Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Whoa, I just pulled into Newholm Station and saw blue sparks crackling here and there across the exterior. Is that a construction thing? A UA bombing thing? Just a normal thing that I've never noticed before for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Trustworthy posted:

Whoa, I just pulled into Newholm Station and saw blue sparks crackling here and there across the exterior. Is that a construction thing? A UA bombing thing? Just a normal thing that I've never noticed before for some reason?

It's been like that for a couple of weeks, maybe a few months even? I first noticed it after the bombing...

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
Poll: How should players transfer to friend's ships?

:unsmigghh:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Should have to be at the same station, obviously. It wouldn't be realistic otherwise. :smugdog:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They shpuld be able to telepresence as needed, duh

with a 50 mil bandwidth fee

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

If it's anything other than hot join from anywhere at anytime the functionality is useless. I don't even know how you'd justify it working any other way :psyduck:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can already smell the juicy tears

Edit: of course 66% demand that you be docked at the same station, otherwise it would be fun immersion breaking and no sir we ain't having none of that

Edit 2:

quote:

"Immersion" in many cases just means "things make sense"

Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength. Fun is tedium.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 12, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
The OP of that thread does sensibly point out that if it's not instantaneous and is location bound then explorers will never get to play with friends. As someone who enjoys exploring and aspires to have friends, I want hotjoin.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Is that a problem with multicrew specifically or a problem with exploring in general though? They suffer a huge opportunity cost already for lots of stuff.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't get it. Why can't one roleplay that they are playing an NPC pilot in their friend's ship and be instantly there? How is that somehow immersion breaking? :iiam:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

For crying out loud, it is simple. You want to join a friend, you push a button, he pushes another one to accept and you are there.
You want out, you push a button, you leave and go back to your ship. Granted, there is a slight problem with what your ship is doing while you are away, but its not like the game does not have exploits, or that those would matter anyway in a game like this...despawn the ship, like you logged off, and you are done.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 12, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm fine with only being able to join friends in the same station if they change CQC to only be playable if you physically dock at the station, and you can only battle other players at that station.

Otherwise it makes no sense... :smugbert:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I like the dude bros idea that you can take over anywhere if they have crew.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's been like that for a couple of weeks, maybe a few months even? I first noticed it after the bombing...
They're using the under construction station model, ie. the station body with big engines, and they don't rotate, apparently that has been the case since they were added? I was just looking that up last weekend because I noticed the stations saying "Orbis Starport, construction " when you select them in your contacts list. I think :frontear: has to manually upgrade them to different station models.

E: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/297199-Sothis-Ceos-still-under-construction-!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mr. Crow posted:

I like the dude bros idea that you can take over anywhere if they have crew.

It works well because you can have crew even without a fighter bay.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mike the TV posted:

It works well because you can have crew even without a fighter bay.

But NPCs have names and pictures so they are just like real human beings and you can't just take over their mind you monster

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
While being required to join when docked at the same station would be immersive, it's not feasible from a gameplay stance. Perhaps your friend has been playing for a couple of hours and is quite far away from you in the bubble. If you could join them from anywhere, it would be more fun than needing to coordinate to join them at a station. You might have people logging off and on for different times. If you're HazRES farming, should you need them to head to the closest station so you can join them? It would let someone who might not be that skilled at getting around or able to afford the proper FSD to get to your friends ship. You may have someone who has been trying the game for a couple of hours but wants to actually participate in shooting while someone more skilled flies around.
Seriously, another player to aid you in a ship would be great to get people to play the game together. Even moreso if one person can control the main ship and the other person flies a ship launched fighter.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jesus

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There needs to be a rule where broken 40+ year olds can only collectively submit 1 awful tedious idea per patch

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The autopilot thread is even better.

Pointed out at one point:
"We want our AI NPC crews to be able to fly our ships!
"We don't want any auto-pilot at all! It's not in line with the idea of Elite Dangerous!

Of course, the guy who pointed it out has been shunned by all of those suffering from Immersion Cancer.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Has Frontier ever hinted at what multi crew activities would actually be available? Besides flying a ship launched fighter, which is kinda lame because you could just be there in your own ship, what's in the works?

Clearly ships are currently running as one-man shows, and unless you can put a guy manning turrets or doing some mini game to repair the hull or strengthen shields (kinda weak options too) I really can't see the point of it

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Has Frontier ever hinted at what multi crew activities would actually be available? Besides flying a ship launched fighter, which is kinda lame because you could just be there in your own ship, what's in the works?

Clearly ships are currently running as one-man shows, and unless you can put a guy manning turrets or doing some mini game to repair the hull or strengthen shields (kinda weak options too) I really can't see the point of it

There will be a guy manning turrets, manning the shields, manning engines, and of course one person piloting.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo.

So this guy just posted these replies to some things I said in the Autopilot thread on the :frontear: forums.

Alien, the ancient, all knowing, all seeing, been-here-the-longest motherfucker on the forum posted:

*sigh* ... you want a valid counter-argument? Here's a valid counter-arguement. FRONTIER DO NOT WANT TO PUT SYSTEM TO SYSTEM AUTOPILOT INTO THE GAME.

There, happy? ... No? You want me to justify that too? OK then. While I don't speak for Frontier Developments, I have been here longer than nearly all posting on the forum now (including some Frontier employees), so I've seen a lot of debate about this game, almost certainly more than you. I know Frontier do not want Star Trek style technology like transporters or food replicators, they want Elite to be more like Star Wars, and for you to be more like Han Solo. I have seen Frontier state, quite literally, they want YOU to fly the ship and not have the ship (or game) fly itself. Yes they have put the docking computer in the game, but this is a nod to the Original Elite, that's why it plays the Blue Danube. Why Blue Danube? because when David and Ian were programming Elite in 1984, they wanted a copyright free music to use, and they like Blue Danube.

So, why not have something new in this Elite game? There are many new features in this Elite game, but it's Frontier's game, not yours. I looked up an old video earlier to make a comment in Obsidian Ant's thread on multicrew, and it became apparent to me while re-watching those old videos from 4 years ago, Frontier's and David's vision for the game has not changed. They didn't want a system to system autopilot then, and it's safe to guess they still don't want it now.

That's why. Debate over.

That idiot, Alien posted:

Oh if you want an e-peen waving contest, then listen up ... I have been here a long time means I've seen many discussions on this forum get repeated. I have a very good idea of what Elite "is". I know people in this community through this forum and in real life. I have campaigned for Elite IV since before the kickstarter. The only reason you're here at all "debating" a non-existent feature is because Frontier decided to launch a kickstarter, and it can be said I had a direct part to play in that.
So, you want to cut the crap? fine ... how about YOU start showing some respect ... boy.

I literally laughed so hard that I had to get up and leave the office to compose myself.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

can we please program some of that guy into frogbear? :D

E: boy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LCL-Dead posted:

Holy poo poo.

So this guy just posted these replies to some things I said in the Autopilot thread on the :frontear: forums.

I literally laughed so hard that I had to get up and leave the office to compose myself.

Hahahahaha

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

isn't the Blue Danube on the docking comp an homage to 2001?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

Fun is tedium.

Frontier's mission statement right there.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Its all about the number of hours you spend before you realise that all of this is pointless and we will all die some day.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Efexeye posted:

Yes, unequivocally.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Its all about the number of hours you spend before you realise that all of this is pointless and we will all die some day.

driving around on planets is still in to me at least

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

LCL-Dead posted:

Holy poo poo.
:allears:

Efexeye posted:

Yeah, quite blatantly so.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

At least it looks cool.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

Holy poo poo.

Thanks for reminding me that although I am a bad, lovely person, at least I am not the worst, shittiest person. That spot is taken and I shall sleep easy tonight.

Also please tell me that you replied "nice meltdown"

IAmTheRad posted:

There will be a guy manning turrets, manning the shields, manning engines, and of course one person piloting.

So people will basically be a pip management system? That's... Unimpressive. Or will they make you able to push the limit and do crazy stuff? Genuinely curious here

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Only :frontear: knows.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
If that guy and his ilk have any actual influence on the game's development it would sure explain a lot

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

IAmTheRad posted:

Only :frontear: knows.

And if Frontier knows, then Grognards know! :eng101:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Has any game ever figured out what to do with multiple crew in a game where one person can fly the whole ship? Discounting that star trek commmand game because that was built around the idea...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Elite Dangerous: So, you want to cut the crap? fine ... how about YOU start showing some respect ... boy.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

frank.club posted:

There needs to be a rule where broken 40+ year olds can only collectively submit 1 awful tedious idea per patch

Make a poll on this! :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Here's an idea of that could maybe make everyone happy or at least happy-ish:

You can instantly join anyone's ship, from anywhere in the galaxy, as long as they have npc crewmembers. 80% of the experience and money that gets made goes to the ship's commander and crewmembers though. You're basically just role-playing as that commander's npc crewmembers.

But, you can also dock at the same station as another commander, store your ship, and then join their ship as yourself, in addition to/in place of the NPC crew, and when you do it like that it becomes a more fair money/experience split between you, the guest commander, and the ship's commander. Would be a decent balance between convenience and :qq:immersion:qq:, and would make sense when combined with space legs too.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 12, 2016

• Locked thread