Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Bloodborne update:

All the notes left by other people right outside the arena for Father Gascoigne made me worried I was going to have a repeat of my experience with the Cleric Beast, but it's amazing how easy it was to beat him since he's so susceptible to being staggered with the gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iPhone headphones won't work properly with DS4, the mic isn't wired properly. As headphones they work fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you can find Vita earbuds for cheap they are super good. Panasonic Ergofit are also good for audio and chat purposes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think MGSV was in an unfortunate situation of having people hype it up so much in their heads that scores of people would be disappointed no matter how the story went. My first reaction to the twist was "...huh," but I like it more and more as time goes by. Trying to thread every plotline results in overdone messes like MGS4 so I'll take what we got over that any day of the week. The gameplay is still the best ever for stealth-action and overall it's incredibly polished.

Maybe.

Or maybe it's just a case of MGS3 being so good and 4 and 5 being the worst entries in the main series by a landslide.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Bloodborne update:

All the notes left by other people right outside the arena for Father Gascoigne made me worried I was going to have a repeat of my experience with the Cleric Beast, but it's amazing how easy it was to beat him since he's so susceptible to being staggered with the gun
It's good you've learned this early. This is a big roadblock for many as you saw, even with the music box weakening him.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Maybe.

Or maybe it's just a case of MGS3 being so good and 4 and 5 being the worst entries in the main series by a landslide.
Surely that depends what you want from those games?

4 was weak, to me, because I didn't want a stealth game that was even more linear than 3 and frequently turned into a third person shooter and had hour long cutscenes for every 15 minutes of play. 5 was the sort of stealth game I didn't even know I wanted, with the perfect ratio (for me) of story to gameplay (I listened to all the tapes as I did side missions.)

It's the sort of series where I wouldn't be surprised if someone said any given game was their favourite.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Akuma posted:

It's the sort of series where I wouldn't be surprised if someone said any given game was their favourite.

I'll give you this.

Though under certain conditions I'd question the sanity of said someone.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you can find Vita earbuds for cheap they are super good. Panasonic Ergofit are also good for audio and chat purposes

Yeah mine have lasted since around launch, with some heavy use.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

HGH posted:

even with the music box weakening him.

Aw man, what?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rolo posted:

Aw man, what?

I guess that's what the hints were talking about. I thought about it when the name popped up, since she was looking for her dad, but then I forgot about it once the fight actually started. what does it actually do?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

morallyobjected posted:

I guess that's what the hints were talking about. I thought about it when the name popped up, since she was looking for her dad, but then I forgot about it once the fight actually started. what does it actually do?

Stuns him for a moment. Stops working after a few uses, though.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

It causes him to reel back and become vulnerable for an attack or a visceral attack. If you abuse it he switches phases faster, however.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

morallyobjected posted:

did you find the item after the fight and go back and talk to her ? :)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Akuma posted:

Surely that depends what you want from those games?

4 was weak, to me, because I didn't want a stealth game that was even more linear than 3 and frequently turned into a third person shooter and had hour long cutscenes for every 15 minutes of play. 5 was the sort of stealth game I didn't even know I wanted, with the perfect ratio (for me) of story to gameplay (I listened to all the tapes as I did side missions.)

Even a weak MGS game is still a great game when compared to other comparable AAA offerings. V has the best gameplay by a fairly wide margin. 1 and 3 are probably the tightest in terms of getting gameplay and story to dovetail. 2 is the most ambitious in terms of story. Peace Walker, while offering a totally different gameplay experience than its predecessors, is still a very well rounded game. Portable Ops is...well, it's there. 4 has good gameplay in some of the rare instances when it's there, and narratively it falls apart after Chapter 1. But trying to rank them is kinda pointless.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Even a weak MGS game is still a great game when compared to other comparable AAA offerings. V has the best gameplay by a fairly wide margin. 1 and 3 are probably the tightest in terms of getting gameplay and story to dovetail. 2 is the most ambitious in terms of story. Peace Walker, while offering a totally different gameplay experience than its predecessors, is still a very well rounded game. Portable Ops is...well, it's there. 4 has good gameplay in some of the rare instances when it's there, and narratively it falls apart after Chapter 1. But trying to rank them is kinda pointless.

3 > 1 > 2 >>> 5 >>>>>>> 4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The phantom pain is felt by the player. Genius

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Real hurthling! posted:

The phantom pain is felt by the player. Genius

You can still feel where the story was but when you try to find it all you see is a bloody stump.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Jebus posted:

You can still feel where the story was but when you try to find it all you see is a bloody stump.

Exactly. Dont you see. You and snake and kaz are brothers now. Youre diamond dogs

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If I just want to play The Division by myself can I do that? I enjoyed the beta well enough to go through the story at the $10 it's sort of hovering about now.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Harlock posted:

If I just want to play The Division by myself can I do that? I enjoyed the beta well enough to go through the story at the $10 it's sort of hovering about now.
Yeah, it's fine as SP. Just don't go into the DZ alone as you'll probably get horribly murdered/poo poo on by people who have had the game since launch and know what they're doing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'd even recommend doing the story missions with pubbies so the AI isn't always focusing on you. I enjoyed most everything up to endgame, it's probably worth $10.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

For ten dollars it's worth running around. It's pretty cool recreation of a city in a videogame.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's like Kojipro spent 5 years on MGSV's animations and camera and about two years total on every single other aspect of it. It's such a weird game for being so glaringly incomplete in some ways, yet with features and polish that are light years ahead of anything else.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

For ten dollars it's worth running around. It's pretty cool recreation of a city in a videogame.

I knew nothing about the geography of New York so that was a cool aspect of it.

I was playing it while also watching Daredevil season two and when I found Hell's Kitchen (and cleared it in 15 minutes), I was like, so this is what everyone is fighting over?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In the MCU, Hell's Kitchen is all of the city that isn't Harlem.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

It's like Kojipro spent 5 years on MGSV's animations and camera and about two years total on every single other aspect of it. It's such a weird game for being so glaringly incomplete in some ways, yet with features and polish that are light years ahead of anything else.

The only impression that MGSV left me with is that every game should have a dive-to-prone move. Everything else is just mysterious pain.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE6 had that yet everyone complains about the controls :rolleyes:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The only impression that MGSV left me with is that every game should have a dive-to-prone move. Everything else is just mysterious pain.

Every game also needs R3-to-zoom as a fundamental quality-of-life feature, animations that allow for a large variety of positions and aim directions, perfectly smooth transitions between all stances, subtle but pervasive depth of field and motion blur, slow motion with distortion that makes it look like it was recorded on high-speed film, and camerawork that turns the entire game into a single steadicam shot. Sometimes I like to just go prone and roll around and aim at stuff, or go from prone to crouch-walk to prone again, and just marvel at how goddamn good it all looks and feels.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You get a new level of appreciation for MGS's sound design in 4 and V with a good pair of headphones. The wind-whipping sound effects in V are :ocelot:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In MGS4 and V, Snake is basically an action figure with many points of articulation. He's just so fun to move around. So many other third person shooters lack that freedom.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

acksplode posted:

slow motion with distortion that makes it look like it was recorded on high-speed film

This was such a cool effect

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Harlock posted:

I've heard that the 1.4 patch coming sometime this month I think fixes a ton of poo poo with The Division so yeah for $10 it's worth it. Game might be good enough to jump back into soon enough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mgsv is far and away the best stealth game ever made, but at the same time it's a very weird feeling to come out of a metal gear game wishing there were more cutscenes

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Skeezy posted:

I've heard that the 1.4 patch coming sometime this month I think fixes a ton of poo poo with The Division so yeah for $10 it's worth it. Game might be good enough to jump back into soon enough.

Yup. 1-30 is fun solo, better with friends. Solo end game is where the problems are but most of that is getting fixed with the 1.4. By the game you get to that point the patch should have dropped.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

mgsv is far and away the best stealth game ever made, but at the same time it's a very weird feeling to come out of a metal gear game wishing there were more cutscenes

V plays better than III as an action game, but its stealth is inferior.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

RE6 had that yet everyone complains about the controls :rolleyes:

It's more that RE6 explains jack poo poo about the controls than anything, so people think it has bad controls as a result. Once you know them, they're intuitive but the ingame tutorial is worthless and doesn't teach you a drat thing and there was no manual for the game. I only learned about the dive-to-prone move in RE6 after reading up on how to do it online and that's pretty bad.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

acksplode posted:

Not unreasonable considering you can work on the art assets before you know how the game is going to shape up. It probably would save time in normal production to get those cracking early and then fill in the rest when it's available. That is, of course, assuming you got the story concepts down before you crafted the gameplay, rather than making a story to fit the gameplay you were able to create. It's certainly risky, but Kojima is definitely the kind who wouldn't give a gently caress how drat risky

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

V's stealth is way better than III's where 'stealth' meant 'be effectively invisible or run around CQCing everyone."

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Here's a hardcore technical analysis of the new Tomb Raider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKNpPYhnmAk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

V plays better than III as an action game, but its stealth is inferior.

you can't throw snakes on people in 5, this checks out

• Locked thread