Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It would look mostly like this:

Swap Ramza (Shout) for Quina (Angel Snack)
Swap Minwu (Will of the White Mage) for Ovelia (Medica & Hastega)
Yuffie covers medica duty with Clear Tranquil.

I know it's stupid and just keep Ramza on the field instead but I may toy with it anyways because hey I have ALL of Ovelia's relics I might as well give her a shot at doing something.

Clear tranquil is the better version of tailwind so yeah that makes sense.

Honestly you won't need double medica except for the hard stuff so either way you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Meltigemini is one of the very few CMs I didn't complete in Japan, so I'm going to be attempting it in global. I do have much better 9 SBs in global, at least, with both Eiko's and Garnet's Hastegas and a variety of random weapons.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Has the Wutai Headband recurred on anything but lucky draws with massive relic pools? I'd love a % medica option so I'm not forced into having Ramza whenever I use a non-medica WHM.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Has the Wutai Headband recurred on anything but lucky draws with massive relic pools? I'd love a % medica option so I'm not forced into having Ramza whenever I use a non-medica WHM.

It was previously on quite a few banners, but none going forward, no. There are a number of % medicas on non-healers going forward, however, including Ashe's SSB (we actually have already gotten this), and SBs for Josef and Sabin, I believe. Pretty sure there are a number of other ones too.

Edit: Yeah, Curilla on the potential FFXI banner, and Onion Knight's magic SSB on the the second OK banner (which no one will be pulling on) also have them.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 12, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, Refia's BSB is pretty great (ST Fire damage + Enfire w/50% crit chance + Dark Bargain Command 2 + increased crit damage Command 1, Armlet with fire damage+), but the rest of Onion 2 is just average or bad in comparison to Onion 1, depending on how highly you value Desch.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

pichupal posted:

Yeah, Refia's BSB is pretty great (ST Fire damage + Enfire w/50% crit chance + Dark Bargain Command 2 + increased crit damage Command 1, Armlet with fire damage+), but the rest of Onion 2 is just average or bad in comparison to Onion 1, depending on how highly you value Desch.

Kind of on this subject, has DENA changed event banners between jp and global? I know fest ones are pretty different between each.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I heavily regret making a second copy of the 6* dragoon ability to shatter. Now I can only put it on one more dragoon, as opposed to the three I could have had. :(

Man, cid hitting midgar zolom for max damage without any crits from my fury brand really turned me around on that skill. He uh, definitely saved the day when my power chain + full charge zack died after 3 aoes in a row.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Do we ever get any more of those 5* motes we got from the Five Dooms? Or that's it? If there's more available later I'm more likely to spend them now.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bilperkins2 posted:

Do we ever get any more of those 5* motes we got from the Five Dooms? Or that's it? If there's more available later I'm more likely to spend them now.

The level 200+ Nightmare dungeons drop job motes.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Koobes posted:

Kind of on this subject, has DENA changed event banners between jp and global? I know fest ones are pretty different between each.

No, event banners have been consistently the same throughout the life of the game. Festival banners are always remixed (except for relics that debut with the festival), and the relic pools for the selection banners are sometimes tweaked a little bit (because a couple of them have included relics from collab events we didn't get), but the two banners that drop with each event have always been the same.

bilperkins2 posted:

Not for several months, once the 250 difficulty dungeons (aka Nightmare difficulty in Japan, but that'll presumably get changed for global for obvious reasons) open.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had another weird concern: I see that mote dungeons stop after the one associated with the Onion Knight event. Does that mean that when the Mote Dungeon arrives at that point, is it truly the last chance you have to actually clear the other ones, or do they recur just at a fixed interval without adding new ones, or does it become a permanent fixture, or what? I'm concerned about never being able to get Ifrit all done.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

They still come back every month.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

They still come back every month.

Also it seems like, based on the JP side of things, that once all of the abilities have dropped it'll just be available all the time.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

went ahead and did the lucky draw, i was looking to add 3 and tactics synergy and figured id take the chance, got 2 of ramza's bsb katanas and fangs bsb spear. I guess I cant complain for 25 stones even though ill probably never use fang.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

So I got a Kaiser Shield out of the 25 draw and had Lightning's elec amp and SSB, mind explaining how the set up works for the SSB spamfest?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
drat it I was already to do a draw on the IX banner tonight, only to find out they moved the event up a day. This 516 mythril is burning a hole in my pocket and IX is my worst of the non I-III realms.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Kawalimus posted:

drat it I was already to do a draw on the IX banner tonight, only to find out they moved the event up a day. This 516 mythril is burning a hole in my pocket and IX is my worst of the non I-III realms.
I need to know whether to level Eiko or not, and whether I am going to be using Selphie's ssb medica or not for U+/U++, and whether I can pull on Tyro 2 for Shout and SG yet. I am going to destroy DeNA for this travesty.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

bladeworksmaster posted:

So I got a Kaiser Shield out of the 25 draw and had Lightning's elec amp and SSB, mind explaining how the set up works for the SSB spamfest?

I have Lightning's elec amp and SSB and asked the same thing and was told that it's not worth the SB bar to do the amp. Just equip the Kaiser Shield on her and SSB when you got 'em.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Scob posted:

went ahead and did the lucky draw, i was looking to add 3 and tactics synergy and figured id take the chance, got 2 of ramza's bsb katanas and fangs bsb spear. I guess I cant complain for 25 stones even though ill probably never use fang.

Fang is a strong dragoon, which is a super solid damage dealing class in as of itself. Her bsb is decent enough. There's no reason not to use her, honestly.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
You're better off just using Crushing Blow twice than spending a SB bar on Stormborn. There's a reason enelement SBs released after that do their own damage as well.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Sprite141 posted:

Fang is a strong dragoon, which is a super solid damage dealing class in as of itself. Her bsb is decent enough. There's no reason not to use her, honestly.

for me at this point in the games life i have so many other choices that i wont be bothered to mess with using her and i have no sentimental attachment to the character

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Considering using one or two mythril this weekend to restore stamina and blast through the sundaily in the hopes of being able to finish the Ultimate battles in the FF7 event before it goes away, but I'm curious - do you lose any stamina you have left when you refresh it, or does "overflow" and add whatever you had left on top of maxing it?

This Zolom fight is really aggravating because I feel like I have enough damage to beat him with the RW Cloud OSB, but he keeps doing really bullshit attack orders on me, like 2 back-to-back AOE attacks that wipe half my party before I can get a Protectga up and slap him with power / armor breakdown. I dunno if I'm just unlucky or if I just need to pump a bunch more levels to get my HP / defense up. I didn't think about slowing the fight speed down to 1 before someone here mentioned it, so I'll give to give that a whirl since maybe it will give me an extra second or to to input commands without Zolom getting to hit me again.

It mostly sucks because I've got Shout and I'm so used to RWing a Wall for tough fights, but if I do that here then I don't think I can deal enough damage fast enough yet. Just not enough hones and I'm still slowly grinding my way toward crafting Full Break.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 13, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

This might seem like a silly question, but all of your armor and weapons are upgraded to their max possible levels, right?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scob posted:

"I guess 3 bsbs in my lucky draw is ok" :jerkbag:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This might seem like a silly question, but all of your armor and weapons are upgraded to their max possible levels, right?

Yeah. I think a big part is that I just got my first couple MC2s last week, so I've got like 3 characters in the 65-70 range, a couple at 65, and a bunch at 40-50, so my raw stats just make it really rough when huge AoE attacks go off before I can set up. I have been pretty drat lucky with my draws and getting good offensive relics, but I'm still pretty squishy and without strong hones I end up running out of gas a lot against the giant HP sponge bosses if I take a defensive RW.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Considering using one or two mythril this weekend to restore stamina and blast through the sundaily in the hopes of being able to finish the Ultimate battles in the FF7 event before it goes away, but I'm curious - do you lose any stamina you have left when you refresh it, or does "overflow" and add whatever you had left on top of maxing it?

If you refresh with stamina, you keep any extra you have (so if you have 15 with a max of 150, you'll have 165/150). When you get a refresh from stamina shards, you do not and lose any stamina you had.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Nihilarian posted:

Thank you, this is the appropriate response.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I can't put together a decent black mage party for Diamond Weapon. All I have for mag is Hope's Skycutter. I do, however, have 3 whm medica relics, a shared mnd medica relic, 5 characters of decent level that can cast Diaga (Celes, Tyro, Selphie, Lenna and Vanille), enough orbs to make a good number of Diaga r2s, and Vanille's ability restoration medica. If I made a full Diaga party with Hope's BSB RW, is that liable to be enough damage to finish the battle? I think between 4 medicas, two magic blinks, shellga, and +50% res I could weather a good bit of damage, so I'm a bit more worried on the killing front.

E: And maybe I'll get Hamelin so I'll have 5 medicas? Who knows.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 13, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog

Nihilarian posted:

In fairness (?), I've seen that weird reaction on Unsung Hero a lot.

"Sure it's a 100% Defense buff on a brutal Holy beatdown, but it conflicts with Shout, totally useless :negative:"

As someone who got that last; Wall's waaaayyyy more important to have native to me.

That's not to say Shout isn't really, really good, I'm just saying you can run another Boostga/Hastega if you have them, get a bunch of secondary extra perks in the process(albiet probably not as much raw attack), RW Maria's Song(there's your attack back if you needed it), and do fine in many situations, and then you have a pretty great BSB.

And if the target is Holy weak, and especially if they like to pass out physical beatdowns, this is very likely going to be the better idea.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I suppose I am getting ahead of myself a bit too since I haven't even tried it with my physical a-team.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

I can't put together a decent black mage party for Diamond Weapon. All I have for mag is Hope's Skycutter. I do, however, have 3 whm medica relics, a shared mnd medica relic, 5 characters of decent level that can cast Diaga (Celes, Tyro, Selphie, Lenna and Vanille), enough orbs to make a good number of Diaga r2s, and Vanille's ability restoration medica. If I made a full Diaga party with Hope's BSB RW, is that liable to be enough damage to finish the battle? I think between 4 medicas, two magic blinks, shellga, and +50% res I could weather a good bit of damage, so I'm a bit more worried on the killing front.

E: And maybe I'll get Hamelin so I'll have 5 medicas? Who knows.

Honestly? You're better off having a Darkness 5 mage cast Memento Mori and then summon a Hope BSB roaming warrior. Even without synergy gear, with MM, you should be able to get that burst to provide somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-225k damage out of the 310 needed to kill the boss over ~13 rounds. It also helps to bring a Dancer or two to do Multi Break, Magic Breakdance, and Mental Breakdance. Tyro and Lenna can fill that role for youand bring good relics for good measure it sounds like

If you can't do ~100k damage over 13 rounds across 4 characters (well, okay, 3, someone needs to heal), I question how you can unlock a U++ fight at all.

Fake edit: oh, and give that Hope thrown to a Ninja and give them Fire Veil or Swift Bolt. I did the CM with Yuffie carrying an FF2 Bow (so comparable Mag) and once the core closed, Fire Veil was hitting for 6500.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
For reference:

Assuming Mental Breakdance and Full Breakdance and Memento Mori:
With 350 Mag, a number achievable with a level 80 Edea using non-synergy Mnd centric weapon (selphie's Scorpion Tail, so 100 Mag), non-synergy hat (Oath Veil), and an FF7 +30 Mag Accessory, you can expect to do about 265k damage with the burst over 12 rounds.

At 400 Mag (a number Vincent at 80 and synergy comes up just short of with similar gearing), you can expect about 300-325k, or, in other words, effectively solo the boss and use four other slots for mitigation and debuffs and whatever.

If one of those Mnd rods you have happens to be + holy, you can equip that and the required Mag threshold becomes even more trivial.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Honestly? You're better off having a Darkness 5 mage cast Memento Mori and then summon a Hope BSB roaming warrior. Even without synergy gear, with MM, you should be able to get that burst to provide somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-225k damage out of the 310 needed to kill the boss over ~13 rounds.It also helps to bring a Dancer or two to do Multi Break, Magic Breakdance, and Mental Breakdance. Tyro and Lenna can fill that role for youand bring good relics for good measure it sounds like

If you can't do ~100k damage over 13 rounds across 4 characters (well, okay, 3, someone needs to heal), I question how you can unlock a U++ fight at all.

Fake edit: oh, and give that Hope thrown to a Ninja and give them Fire Veil or Swift Bolt. I did the CM with Yuffie carrying an FF2 Bow (so comparable Mag) and once the core closed, Fire Veil was hitting for 6500.)

CaptainPsyko posted:

For reference:

Assuming Mental Breakdance and Full Breakdance and Memento Mori:
With 350 Mag, a number achievable with a level 80 Edea using non-synergy Mnd centric weapon (selphie's Scorpion Tail, so 100 Mag), non-synergy hat (Oath Veil), and an FF7 +30 Mag Accessory, you can expect to do about 265k damage with the burst over 12 rounds.

At 400 Mag (a number Vincent at 80 and synergy comes up just short of with similar gearing), you can expect about 300-325k, or, in other words, effectively solo the boss and use four other slots for mitigation and debuffs and whatever.

If one of those Mnd rods you have happens to be + holy, you can equip that and the required Mag threshold becomes even more trivial.
That's...pretty crazy actually. And I could put on Celes' atk/mag buff too to bump that up even more. Doubling up on offense stat buffs has been pretty staple for my high difficulty fights, it's just usually Shout+Song.

With Keeper's Tome (the highest mag item I have), Memento Mori, Maria's Song, Braska's Robe and Amulet (I don't have any ff7 mag accessories) Tyro should hit ~434 mag. Vanille's Staff is about 40 less mag base than the tome but +holy, and then the +holy from Braska's Robe. I could also stick on attunement I guess if I don't need anyone else to do things, and just have someone else cast shellga and protectga. That would save a startup round and let me give Mog's to Selphie to retain magic blinking goodness or to Lenna for +50% res which will probably help a lot since I don't have native wall. If I take attunement I'm feeling like the extra mag from the tome would probably be better, and that it might be better that way anyway. And if what you say is correct, it's going to be well into overkill either way, so it would save me some upgrade mats for the time being since Vanille's staff is still 1/20.

I just gotta get the last 3 major dark orbs for multibreak. And also pray I can weather the damage.

E: The only other Dark 4+ user I have with any levels is Cid Raines, and he can't use anything to get mag nearly as high right now.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 13, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Honestly, all you really need is Sarabande/Stutter Step and a good Medica. The fullbreak Dance isn't reaaaally required at 400+ Magic, if you're doing any damage to him from any other source at all-and it doesn't add nearly as much damage as Stutter does, relatively.

(Granted, I had a backup L64 Garnet hitting him with Diaga, then Dagger of Resolve->Ramuh's Judgement, so that's somewhat better than "any other source at all", but I had a clear couple extra turns on that Hope Burst left, too. Also she was totally unboosted and unsynergized, so there's that.)

Wall and Res boosts definitely aren't required-the big jerk literally only uses ignore resistance magic after the first Core close at 70%. Breaks matter a lot more, as does Protect and defense boosts so that the other half of the time he spends stepping on you is less painful. Just the breaks should be enough for the opening magic, from what I recall.

(To be clear, I'd still bring normal Full Break if you can field it, though, for the added damage until the core closes-the fight goes so fast that he'll spend half of it under Full Break even with the core gimmick.)

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 13, 2016

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

That's...pretty crazy actually. And I could put on Celes' atk/mag buff too to bump that up even more. Doubling up on offense stat buffs has been pretty staple for my high difficulty fights, it's just usually Shout+Song.

With Keeper's Tome (the highest mag item I have), Memento Mori, Maria's Song, Braska's Robe and Amulet (I don't have any ff7 mag accessories) Tyro should hit ~434 mag. Vanille's Staff is about 40 less mag base than the tome but +holy, and then the +holy from Braska's Robe. I could also stick on attunement I guess if I don't need anyone else to do things, and just have someone else cast shellga and protectga. That would save a startup round and let me give Mog's to Selphie to retain magic blinking goodness or to Lenna for +50% res which will probably help a lot since I don't have native wall. If I take attunement I'm feeling like the extra mag from the tome would probably be better, and that it might be better that way anyway. And if what you say is correct, it's going to be well into overkill either way, so it would save me some upgrade mats for the time being since Vanille's staff is still 1/20.

I just gotta get the last 3 major dark orbs for multibreak. And also pray I can weather the damage.

E: The only other Dark 4+ user I have with any levels is Cid Raines, and he can't use anything to get mag nearly as high right now.

You don't need Shellga - Protectga and Magic Breakdown dance should be plenty of mitigation (along with everyone in the back row. Same with Lenna's +Res being useless. Lots of Magic Blinks is real good though and will carry you through a lot of the incoming damage.

Honestly, having anyone other than Tyro doing the Hope burst summoning will more than cover the loss of 40 Mag from not using the book. And you get to use a +holy weapon besides. So have someone other than Tyro be your DPS machine. That frees him up to cover protectga, a Magic Blink, and lots of dancing. So much dancing.

Edit; if you have Braska's Robe and can egg him and use him, his SB will More than make up for not having Memento Mori. Rapidcast high regen and +30 % MAG will absolutely own on this fight.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 13, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Shellga is actually useless in that fight, he has a grand total of one magic attack that doesn't ignore RES and it's a single target attack he only uses in the first phase.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

SageAcrin posted:

Wall and Res boosts definitely aren't required-the big jerk literally only uses ignore resistance magic after the first Core close at 70%. Breaks matter a lot more, as does Protect and defense boosts so that the other half of the time he spends stepping on you is less painful. Just the breaks should be enough for the opening magic, from what I recall.
Huh. Sure enough. I guess I'll give Mog's to Selphie then for more magic blink.

I still need to make multibreak r1 at some point though so I don't accidentally craft out the materials when I really need it again. I guess I'll see about wrapping up this event tomorrow, and then get ready for friendship ribbon now that I have a plan that seems very workable. If it doesn't work it's only 1 stamina.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Edit; if you have Braska's Robe and can egg him and use him, his SB will More than make up for not having Memento Mori. Rapidcast high regen and +30 % MAG will absolutely own on this fight.
I'm running short on eggs and want to save a few if I can get Eiko or Beatrix's BSBs. Plus my mag weapons and hones are all garbage right now, so using him as something other than a Hope BSB target is kind of questionable, and I can already get more mag out of Tyro more than likely.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kylra posted:

I'm running short on eggs and want to save a few if I can get Eiko or Beatrix's BSBs. Plus my mag weapons and hones are all garbage right now, so using him as something other than a Hope BSB target is kind of questionable, and I can already get more mag out of Tyro more than likely.

Fair enough - you can probably still get more Mag out of one of your surplus of white mages than Tyro. Like, at level 80, Celes literally has fifty two more Mag than Tyro. And she can use that +holy Rod with 40 less Mag. I can't emphasize this enough, don't have Tyro be your hope BSB user.

And don't underestimate that Braska robe of yours. It's literally the best Faithga item in the game if you have some other source of Haste. And if you don't have some other source of haste, it's still nearly equivalent to something like sheepsong thanks to fastcast. I'd honestly prioritize it over leveling Eiko because you got her burst, and maybe even Beatrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

And don't underestimate that Braska robe of yours. It's literally the best Faithga item in the game if you have some other source of Haste. And if you don't have some other source of haste, it's still nearly equivalent to something like sheepsong thanks to fastcast. I'd honestly prioritize it over leveling Eiko because you got her burst, and maybe even Beatrix.
I would argue that Papalymo's Ley Lines on Minfilia 1 is a better Faithga than Braska's, and one of the many, many reasons to multipull on that banner.

e: Oh, IF you have a separate haste. Disregard.

• Locked thread