Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Tannehill is trash, and most any QB in the league looks good unpressured

the second part of this is not even remotely true, not even a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Those big contracts for QBs aren't really a handicap, pretty much the norm for any team that has recently signed a QB they expect to be the future.

I wonder if this will ever swing back. I don't expect salaries to go down or anything but thinking more in relation to how much other positions make.

Like, do NFL front offices look at a guy like Brock Osweiler causing a bidding war and think "drat this poo poo is crazy, something needs to be reigned in" or do they think "just shows how few QBs there are in the world, better pay our mediocre dude a billion dollars?"

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Amy Pole Her posted:

What on earth in Miamis recent history makes you think they think this? They let a complete and utter moron control this team to the tune of NOT RUNNING THE BALL WHEN YOU AVERAGE 5.0 YPC.

Tannebaum has no idea what he's doing
Ross is a great owner who is really trying but he clearly lets himself be charmed. Or he's a jets plant

The problems are mostly Ross' own doing because he keeps setting up these front office and coaching dynamics that are doomed to be dysfunctional. And then on top of it he occasionally sticks his fingers into the pie, like trying to personally wine and dine Harbaugh or Jeff Fisher.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
Ugh. gently caress the Browns. Now how can I lord my moral superiority over Steelers fans?

I'm afraid I'll turn into Parm.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Browns:

quote:

Rick Venturi: "After three years of losing football, they were nearing the end of their rope in Cleveland. We turned it around in 1994. We won 11 games and won the wild-card playoffs. We were really on the cusp of something great there in Cleveland."

quote:

Heath Evans (Patriots Fullback 2005-08, Current NFL Network Analyst): "Everything was ripped out from underneath him. Nobody in the world could have survived that. It was an absolute dumpster fire, what ownership did to him in Cleveland. If you look at the Bill we know now, the same thing he did in New England was going to happen in Cleveland. I have no doubt that 1995 in Cleveland would have been like the 2001 Super Bowl season in New England if Bill had been allowed to continue to grow and groom his staff and his team."

quote:

Rick Venturi: "Once they announced the move, 1995 became as bad as anything I've ever been through from a football standpoint-a total, miserable death slide. It went from the greatest sports city in the world to an 80,000-person wake on Sundays. Bill would never show it, but it took a toll on him."

Raiders:

quote:

Amy Trask (Raiders CEO, 1997-2013): "In 1998 I recommended to Al Davis that we hire Bill as the Raiders head coach. Al decided to go with Jon Gruden, an offensive-minded coach, which surprised no one in the league. But Al liked Bill very much. Bill made it clear he would always tailor his schemes to maximize his players' talents. That's what the best coaches do, the best business people do and the best leaders do: They put their people in the best possible position to succeed. And that's what Bill does. I was always tickled pink years later when Al would say to me, 'Well, you sure can pick a coach, kid.'"

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Elite QBs get the ball out in less than 3 seconds. Tannehill should be able to no problem.

Andy Dalton = Elite QB confirmed.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

The problems are mostly Ross' own doing because he keeps setting up these front office and coaching dynamics that are doomed to be dysfunctional. And then on top of it he occasionally sticks his fingers into the pie, like trying to personally wine and dine Harbaugh or Jeff Fisher.

I agree with the second part except he's really learned from it and stepped aside. He's let his football people take over

But he's trusting Tannebaum to right our ship. I mean... Ross is a great owner but obviously he has some lapses in judgment in hiring

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Brannock posted:

Browns:

Raiders:

Looking back Bill probably was the better choice but Gruden brought an energy to Oakland during his five years as coach that we are just now getting back. And unless Belicheck had managed get a Super Bowl there was a good possibility he would have ran into Al's ego just like Gruden did.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Yeah I can't imagine a world where Belichick and Davis wouldn't have clashed constantly.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Those big contracts for QBs aren't really a handicap, pretty much the norm for any team that has recently signed a QB they expect to be the future.

It isn't the dollars and cents of the contract, it's more the unwillingness to move on from it. Plenty of teams including my own have given tons of money to ugly QBs but they have sobered up and moved on.

What I'm saying is the Dolphins have been content to stick with the guy and obviously neglected the rest of their team as well.

Is Tannehill the cause of all the Dolphins issues? No but he isn't the solution either and is regressing. Turning the team around isn't even as simple as fixing the Oline because they have been badly mismanaged, and even worse they lack motivation in my opinion.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
What I got out of Heath Evans' comments on Bill Belichick was pretty much "gently caress Art Modell"

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I love Art Modell

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Oberst posted:

I love Art Modell

You're a monster and I will piss on your grave after Art's.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Art Modell was a modern American hero

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Ches Neckbeard posted:

You're a monster and I will piss on your grave after Art's.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

chykie is so happy

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Panthers/Cards week 8 no longer America's Game of the Week

Officially RIP America's faith in the Panthers

And now the cards have another early EST game to poo poo the bed during. At least it's only 2 hours earlier by then

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

korrandark posted:

Andy Dalton = Elite QB confirmed.

andey dalden

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Art Modell was a modern American hero

I will poop in your furnace.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah I can't imagine a world where Belichick and Davis wouldn't have clashed constantly.

But Bill just wins, baby.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

And now the cards have another early EST game to poo poo the bed during. At least it's only 2 hours earlier by then

Both teams have turned into pumpkins so I aint even mad.

Please stay safe cammy cam.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ghost Dog posted:

the second part of this is not even remotely true, not even a little bit

pretty much any qb above replacement level will perform well unpressured

if you're trotting out ryan lindley you're probably hosed but I'd assumed that was covered in my original language

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Through 5 weeks, top three rookies per PFF

Wentz, Prescott, 49ers CB Rashard Robinson

hmmmmmmmmmmmm PFF's methods seem pretty foolproof guys

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Bosa should be #1

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
actually according to my intense research (the draft order) Goff should be #1

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Also if/when Kaepernick and the 49ers part ways after this season, they will have over 100 million cap space to not spend

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Spoeank posted:

Through 5 weeks, top three rookies per PFF

Wentz, Prescott, 49ers CB Rashard Robinson

hmmmmmmmmmmmm PFF's methods seem pretty foolproof guys

they had the giants offensive line graded #3 last week

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
N: http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/desean-jackson-praises-doug-pederson-doesnt-dismiss-possible-eagles-reunion

V: Come home DeSean...your team needs you

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What I get from Heath Evans is that CTE is real and it's crippling

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pasaluki posted:

It isn't the dollars and cents of the contract, it's more the unwillingness to move on from it. Plenty of teams including my own have given tons of money to ugly QBs but they have sobered up and moved on.

What I'm saying is the Dolphins have been content to stick with the guy and obviously neglected the rest of their team as well.

Is Tannehill the cause of all the Dolphins issues? No but he isn't the solution either and is regressing. Turning the team around isn't even as simple as fixing the Oline because they have been badly mismanaged, and even worse they lack motivation in my opinion.

I don't understand this take. Miami has invested a ton in trying to create an environment in which Tannehill can succeed. It's not they have neglected the rest of the team. It's that the moves that were made did not work out. The offensive line is filled with guys drafted between rounds 1 and 3 and it has been just awful.

I have no idea if they are poorly coached, unmotivated or something else, but it's not fair to say the Dolphins haven't attempted to address the issues. The attempts have just been spectacular failures.

Lastly, I have no idea if Tannehill is regressing. He isn't even given enough time in the pocket for us to know if that's the case.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

pasaluki posted:

There's a huge difference between incompetent action and neglect.

On the flip side Kiko Alonso looks pretty dang good (relative to the expectations) so I'm a fan. Hoping we can lock him up for 3 more years

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Hoping we can lock him up for 3 more years

Why don't you just cut to the chase, sneak up on him and slash his achilles

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Amy Pole Her posted:

There's a huge difference between incompetent action and neglect.

On the flip side Kiko Alonso looks pretty dang good (relative to the expectations) so I'm a fan. Hoping we can lock him up for 3 more years

Maybe if you offer him one of those $60million fully guaranteed contracts? I wonder if you think Suh will be worth his $19million cap hit next season.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

Maybe if you offer him one of those $60million fully guaranteed contracts? I wonder if you think Suh will be worth his $19million cap hit next season.

what do you know about contracts, pretty boy? how would you like a $60 million contract upside your head?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i hope every pats fan on here is having a nice day

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

my blood is on your hands

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Ehud posted:

what do you know about contracts, pretty boy? how would you like a $60 million contract upside your head?

I only know that Gronk and Bennett together eat up less cap space than Suh.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GaussianCopula posted:

I only know that Gronk and Bennett together eat up less cap space than Suh.

and you were an integral part of the negotiations!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
http://www.patriots.com/video/2016/10/12/bose-sights-and-sounds-week-5-vs-browns

In case you just can't get enough of the Patriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Chris Harris Jr wrote a thing for The Players Tribune that breaks down covering elite receivers: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/top-5-nfl-receivers-chris-harris-jr/

I posted this yesterday but y'all ignored it in favor of arguing over Ryan Tannehill. It's a cool link, and you should click it

• Locked thread