Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I mostly want more things to shoot as Dwarves, though wood elves do sound entertaining as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Lizards wood elves and ogres here. I figure I'll get the elves this release but have to wait for the others in a further expansion

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Finally got my power back from the storm, I might be able to knock out a quick set of matches tonight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still want my skaven with an army packing more firepower than the dorfs and empire combined. Ratling gunners, warplock jezzails, warpstone cannons and catapults, poison wind globadiers and a bunch of sneaky stabby assassin rats.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still want my skaven with an army packing more firepower than the dorfs and empire combined. Ratling gunners, warplock jezzails, warpstone cannons and catapults, poison wind globadiers and a bunch of sneaky stabby assassin rats.

Clan rats, Clan rats with spears and a couple of versions of Stormvermin are probably a given.
Grey seers and Warlords are probably a given.
I expect giant rats/rat swarms.
Skaven Slaves are probable.

And suddenly we're getting close to the unique unit count the beastmen dlc gave us. So hopefully the beastmen DLC will be the smallest faction DLC because otherwise it's hard to imagine packing in even half of the fun stuff from Skaven's roster.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
New video for the upcoming DLC "The King and the Warlord":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u871nAaxA04

Belegar's quest battle for the "Shield of Defiance" item.

Edit: Squigs :allears:

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 13, 2016

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

As long as half of that firepower is directed at their own army I'm satisfied.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Angry Lobster posted:

New video for the upcoming DLC "The King and the Warlord":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u871nAaxA04

Belegar's quest battle for the "Shield of Defiance" item.

Edit: Squigs :allears:

I love that kill animation of the squig swallowing that one dwarf whole :swoon:

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arguably, dwarves and Empire were the factions that could outgun the Skaven since the Skaven don't have any good core basic shooter like the handgunners or crossbowmen of the Empire or dwarves. Skaven didn't even necessarily have better or more cost effective artillery than those factions with the most probably going to the Empire and the best probably going to the Dwarves with their runed up cannons. As a faction, they did have good quirky weapons but they weren't as much a long range faction as either the Dwarves or Empire or Woodelves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zudgemud posted:

As long as half of that firepower is directed at their own army I'm satisfied.

Every warpstone weapon should have extremely high damage but also have a 50% chance to miscast and explode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm one of those losers who wants to play as any kind of elf, or dinosaur armies

warhammer lizardmen are awesome and would be a great addition. Close enough to dinosaur army.

That's a dinosaur riding a dinosaur into battle :black101:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think Skaven will be their own standalone expansion because then they can sell every clan as DLC.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

CA have no clue how to balance magic so lizardmen are going to swing hard between ludicrously overpowered and completely useless every patch.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Really hoping that subsequent patches balance magic in vanilla and add good mods as default, like the camera mod.

Demiurge4 posted:

I think Skaven will be their own standalone expansion because then they can sell every clan as DLC.

There are only two expansions planned I think, and both are speculated to come with map extensions and races corresponding to those extensions. So skaven, I'd guess, would come with a Lustria expansion that also included lizardmen, the Vampire Coast, the conquistadore-like colonies, and such. They'd also be added to the Old World at the same time, I'd expect.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Based on the video it looks like the Rangers serve the same purpose as the Warrior-Longbeard-Ironbreaker/Hammerers for the Dwarf ranged units. I know I'll probably put a Ranger building in all my economic provinces to have some very strong militia to support all the lords I've stacked Dwarf Brides and Goldsmiths on.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

brocretin posted:

I imagine they're a more popular choice, so man I hope I hope :pray:

Elves of any kind are significantly more popular than Skaven among the average non-grognard which probably is the main market for CA.

e; I'd go so far as to say that the Wood Elf DLC might end up being the best selling DLC for the entire trilogy (since High Elves and Dark Elves will be added with the second game).

Kainser fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 13, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Chaos Dwarfs is the only faction worth mentioning anyway though.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Looks like Rangers with Great Weapons are essentially elite Dwarfen Free Company, with low (for Dwarfs) armor and being a speedy melee/ranged hybrid unit with short range, high-power throwing axes and great stealth abilities. Sounds like they'll be good flankers, which means Dwarfs can now choose between them and Slayers for the job. Dwarfs now also have a solution to enemy artillery apart from expensive Gyrocopters and counter-battery fire.

Rangers and Bugman's Rangers aren't looking so hot to me right now since I prefer my arcing ranged infantry to be behind my frontline, though we'll see if losing armor is worth the stealth and flanking abilities. I doubt they'll be able to fend off cavalry flankers as easily as Quarrelers can unfortunately, though Bolt Throwers with what looks like faster firing rates than most artillery may be the anti-cavalry solution Dwarfs need.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Kainser posted:

Chaos Dwarfs is the only faction worth mentioning anyway though.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/579qzw/crazy_ratmen_theories_and_cheese/

So people are surmising that CA is hinting at Skaven with a coin from that dwarven letter. I mean, obviously they're hinting at Skaven with the rat poison thing, but still. This is just speculation (and extremely sketchy at that), but who knows?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm really loving these DLC's. Initially I played through as Empire but wasn't too interested in the other factions. Dwarves just felt slow and weird, vamps felt brittle, etc.

Each new DLC I've done a new play through though, theyre doing a really good job of revitalizing each faction. Looking forward to this next one. Addition of some less clunky looking Lords and some faster units sounds like exactly what was needed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gonkish posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/579qzw/crazy_ratmen_theories_and_cheese/

So people are surmising that CA is hinting at Skaven with a coin from that dwarven letter. I mean, obviously they're hinting at Skaven with the rat poison thing, but still. This is just speculation (and extremely sketchy at that), but who knows?

Could go either way. As one of the comments points out, right smack dab in the middle of that symbol is: Loren Forests, home of the wood elves.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Looks like Rangers with Great Weapons are essentially elite Dwarfen Free Company, with low (for Dwarfs) armor and being a speedy melee/ranged hybrid unit with short range, high-power throwing axes and great stealth abilities. Sounds like they'll be good flankers, which means Dwarfs can now choose between them and Slayers for the job. Dwarfs now also have a solution to enemy artillery apart from expensive Gyrocopters and counter-battery fire.

Rangers and Bugman's Rangers aren't looking so hot to me right now since I prefer my arcing ranged infantry to be behind my frontline, though we'll see if losing armor is worth the stealth and flanking abilities. I doubt they'll be able to fend off cavalry flankers as easily as Quarrelers can unfortunately, though Bolt Throwers with what looks like faster firing rates than most artillery may be the anti-cavalry solution Dwarfs need.

Yeah, the crossbow Rangers aren't looking that hot, I think they need a touch more melee power to be considered truly versatile. Slightly bumped melee stats and better speed in exchange for half as much armor isn't that inspiring, and that's only looking at the Bugmans elite variant.

OTOH, stalk+vanguard is kinda amazing for range units, with 160 range basically no one will see the Rangers coming until they open fire. It's like the whole reason Ungor Raiders perform so well despite being objectively poor archers in terms of actual shooting ability. Also Bugman's rangers have 65 HP each, that's crazy high for missile units. Dwarf Warriors have 63 HP, for reference.

Greatweapon Rangers look hella fun though.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
CA should just hire 20x as many staff and make all the dlc at the same time. I would pay the $200-300 up front or however much all the dlc will cost.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Something else that was confirmed on Reddit is that the three new factions we are getting with these LLs are true independent factions. Belegar won't be able to recruit Thorgrim and vice versa.

Which I'm cool with really, it's going to make playing with the new dudes a much fresher experience, and maybe even make me nostalgic for playing OG dwarves or greenskins at some point.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While new starting positions are great it kind of sucks they are so close to the home points of the main factions. I'd love a greenskin start up the mountain spine by the border princes and tilea

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

While new starting positions are great it kind of sucks they are so close to the home points of the main factions. I'd love a greenskin start up the mountain spine by the border princes and tilea

The legendary lords mod had this for Azhag and it was honestly a worse start than Malagor's, they changed it to be in the spine.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The #1 reason why this DLC owns.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

A beautiful squig defies conservation of mass!

Also I get the feeling the Chaos Dwarfs are gonna make their way into the game out of necessity. CA wants the Ogre Kingdoms in the game, and Zharr-Naggrund is smack dab in the middle between the World's Edge Mts and the Mountains of Mourn. It would be broken as hell to leave that area empty.

e; oh also the bolt thrower seems to be somewhere in between the cannon and the organ gun in terms of range. it better be cheap and powerful to make up for that

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

brocretin posted:

Pretty much Warhammer in a nutshell. It doesn't make sense but it's awesome.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

brocretin posted:

Also I get the feeling the Chaos Dwarfs are gonna make their way into the game out of necessity. CA wants the Ogre Kingdoms in the game, and Zharr-Naggrund is smack dab in the middle between the World's Edge Mts and the Mountains of Mourn. It would be broken as hell to leave that area empty.

The data mining indicates that they were at least thinking about adding Chaos Dwarves as they had a line in there about them.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
It's a little weird having Skarsnik start in the grey mountains near Bretonnia. I get that they want to have two factions race to claim karak eight peaks but it feels forced to have skarsnik start across the map "on a hunting trip". I'd have liked him to start in karak eight peaks if you play as belegar or other campaign, but maybe if you play as Skarsnik have eight peaks start in dwarfen hands and now you have to retake it

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Ah bummer, the tw forums mods sanitized a thread about the spear chukka not being out yet just as the moaning about political correctness was hitting its stride.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

fnordcircle posted:

Ah bummer, the tw forums mods sanitized a thread about the spear chukka not being out yet just as the moaning about political correctness was hitting its stride.

oh jesus christ it is called the spear chukka isn't it :cripes:

from the people who brought you pygmies...

madmac posted:

Yeah, the crossbow Rangers aren't looking that hot, I think they need a touch more melee power to be considered truly versatile. Slightly bumped melee stats and better speed in exchange for half as much armor isn't that inspiring, and that's only looking at the Bugmans elite variant.

OTOH, stalk+vanguard is kinda amazing for range units, with 160 range basically no one will see the Rangers coming until they open fire. It's like the whole reason Ungor Raiders perform so well despite being objectively poor archers in terms of actual shooting ability. Also Bugman's rangers have 65 HP each, that's crazy high for missile units. Dwarf Warriors have 63 HP, for reference.

Greatweapon Rangers look hella fun though.

It's hard to say how effective these units are until we see what the MP costs are gonna be. Xbow Rangers at ~550 are a completely different ballgame than Xbow Rangers at ~700. The Great Weapon Rangers seem like they'll be good, and Bugman's Rangers have a strong chance of being a Dwarfen power unit.

I'm honestly more curious about the Dwarf RoRs, some of them seem outrageously good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

fnordcircle posted:

Didn't the racists notice that's already in the lord name pool?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hoping now that Empire will in due course get more factions. Give me Boris Todbringer's Middenland faction, or the mad elector count of..is it averland? Or go EU4, take Marienburg and do a world conquest as a merchant republic.

No rush though, plenty of cool stuff to get through before then. This remains the game I wanted since I was 13 years old and thought warhammer was cool.

I posted way back about it but the Empire factions already have their own unique structures. At least one faction has it's own religious building for instance.

So are these independent factions actual factions? If I choose Scarsnik will the main Orc faction be on the other side of the map? Ditto for the Dwarves? Because if so holy poo poo this is awesome. Forget the dynamic of one huge faction representing a side. They could turn the game into something amazing given that.

Also would probably mean VC's could get some more love that wouldn't invalidate Sylvania with all the other factions out there like Lahmians, Strigoi, Blood Dragons, etc, etc.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 13, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Archonex posted:

So are these independent factions actual factions? If I choose Scarsnik will the main Orc faction be on the other side of the map? Ditto for the Dwarves? Because if so holy poo poo this is awesome. Forget the dynamic of one huge faction representing a side. They could turn the game into something amazing given that.

iirc, CA confirmed on Reddit that this was the case. I know Clan Angrund can't recruit Thorgrim or Ungrim, and likewise with Skarsnik/Wurrzag and Grimgor and Azhag.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

brocretin posted:

iirc, CA confirmed on Reddit that this was the case. I know Clan Angrund can't recruit Thorgrim or Ungrim, and likewise with Skarsnik/Wurrzag and Grimgor and Azhag.

Oh. My. loving. God.

Whelp. This game just became hands down probably the most insanely expansive Total War game to ever be released.

fnordcircle posted:

How does Call of Warhammer compare to TW:W? I came across some videos and the unit diversity looked really good, all things considered. I've put over 200 hours into TW:W with a bunch of different mods, etc, but now I'm starting to get bored of the choices.

Medieval 2 was my favorite Total War game I've played so I'm gonna give it a try no matter what, I just want to know how much I should temper my expectations.

The M2 Warhammer mod is good but it's unbalanced as hell since it's reliant on a "storyline". The Call of Warhammer/Beginning of the End times submod basically strips out all the egregious story elements and makes it into a proper Warhammer Total War game without the unbalanced bullshit. It's literally one of the top mods on Moddb to the point of being more popular than Call of Warhammer is at times.

It also has almost every faction and possible unit in it. Literally. I was debating trying a Lizardman or Skaven game in it a week ago. And they're adding more. There's an update coming out soon that they've been teasing for awhile now with images of all the units. Lining up the unit images alone there's pages upon pages of them. There's everything from an expansion of mainline units to more esoteric stuff like the vampire pirates and conquistadors of Lustria.

The only downside is that many of the mechanics are stuck with Medieval 2 era mechanics. If you get a bloodthirster or similar super demon that can wipe out an army it...Well, won't. It'll do insane damage to a unit but it'll just get dogpiled on and killed. The Total War engine only really let you take single and small unit sizes and have them just plow through enemies recently. On top of that there's a hard coded limit to factions in Medieval 2 that means that you won't see inter-factional stuff where you have a bunch of different races of the same type playing out outside of the big actors like the Empire and their provinces.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Archonex posted:

The Total War engine only really let you take single and small unit sizes and have them just plow through enemies recently.

*ehem* Medieval 1. Generals. +hp traits. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

my dad posted:

*ehem* Medieval 1. Generals. +hp traits. :v:

Well, yeah. But if you tried to put them in solo at the start of a fight they'd just get wrecked most of the time due to the way combat worked.

The exception being of course any game that has Dread as a mechanic. Seeing 1000-2000 dudes just high tail it because Lord Francis the lunatic mass murdering incestual cannibal is charging their lines and looking to gently caress poo poo up never got old.

Medieval had some pretty crazy mechanical easter eggs, looking back.

• Locked thread