Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

unknown posted:

It's the same warehouse in the backend. There's a guy in a cage at the warehouse who activates the phone if you order via Rogers/Bell/whoever. (He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings).

Haha what, are you saying that Rogers Pixel phones would come from the same warehouse as the Google Play Store? I don't believe you.....

Godinster posted:

I actually work for the same company whose phone it is you're exchanging now. Times are fun.

Our rep is being very clueless, I'm a daring brave adventurer so I'm gonna keep using my Note in the meantime :v: I'm not flying anywhere soon thank god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

unknown posted:

It's the same warehouse in the backend. There's a guy in a cage at the warehouse who activates the phone if you order via Rogers/Bell/whoever. (He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings).

Is that why my new phone had one contact named "help I am being held in a giant cage"?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Our rep is being very clueless, I'm a daring brave adventurer so I'm gonna keep using my Note in the meantime :v: I'm not flying anywhere soon thank god

I can't wait to inevitably fly to an event in a few months with 6+ Samsung phones in my bag and get questioned by the security people.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

unknown posted:

He's in a cage for security since he's got access to be able to change people's phone billings

Please elaborate

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Ported 2 lines, no problems

Update for the curious. Slightly different call quality, otherwise reception (where i am) is good, and it seems to be a good deal.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Lexicon posted:

Please elaborate

Last time I was there (okay, a while ago, so maybe they've changed it now but I doubt it), the process was the phone got picked off the warehouse shelf, handed to the guy in the cage who then programs the phone company's billing/activation system with it (and note - they could put it on anyone's account if they so wanted to - hence the physical security, also 1 computer per provider), hands it back out to the picker who then ships the phone to the end customer.

The logistics company dealt with all the providers at the same time.

Basically like any store, except there's a lot more staff running around who are paid minimum wage, so you have to control access to the important bits to just a few people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Are Pixel purchases from the Canadian Play Store offering that daydream deal thing like the US store is? I can't find anything on this :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I have a question about unlocking phones. I have a Note 3 through Telus, but I'm going to live in Belize for two months and want to get a SIM card there because the internet at the place I'm staying is extremely limited, but I need to be in contact with my university, submitting projects, etc. Are there better options aside from paying the fee to Telus, I have no experience in this and am terrified to experiment with online sites and codes and such.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Get one through a reputable seller on eBay. It'll cost you less than half of what Telus wants for it. Don't buy from anyone with anything less than ~99.5% rating and you should be fine, a quick search for "Galaxy Unlocked Telus" on eBay.ca turned up a few dozen results, averaging around $16. That's about $35 cheaper than Telus will likely charge.

Just make sure you have a friend or family member's Bell/Rogers/Fido/Virgin or any other non Telus/Koodo SIM so you can insert it, get prompted for the unlock code, and then unlock it with the code provided.

I've done this method for several family members with no isses. I've also used cellunlock.net years ago but I have no idea if they're competitive price-wise anymore.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 16, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A while ago I got an unlock code from these folks for my HTC piece of crap. It worked. They appear to have been in business for at least the last three years, which in the world of phone unlocking is probably akin to stretching back to roman times.

https://www.quickphoneunlock.com/unlock/

Here it says they do the Telus Note 3 for $19.99

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Don't fear buying an unlock code.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Just buy an unlock code through ebay. I've probably done it 10 times with various makers and I've never had an issue.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Then that's what I'll do. I appreciate your help!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The Guy that was pushed as being the one to make Rogers less of a lovely company to deal with was suddenly shown the door today.

I doubt they'll bother trying to get that message out again.

Look for new depths of shittyness to come. I'm hoping for negative option cellphone billing and the return of MacLean-Hunter as a sort of starched shirt & wainscotted brand of services tailored to the upper crust.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

shadow puppet of a posted:

The Guy that was pushed as being the one to make Rogers less of a lovely company to deal with was suddenly shown the door today.

I doubt they'll bother trying to get that message out again.

Look for new depths of shittyness to come. I'm hoping for negative option cellphone billing and the return of MacLean-Hunter as a sort of starched shirt & wainscotted brand of services tailored to the upper crust.

He brought in the "roam like home" thing, which was the single halfway-commensurate-with-cellular-in-other-countries offering we've seen here for half a decade. I doubt we'll see his like again.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm traveling to Montreal next week for 5-6 days. Can anyone recommend a sim I can pop in my iPhone mainly for data?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

EconOutlines posted:

I'm traveling to Montreal next week for 5-6 days. Can anyone recommend a sim I can pop in my iPhone mainly for data?

Like it says in the OP about this - lol nope!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

EconOutlines posted:

Hahahahahahaha. Oh wait, you were serious. Let me laugh even harder. AHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EconOutlines posted:

Visit a starbucks, mcdonalds, or tim hortons for your 'canadian roaming' needs. No need to thank me.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

EconOutlines posted:

Public wireless is pretty new, and might work for you, but they don't have any brick and mortar locations so you might have trouble getting one.

Otherwise see the previous comments

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I thought Rogers had pay-as-you-go/prepaid where you can just buy a SIM and put it in an unlocked phone. You can load it with, uh, 60 bucks or something like that, it gives you unlimited calling and texting and 1GB of data? There are lower plans too, and their retail locations are everywhere.

Living here though I've never had to do that. Doesn't 7-11 still sell SpeakOut? When I wanted to test if my phone was truly unlocked I bought a SIM and $20 from them to test, I don't know what their data is like though since I didn't need data, I just wanted to use my unlocked phone as a backup phone.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They want mostly data and 711 speak out is terrible for data. 1MB is a real billable increment in SpeakOut land, the land the 90's forgot apparently, and they best they can do is 10$ per 100mb.

Petro Canada prepaid might be better, $40 + a sim + $1.25 for 911 service gets you 1GB, 25 whole minutes of calling and unlimited texting. Easy to get started if they can find a gas station after crossing the border.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Risky Bisquick posted:

Visit a starbucks, mcdonalds, or tim hortons for your 'canadian roaming' needs. No need to thank me.

Pizza Pizza™ ( :barf: ) too! :eng101:

I think you're actually better off getting a one month American plan and roaming with that as I recall.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
If there was an affordable data SIM option you could get easily, they would be constantly sold out from residents before tourists could get any.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sprint you pay $2/day to roam using the existing service plan you have.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I figured the OP might have changed since 2013 but apparently not.

Verizon does the same thing, so I'll just do the $2/day add-on. Last time I was in Canada (2011/2012) I was able to purchase a SIM, but it seems like you guys got hosed. :(

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The inverse of this being I was looking for US phone service for two weeks and T-mobile just sold me a 3.99 sim for my AWS Wind phone that comes with 30 mins or 30 texts included and a gig of data is just $10 if I want to add that later.

Free shipping on that 3.99 sim too.

We live inside some sort of punishment zone level of cellular hell.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Someone edit the OP to say Switch to Public Mobile (TELUS MVNO) $38 prepaid, or a MB/SK/QC plan.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm selling my unlocked Google Nexus 6P in the SA mart in case anyone's interested. Spare me from shipping to some yank at double the rate.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795293

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Risky Bisquick posted:

Someone edit the OP to say Switch to Public Mobile (TELUS MVNO) $38 prepaid, or a MB/SK/QC plan.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-limited-time-4gb-40-plan-promo-launching-october-25th-2050037/

Before was $38 for can Calling / can +us texting / 2gb data
Now it's $40 for prov calling / can+us texting / 4gb data

:prepop: This company is unreal

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You keep it as long as you're a customer?

Bye bye, Wind! :commissar:

Rogers delenda est

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/public-mobile-limited-time-4gb-40-plan-promo-launching-october-25th-2050037/

Even cheaper than my old SK plan and all I lose is Canada-wide Calling. Generally all I need if I'm outside of Ontario is email access. If I have to make a few phone calls while roaming once every few years then I'll just eat the costs since I'm still way ahead on the plan savings. Great plan and it will save me another $10 a month for the same service.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hour does em this compare to my $30 wind plan at 5gb?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It uses the Telus network, which actually "works".

I have that Wind plan, and their data is wildly inconsistent even on the same street, terrible at building penetration, and slow as gently caress.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You will get service crossing the street, or entering into a building of any kind

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with the 90 day billing cycle? Do you actually get charged $120 every 3 months or do they still give you the option to pay per-month? Do you have to pay the $120 up front?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cool. I'm probably going to do this tonight. Reviews on google have me a bit up in the air but I'll take 4g.

I would also like to know about the 90day billing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

can I keep my number from Rogers if I do this

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

BANME.sh posted:

What's the deal with the 90 day billing cycle? Do you actually get charged $120 every 3 months or do they still give you the option to pay per-month? Do you have to pay the $120 up front?

3 months

w00tmonger posted:

Cool. I'm probably going to do this tonight. Reviews on google have me a bit up in the air but I'll take 4g.

I would also like to know about the 90day billing

see above

THC posted:

can I keep my number from Rogers if I do this

Thats called number porting, see my summary below

quote:

4GB LTE / Province Talk / Anywhere Text / CD / basic VM plan in ON/BC/*

Coverage: TELUS
What about ZONES? No Zones, get out
What phones work with this? Locked TELUS/Koodo phones, or unlocked phones.
What happens after 90d? You renew and grandfather your prepaid plan forever and ever and ever
What about LD? You can prepay for some minutes, or use a voip app with your generous data plan

How do I get this deal? Order the sim card from the website, wait for the sim card to arrive, activate the sim card, enjoy your savings
But... how do I port my number? You follow the steps above, and follow the web prompts that deal with porting your number during the sim card activation process, which takes about an hour.
Can this deal get even better? Yes, set your account up for autopay and save $2 a month. You're richer than you think
Is that all? Ofcourse not, refer your friends for a dollar ($1) a month off... each :vince:!
Holy #!@# No need for expletives, just take your money and run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to do this too. WIND is killing me with their poo poo coverage and garbage speeds. The only reason I've stayed with them is for the $15/mo unlimited roaming plan for the 4 times I year I go to the states.

Anyone have a referral code they want me to use?