have full trees on. The game engine though decides that, when it can't keep up, tree rendering is a nonessential function and gets cut. So to a certain extent, it's beyond my control. Also, it seems that tree branch LoS often does not line up with the camera LoS in combat mission, so there is no substitute for the LoS tool, crappy as it is.

Is there a decent way to test LOS/distance from an arbitrary point?

abelian posted:

Hero of the Russian Federation tank (for *DOUBLE KILL*) squeezed between two lone trees and perched himself on top of a mound of dirt.

Scopes are crutch of decadent westerners, comrade!

abelian posted:

Euro Truck Simulator meets combat mission. Semi truck, don't you know you're silhouetted on the top of Mt Silver like that? Get down from there!

Euro-Truck Simulator, except you are driving a logistic vehicle through the Fulda Gap :getin:

(Can you link me to that symbols mod?)

abelian posted:

Reposting the above from earlier. Keep in mind that they likely have at least as many vehicles as us. We've only seen the tip of the spear. The rest of their forces could be bottled up behind their lead elements, but that would strike me as rather foolish of them. We don't know that they haven't sent other elements to probe the the south/west.

glynnenstein posted:

Those APCs are in trouble in the open, but I wonder what they're doing with their tanks. They obviously pushed some troops (recon? spotters? atgm?) to try to get into that lobe of woods in the open; we may want to barrage the trees with some slow anti-personnel mortar fire in case some units made/make it there.

My best guess is they are attempting to use the road to get some infantry up into forward positions in the trees since I doubt they planned to rush a whole company of infantry without tanks up into town in the open; you can see some units turning west, I think. 2nd company might need to plan a second defensive line in case they beat us to good positions near Mt Silver or are pushing tanks there. That's another place to think about harassing mortar fire just to jumble them up.

1st Company is looking okay, I guess. The chokepoint is pretty brutal, but we are making good speed once through. Should get everybody through in the next turn and then be out of the way of 2nd Company there. I'm glad we have recon well forward into the passes, but I can't tell if the lack of any contacts means much. Might be that they are trying a wide west swing, or maybe we just can't tell poo poo from isolated terrain.

Unless I am misreading the symbols, I think I see one unidentified tank in the very rear of the spotted column. They may have been trying to use the tanks to overwatch a forward push of recon/observers?

Anyways, if I were them (and based on what we see now) I might try and do something like this

Send out a token recon and holding force to the flats. Take the woods at the crossroads and try to use that to get a foothold on the far side of the road. Meanwhile, sweep westward along the south, using infantry to scout and secure a path while the main push of armor heads to mount silver. Hold tight at the crossroads and try to sweep around so that their main force can cross mount silver to the Highway.

e: Based on how far they are right now and depending on how much traffic they are seeing themselves, they might be half-way across that southern road, and might reach that western crossroads at the end of next turn? We might want to place artillery on the forest southwest of the main crossroads to forestall them getting a foothold there (if that is indeed how they're moving out) but I'm not certain it's worth wasting on a blind guess yet.

I agree with Glynenstein that a harass mission on the copse of trees at the far end of the flats would at least be useful tactically, if not necessarily inflicting a lot of direct material harm

Hubis fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 12, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

So things are going very well. They clearly did not anticipate us being as far forward as we are, and to be fair, neither did we. I think we need to press this advantage where we can, but avoid being overly aggressive.

Generation Internet - did some Iglas teams get deployed?

1st Coy - Keep doing what you're doing. Maybe do something clever with the fact your tanks got so far forward? I dunno, if it turns out that our scouting teams don't spot anything in the far west, you're going to go hard to Mount Pyre.

2nd Coy - Sorry again about the override, but I think it worked out ok. Be ready to receive an attack from the South across Mount Silver/the Danger Zone. If this frontal attack of theirs is called off (as I expect it will be), those forces will probably pull back and take the Fiery Path/move across Golem Draw to attack from the Southeast. That will take a while though. Overall I like that your armored element is potentially cutting them off from Mirage Island. Maybe push the tank that didn't fire forward to get better spotting? Does unbuttoning do anything to help spotting in this game? Of course it very well could be that was their forward-most element trying to make it to Mirage Island. That would match up to the distance the other vehicles we've seen have traveled. That's a minor coup if we managed it.

3rd Coy - Unleash the hounds. You've got a weakly armored and armed mechanized company element confronting a tank platoon of T-90s. Pay attention to how long your tanks are out in the open relative to how long it takes their ATGM teams to set up, but I think now is the time for Aggression to punish their marching column while we have the opportunity. Otherwise keep on keeping on.

Support Coy - Could we maybe run one of those AGL BTRs over to support 3rd Coy? Get those things set up, see if they can't do some long range anti-infantry on the dudes who I assume are going to be dismounting in mass now. I don't know how the timing works on that, but it's the longest range Anti-Personnel weaponry we have, so it might do some good over with 3rd Coy.

Also we have a request from 3rd Coy for artillery support. I think this is fair to do - since the mortars are on-map, they'll be completely under your control to do whatever you see fit. The off-map artillery will be something we need to agree on. Do we think this situation warrants 152 shells? I'm leaning toward no, mainly because our tanks seem to be doing the job on their own fairly spectacularly. What are your thoughts?

Recon - Besides the dudes on Mount Silver looking south/southeast, you're basically free to do whatever now. Drive the recon HQ down the western edge of the map as before, but where your guys go after that is up to you. You could also maybe do some clever things splitting teams and leaving some behind as scouts, but really just continue scouting and try to get eyes on the enemy to the south. The guys on Mount Silver are an important tripwire though, so I'd request that they stay where they are. Any concerns with this?

Battalion Forces - Move the battalion tank up to support 3rd Coy. I kind of suspect that they're going to lose some tanks in the near future. Don't let them know that though. Otherwise continue on as scheduled.

Are these orders ok? I'm trying to get the right balance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Im extremely apprehensive about moving our tanks especially if the reports of enemy armor on overwatch are true.

We must deploy ATGMs and ride out the storm, imo

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Im extremely apprehensive about moving our tanks especially if the reports of enemy armor on overwatch are true.

Don't take my word on that necessarily -- someone who is more used to reading the game than I am should confirm.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah, I took a closer look at the video. There's a tank back there somewhere.

Possibly trying to put it into the treeline to shoot out over the road/field. Maybe also moving behind the trees. Appears to be a sound contact.

Also: BTR-70 contacts. Don't see any BTR-4E with the dangerous autocannon and other upgrades. These have 14.5mm HMGs like ours. We still don't want our BTRs to get shot with that, though.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 12, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

professor_curly posted:

Phi230 posted:

2nd Coy - Sorry again about the override, but I think it worked out ok. Be ready to receive an attack from the South across Mount Silver/the Danger Zone. If this frontal attack of theirs is called off (as I expect it will be), those forces will probably pull back and take the Fiery Path/move across Golem Draw to attack from the Southeast. That will take a while though. Overall I like that your armored element is potentially cutting them off from Mirage Island. Maybe push the tank that didn't fire forward to get better spotting? Does unbuttoning do anything to help spotting in this game? Of course it very well could be that was their forward-most element trying to make it to Mirage Island. That would match up to the distance the other vehicles we've seen have traveled. That's a minor coup if we managed it.

I'm planning on leaving my HQ tank in position to cover Mt Silver. I need to test LOS from my current position and will do when I get home. As far as the tank that didn't fire, I'm planning on moving it up slightly to get position on the crossroads. I'm afraid of getting popped if I move ahead, but I'm not sure I can leave it where it is either.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

professor_curly posted:

Support Coy - Could we maybe run one of those AGL BTRs over to support 3rd Coy? Get those things set up, see if they can't do some long range anti-infantry on the dudes who I assume are going to be dismounting in mass now. I don't know how the timing works on that, but it's the longest range Anti-Personnel weaponry we have, so it might do some good over with 3rd Coy.

Also we have a request from 3rd Coy for artillery support. I think this is fair to do - since the mortars are on-map, they'll be completely under your control to do whatever you see fit. The off-map artillery will be something we need to agree on. Do we think this situation warrants 152 shells? I'm leaning toward no, mainly because our tanks seem to be doing the job on their own fairly spectacularly. What are your thoughts?

We're the Russians--better to keep our support fires massed than distribute them out piecemeal. And we're going to be mortaring them anyway. I disagree with this, but not too much. If 2nd Company feels that they can spare the AGS team, they can feel free to chop it to 3rd Company

Since we were so worried about running out of 152 shells earlier, I'd say this: did we see any Abrams in the vehicles? If yes, then I'll authorize the use of 152 shells in full. If not, I'd say harassment only.

As to where specifically the mortars/152s are to come down, that's going to depend on the particular LOS of our FO or command groups. I don't want to draw up a map until I have a good idea of what they can see.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

Phi230 posted:

The one that has solid contact should probably stay put. We might be able to get eyes on with another tank in short order, but would agree that any major movements would best be performed by less valuable assets.

I would think we have at least a good minute to continue the beating before having to get too concerned about retaliatory fire. Given that we have clear shots on enemy armor, but their significant armor assets do not have clear shots on us yet, I would expect them to be moving their assets into more suitable positions rather than waiting it out.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Quick logistical note - going to try and standardize on two minute turns so this doesn't take forever.

:siren:Plan your orders accordingly for a two minute turn:siren:

That mostly just means make sure you give me some conditional orders so your units can still react to threats without stopping the game every 60 seconds.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I think that 1st Company orders are sufficient for the next 2 minutes.

Forrums Terrorist, Hubis, Fray, Koolkevz666, do any platoon commanders have any suggestions or thoughts both about this orders phase and going forward?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

None in particular other than we should really get the gently caress out of the Rida chokepoint ASAP before their drones find us and we get maimgored by artillery.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, not much to say until we get recon results. Based on our estimate of their travel progress, it's going to be several videos before any proper attack can develop in our sector.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

That's what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj4R7w9-E40

Hubis
May 18, 2003

glynnenstein posted:

Forrums Terrorist, Hubis, Fray, Koolkevz666, do any platoon commanders have any suggestions or thoughts both about this orders phase and going forward?

Let's let the next two minutes play out, orders as they stand. I think 3rd Platoon can probably not dismount (which will save a LOT of time with our current turn setup) and possibly hold back, getting ready to rock down into the ravine on that western entrance, but that's just a guess. I'll probably leave my orders as they stand as even if we want to push harder I don't see myself not dismounting and leap-frogging through that middle area.

I do think 1st Platoon should possibly consider poising to swing eastward and support 2nd Company in the center, but I don't think that is something we need to worry about for the next 2m.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

glynnenstein posted:

I'd like to swing at least one tank down towards the south, we should be on a fairly high elevation and I would like to see if I can spot anything coming up from the south. Would only be a quick peek and scoot mission. Thoughts?

Here's an example:

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 13, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Not a serious idea, but I almost want to see if we could send a T-90 down into the southern part of the map just to see if it could set up somewhere and see how much havoc it could cause.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

koolkevz666 posted:

I'd like to swing at least one tank down towards the south, we should be on a fairly high elevation and I would like to see if I can spot anything coming up from the south. Would only be a quick peek and scoot mission. Thoughts?

Here's an example:

Yeah I was thinking of something like that as well. My APC is going to head to the top of that pass to your west so you wouldn't be unsupported for long. I'll try to load the map and see if there are any decent vantages from there

professor_curly posted:

Not a serious idea, but I almost want to see if we could send a T-90 down into the southern part of the map just to see if it could set up somewhere and see how much havoc it could cause.

It's not that far away. They definitely wouldn't have anything in a position that the tank would hit it in the woods, but you might be popping out blind into an advancing force.

Then again, "first-est with the most-est" and whatnot. It would be great if we could find another keyhole position to cut them off from disembarking on their side of the woods, but I don't know if that is feasible.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

1st Platoon/5th Platoon: Advance at least one tank east along the road until it has line of sight to the crossroads. Do not go any further. It's up to your discretion whether you move both tanks. Redeploy your infantry to guard against an enemy advance from Golem Draw. Do not allow your tanks to be exposed to infantry attacks.

2nd Platoon: We're still waiting to cross the swamp, so I have no new orders for you.

3rd Platoon: With 1st Platoon shifting east and recon units heading into Jagged Pass, I need you to guard Mount Silver. If anything tries to cross the open ground between Ravaged Path and Victory Road, I want you in place to stop it.

Headquarters Orders: No new orders.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Orders - Support Coy

1 Mortar Battery (3 tubes): LINE barrage as follows, LIGHT intensity, MEDIUM duration, IMMEDIATE. Intent is to suppress scouts/ATGM teams in/around Mirage Island that may have crossed Victory Road to drop shells on our heads.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 14, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Hubis posted:

Is there a decent way to test LOS/distance from an arbitrary point?
Create a movement waypoint for the unit in question, and select that waypoint. Use the "target" command with the waypoing selected. The game UI will draw a target line from the unit's position, rather than from the waypoint. Pay no attention to this; it's a lie. If you can target a location, that means that there is LoS from that location to the movement waypoint. It's extremely counterintuitive.

Hubis posted:

(Can you link me to that symbols mod?)
http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=2621

Hubis posted:

Unless I am misreading the symbols, I think I see one unidentified tank in the very rear of the spotted column. They may have been trying to use the tanks to overwatch a forward push of recon/observers?

Yes, that's a suspected/audio contact of a tank. http://spatialillusions.com/unitgenerator.html#SFG-EVAT----

Davin Valkri posted:

Orders - Support Coy

1 Mortar Battery: LINE barrage as follows, LIGHT intensity, MEDIUM duration, IMMEDIATE. Intent is to suppress scouts/ATGM teams in/around Mirage Island that may have crossed Victory Road to drop shells on our heads.

You'll need a unit to call that in. When I get a few minutes I can check which units can see that area and what the call-in times will be.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Rifle Group
No change in orders.

Previous orders here.

ATGM carriers 1 & 2.
Check that the missile teams will set up their launchers once they reach their destinations.

Only one detail to note this turn - BTR #1 should move to the south after reaching DOP 2.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Orders for 2nd Platoon and 4th Platoon, 2nd Company

Continue to marked positions as planned. Wait for 1st Company to finish its crossing before proceeding.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

None in particular other than we should really get the gently caress out of the Rida chokepoint ASAP before their drones find us and we get maimgored by artillery.

I think we will clear it fully in the next turn and spend all of turn 9 moving pretty fast away from there.

Fray posted:

Yeah, not much to say until we get recon results. Based on our estimate of their travel progress, it's going to be several videos before any proper attack can develop in our sector.

I am a bit torn between pushing hard for best possible positions and access to their left flank vs not just driving blindly into maybe 2 enemy companies. We shall see.

Hubis posted:

Let's let the next two minutes play out, orders as they stand. I think 3rd Platoon can probably not dismount (which will save a LOT of time with our current turn setup) and possibly hold back, getting ready to rock down into the ravine on that western entrance, but that's just a guess. I'll probably leave my orders as they stand as even if we want to push harder I don't see myself not dismounting and leap-frogging through that middle area.

I do think 1st Platoon should possibly consider poising to swing eastward and support 2nd Company in the center, but I don't think that is something we need to worry about for the next 2m.

I'm dying to get an idea of where the enemy will be centered. I think a far western swing by them is likely enough that we may need 1st platoon to fill in between your guys and 3rd moving farther south. Good point about keeping people in vehicles longer if we look to be moving further.

koolkevz666 posted:

Here's an example:

I'm not sure that there's any view there because of trees, but I'll have to check in game this afternoon. I am thinking it's more likely we push you farther south along the extreme west toward open ground near Hubis' speculative enemy left flank with 3rd platoon covering the woods. I think PC has something similar in mind. In any case, I think I would prefer that you keep the 3 tanks together to ensure best possible fire superiority if you're suprised. I think with infantry moving up this this orders phase you will soon be moving toward the Mt Pyre vicinity.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Right! The armor is looking pretty good. My BTR's are running into pathing issues through the forest so I'm sending sending them back a bit to follow a road out. In addition I'll be moving up my southern tank into a small rise further down the road. It looks like it'll still give me a hulldown and coverage of that crossroads. Right now that tank doesn't have visibility until about 2km out (the steel bridge).

HQ Tank will remain in reserve where he is.
Tank #1 will remain in position on the North sidish side of the road.
Tank #2 will move FAST to the marked position. There's a slight dip in the terrain there that should allow for some hulldown positioning with allowing for a view down that steeper section.

Cancel current moves on all three of my BTR's. Instead send them west QUICK and have them use the road to get onto the main road. At that point move FAST until they reach TANK #1. Halt here and continue the rest of the move in the second minute of this round. From that point I'd like to drop the three BTR's along the woodline as marked in BLUE above.

If I may have a conditional order, if Tank #1 gets popped on its way into position during that first minute turn, please halt my three BTR's on the back side of the rise behind Tank #1.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

glynnenstein posted:

I'm not sure that there's any view there because of trees, but I'll have to check in game this afternoon. I am thinking it's more likely we push you farther south along the extreme west toward open ground near Hubis' speculative enemy left flank with 3rd platoon covering the woods. I think PC has something similar in mind. In any case, I think I would prefer that you keep the 3 tanks together to ensure best possible fire superiority if you're suprised. I think with infantry moving up this this orders phase you will soon be moving toward the Mt Pyre vicinity.

All right its your call I'll just have the three tanks group up in the old initial positions until I get further orders.

Tanks continue to Quick move following the black arrow until the reach the other side of the road where I would like them deployed for one tank for each square facing the direction of the yellow arrow. Thank you.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Recon Platoon

Yellow:
Go up the west side of the hill so that the BTR is shielded from enemy LOS. Dismount ~30m away on the west side of the hill (so the BTR isn't exposed), split into teams and disperse and HIDE along the ridgeline, makign sure a team is on the summit.
Red:
Back up and go through the southern valley. The gradient looks more traversable and it lets us look down another likely avenue of approach.
Blue:
Keep doing what you were doing.

I'm going to be away for the next week so will need a stand-in for that time.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

1st Coy / 2nd Platoon

Previous orders stand as given.

Hubis posted:

1st Coy / 2nd Platoon

1st Squad
Proceed E along the road.
ACQUIRE 3 RPG-26, 5 93mm AT rockets, 500 7.62x54R and 500 5.45mm from APC
DISMOUNT at point indicated and move S; APC continue E down road and take up position at the corner of the copse of trees looking down the ravine
SPLIT SCOUT section off.
Scout section proceed quickly to the edge of the woods at the outcropping as indicated, looking SSE down the ravine.
Main squad continue further along the woods, then take position at the edge of the woods looking ESE along the ravine.

2nd Squad
Proceed S along dirt road to the hilltop, then S along the edge of the woods.
DISMOUNT at point indicated and head SE into the woods
SPLIT into sections and position as indicated
APC, proceed to indicated position just in the edge of the woods by the path facing SSE

3rd Squad
Proceed S along dirt road to the hilltop, then S along the edge of the woods.
DISMOUNT at indicated point and head ESE through woods
SPLIT into sections and proceed to the edge of the woods as indicated
APC proceed to position indicated within the the edge of the woods facing SE

HQ
Remain within APC as indicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon

Cancel previous orders and move the BTRs quick along the yellow path. Park next to the trees and dismount the Infantry, then move the infantry at quick to the shown positions.

• Locked thread