Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

They havent figured out that I am blackout drunk running the fights too.

Hell, I used the same 9 screenshots for like a dozen fights last tourney. Just changed a name or two, pretended like I ran the fight, and hit post.

This explains everything.

I just want you all to know that despite Arena Challenge being my favorite thing of all time, I have a very low opinion of all of you, and that will never change. Also, despite never actually creating a fighter or testing a build or even playing Dwarf Fortress successfully, I am fully confident that my fighter will be the best and your fighters will all be dumb nonsense and there's nothing any of you can say that will change my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Just piping in to say I'm not dead, regardless of what Spermy Smurf would have you believe.

Personally I think there is a lot of room for experimentation in the large sweaty wrestler part of the arena, so I'll probably just throw out another Yeti.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

They havent figured out that I am blackout drunk running the fights too.

Hell, I used the same 9 screenshots for like a dozen fights last tourney. Just changed a name or two, pretended like I ran the fight, and hit post.

It's doubly ironic because while you were just pretending to run fights, we were just pretending to read them!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I was just pretending to know what I was doing.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

I was just pretending to know what I was doing.

Pretending? Well, hello Mister Fancy-Pants~! I wasn't even pretending at not knowing a thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Last time I came in as a member of the second worst team. Allah willing this time we'll be the worst. Watch out Lightly Whipped!

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
I think this time I'm going to suggest that my team all make sure to pick a weapon, it seems to be important

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tirius posted:

it seems to be important

Jury's still out on that one, tbh

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Weapon Shmeapon

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We'll be doing this on the version with improved combat AI, right?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

We'll be doing this on the version with improved combat AI, right?

Except for your fighter, of course.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Did I win yet?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Spermy Smurf posted:

Did I win yet?

Haven't received enough bribery to say one way or the other.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'm sorry the new tournament isn't ready yet :smith:

I'll get around to translating the previously balanced version to DF2016 during this next week.

Any and all balance suggestions with an explanation are more than welcome!

Also, is forums member My_Dad prepared to give me suggestions on how to balance this new version? I'm not trying to give him an unfair advantage, mind you, nor am I trying to put him on the spot. But he has a better idea than anyone else that I trust on how this all works. Also, if anyone else who has played the new version has suggestions that relate directly to how combat works, those suggestions are certainly welcome as well.

Any shitposts which are either tangentially related or barely have anything to do with the above are also welcome. Just please don't go overboard with the shitposting or anything. I'll give you a limit of two or three shitposts per day, depending on how good the shitposts are. :colbert: If I'm paying attention.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OK, I haven't actually played the latest version of DF (:shobon:), which is something I'll look to fixing soon, at least arena-wise.

That having been said, I have a couple of ideas based on the last tournament. These will obviously have to be corrected due to any changes in the new version, but make an OK starting point.

First of all: Whips and scourges. HOOOOLY poo poo, do whips and scourges ever need a major boost. Right now, they're often a downgrade in comparison to having literally nothing equipped. Not only do they do gently caress-all in terms of causing injuries most of the time and being countered by even fairly light armor, they're actually coded to attack much slower than other weapons, which will, in an otherwise even fight, result in the enemy getting the first hit in (very bad), and getting overall more hits in during a fight (bad), while reducing the amount of time you can parry (bad). They're also coded to be utter poo poo when wielded alongside anything else (very bad). If this can't be fixed in a good way, it might just be for the best to temporarily remove them from the game, since they only serve as a trap for new players.

Spears present an interesting conundrum. Due to how piercing damage works, spears don't work too differently from cutting weapons. Unless they're being wielding by something ridiculously strong with a lot of weapons skill. Like, say, a minotaur named Dory. In which case they suddenly have all the best qualities of both sharp and blunt weapons. I actually don't think they need a nerf. In some very specific circumstances, that require a specific build, that makes sacrifices in other areas, on fighters that already get less points than others, they do really well, but are by no means broken. Not having to upgrade from copper means a lot more points to spend on other things, like armor and a second spear, and the skill needed to pierce higher quality armor also helps a lot when parrying. While this looks like it might need some nerfing, it's waay too easy to just kill the usefulness of the idea and reduce the already limited number of options big guys have. Making spears more expensive or their skill cost more would reduce their usefulness to regular fighters, and reducing their penetration ability would just make nobody ever buy them. I say keep them just as they are. That having been said, pikes need a bit of a boost. Right now, they're spears, except two-handed, worse in every way, and more expensive. I'd make them different than spears by giving them slower attacks like whips/scourges do right now, but slightly reducing their contact area, while also slightly increasing their mass and weapon velocity (not the attack speed, mind you, but how fast the weapon impacts the enemy). Like, 20% kind of slightly. It also might be worth doing a skill condensation for spears and pikes, just like the one done with hammers and maces.

A simple example of a weakness of Dory's build: You have to make pretty major sacrifices to make it work right, and you have to choose between having a shield, having armor, and being able to dodge. Dory was notably turned into a shish-ketaur via crossbow bolts to the gut in one of the matches, and swiftly dispatched.

Speaking of shish-ketaurs, ranged combat. On one hand, incidents like the above clearly show that something about it can work. On the other, everything else says that it, uh, doesn't. So, how to deal with this? I have a bit of a radical solution, that requires somewhat of departure from realism in the name of FUN, which I think is fine because a) DF isn't realistic (see exhibit: reusable M712 Copperhead missiles we refer to as "copper spears wielded by minotaurs" in this game) and b) losing is FUN but not always fun. What's the solution? Well, you know how bows use sword skill for melee and crossbows use hammer skill for it? Why just not turn bows and crossbows into slightly more expensive swords and maces that can also shoot. If you need a mental image, think of those elven swordbows from the Lord of the Ring films, or a crossbow equivalent of this. That way, they won't be useless in melee.

That having been said, this won't solve all the problems of ranged fighters. They won't fight in melee if they still have ammo. Step two of the solution is to let people select how much ammo they want to carry. The least complicated solution (read: least work for Jazz) I can think of is just giving every fighter a drop-down list of numbers from 0 to whatever max ammo is. If the fighter doesn't have a ranged weapon, it doesn't do anything. If the fighter does, if gives them X ammo for every ranged weapon they have, in the material of that ranged weapon. This allows for some interesting design options. Do you only give your fighter 1 bolt, to fire an opening shot, and then charge into melee like everyone else? Do you give your whole team 2-3 bolts/arrows so that they can all shoot and stay in formation while the enemy team trundles across the arena, potentially splitting up along the way, and only fighting them after they've been softened up a bit? This still doesn't remove the option of just giving one fighter all the ammo you want for them to keep plinking away at the enemy forever. Incidentally, this also helps deal with shields being (slightly) underpowered and dual wielding being (slightly) overpowered in a way that can't be dealt with just through price modification.

Some fighter races need to stand out more. The thing done with werewolves and tigerman is a step in the right direction. Despite being of similar size, they have different advantages and drawbacks, that creat a meaningful choice. Now let's look at the really large fighters. What do minotaurs do? They are really super loving strong. Nobody does really super loving strong better than they do. What do yetis do? They are really super loving huge. Nobody does really super loving huge better than they do. What do trolls do that makes you want to choose them specifically? Uh... Um... Yeah. They need some tweaking. Dump them in a toxic vat and see what mutant comes out. Even weird poo poo like a second head might make them more interesting.

In addition, gremlins and gnomes need both a boost and a way to tell them apart. I wouldn't call them underpowered since people really didn't use them enough (and few people used them well, tbh) during the tournament to really judge, but I sure as hell can't tell them apart. I'll repeat my earlier suggestion: Make gremlins really squshy. Like, really loving squishy, with reduced toughness, endurance, and willpower, but give them a few extra points. That way, gnomes will still fill the niche of "super-tiny fighter" while gremlins fill the niche "that thing that dies as soon as something so much as sneezes on it, if the sneeze lands on it before you get stabbed to death"

The things I know about the new version:

Armor can get damaged. This might help give a solution for the "outfought but takes loving forever to actually die" problem that regular armor sometimes creates. This was so far solved by armor failure chance given to mail and helms (and caps, but they have it by design due to not covering the whole head) which is a clumsy workaround, but the best that could have been done with the tools given. Will have to see if this actually happens within a timeframe of a single fight or if it's more of a "you can't use the same armor for 30 years without repairing it" thing.

Fighters will remove head armor from unconsious foes before trying to kill them via headblow. loving finally. The most obvious change from this is that the price of helms might be slashed pretty hard, and the price of caps maybe tweaked a bit, too. Wrestling has proven itself to be a viable strategy in the tournament, and this might help underp wrestlers to a degree, making them less of a gamble.

How pain works was changed somewhat, although I don't know exactly how. Hopefully, it helps deal with "death by stubbed toe->coup de grace" problem.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Talk about shitposts...

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

my dad posted:

Speaking of shish-ketaurs, ranged combat. On one hand, incidents like the above clearly show that something about it can work. On the other, everything else says that it, uh, doesn't. So, how to deal with this? I have a bit of a radical solution, that requires somewhat of departure from realism in the name of FUN, which I think is fine because a) DF isn't realistic (see exhibit: reusable M712 Copperhead missiles we refer to as "copper spears wielded by minotaurs" in this game) and b) losing is FUN but not always fun. What's the solution? Well, you know how bows use sword skill for melee and crossbows use hammer skill for it? Why just not turn bows and crossbows into slightly more expensive swords and maces that can also shoot. If you need a mental image, think of those elven swordbows from the Lord of the Ring films, or a crossbow equivalent of this. That way, they won't be useless in melee.

That having been said, this won't solve all the problems of ranged fighters. They won't fight in melee if they still have ammo. Step two of the solution is to let people select how much ammo they want to carry. The least complicated solution (read: least work for Jazz) I can think of is just giving every fighter a drop-down list of numbers from 0 to whatever max ammo is. If the fighter doesn't have a ranged weapon, it doesn't do anything. If the fighter does, if gives them X ammo for every ranged weapon they have, in the material of that ranged weapon. This allows for some interesting design options. Do you only give your fighter 1 bolt, to fire an opening shot, and then charge into melee like everyone else? Do you give your whole team 2-3 bolts/arrows so that they can all shoot and stay in formation while the enemy team trundles across the arena, potentially splitting up along the way, and only fighting them after they've been softened up a bit? This still doesn't remove the option of just giving one fighter all the ammo you want for them to keep plinking away at the enemy forever. Incidentally, this also helps deal with shields being (slightly) underpowered and dual wielding being (slightly) overpowered in a way that can't be dealt with just through price modification.

This is something I agree with in broad strokes, yeah.

I lost my old test numbers in a computer move, but I had mocked up weapons to play with this more. I had a slightly nerfed spear weapon that let you throw two javelins before closing, and a "twin axes" weapon where the fighter threw one and immediately charged with the other one. The javelins worked pretty well like archery does now; by making the projectile larger it enhances the throw-the-dice element where you sometimes get a solid hit that really hurts the enemy, and two shots lets you try that and then run to the fight being only a bit late, instead of useless if your first two shots go wide. I was very happy with that ammo number.

The axes are even more dramatic. At one throw then joining the fray, it's basically just an axe where you can't fight two-handed or wear a shield, which is its own downside. But the thrown axe often made nasty, but shallow cuts... and occasionally just instantly bisected the enemy like something from Revengeance.

You could totally make up other such weapons; due to how the game works you can't really make a simple "thrown weapon" and behind the scenes technically the one axe was launched from another axe, but no reason we couldn't have an atlatl that was a trimmed-down mace or the like.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If you're going to be changing Trolls, what if you made their skin tougher? I'm not sure how strong DAMBLOCK is but maybe test a few values and pick something that seems like leather armor.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 5, 2016

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you could let them have a big smelly cloud that inflicts nausea on everyone, because they smell and are dumb and ugly

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
much like your posts

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Give trolls two extra arms.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Give them eye lasers.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Make their bones out of slade.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Turn them inside out

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Turn their dicks into spears and give them 3 levels of spear as a race bonus.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Turn gremlins into dicks and give them three levels of dicking as a race bonus.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 6, 2016

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Replace trolls with miniature bronze colossi.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
My one not-large concern from the last tournament, and I am hesitant to mention it , is that in such a long tournament the difference in points awarded per fight based on size seemed to get progressively less "fair". Not so much an issue against the tiny characters, but the size difference between the medium and large didn't really feel like it was compensating for the point drop once the mediums got geared and skilled up.

This was more based on a general feeling I had at the time rather than any strenuous analysis, and why I am so reluctant to mention it, but the worst that can happen is people can disagree with me and we move on so what the hell.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Give medium size gladiators bigger dick-spears.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JUUUUUUSTIIIIIIIIICE

What a start to a Sunday morning!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pickled Tink posted:

My one not-large concern from the last tournament, and I am hesitant to mention it , is that in such a long tournament the difference in points awarded per fight based on size seemed to get progressively less "fair". Not so much an issue against the tiny characters, but the size difference between the medium and large didn't really feel like it was compensating for the point drop once the mediums got geared and skilled up.

This was more based on a general feeling I had at the time rather than any strenuous analysis, and why I am so reluctant to mention it, but the worst that can happen is people can disagree with me and we move on so what the hell.

I feel as though this is a larger issue in team fights, where size's advantages get muted by the number of combatants.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

my dad posted:

In addition, gremlins and gnomes need both a boost and a way to tell them apart. I wouldn't call them underpowered since people really didn't use them enough (and few people used them well, tbh) during the tournament to really judge, but I sure as hell can't tell them apart. I'll repeat my earlier suggestion: Make gremlins really squshy. Like, really loving squishy, with reduced toughness, endurance, and willpower, but give them a few extra points. That way, gnomes will still fill the niche of "super-tiny fighter" while gremlins fill the niche "that thing that dies as soon as something so much as sneezes on it, if the sneeze lands on it before you get stabbed to death"

The things I know about the new version:

Armor can get damaged. This might help give a solution for the "outfought but takes loving forever to actually die" problem that regular armor sometimes creates. This was so far solved by armor failure chance given to mail and helms (and caps, but they have it by design due to not covering the whole head) which is a clumsy workaround, but the best that could have been done with the tools given. Will have to see if this actually happens within a timeframe of a single fight or if it's more of a "you can't use the same armor for 30 years without repairing it" thing.

Fighters will remove head armor from unconsious foes before trying to kill them via headblow. loving finally. The most obvious change from this is that the price of helms might be slashed pretty hard, and the price of caps maybe tweaked a bit, too. Wrestling has proven itself to be a viable strategy in the tournament, and this might help underp wrestlers to a degree, making them less of a gamble.

How pain works was changed somewhat, although I don't know exactly how. Hopefully, it helps deal with "death by stubbed toe->coup de grace" problem.

I ran a lot of test's with mogwai and curiously it was pretty much random outcome. Gremlins are pretty much the RNG champions of arena challenge
The thing with gremlins is currently the fact that they die from 1 hit. But at same time they can kill opponents usefulness in 1 hit. and they can dodge opponent attacks for long time or die in first attack.

and for some reason in my tests mogwai did a lot more shield bashing, thing that didnt happen in main tournament :iiam:

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
Just to ask a question, will the new tournament be in a new thread or will it continue in this one?

I just finished marathoning through this one and definitely would like to make a terrible fighter that will fail at everything so I can feel better about myself in the next one.

With that expectation I have nowhere to go but up!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Moleboy posted:

With that expectation I have nowhere to go but up!

Ahahahahaha, oh, my sweet summer child. :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I still think an interesting variation on the arena would be a PvE version, pitting each gladiator (or a team) against monsters.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

Ahahahahaha, oh, my sweet summer child. :allears:

He's a moleboy so he can't feel pain.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I still think an interesting variation on the arena would be a PvE version, pitting each gladiator (or a team) against monsters.

Seconded.

Would we know about what monster will be in all the rounds in advance? Or will it be an announcement just as players spend their points.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Each monster set is promised to be "New, exciting, and full of DANGER!", only for it to be a single human and his name is JOHN CENA!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Downside to any such thought: now it takes at least twice as long to get back around to your character.