Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I'm not a racist

nice edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So.... Red Hood #3 was actually really good. Just putting that out there. I actually enjoyed the issue a tonne. I think their handling of Bizarro was interesting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DT Parachute account sighted.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

It's even got the art team from the wrapper issues of Multiversity.

This sounds great, but then I realize that it's probably setting up the Watchmen vs. DCU event.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jurgens' Action Comics feels like something I would describe as McDonald's.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think I'm ready to drop superwoman. This issue, like every issue before it, was bad, but it was also confusing as hell and worst of all just so loving boring. It's lost the entirety of everyone's character voices, has done nothing with the dramatic implications of Lois' death besides having Lanais repeat how sad she is. Everything to do with the Authors is the most convoluted horseshit ever. It is just not good. It's just a bad, bad comic book, and has lost whatever made it appealing to read at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I think I'm ready to drop superwoman.

Didn't you call the very fist issue 'disastrous'?

I hope Lana and Lena come to a name based understanding at the end, BvS style.

e: Is Natasha Irons having a thing for women a new thing?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 13, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I hope Lana and Lena come to a name based understanding at the end, BvS style.

e: Is Natasha Irons having a thing for women a new thing?

I think so, Natasha is such a non-character that I don't think they ever established her preference.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

The art in the DCYou series is worth trying it, at least. There should still be the free eight page sampler story floating around somewhere.

Solicits are coming out and Superman is going all Multiversity :swoon:

The part I find funny is the use of the term Sunshine Superman. That was a nickname that showed up on Battle boards (like Wizard World, Superhero Showdown, CBR's Rumble Board etc...) as the fan name for when Superman plunged into the Sun to supercharge himself (like what happened in the end of Our World At War arc. )

It's funny to see that in the actual continuity.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

The Question IRL posted:

The part I find funny is the use of the term Sunshine Superman. That was a nickname that showed up on Battle boards (like Wizard World, Superhero Showdown, CBR's Rumble Board etc...) as the fan name for when Superman plunged into the Sun to supercharge himself (like what happened in the end of Our World At War arc. )

Isn't Sunshine Superman also the one in... original Prez's world, as noted in the Multiversity Guidebook? I'm gonna see if I can find and check that.

e: ah, hey http://www.dccomics.com/characters/earth-47

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

The Question IRL posted:

Sunshine Superman is a Morrison creation from that world he made that had all the 70s characters on it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

60s. Morrison named him after the 60s song of the same name.

Speaking of Supermen, I'm done with New Super-Man after this issue. It's fine, but it's not really holding me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sounds like something I'd write about the first issue, it was an absolute loving mess from top to bottom. I kept up with it because it wrote such a nuanced and real-feeling Lana Lang with some really fantastic dialog, but they've already pissed away all that goodwill and turned her into a really dislikeable rear end in a top hat protagonist.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

None of you listen to old music. Sunshine Superman is a song.
https://youtu.be/hTuPbJLqFKI

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

None of you listen to old music. Sunshine Superman is a song.
https://youtu.be/hTuPbJLqFKI
Seems fair since you don't read people's posts.

Endless Mike posted:

60s. Morrison named him after the 60s song of the same name.

Speaking of Supermen, I'm done with New Super-Man after this issue. It's fine, but it's not really holding me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Seems fair since you don't read people's posts.

:doh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

So.... Red Hood #3 was actually really good. Just putting that out there. I actually enjoyed the issue a tonne. I think their handling of Bizarro was interesting.

It was great indeed.

Lobdell is definitely on a roll now. Taking pointers from FE's Bizarro to build his Bizarro was a great idea, it might lack the humor of DC You's Bizarro but it stands on his own and more importantly, allowed the building of a meaningful connection between him and Jason.

As more of the team dynamics are revealed, more I'm convinced the Dark Trinity will be more of a family than team or a group of friends hanging out. Jason (surprisingly) is showing a paternal streak that perfectly suits him and his constant banter with Artemis definitely brings to mind the old "like a married couple" trope. Although given Artemis' preconceptions about Bizarro, I doubt this will be a smooth sail.

Black Mask continues to be a great source of entertainment, being affable and incredibly unnerving at the same time. When Jason finally caves his stupid mask in it will be so satisfying.

Oh, and say what you want about Lobdell but he at least tries his best to acknowledge the work of every other writer. Although it would be real nice if the situation were reciprocal.

There's not much to say about Soy and Gandini that I haven't said already. They make a perfect team and together with Lobdell they deliver one of the best looking comics DC has to offer right now. Hopefully they will stick together for a long, long time.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I have to agree, those were some pretty nice pages. Thus far not disappointed that I took the plunge.
I feel like the helmet received from Black Mask, if made by Black Mask, is probably bugged and Jason having it in his cave was a risky move. I'm poor at predicting stuff so I suspect I'm completely wrong though.

graybook fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 13, 2016

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I hate Black Mask's new mask so much. Just tacky.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

graybook posted:

I have to agree, those were some pretty nice pages. Thus far not disappointed that I took the plunge.
I feel like the helmet received from Black Mask, if made by Black Mask, is probably bugged and Jason having it in his cave was a risky move. I'm poor at predicting stuff so I suspect I'm completely wrong though.

I hope Lobdell doesn't go there again. Last time we almost got a faceless Jason out of it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I think I'm ready to drop superwoman. This issue, like every issue before it, was bad, but it was also confusing as hell and worst of all just so loving boring. It's lost the entirety of everyone's character voices, has done nothing with the dramatic implications of Lois' death besides having Lanais repeat how sad she is. Everything to do with the Authors is the most convoluted horseshit ever. It is just not good. It's just a bad, bad comic book, and has lost whatever made it appealing to read at all.

I was done when the author used the term mansplaining unironically in the second issue.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The only real difference is Wally is 20 instead of 30 and no one can possibly remember his days after being a Teen Titan besides him and Superman, who amusingly still has years of memories of being a surrogate uncle and teammate with Wally.

Superman probably remembers more about Wally than Wally, actually.

Rhyno posted:

Oh man, I'm now super hyped for when Wally and Clark meet! More hugs!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Probably won't happen. Wally has no reason to think Clark is the one he knows and Clark vice versa.

I guess he could maybe deduce it if he saw Wally running around (since Barry never died) but that's a stretch in several ways. I imagine the Rebirth plotline will be resolved before they ever have a reason to talk. There's just no reason for Wally to show up in JL or the Superman books, and even less reason for Superman to show up in Titans which is Wally's only book.

It would be a great scene, though. Imagine Clark asking about his kids and Wally going "I had kids?"

Hey that thing we talked about a couple months ago is happening! Happy to be wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Hey that thing we talked about a couple months ago is happening! Happy to be wrong.

It's gonna be great!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Say what now?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Oh, I saw the Multiversity Superman picture and thought the solicits had been posted. Here you go:

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/12/exclusive-/

quote:

TITANS #7

Written by DAN ABNETT
Art and cover by guest artist LEE WEEKS
Variant cover by NICK BRADSHAW

“Home Sweet Home”! A new threat brings Wally West face to face with the Man of Steel, and the two recognize each other as kindred souls from another world. Plus, the Titans set up their new Tower in New York City!

On sale JANUARY 11 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Weeks, of course, is the artist who brought the classic Superman back to the post-Flashpoint DC Universe with Convergence: Superman and then Superman: Lois and Clark, both of which were written by current Action Comics scribe Dan Jurgens.

This time, though, he'll handle the post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint Superman as he races alongside Wally West, his longtime ally from the '90s and early 2000s Justice League.

So far, Wally has revealed his true identity to only a few people, and their memories of him had to be jogged by physical contact, and a little electricity that seemingly came from the Speed Force. Will Superman remember Wally right away, since both of them remember the pre-Flashpoint DC Universe clearly?

And since so much has happened around Superman, and so much remains shrouded in mystery, could bringing these two men together mean something big for Superman, and by extension for the DC Universe itself?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That'll teach ya to doubt me TTShoes!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That'll teach ya to doubt me TTShoes!

It was an idea that seemed so obvious I never thought they'd do it, if that makes sense. I came up with the idea, after all!

Maybe they're just mining my creative talents.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 14, 2016

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

A pity, I too thought it was fine but it's still got me, even if the Flying Dragon General reveal was too obviously telegraphed... though I chuckled at Ghost Woman's crack about Kenan the "Fifty-Center". I wonder if DC's planning for the G.M.S. to show up anywhere else?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It was an idea that seemed so obvious I never thought they'd do it.

Of course they had to do it! They're gonna hug and restore chunks of the universe!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It would be weird if they recognize each other, isn't Wally 10 years younger and Clark 10 years older than the last time they saw each other?

Bah who cares, Post-Crisis reunion!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adnor posted:

It would be weird if they recognize each other, isn't Wally 10 years younger and Clark 10 years older than the last time they saw each other?

As far as Clark knows, this Wally doesn't exist on this Earth. So when he sees him he will probably get excited and that will spark the reunion.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm just glad there's an artist change on Titans, if only for one issue. Look...I'm not hellbent against Booth or anything, but the simple fact is that most other artists would be better than him on most books.

I think it's common knowledge that this new Superman is some weird...alternate...Superman, and that would pique Wally's interest for sure, which would prompt the meeting. It's cool to see more and more shreds of Rebirth get slowly...very goddamn slowly :v:...uncovered by these characters over time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Adnor posted:

Clark doesn't really age though, or at the very least the process is much slower as a Kryptonian. As for Wally, he might look younger but he still has all the memories of his Post-Crisis life of being Flash and having kids with Linda and so on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It was great indeed.

Oh, and say what you want about Lobdell but he at least tries his best to acknowledge the work of every other writer. Although it would be real nice if the situation were reciprocal.

I know ragging on RHATO is played out but, well, you did say to say what I wanted about Lobdell...

Do you know what drives me crazy every time I see a preview or read a page you post here or, God forbid, actually read an issue of RHATO? It's always the same narration. Just Jason Todd harping on and on about how he died and got brought back, over and over. Lobdell has been writing this rear end in a top hat for years now, spanning multiple series. When the hell is he gonna flesh out his character beyond "I was dead now I'm not, also I'm gritty"? I mean, people poo poo talk Jason Todd all the time but worse characters have been fixed by decent writing (I mean God, doesn't Deathstroke have a series people sorta enjoy?), but Lobdell isn't a good writer doesn't seem to want to even try advancing Todd's character, just "grr I died and I'm darker Batman and only Roy Artemis and Bizarro get me", with nothing even resembling character growth.

And another thing, it seems like Jason is always relating things back to himself, like holy poo poo get over yourself man. I know you trained under Batman, but he doesn't bring everything back to his parents all the time.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

As far as Clark knows, this Wally doesn't exist on this Earth. So when he sees him he will probably get excited and that will spark the reunion.

Aside from the Teen Titans not existing I don't think he would assume Wally just doesn't exist. Did he go check out Central City and Keystone City or something?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

TwoPair posted:

(I mean God, doesn't Deathstroke have a series people sorta enjoy?)

Priest's Deathstroke is a lot more bearable than Lobdell's Red Hood because it doesn't try to dress up what a terrible person he is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Aside from the Teen Titans not existing I don't think he would assume Wally just doesn't exist. Did he go check out Central City and Keystone City or something?

Remember he's been there in secret since Justice League #1 five or six DCU years ago.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, Clark's been super-stalking everyone scooping out the Nu52 for years, in the interest of protecting his family. One of the very first things he investigated was the differences between this world and the world he remembers. He'd have realized that Wally West wasn't around.

It's a little more complicated than just the fact that Wally didn't exist in this world, though. Very few of the original Titans actually existed in the Nu52 (for reasons that I...already forget, even though I read and enjoyed Titans Hunt) and just very recently revealed themselves to the world. So Clark probably thought Wally, Donna Troy, and Tempest were all missing from this world. Even now that they're back, Clark would probably assume that Wally is "from" this new world just like Donna and Garth and also doesn't remember the old world. It'll be up to Wally to reveal otherwise.

Yeah it's super convoluted and labyrinthine. I kind of love it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League/Power Rangers from Tom Taylor and Stephen Byrne
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/14/justice-leaguemighty-morphin-power-rangers-confirmed-for-january-2017/

quote:

DC, BOOM! STUDIOS AND SABAN BRANDS ANNOUNCE JUSTICE LEAGUE/MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS!

Angel Grove’s Teenagers with Attitude Encounter DC’s Most Popular Super Heroes in January Crossover Miniseries Variant Cover Program to Pair Power Rangers with Different Justice League Members

BURBANK, CA (October 14, 2016) – On January 11, two of comics’ greatest teams will combine their powers and abilities for the first time! The Justice League—Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern John Stewart, the Flash and Cyborg—meet Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in a six-issue monthly miniseries from New York Timesbest-selling writer Tom Taylor (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US, GREEN LANTERN CORPS: EDGE OF OBLIVION) and artist Stephen Byrne (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA REBIRTH: THE RAY).

“DC and BOOM! Studios teaming up on this crossover is a dream come true for fans of Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the Justice League,” said Hank Kanalz, Senior Vice President, Editorial Strategy and Administration, DC Entertainment. “Stories like this are a great way to have that ‘what if’ itch scratched, combining favorite characters from different publishers in epic adventures.”

Something terrible has happened in Angel Grove when the Power Rangers’ Command Center is breached and the teleporters are damaged! Zack the Black Ranger is flung into an alternate universe full of citizens possessing outrageous powers and wearing strange costumes. Will Jason the Red Ranger, Trini the Yellow Ranger, Kimberly the Pink Ranger, Billy the Blue Ranger and Tommy the Green Ranger be able to get to Zack in time to save him from Batman?

“Everyone at BOOM! is thrilled to be part of an event of this magnitude,” said BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon. “We have iconic characters meeting for the first time that are beloved the world over! Our imaginations have been racing since the moment this kicked off with our friends at DC and Saban Brands. Get ready…this is one event that’s not to be missed.”

In addition to the standard covers drawn by Karl Kerschl (GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER), each issue will feature a variant cover drawn by one of comics’ most popular artists, pairing each member of the League with a different Power Ranger:

Batman/Pink Ranger by Dan Hipp
Cyborg/Blue Ranger by Dustin Nguyen
The Flash/Black Ranger by Yasmine Putri
Green Lantern John Stewart/Yellow Ranger by Marguerite Sauvage
Superman/Green Ranger by Chris Sprouse
Wonder Woman/Red Ranger by Marcus To

“With their talented roster of writers and artists, DC and BOOM! Studios bring to life the world’s greatest superheroes, including the iconic Power Rangers,“ said Janet Hsu, CEO at Saban Brands. “With DC, BOOM! Studios and Saban Brands partnering, we will bring fans a legendary crossover that will stand the test of time, just as these historical superheroes have done individually for decades.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wait is John replacing Hal in the Justice League.