Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Frobbe posted:

i checked the prices, and for 3 resin condors, i can buy a starter army box!

You have come to the correct conclusion. ;)

Picking up a second starter can be useful for the medium dropships and options like sabres, but you will find chunks of it is largely surplus. Like any APC in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone used the Broadsword much yet? Gonna give mine a whirl on Thursday but unsure what I should support it with, might slap some Falcons-Bs in there as they seem fairly independent? Thoughts anyone?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So not knowing much about the rules or the ship's is it worthwhile to get 2 of the starters?
Ie is there enough variety/value to justify it?

My first starters on the way but my shaltari hasn't shipped yet

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So not knowing much about the rules or the ship's is it worthwhile to get 2 of the starters?
Ie is there enough variety/value to justify it?

My first starters on the way but my shaltari hasn't shipped yet

Yeah 2 starters gets you 6 cruisers and 8 frigates, you will easily use that. I think each faction has something like 8 cruiser variants so there is plenty to play around with.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
There's a lot of variety and that feels challenging right now having never played the game, only having skin read the rules and having a burning desire to build and paint. I think without stating the obvious that some form of strike carrier/ troop ship is vital and probably in significant numbers. Although as a Shaltari player it's tricky trying to work out how many motherships I need to build.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yeah, i'm very tempted to pick up another starter fleet until my pledge arrives.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

From playing a little bit at 1k. Trust me two starter fleets are the way to go.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Serotonin posted:

Although as a Shaltari player it's tricky trying to work out how many motherships I need to build.

A few people seem to be swearing blind that one is not enough, but it's really hard to say at this point as most people don't have any stuff yet.

I think I'll be holding back a bit on assembling all my stuff as I don't want to double up on something I may not actually need.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Alright thanks for the responses, 2 starters it is!

I keep having flashbacks to Battlefleet gothic when it came out. So many ship choices to choose from. But don't choose wrong or you'll be stuck with x cruiser instead of the clearly superior y cruiser

Edit: can anyone confirm if the starter Comes with the full rulebook and/or a map to play on?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I just looked at the kickstarter for Dropfleet commander. The main influence from Battlefleet gothic is pretty obvious, cuz it looks like they've gone with a rulebook shaped like the one that came with the original BFG box. Which was a lovely rulebook design.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Alright thanks for the responses, 2 starters it is!

I keep having flashbacks to Battlefleet gothic when it came out. So many ship choices to choose from. But don't choose wrong or you'll be stuck with x cruiser instead of the clearly superior y cruiser

Edit: can anyone confirm if the starter Comes with the full rulebook and/or a map to play on?
Yes to first, the mat is 3x4 IIRC.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Frobbe posted:

I just looked at the kickstarter for Dropfleet commander. The main influence from Battlefleet gothic is pretty obvious, cuz it looks like they've gone with a rulebook shaped like the one that came with the original BFG box. Which was a lovely rulebook design.

Well its also designed in some part by Andy Chambers.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Ugleb posted:

A few people seem to be swearing blind that one is not enough, but it's really hard to say at this point as most people don't have any stuff yet.

I think I'll be holding back a bit on assembling all my stuff as I don't want to double up on something I may not actually need.

I've got 10 cruiser sprues once I've swapped my extra freebie bits with my mates. So far I've made a Obsidian Heavy Cruiser, a mothership, a fleet carrier and I think the Amethyst cruiser. I'm going to hold off and try and get a game or two inch before committing to any more building.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Once I receive my kickstarter, I'll probably order up some more bits. I'm really tempted to build one of every class, because "space navy pokemon."

I'm tempted to try the "buy a starter set and see what arrives first" but I live in SEA, so that probably wouldn't work.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Building one of each cruiser, or figuring out how to magnetise something that won't fall apart every time it is touched, is pretty much my go to. But that comes after I get my stuff, read the rules and figure out what my first 3 PHR cruisers will be. Then I will build a few frigates to match and probably build my Leonidas to play some early games with.

I will building one, and only one, of those torpedo cruisers because they sound cool but probably impractical.

I suspect PHR might be the easier fleet to learn basics with than Shaltari and I think that I have a better idea of how to paint them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Shaltari are a piece of piss to paint. Will use same technique as I did on my Dropzone models. Airbrush, wash, dry brush and detail. Did my entire DZC force in half a day.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Serotonin posted:

Shaltari are a piece of piss to paint. Will use same technique as I did on my Dropzone models. Airbrush, wash, dry brush and detail. Did my entire DZC force in half a day.

Ya, I'm assuming my Shaltari will take like zero time to paint... question will be if i can actually magnetize them... otherwise I'm gonna need to decide what ships I want...

YF19pilot posted:

I'm tempted to try the "buy a starter set and see what arrives first" but I live in SEA, so that probably wouldn't work.

I did this... and fully expect my retail stuff to arrive before my pledge even with it shipping to me, probably taking half a week, and not shipping until Friday at the earliest. At this point it seems like their 3 weeks of shipping is turning into maybe 2 months of shipping. Does not seem like many if any Commodore pledges have gone out yet... and they are the majority of the pledges. Not to mention I keep hearing from people with lieutenant pledges that have not gotten anything yet... I kinda expect to receive my stupid large order in November...

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

most of the ground assets for my UCM are done. i need to do the infantry and 3 rapiers.

i'll save scourge for last, still haven't figured out a neat colour scheme for them, prolly not gonna go with purple tho.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have advice for a UCM dropfleet paint scheme? I don't want to do the studio scheme because the all gunmetal all the time seems a little drab and I want more color/pop.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

I did this... and fully expect my retail stuff to arrive before my pledge even with it shipping to me, probably taking half a week, and not shipping until Friday at the earliest. At this point it seems like their 3 weeks of shipping is turning into maybe 2 months of shipping. Does not seem like many if any Commodore pledges have gone out yet... and they are the majority of the pledges. Not to mention I keep hearing from people with lieutenant pledges that have not gotten anything yet... I kinda expect to receive my stupid large order in November...

Well, Hawk have/are renting additional warehouse space and taking on temp staff to speed up packing but...yeah I dunno. Dave seemed confident on BoW that it won't take much longer now, but it is clear that they really overestimated their ability to get stuff shipped.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

Well, Hawk have/are renting additional warehouse space and taking on temp staff to speed up packing but...yeah I dunno. Dave seemed confident on BoW that it won't take much longer now, but it is clear that they really overestimated their ability to get stuff shipped.

Ya... I want to believe... its just that they have probably 75% of the orders still to send out at least.

Edit: Probably more like 75% of material thinking about it. I think people said commodores were like 50% of the orders, between them and admirals thats probably a large chunk of the total stuff they will be sending out, and as far as I know no commodores or admirals have gotten anything yet.

Pash fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 12, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm a commander but I used the pledge manager to up my size twice and they warned me each time it would take longer to ship (or at least, that's how I remember it).

I'm a little annoyed but mostly by the whole "no tracking information so you have no idea when it will show up" thing.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I'm a commander but I used the pledge manager to up my size twice and they warned me each time it would take longer to ship (or at least, that's how I remember it).

I'm a little annoyed but mostly by the whole "no tracking information so you have no idea when it will show up" thing.

Ya, I'm a crazy person who went double commodore... I added a bunch of add ons to one and left the other with just the base pledge. Hopefully that means the small one will be near the front of the Commodore pledges, but I'm also in the US so...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pash posted:

Ya, I'm assuming my Shaltari will take like zero time to paint... question will be if i can actually magnetize them... otherwise I'm gonna need to decide what ships I want...

Eh, as long as it comes before the end of November. I'm moving to another city 3 hours away, so while I'll still get my stuff, it's just one more inconvenience. I will probably hold off on retail purchases until after I move, though.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

There's a new KS update out from Dave. Basically it's a follow up on the BoW video as he realised he didn't apologise hard enough.

Rate of dispatch is increasing and we are promised another update at the beginning of next week to tell us when they expect to complete.

Hawks website is going to be updated once they can get staff on it but no direct orders for Dropfleet stuff will be dispatched until the KS delivery is complete. Seems fair.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

There's a new KS update out from Dave. Basically it's a follow up on the BoW video as he realised he didn't apologise hard enough.

Rate of dispatch is increasing and we are promised another update at the beginning of next week to tell us when they expect to complete.

Hawks website is going to be updated once they can get staff on it but no direct orders for Dropfleet stuff will be dispatched until the KS delivery is complete. Seems fair.

They also crushed my faint hopes that my pledge would just show up randomly one of these days by stating that they fix whatever issue was causing people to not get shipping notifications...

All in all good update... But I'm expecting next weeks update to be something like we hope to be finished shipping in a month or something...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Aynone have any cool inspirations for lists? Got a game of Dropzone tonight but haven't really got time to finish my new models, like Phoenix, Broadsword or my Falcons. Might play this:
Standard Army

Clash: 1498/1500 points
Standard Army
Standard Roster [1498/1500 pts]
Field Command [413 pts]
Kodiak: Kodiak(General) [248 pts]
Ferrum: Ferrum [165 pts]
Armored Formation [221 pts]
Eagle: Eagle [110 pts]
Katana Squad: 3x Katana [111 pts]
Legionnaire Corps [326 pts]
Rapier Squad: 3x Rapier, Condor [166 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Legionnaires: 2x Legionnaires, Raven A [80 pts]
Expeditionary Group [232 pts]
Praetorian Snipers: 3x Praetorian Snipers [108 pts]
Praetorians: 2x Praetorians, Raven A [124 pts]
Special Ordnance [239 pts]
Gladius Squad: 2x Gladius, Condor [149 pts]
Longbow Squad: 2x Longbow, 2x Raven B(+Missile Pods) [90 pts]
Air Wing [67 pts]
Archangel Squad: Archangel [67 pts]

Bit generic but looks decent.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Word out of Spiel is that Hawk said they are shipping 75-100 pledges a day and hope to be done by the end of the month... which someone immediately noted won't happen unless they increase the amount they are sending out as there were 4000 kickstarter backers and even more people that joined as late backers. There are over 6000 orders as one of my orders on the pledge manager was over that (I waited to finish the pledge manager for a month so that I had more money to buy add-ons...).

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pash posted:

Word out of Spiel is that Hawk said they are shipping 75-100 pledges a day and hope to be done by the end of the month... which someone immediately noted won't happen unless they increase the amount they are sending out as there were 4000 kickstarter backers and even more people that joined as late backers. There are over 6000 orders as one of my orders on the pledge manager was over that (I waited to finish the pledge manager for a month so that I had more money to buy add-ons...).

Umm.. Yeah. That would take at least 2 months, so probably another 6 weeks at that rate. Hopefully that pick rate doesn't account for the temp staff they are bringing in. :(

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

Ugleb posted:

Umm.. Yeah. That would take at least 2 months, so probably another 6 weeks at that rate. Hopefully that pick rate doesn't account for the temp staff they are bringing in. :(

On the other hand even with more staff they are getting to the larger and more complicated orders... so I would imagine the rate going down per employee. The guy corrected himself and said hawk might have said 75-150 a day.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I used to ship for an online retailer. They're re much more likely to be limited in ability to e-file and print FedEx labels than ability to pack boxes. Particularly since it's largely international shipping.

That being said, you could be getting 50+ orders per computer per day.

Edit:
Vvvv Yeah, we'd clear 150/day during Christmas rush. Two people to pick & pack sharing one computer & printer vvV

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 13, 2016

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
One hundred per day is pathetic. I do eBay stuff on the side, and it takes me about five minutes to box the items, leave the feedback, weigh the box, print the label, and send an email with the tracking info to the buyer. I can ship a hundred orders in an eight hour day working completely alone without any professional shipping software to streamline things, and I do international shipping. And from what they said about a month ago the packing part was completed and just waiting on throwing the rulebooks in the boxes, so they ought to be even faster than that.

That number has to be wrong, I can't conceive of how they could manage to be shipping so few orders after hiring a bunch of temp workers and moving a bunch of employees into the warehouse to help.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Im at the Spiel too and the number Dave gave me is 250/day once they hit their stride.

Edit: thats their aim at least. Also six days a week for 1500 per week.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 13, 2016

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

I've not had any replies to my email about mispacked Kickstarter. I guess I'm going to have to wait till everyone has had their packages shipped.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

I think its fairly obvious by this point that they didn't actually pack boxes before the final stuff came in...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I don't think they meant that everything was pre-picked waiting for the books, they probably just phrased it badly.

For one thing, if you just dropped the book in, you would be dropping the heaviest item onto the delicate lighter sprues. :p

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bit of an odd question, but can anyone remember what the % of my points costs a battlegroup can max out at at Skirmish for Dropfleet? I'm working at 1000pts and I can't remember how expensive my battlegroups allowed to get.

E: It's 50% in one group.

So my first drafted list is:

Pathfinder
3x New Orleans Strike Carrier (32/96)
1x San Francisco Troopship (111)
207pts

Line
2x Lima-Class Frigate (37/74)
1x Seattle-Class Cruiser (132)
206pts

Line
4x Taipei-Class Frigate (39/156)
2x Rio-Class Cruiser (105/210)
366pts

Vanguard
1x Saint Petersburg-Class Heavy Cruiser (155)
2x Jakarta-Class Frigate (32/64)
219pts

998pts.

Might be lacking some pew pew damage ships, relying on Mister P to wreck some poo poo up. Maybe worth moving the Jakartas into the first Line group to get the strategy rating of the Vanguard group down.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just hoping to get started on the Scourge fleet once I figure out a good color scheme. It'll be my second army that I've painted while nude.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got my first Dfleet game in tonight. Just the starter boxes, my PHR vs my buddy's UCM. Plays like the basics of Dropzone with a heavy dash of Battlefleet Gothic paint.

The crit table is a joy. We also got a Moscow ram a Hector! Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
coming from sixth edition 40k, how 'good' are the rules for dropfleet? if I thought that garbage fire was playable, will I be satisfied with dropfleet?