Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

I've heard this argument about strategic bombing but I'm not overall persuaded.

Look at the US production over this period:

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/BigL/img/BigL-p59.jpg

Again you have the same pattern of rapid growth for 1-2 years, then a plateau.

I think it's more likely that there was slack in the system that Speer could take up. I can believe that strategic bombing did damage German industry but the idea that it would have grown at 5% per month indefinitely without it just isn't credible.

There was a specifically attributable set of shortages in German industry one was the Zulieferungskrise, or sub-components crisis that halted the growth of Luftwaffe production especially hard, but the shortage of ball bearings hit all areas of german industry, there was also the drop in steel production, which fell by 200k tons when it was forecast to rise by 2.8 million which meant that armamemt growth was cut heavily in 1943 due to severe component and material shortfall, Speer himself acknowledged that the strategic bombing campaign effectively ended plans for German armament expansion in 1943 during a speech at the time.

You cant draw conclusions about the German economy from the American economy, they were incredibly different in how they were managed, planned and maintained.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Interesting historical photos: http://imgur.com/gallery/zHRKI

Happy French Girl And Her Cat, 1959

The art assembly line of female students engaged in copying World War II propaganda posters, 1942

Black soldiers fighting in France, 1944

King George VI letting his hair down in 1938.

A Group of Samurai in front of Egypt's Sphinx, 1864

German motorcycle courier in Eastern Front, 1942

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sure, but I just don't really trust statements from Speer by default. 'My plan would have been totally awesome if it wasn't for those lousy allies' is awfully convenient thinking.

5% per month is an insanely fast rate of increase. Even in a command economy I don't think it's sustainable. Historically that might happen for a short period but eventually the problems pile up, see e.g. The Great Leap Forward.

My point about the US growth is that even systems that are very different eventually pick off the low hanging fruit and production stops growing so fast. When you run out of consumer products to cut out, resource stockpiles, unemployed manpower, and convertible factories, your progress has to slow.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 12, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I want to know more about samurai traveling to Egypt and maybe other places in 1864

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

I want to know more about samurai traveling to Egypt and maybe other places in 1864

quote:

Following the Emperor Komei`s "order to expel barbarians" in 1863, a Japanese embassy left for Europe on 29 December 1863, led by Ikeda Nagaoki, governor of Chikugo Province (Fukuoka Prefecture). Its aim was to persuade France to agree to the closing of the port of Yokohama to foreign trade, and allow Japan to retreat into isolation once more. The mission inevitably failed. In 1864, en route to Paris, the Ikeda mission visited Egypt. The stay was memorialised in one of nineteenth-century photography`s most extraordinary images - the embassy`s members, dressed in winged kamishimo costume and jingasa hats, carrying their feared long (katana) and short (wakizashi) swords, standing before the Giza Sphinx. The photograph was taken by Antonio Beato (c. 1825-1903), brother of the photographer Felice Beato.

from here http://www.nicholasreeves.com/item.aspx?category=Research&id=299

There's even a movie about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_Road_of_the_Samurai

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FastestGunAlive posted:

a couple samurai travelled to mexico in the 1500s, that was cool

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

Black soldiers fighting in France, 1944

What the, Bren??

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

Sure, but I just don't really trust statements from Speer by default. 'My plan would have been totally awesome if it wasn't for those lousy allies' is awfully convenient thinking.

5% per month is an insanely fast rate of increase. Even in a command economy I don't think it's sustainable. Historically that might happen for a short period but eventually the problems pile up, see e.g. The Great Leap Forward.

I dont think the claim is a sustained 5%, that graph has a line marking 5% but i didnt make the graph, but the fact that there was zero net growth from that point on when they were trying to wring every last gun and tank out of the system, plus the documented shortages of key manufacturing materials that start with the battle of the Ruhr and never recovers at any point before the end of the war its reasonable to say that bombing had a significant detrimental effect. America started winding down production as the war went on which is what i would guess that you are seeing on that graph of US production.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nenonen posted:

What the, Bren??

Dude on the right is still rocking a springfield. In 1944.

Probably guys from a transportation unit that unexpectedly found themselves in need of more oompf than springfields and carbines, and traded/appropriated what they needed.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Probably guys from a transportation unit that unexpectedly found themselves in need of more oompf than springfields and carbines, and traded/appropriated what they needed.

Wait, are these even Americans? Free French had Springfields and American helmets. Not sure about Brens but maybe?

edit: quick googling reveals that yes, they're French colonial troops
http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/black-soldiers-fighting-france-1944/

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

What the, Bren??

MrYenko posted:

The text says:

quote:

Soldiers from the French African colonies holding a position at Boucle du Doubs, near Besancon, France, winter of 1944. These soldiers are from Senegalese Free French troops. They are armed with a British Bren and an American 1903 Springfield. The helmets are American ones, emblazoned with the anchor emblem of the French Colonial forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't recognize the duffel coats but I'm not familair with cold weather gear.

E: ^ that'd be why.

E2: I really want those scarves and coats, dapper as gently caress

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disinterested posted:

Isn't the real question with Germany access to resources?

Wildly inefficient production methods were also a limiting factor.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Eela6 posted:

:allears: This is amazing. Is there a translation you can share with us?

Found it.
TO THE EMPEROR VALENS, MAXIMUS, PERPETUUS, AUGUSTUS.

ACCORDING to the pleasure of your Clemency, I have arranged in a brief narrative, in the order of time, such particulars in the history of Rome as seemed most worthy of notice, in transactions either of war or peace, from the foundation of the city to our own days; adding concisely, also, such matters as were remarkable in the lives of the emperors; that your Serenity's divine mind may rejoice to learn that it has followed the actions of illustrious men in governing the empire, before it became acquainted with them by reading.

It does a pretty decent job, all told, although of course things didn't end up working out too hot for Valens...

I also dug up my book of readings in Late Antiquity, so here's some choice quotes on military poo poo:

From the Strategikon of Maurice, on equipping elite cavalry. HEY GAL's guys could appreciate this posted:

They should have hooded coats of mail reaching to their ankles, along with carrying cases; helmets with small plumes on top; bows suited to the strength of each man, and not above it, more in fact on the weaker side... quivers with covers holding about thirty or forty arrows; cavalry lances of that Avar type with leather thongs in the middle of the shaft and with pennons; swords ; round neck pieces of the Avar type made with linen fringes outside and wool inside. It is not a bad idea for the bucellarii [elite soldiers] to make use of iron gauntlets and small tassels hanging from the back straps and the breast straps of the horses, as well as small pennons hanging from their own shoulders over the coats of mail. For the more handsome the soldier is in his armament, the more confidence he gains in himself and the more fear he inspires in the enemy... Each squad should have a tent, as well as sickles and axes to meet any contingency. It is well to have the tents of the Avar type, which combine practicality with good appearance.

On a raid across the Rhine in 357. Note the increasingly blurred distinction between Roman and barbarian populations, which are already becoming sub-Romanized.

Ammianus Marcellinus posted:

At the very break of day the savages were seen drawn up along the hill-tops, and the soldiers in high spirits were led up to the higher ground; but they found no one there, since the enemy had hastily decamped, and then great columns of smoke were seen at a distance, revealing that our men had burst in and were devastating the enemy's territory. This action broke the Germans' spirit [:(], and abandoning the ambuscades which they had laid they fled across the river to bear aid to their kinsfolk. For, as is apt to happen in times of doubt and confusion, they were panicked by the raid of our cavalry on the one side, and on the other by the sudden onset of our infantry, who had rowed up the river in their boats. Upon their departure our soldiers marched on undisturbed and plundered farms rich in cattle and crops, sparing none; and having dragged out the captives, they set fire to and burned down all the houses, which were built quite carefully in Roman fashion.

Ammianus again, describing the process by which a tribe could become foedarati. The Limigantes are a steppe tribe from northern Thrace

Ammianus, 358 posted:

Accordingly, suspecting that the weight of war would be directed against them, the Limigantes got ready wiles and arms and entreaties. But at the first sight of our army, as if smitted by a stroke of lightning and anticipating the utmost, after having pleaded for life they promised a yearly tribute, a levy of their able youth, and slavery; but they were ready, as they showed by gestures and expression, to refuse if they should be ordered to move elsewhere, trusting to the protection of the situation in which they had established themselves in security, after driving out their masters

An unusual punishment for retreat

Zosimus, 357 posted:

And I ought not to omit what Caesar did after this victory. He had a troop of six hundred horses, well trained in war, on whose strength and experience he so relied that he hazarded many of his hopes with them. When the battle began, the whole army fell upon the enemy with maximum enthusiasm so that the Roman army was gaining considerable advantage, but these alone broke ranks and fled. Caesar was therefore very properly angry with them because they had abandoned their countrymen to the barbarian, but he did not impose on them the penalty defined by law; rather he dressed them in women's clothing and led them through the camp to expel them, thinking this a punishment worse than death for manly soldiers.

There's plenty more good stuff if people are interested. I'll post an account of the Byzantine embassy to Attila when I've got some more time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well that explains it. :v:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

What's that? It's 1918 and WWI has just ended, a celebratory pyramid for reasons?

Oh. Obelix would be jealous.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

FastestGunAlive posted:

There were even earlier diplomatic missions to America (1860) and Europe (1862). One guy who was a member of both (and generally a Renaissance-man type) wrote a pretty interesting autobiography. It's heavier on his experiences in Japan itself, but there are plenty of fun anecdotes. Here's Yukichi with a photographer's daughter in San Francisco, 1860:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Thanks hogge, gal, and hargrimm. Very interesting stuff. I've always been fascinated by historical interactions between different cultures like this, especially earlier than the 20th c

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MikeCrotch posted:

Yes, the German economy was absolutely stretched to its limits during WWII, particularly in terms of labour and steel. The intention was the German armaments production would peak by 1939 and would begin to drop off afterwards - as it happened the Germans managed to sustain production via confiscating assets from Poland, France and then the USSR, but once things started to go really south they could not keep up with allied production.

It was redlining itself in the 1930s as well. Production of arms was seen as so vital that production was allowed to eat into other fields. Construction of housing, for example was almost completely cut off by steel being directed elsewhere, to the point that the majority of Germany's standing army was living under canvas instead of roofs. The state railway, which is obviously important economically, was allowed to get completely knackered during this time, because Germany wouldn't spare the steel for new railcars, locomotives, or rails. Bad enough all things being equal; worse when you consider that coal was the main source of energy in Germany. It was one of the few industrial inputs they had plenty of, and mountains of coal were piling up at mineheads because the trains were so behind. Coal is also vital for steel making, so a negative effect there, as well...

The only thing that kept the Nazis from dumping even more money into armaments was the balance of trade. If Germany ran out of foreign currencies its industry and food production would hard-lock right quick, so in 1939 arms production was forced to decline.

The labor situation was similarly messed up. In addition to full employment, the huge number of men going into the military was a further drag on the economy. This progressed to the point that coal miners were being released from military service and sent back to the mines, just so coal production would suck a little less.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Nebakenezzer posted:

The labor situation was similarly messed up. In addition to full employment, the huge number of men going into the military was a further drag on the economy. This progressed to the point that coal miners were being released from military service and sent back to the mines, just so coal production would suck a little less.

It also meant that Germany was already maxed out on recruits in its replacement army by the end of 1941.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Fangz posted:

I've heard this argument about strategic bombing but I'm not overall persuaded.

Look at the US production over this period:

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/BigL/img/BigL-p59.jpg

Again you have the same pattern of rapid growth for 1-2 years, then a plateau.

I think it's more likely that there was slack in the system that Speer could take up. I can believe that strategic bombing did damage German industry but the idea that it would have grown at 5% per month indefinitely without it just isn't credible.

How much of that plateau for the US was due to a scaling back of military production?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Is there a good collection of the really big effort posts in this thread? E.g. I really liked the five page saga on underwater mines ~80 pages back, but am having trouble scanning to find more.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Is there a good collection of the really big effort posts in this thread? E.g. I really liked the five page saga on underwater mines ~80 pages back, but am having trouble scanning to find more.

No. But you can click the '?' under the poster's av to see all of his posts. And you can also use Forums Search, or put site:http://forums.somethingawful.com on google before your search terms.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Hogge Wild posted:

No. But you can click the '?' under the poster's av to see all of his posts. And you can also use Forums Search, or put site:http://forums.somethingawful.com on google before your search terms.

Hmm I knew about the ? thing, but actually just clicking that for a bunch of different posters and scanning for the longest posts actually works pretty well. Not totally sure what google search terms to use, but it seems like limiting it to the site + "title of thread" + "effort post" works ok.

Thanks!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fuligin posted:

Found it.
TO THE EMPEROR VALENS, MAXIMUS, PERPETUUS, AUGUSTUS.

ACCORDING to the pleasure of your Clemency, I have arranged in a brief narrative, in the order of time, such particulars in the history of Rome as seemed most worthy of notice, in transactions either of war or peace, from the foundation of the city to our own days; adding concisely, also, such matters as were remarkable in the lives of the emperors; that your Serenity's divine mind may rejoice to learn that it has followed the actions of illustrious men in governing the empire, before it became acquainted with them by reading.

It does a pretty decent job, all told, although of course things didn't end up working out too hot for Valens...

I also dug up my book of readings in Late Antiquity, so here's some choice quotes on military poo poo:

On a raid across the Rhine in 357. Note the increasingly blurred distinction between Roman and barbarian populations, which are already becoming sub-Romanized.

Ammianus again, describing the process by which a tribe could become foedarati. The Limigantes are a steppe tribe from northern Thrace

An unusual punishment for retreat

There's plenty more good stuff if people are interested. I'll post an account of the Byzantine embassy to Attila when I've got some more time.

That's great

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Here's mine:
The Torpedo Battleship
The Superposed Turret
The Weird and Wonderful World of North Carolina Design Sketches:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Not all are in this thread so I'm linking them like this.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Since this thread doubles as a codpiece enthusiast gathering place, here's a picture of somebody else very enthusiastic about codpieces:

And since we're a week away from the 235th anniversary of the Battle of Yorktown, have this cool Turnbull:

Looks like the Brits forgot to dye their flag :fsmug: :911: > :britain:

(thanks for all the hard work TT, the blog has been great, and now I'm going to go buy the kindle version; also p cool that Thatcher, Pitt the Elder, and Lord Palmerston all post in this thread)

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My good poo poo is mostly in the gold mined previous thread

Taiping Rebellion posts

Bai Lang's rebellion

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thanks for posting the loving dumbest quote of all time

And yet somehow relevant.

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think the Patton quote about fixed fortifications is even dumber considering he ended up breaking his dick over the fortifications at Metz.

Dumber quite possibly, but at least he was a real person.

Hargrimm posted:

There were even earlier diplomatic missions to America (1860) and Europe (1862). One guy who was a member of both (and generally a Renaissance-man type) wrote a pretty interesting autobiography. It's heavier on his experiences in Japan itself, but there are plenty of fun anecdotes. Here's Yukichi with a photographer's daughter in San Francisco, 1860:

My favorite part of that whole story is that the rest of the men on the expedition were all bragging about the American girls they'd met along the way, each tale getting more exaggerated, until partway through the journey home Yukichi (whose only real vice was alcohol, not womanizing) smugs his way up to them and says something along the lines of 'no one will ever believe your stories, but they'll believe me!' and slaps down the photo.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
About the Nazi manufacturing and industry shitfest:

It seems to me that the Nazis were never really in a position to make any sort of structural changes to the way their industrial sector worked, since they relied a lot on the support of the German industrialists, who most likely weren't interested in consolidating production and streamlining in collaboration with their commercial competitors. And these sorts of changes would have to have been done in the thirties, not during the war, anyway.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

HEY GAL posted:

a couple samurai travelled to mexico in the 1500s, that was cool

Tell me more.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

EE has caught a live one on his blog. Stay tuned!

https://tankarchives.blogspot.ru/2016/10/on-german-losses.html?showComment=1476357332584#c4302306601020286189

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is one gloriously incoherent wehraboo :allears:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fighting Kremlin-paid trolls with Reichstag-paid trolls?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I will gladly be a paid troll on tank blogs. Vlad, you know where to find me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Haha, I wonder if he's the same person I was arguing with.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
They show up once every so often, but this guy has been posting nonstop since June. He's easily the most dedicated commenter I've had so far. Shame it doesn't help him read a map and not bend over backwards to try and justify that German kill claims should be taken at face value. Obviously if Korner claimed 100 tanks on one day and all Soviet units in that offensive lost 100 tanks over three days, that means the Germans were right, right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Tell me more.

Charles Mann's 1493 goes on a bit how 16/17th century Mexico was basically the center of the world, because it's where Europe, Africa, the Americas and Asia all came together for the first time ever and the world economy kind of hinged on the exchanges there. But also, this:

quote:

Known collectively as chinos, Asian migrants spread slowly along the silver highway from Acapulco to Mexico City, Puebla, and Veracruz. Indeed, the road was patrolled by them - Japanese samurai perhaps in particular. Katana-swinging Japanese had helped suppress Chinese rebellion in Manila in 1603 and 1609. When Japan closed its borders to foreigners in the 1630s, Japanese expatriates were stranded wherever they were. Scores, perhaps, hundreds, migrated to Mexico. Initially the viceroy had forbidden mestizos, mullatos, negroes, zambaigos, and chinos to carry weapons. The Spaniards made an exception for samurai, allowing them to wield their katanas and tantos to protect the silver shipments against the escaped-slaves-turned-highwaymen in the hills.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
If there isn't a lost Sergio Leone print of that in a vault somewhere then we're definitely living in the wrong timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hogmartin posted:

If there isn't a lost Sergio Leone print of that in a vault somewhere then we're definitely living in the wrong timeline.
i want this movie so bad i could cry