Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yo this show sucks and the framing device for this season robs most scenes of any possible suspense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

a new study bible! posted:

the framing device for this season robs most scenes of any possible suspense

Naw. It's possible that the 'flashbacks' are reality, and the talking heads are actually the actors.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I had no idea Gaga was even a person until they did the origin story. I thought she was some kind of supernatural being like a local pagan diety or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I know it's Ryan Murphy and I shouldn't think too hard about it, but I'm trying to figure out the "rules" of ghosts in his universe. Like Cricket made a big deal about the special day in October "when ghosts could kill" yet they already killed Lee's husband and tried to kill Shelby. And then of course they kill Cricket on what I assume wasn't that special day, unless it was.

It just kind of seems like ghosts can kill whenever the gently caress they want or go wherever the gently caress they want unless the plot wants to make a big deal out of how the ghosts' abilities are limited, and you'd better get the hell out of there before they become really dangerous (except, you know, they already are dangerous).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

King Vidiot posted:

I know it's Ryan Murphy and I shouldn't think too hard about it, but I'm trying to figure out the "rules" of ghosts in his universe. Like Cricket made a big deal about the special day in October "when ghosts could kill" yet they already killed Lee's husband and tried to kill Shelby. And then of course they kill Cricket on what I assume wasn't that special day, unless it was.

It just kind of seems like ghosts can kill whenever the gently caress they want or go wherever the gently caress they want unless the plot wants to make a big deal out of how the ghosts' abilities are limited, and you'd better get the hell out of there before they become really dangerous (except, you know, they already are dangerous).

I think there is a combination of the ghosts being deadly (I think it was over a 6 day period they said that had just started the night they killed Cricket), and other groups as well. I think the ghosts are only one part. I think there actually are some real people running around, and then there is also the Teeth Rain and the Undulating Woods. Those could have happened to just be cool visuals though and not actually have any meaning.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I thought ghosts have always been able to kill whenever they want in AHS, but on Halloween they can leave the grounds or property their bodies are bound to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

JossiRossi posted:

I think there is a combination of the ghosts being deadly (I think it was over a 6 day period they said that had just started the night they killed Cricket), and other groups as well. I think the ghosts are only one part. I think there actually are some real people running around, and then there is also the Teeth Rain and the Undulating Woods. Those could have happened to just be cool visuals though and not actually have any meaning.

Well if he said multiple days then fair enough, but they talked to Cricket after Lee's ex was already killed (presumably by ghosts but who knows) and he implied that the Murde Time was upcoming or something.

Also Shelby was held underwater, and the Butcher could slice things and break windows.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Not to mention the word "Croatoan" made some disappear before the 6 days, but it didn't work first season when Violet tried with Zachary Quinto's character.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghosts have been killing on AHS basically whenever they wanted. Ghosts occupy this weird quasi-real state in the series, where they're essentially physical beings that can interact with people and objects all they want but can't really be killed and can show up when and where they want in their haunting location. In Hotel, March pulls out a gun and offers it to Tristan to kill someone despite being a ghost. You can even carry on an affair with a ghost, as implausible as that sounds.

I think Halloween is just the time when the barriers become more permeable, and more weird poo poo can happen.

April
Jul 3, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Ghosts have been killing on AHS basically whenever they wanted. Ghosts occupy this weird quasi-real state in the series, where they're essentially physical beings that can interact with people and objects all they want but can't really be killed and can show up when and where they want in their haunting location. In Hotel, March pulls out a gun and offers it to Tristan to kill someone despite being a ghost. You can even carry on an affair with a ghost, as implausible as that sounds.

I think Halloween is just the time when the barriers become more permeable, and more weird poo poo can happen.

I thought Halloween was when the ghosts could leave their usual "haunts", like leaving the house in Season 1, or the serial killer dinner (still love that) in Hotel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In Hotel and Murder House ghosts could leave their haunts on halloween. They can kill on the ground they are bound to on any day.

But not all ghosts. #notallghosts Most ghosts can't do poo poo. Maybe the odd spooky whisper or nudging your keys off the dresser, but that's it.

The psychic noted that both Murder House and Hotel were especially evil/strong. A site can "power up" through pain and death. March powered up Hotel through serial killing and torture, the first owner of Murder House meant well but accidentally empowered it through unlicensed back alley abortions. Empowering the site lets the resident ghosts appear indistinguishable from the living.

Pretty simple, really.

Roanoke is something different though. They aren't just ghosts, there is an element of ritualistic magic and old gods that wasn't there with the other sites. All of the ghosts (except perhaps Priscilla) are enslaved to Kathy Bates.

Halloween isn't important to them. Maybe they can leave on halloween, maybe they can't. They don't want to leave so it doesn't matter.

Instead there is a 6 day period between the blood moon and the whatever moon each year. This is lunar, so the 6 days would fall on different dates each year. She ritualistically killed the other colonists during this period to claim the land and enslave their souls. If the ghosts kill you during this 6 day period, you are enslaved to Kathy Bates forever. :stonk: So the ghosts are strong enough to kill at any time, but only during the 6 days does she get the ritualistic bonus.

The intentional blood magic seems to be what let them claim a relatively huge amount of territory. Not just the site of the site of the village itself, but all the farmland (now forest) as well.

Priscilla was ritualistically sacrificed in a ceremony to sanctify the land. This was before the promise that all those killed would be enslaved, so she may be bound to the land but not enslaved. She appears able to act contrary to the matriarch's will. But she can't actually stop the others from doing whatever they want.

Random people killed outside the 6 day period are a wild card. They may just move on, or they may become 'normal' ghosts. They don't become enslaved and don't sanctify the land, so the colonists prefer to wait until the 6 days when possible.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 10, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

In Hotel and Murder House ghosts could leave their haunts on halloween. They can kill on the ground they are bound to on any day.

But not all ghosts. #notallghosts Most ghosts can't do poo poo. Maybe the odd spooky whisper or nudging your keys off the dresser, but that's it.

The psychic noted that both Murder House and Hotel were especially evil/strong. A site can "power up" through pain and death. March powered up Hotel through serial killing and torture, the first owner of Murder House meant well but accidentally empowered it through unlicensed back alley abortions. Empowering the site lets the resident ghosts appear indistinguishable from the living.

Pretty simple, really.

Roanoke is something different though. They aren't just ghosts, there is an element of ritualistic magic and old gods that wasn't there with the other sites. All of the ghosts (except perhaps Clementine) are enslaved to Kathy Bates.

Halloween isn't important to them. Maybe they can leave on halloween, maybe they can't. They don't want to leave so it doesn't matter.

Instead there is a 6 day period between the blood moon and the whatever moon each year. This is lunar, so the 6 days would fall on different dates each year. She ritualistically killed the other colonists during this period to claim the land and enslave their souls. If the ghosts kill you during this 6 day period, you are enslaved to Kathy Bates forever. :stonk: So the ghosts are strong enough to kill at any time, but only during the 6 days does she get the ritualistic bonus.

The intentional blood magic seems to be what let them claim a relatively huge amount of territory. Not just the site of the site of the village itself, but all the farmland (now forest) as well.

Clementine was ritualistically sacrificed in a ceremony to sanctify the land. This was before the promise that all those killed would be enslaved, so she may be bound to the land but not enslaved. She appears able to act contrary to the matriarch's will. But she can't actually stop the others from doing whatever they want.

Random people killed outside the 6 day period are a wild card. They may just move on, or they may become 'normal' ghosts. They don't become enslaved and don't sanctify the land, so the colonists prefer to wait until the 6 days when possible.

Well poo poo, that actually DOES make some sense

So uh....do I have to give Ryan Murphy some credit for this or can I just give it to you instead? Guess it depends on whether or not all of this continues to hold up in future episodes but yeah, I like your explanations here

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

timp posted:

Well poo poo, that actually DOES make some sense

So uh....do I have to give Ryan Murphy some credit for this or can I just give it to you instead? Guess it depends on whether or not all of this continues to hold up in future episodes but yeah, I like your explanations here

It's probably bullshit. I grew up with a lot of religious cognitive dissonance, so making a bunch of contradictory nonsense all true and sensible at the same time is kind of a specialty of mine.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

Pretty simple, really.

Roanoke is something different though. They aren't just ghosts, there is an element of ritualistic magic and old gods that wasn't there with the other sites. All of the ghosts (except perhaps Clementine) are enslaved to Kathy Bates.

Clementine was ritualistically sacrificed in a ceremony to sanctify the land. This was before the promise that all those killed would be enslaved, so she may be bound to the land but not enslaved. She appears able to act contrary to the matriarch's will. But she can't actually stop the others from doing whatever they want.

Who is Clementine? Do you mean Priscilla? Am I missing someone?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dear Prudence posted:

Who is Clementine? Do you mean Priscilla? Am I missing someone?

drat it. Yeah, the little girl ghost. I'm bad with names. :(

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
The promise of this season has made me go back and finish Hotel, of which I stopped on episode 5. Right off the bat it's looking up with this school scene of vampire children...One thing I don't remember/understand: these vampires are immune to sunlight?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

clown shoes posted:

The promise of this season has made me go back and finish Hotel, of which I stopped on episode 5. Right off the bat it's looking up with this school scene of vampire children...One thing I don't remember/understand: these vampires are immune to sunlight?

iirc it weakens them over time but it's not lethal

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

clown shoes posted:

That vampire kids sequence was cool, but they squandered that of course

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The vampire kids were the 2nd worst part of the season behind Drilldo.

That said the school scene was p cool.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so if ep 5 is meant to be mirroring Hotel... are we going to get vampire roanakoe kids

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so if ep 5 is meant to be mirroring Hotel... are we going to get vampire roanakoe kids

Or Lady Gaga bangin' & killin'

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Hotel was horrendous. And after the two seasons before that I gave up on the series. I decided to watch one last time (The season 6 premiere) and I am VERY glad I did. This is the season I have been wanting to see since the original house/asylum. I am just going to pretend Coven, Freak Show, and Hotel just didn't exist.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Utnayan posted:

Hotel was horrendous. And after the two seasons before that I gave up on the series. I decided to watch one last time (The season 6 premiere) and I am VERY glad I did. This is the season I have been wanting to see since the original house/asylum. I am just going to pretend Coven, Freak Show, and Hotel just didn't exist.
Hotel is especially annoying because it's a cool setting, premise, cast well, and has occasional cool storyline/plot ideas but just manages to screw it all up anyway. There are certain episodes (or parts of episodes) that could be spliced together to create a great miniseries, but what they did with the whole season or parts of it was pretty bad. In some ways it's the greatest season, but in the bigger picture it's a shambling slog to get through and not very good. I'm not even sure I watched the last few episodes.

AHS really suffers from that in general, especially the past few seasons. It's almost like they write the episodes from week to week or something most seasons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hotel swings wildly from intentionally hilarious to unintentionally hilarious. It still has horrific imagery, but it gets paired with ridiculous and bizarre scenes that you can't help but laugh at. Like the Addiction Demon has a pretty scary appearance and is really intimidating when it first appears....then it starts raping a guy to death with a drilldo. It's even worse because the shot as Sally walks in lingers on the Demon pounding away like it ain't no thang, as if she's awkwardly walking past a drunk couple banging at a house party, and when the Demon disappears the camera ends up staring at his bare, violated rear end.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Hotel swings wildly from intentionally hilarious to unintentionally hilarious. It still has horrific imagery, but it gets paired with ridiculous and bizarre scenes that you can't help but laugh at. Like the Addiction Demon has a pretty scary appearance and is really intimidating when it first appears....then it starts raping a guy to death with a drilldo. It's even worse because the shot as Sally walks in lingers on the Demon pounding away like it ain't no thang, as if she's awkwardly walking past a drunk couple banging at a house party, and when the Demon disappears the camera ends up staring at his bare, violated rear end.

Ryan Murphy has quite a few fetishes.

Loving the contained vibe of the season so far. The scope feels so much smaller than even murder house, which had all the ghosts of the past to depthen things a bit. It has to go full tilt camp at some point though, it's AHS. Beverly Leslie RIP.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2016

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Utnayan posted:

Yes to all of this. It feels like Murder House, Asylum, and this season are a completely different show than Coven, Freak Show, and Hotel. After Coven and Freak Show I was ready to give up and the season premiere of Hotel was so ugly that I completely gave up, when I finally watched Hotel recently I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Stuff like "you may be a witch.... but I'm a ghost!" should have been awesome but instead it just infuriated me because it was like "See? We could be doing something great like this all the time, but instead we're gonna give you the plastic bag guy from American Beauty being televisual Ambien and other assorted garbage frustratingly delivered by talented people."

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

Yes to all of this. It feels like Murder House, Asylum, and this season are a completely different show than Coven, Freak Show, and Hotel. After Coven and Freak Show I was ready to give up and the season premiere of Hotel was so ugly that I completely gave up, when I finally watched Hotel recently I couldn't believe how bad it was.

Stuff like "you may be a witch.... but I'm a ghost!" should have been awesome but instead it just infuriated me because it was like "See? We could be doing something great like this all the time, but instead we're gonna give you the plastic bag guy from American Beauty being televisual Ambien and other assorted garbage frustratingly delivered by talented people."

I agree completely about Coven, Freak Show and Hotel feeling completely different. My theory is that this year someone was successfully able to get Ryan Murphy to dial it back a little bit, at least for a while anyway. Who knows what will happen with this season's upcoming mysterious "twist(s)" that Murphy and the cast can't shut up about?

Like do they understand what makes a twist, a twist? Like it's not a plot twist if you telegraph it, right?

^ Vague spoilers that Murphy has been crowing about to the press lately.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-horror-story-evan-peters-roanoke-ryan-murphy-1201887001/

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

And then later that guy is one of the guys Sally has sewn up in a mattress. So is he a ghost? Or did he survive the drilldo? What is going on?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've been watching AHS since the start and Hotel was the only season we tapped out of half way through. Felt really bad about it too because I'm a completionist (even when I don't like things) but we just couldn't do it. Same thing happened with Fear the Walking Dead a few episodes ago.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
NO loving WAY

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
THERE HE IS

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
18th century Evan Peters

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
EVAN PETERS ALERT

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
oh yeah him too

I was freaking out about Doris Kearns Goodwin. :v:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
This show is so loving good when they let Evan Peters of the leash to just go loving nuts.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Just when I thought it was getting good this poo poo starts again.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
To be fair, Evan Peters as the H. H. Holmes (basically) was the best part about Hotel.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Hahaha I love their power walk as they barely chase after Flora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Ooh, spooky face change when he's turning around with the torch.

Also why would you trust him

• Locked thread