Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

https://www.meundies.com/products/the-365-pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Spend less on underwear

no

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Spend less on underwear

no

At $10.95 each they better be awesome loving underwear :colbert:

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

ate all the Oreos posted:

At $10.95 each they better be awesome loving underwear :colbert:

I have a pair. Not sure, I never tried loving in them.

I can say they are decent comfort but do not get how people pay so much for them repeatedly. I am guessing their customer base is mostly guys who believe it is the Apple of underwear and underwear fetishists.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Who doesn't wash their socks before wearing them?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Who doesn't wash their socks before wearing them?

Normies.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

VendaGoat posted:

What? You never went to any arcade with a Prize for tickets section?

God damned Skee-ball corrupting the moral fiber of today's youth!
Arcades have gotten way worse since I was a youngin. Recently stopped by the Golfland Arcade in Sunnyvale, which had so many great games for so many years; almost all of the 'real' arcade games are gone, replaced by lowest common denominator crap. Ugh. :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Arcades have gotten way worse since I was a youngin. Recently stopped by the Golfland Arcade in Sunnyvale, which had so many great games for so many years; almost all of the 'real' arcade games are gone, replaced by lowest common denominator crap. Ugh. :(

There was a time when the arcade machine's graphics were WAY WAY better than anything that the consoles/PCs at home could reproduce. That time was about 20 years ago. I still like going to the seedy old arcades and laughing at the lovely graphics that looked so amazing back then, and also shoving a £1's worth of 2ps into those pointless Coin Pusher Machines.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Rondette posted:

There was a time when the arcade machine's graphics were WAY WAY better than anything that the consoles/PCs at home could reproduce. That time was about 20 years ago. I still like going to the seedy old arcades and laughing at the lovely graphics that looked so amazing back then, and also shoving a £1's worth of 2ps into those pointless Coin Pusher Machines.

BWM is going to the arcade and not getting an all-you-can-play card and just going hard on Ghost Squad.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rondette posted:

Every time I go to Dave & Busters I have to play a round of DAYYYTTOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA just cuz :3:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The bowling alley arcade here has skee ball, a few games of chance, a lonely Galaga shoved in the corner, and massive big-screen versions of mobile games. Did you really like Fruit Ninja 4 years ago? How about that air traffic controller game? Well then today's your lucky day.

I've never seen anyone actually playing them. They're probably cheaper to build and maintain than a regular old-school arcade machine though.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rondette posted:

I love those coin pusher machines. There's one by a local cinema I'll waste a few minutes at sometimes before a film. I know I'm just throwing away coins, but it's still fun somehow.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/579b61/father_convinced_me_to_buy_his_home_so_he_may/

This is just... kind of sad actually. Every sentence is worse than the last.

quote:

The house is in an oil city (Fort McMurray), and due to the oil crash I’ve lost a lot of money as the title says. My father bought the house for $530k a few years prior to me living in the home with him. I lived there cheap for one year before he told me that he was going to sell and retire early. The home was not selling as fast as he had hoped, so he approached me with the idea of buying it off of him for market value $585k and he would give $30k of the profit towards my down payment. I was 21yo fresh out of school at my first real job, and expressed concerns that I haven’t done any research into real estate and wasn’t ready being so young. I told him I didn’t want to work in this city for more than 5 years and would rather rent, but if he truly believed this was the best decision then I will trust him. He said that I should get a couple roommates to help with the bills, and that buying the home from him is the best thing to do. Everything was pretty rushed so I never sat down to crunch the numbers of buy vs rent. I bought the house, he paid a realtor $3500 in closing costs to finalize the deal, it was now mine.
Everything was great until the crash. The house was valued at $620k in 2014 but is now $470k. Couldn’t find trustworthy roommates since most of my friends got laid off and left town, or they were stuck with a big mortgage like me. Fortunately, I managed to keep my job.
I have a detailed spreadsheet of overall home costs:
$192k went towards the home in the 4 years (mortgage, taxes, insurance, interest, maintenance, etc)
$112k was earned from roommates
Which means I’ve paid $80k (rent in those 4 years @ average of $1000/mo is $48k)
Plus $30k down (+ father’s $30k) to = 10% down payment
Overall I’m in it $110k, so far
There shouldn’t be any capital gains to worry about come tax time
I’m now unhappy here, and work has given me an opportunity to move close to family/friends. I owe $470k and the value is at $470k. Renting the house isn’t an option, it won’t cover my costs and I won’t be living in the same city. Due to closing costs (approx. $21k) and mortgage penalty (1yr early on the 5yr term $10k) I cannot afford to sell. I’ve already depleted my retirement savings and have been living paycheck to paycheck in hopes of the economy to turn around. Should I ask my father to pay the closing costs since he put me in this situation? Is it right to be angry with him if he doesn’t? Open and use a line of credit? Bankruptcy? Need some help with this one please!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

BWL: screwing your child out of a quick buck now so you can die alone later. Goddamn.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Let me raise the price by $50k and I'll give you $30k back to pay into the price" sounds like something outright illegal or at the very least incredibly stupid

e: I guess it's no worse than car salesmen giving you $5000 CASH BACK DRIVE AWAY TODAY!!! or whatever but I figured it would work differently for house loans :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I really need to call my parents tonight and thank them for not being terrible.

Also I was skeptical about ExOfficio underwear but the improvement in quality of life is amazing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Residency Evil posted:

I really need to call my parents tonight and thank them for not being terrible.

Also I was skeptical about ExOfficio underwear but the improvement in quality of life is amazing.

I still think that $20 underwear is BWM, but I'm also in the camp that wears underwear until my wife can throw it away without me noticing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can get em for 14-15 if you set up price watches on camelx3.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

You can get em for 14-15 if you set up price watches on camelx3.

I got all mine for $12ish a pair on Amazon.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
2/$1 at goodwill suckers!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I got most of my underwear free from my mommy for christmas :smug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Great, underwear humblebrags. Next we'll get that creepy guy who doesn't wear anything.

I prefer wedding chat.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The trick with prêt-à-porter carrier bags is in the selection; they need to be thin enough so you can stomp through the seams, but thick enough that the former handles can last through the day as an over-the-shoulder piece.

The wide range of varieties available ensures you can have a unique, individual look for every day of the week - while still being easy on the budget.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

69 pairs of underwear for $4.20 each

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
A scam so old it was new again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/car-wrap-scam-montreal-1.3799980

(Lead in is girl gets $4000 check for putting advertising on her car. $300 is for her first week, and $3700 for the artist to decal the car (big red flag). She cashes the check, it clears (5 days), she puts money for artist in an account at another bank (big red flag #2).)

quote:

Cleared cheque no guarantee it's legit

A week after Cataford deposited the money in the CIBC account, she was contacted by her credit union.

It informed her the cheque she'd received had been counterfeit, and that she needed to reimburse the Caisse for the full amount of $3,985.

She was pressured to pay up immediately or be prepared to deal with a collection agency.

The Caisse Desjardins issued this form informing Cataford she owed $3,985 to cover a counterfeit cheque, several days after the cheque had been cleared. (Dennis Cleary/CBC)

Cataford was baffled.

Like many people, she thought if her bank cleared a cheque, that was proof it was legitimate.

"That's a misperception that, yes, could be out there," said Mélanie Baillargeon, a senior adviser for security and fraud prevention at the Caisse Desjardins.

Baillargeon said it's important for consumers to know a cheque is never guaranteed.

Ultimately, she explained, clients are responsible for all deposits they make to their accounts. If someone deposits a fraudulent cheque, they have to repay that amount.

In Cataford's case, the five-day hold the Caisse put on the funds was the time it needed to verify that TD-Canada Trust, the issuer's financial institution, would honour the cheque.

In practice, all the issuer's bank does is check that the account exists and that there are sufficient funds to cover the amount on the cheque.

Because the account existed and the funds were there, the cheque issued to Cataford was cleared.

It took a few more days for the Caisse to learn that the cheque had been forged.

"Ninety-nine per cent of the time, the cheque is cleared without any issues," said Baillargeon.

"When it doesn't clear, it's because there's a fraudster involved in the scam, in the transaction, that's playing with the industry rules and the banking system."

Tracing counterfeit cheques

Discovering a fraudulent cheque can take a bank weeks — even months.

Under rules set out by Payments Canada, the financial institution has, in fact, 90 days to return an altered or counterfeit cheque.

The scammers had capitalized on that knowledge.

In Cataford's case, the scammers forged the cheques of Royal Customs Brokers, a legitimate customs brokerage house.

"They used a number of counterfeit cheques, totalling well over $80,000, using cheques with our company name and what used to be our bank account," said Brian Martin, owner of the Fort Erie, Ont.-based company.

Martin said another near victim of the scam, someone in New Brunswick, helped uncover the fraud.

Thinking it odd that the cheque to advertise for a beverage company came from a customs brokerage, the customer asked the bank about it before depositing it.

The New Brunswick bank made its own inquiries, and the scam was uncovered.

The only thing I can't really fault her for is thinking the check was legit when it cleared. I figured the time it took to clear was the bank checking to see if the check was legit, not just checking to see if it's a real account with money in it. Still, I'm (not really) surprised anyone would get past the "take $4,000 and put $3,700 in another account to pay another one of our employees."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Aagar posted:

A scam so old it was new again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/car-wrap-scam-montreal-1.3799980

(Lead in is girl gets $4000 check for putting advertising on her car. $300 is for her first week, and $3700 for the artist to decal the car (big red flag). She cashes the check, it clears (5 days), she puts money for artist in an account at another bank (big red flag #2).)

I'm always amazed that we're still using little piece of paper with numbers on them in the TYOOL 2016. As bad as credit card security in the USA was prior to chips (and likely after) checks seem unimaginably worse.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm always amazed that we're still using little piece of paper with numbers on them in the TYOOL 2016. As bad as credit card security in the USA was prior to chips (and likely after) checks seem unimaginably worse.

I've actually seen a fake check with more security features then the actual checks used by the business it's defrauding.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
So it says 90 days in Canada to be sure. What's the limit in the USA? I've definitely done 2 week holds for MOs from untrusted sources, but it sounds like that may not be enough.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
didnt see this one get posted, found over in gbbis r/relationship thread

quote:

I should start by saying that my daughter is an only child. She has always been our "princess," so to speak, and she's received everything material that a girl could ask for. Before you criticize my husband (her father) and I for spoiling her, we DO realize that we shouldn't have given her everything from a young age but we didn't know any better back then. And we had the money, we're quite well off - so we figured why not support our only child?

My husband owns his own business and I am a schoolteacher. Together we make decent money, and I am looking to retire in the near future. When we first started out I stayed at home and my husband worked an office job, and so my daughter has been pampered with all of my attention and her father's support. She is now going to be married for the third time in her short life. Her only job is occasionally supply teaching in the same school board I work at, so she doesn't have much of a big career yet but I do hope she will find work.

I'll spare you the long of it. She married her high school boyfriend at 22 years old, and they divorced less than two years later in a bitter fight. The wedding was lavish, as it was her first and we truly believed that they would make it work. I guess my husband and I also saw through rose-coloured glasses since we were married very young as well, and are approaching our 35th anniversary. My husband and I pitched in around $25,000 for the wedding ceremony and reception, and perhaps another $3,000 for their honeymoon to Europe.

The second time she was proposed to by another man she was dating, he was a hard-working blue collar man but his family didn't have much money. Again she asked if we could help out with her wedding, that it was true love this time around. We met the man and he was a stand-up, wholesome person and so, a year after that, my daughter (then 27) was married to this second husband. We paid for most of the wedding costs and the honeymoon, to the tune of $43,000.

Her then-husband's mother was a nurse, and his father was a deadbeat. They didn't provide much when it came to the wedding itself, and I admit, the husband and I did harbor ill will toward the fact that her husband's father's name was clearly printed on the reception and invitations as a 'generously contributing' member of the wedding party. But that's another story..

And they divorced because of money issues less than 3 years later. We, tired by this time, forked over money for her divorce costs and tried to regroup our finances. We do have a comfortable nest egg saved up for our post-retired life (I would like to travel the world and maybe buy a small lake house with my husband, he also enjoys woodworking as a hobby), but now my daughter who has begun dating another man has excitedly showed us that she is engaged once again! The man in question proposed less than a year into their dating and she is elated more than anything, because after her second divorce she didn't think any man would want her anymore.

My daughter has hinted at wedding costs and brings home bridal magazines and ideas for cakes and dresses and venues, and I want to be happy for her happiness, but there's a voice inside me that is screaming ENOUGH. We have spent almost over $140,000 of my husband's and my money for my daughter's two failed marriages - wedding, reception, honeymoon costs, divorce costs - and I cannot believe she is thinking of planning another lavish ceremony at our expense. I've tried suggesting maybe this time she should opt for a small backyard ceremony this time, but she turns it around on us and says that we don't believe in her happiness and that we are being cheap, as she is our only daughter and her father and I are quite well-off. Which, to be fair, she is right. I am at a loss of what to say to her.

tl;dr: Twice-married and divorced only daughter is getting married for a third time, where the first two times her affluent father and I paid for a majority of the wedding costs and divorce costs. This time around we want to convince her to have a smaller ceremony but she says we are being cheap and that we don't care for her happiness. Feel like a bad parent.

update

quote:

Hello, it's been a long time. I wanted to retroactively thank everyone for the advice and the anger (must admit that hearing others rage about my situation was pretty cathartic for me). I wasn't going to log back in to post an update, I couldn't even recall the password for this throwaway account but so many of you gave me excellent advice that I feel I must give an update sad as it is.

Long story short, my daughter is getting her third divorce. We are no longer on speaking terms and she has broken our hearts.

Short story long, as many of you predicted, she threw a great big tantrum when her father and I told her explicitly that we would not be paying for the wedding this time around. We said we would buy her a wedding dress and the cake, but that that would be the end of it. That whatever else she wanted would have to come from her and her husband's pocketbook. She said we don't care for her happiness, she cried, she said that we were selfish, everything all of you said was going to happen - all these things hurt so much to hear because they aren't true, we do care very much for her but enough was simply enough. She went so far as to chuck her wedding planner binder into the backyard pool, which was grotesque to watch.

We asked to meet the fiance in question over dinner - what a gem he was. Tattoos all over his knuckles and his neck, showed up to meet us in sweatpants and an ill-fitting hoodie, didn't even shake our hand or introduce himself properly. He looked like trailer trash.

When we asked what his occupation was, he said he was a "sound technician" which made me feel embarrassed for being so prejudiced, but after a quick conversation at the dinner table (where he behaved in the most disgusting manner), turns out that he is a freelance DJ. At 39 years old I believe one should at least be put together, not living with other roommates and working at clubs on weekends. My daughter, I do not know what was wrong with her. She looked at him with such adoring eyes as if he were the best thing since sliced bread. We doubted that he could provide for himself let alone a family.

I don't know if this was a sign, but the sight of this man-boy solidified our decision to not finance a drop of our daughter's third wedding. We still agreed to pay for the cake and the dress, but no more. We even had doubts that maybe this thug was only planning to marry our daughter for the money. We assumed it was true when we found out she had been paying for a few months' worth of his rent that he could not afford to pay out of her own pocket. Like I said, I don't know what was wrong with her.

We gave her a budget of $13,000 for a beautiful dress and maybe another $2,000 for the cake. The wedding planning itself was a disaster as my daughter had a meltdown over every single little thing that went wrong even though we tried to tell her that she could use the $15,000 budget to plan the entire wedding instead of just spending it on the dress and cake alone (that was our intention), that maybe she could scale back the dress and cake for a more humble affair. Maybe it would teach her the value of a dollar.

She would not budge. She did not invite us to the wedding, let alone the reception. We don't even know how it was, as we were not shown any photographs afterward. I spent the entire week crying when I found out she had left us out of the wedding party. She came back a few times with a U-Haul and her disgusting husband to take her possessions from our home and moved in with him.

While my husband and I were gone on a vacation to New Orleans right before Christmas, we had received several voicemails all from our daughter. Her voice was slurring, as if she had been heavily drinking or on drugs. She said that she was going to divorce as he was a "loving deadbeat" who couldn't even treat her to a nice dinner. She said she's had to sell her engagement ring to pay the rent, that she is still living with his roommates, and that - this is the part that just sends me into anger - "that if only we had paid for her wedding and helped her buy a home with him (this wasn't even discussed between us, I do not know where she got this idea from) that she would have made this marriage last." If we had given her MORE money.

My god. What have we done. I am shaking with anger just typing this. My husband wanted to leave her a seething voicemail. I talked him out of it. As far as we know, she has moved forward with the divorce. We will be here for her, we will take her back into our homes, but only if she wishes. At this point we have heard nothing from her and she does not pick up her phone. It is so easy to blame ourselves for being bad parents and I just feel so awful. She is our only child, and if any of our nieces or nephews behaved this way to our siblings we would have cut them out of the family in a second. But we can't. She is our only child, now 31 years old and a thrice-divorcee. It pains me so much what has happened over the last year. I feel like I've lost a daughter.

tl;dr: Daughter is going through with her third divorce even after her father and I gave her a $15,000 budget for her wedding. She is no longer speaking to us after sending us a voicemail that blamed us for not helping her with the entire wedding finances and buying a new home for her that we've never discussed. Husband and I feel like we no longer have a daughter.

could be fake but holy poo poo if it's true :sever:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keep going, I'm almost there.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Potentially too detailed to be fake, then again even if it's fake it's gold. I do know a lot of women going out with deadbeats and they are slowly registering that they could be making some better life choices. No such luck for that daughter, who also seems to be a deadbeat.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I was expecting the daughter (if she exists) to be trying to find someone of means by now. Not that any guy would deal with her poo poo but there's a dichotomy between her thinking she deserves everything and her dating a 39 year old DJ who lives with his friends.

EDIT: I mean seriously if she is remotely attractive she could go to Silicon Valley and find some rich nerd

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 14, 2016

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

ate all the Oreos posted:

I got most of my underwear free from my mommy for christmas :smug:

There was a time in my life where I hated getting socks for Christmas. Now I'm ecstatic if I get socks for Christmas. I.....I think that means I'm an adult now. 😟

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sirotan posted:

There was a time in my life where I hated getting socks for Christmas. Now I'm ecstatic if I get socks for Christmas. I.....I think that means I'm an adult now. 😟

Or, y'know, Dumbledore.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sirotan posted:

It just means that you're happy to get poo poo you'll actually use, instead of having to politely nod and pretend you love it.

aka 'an adult'.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BraveUlysses posted:

didnt see this one get posted, found over in gbbis r/relationship thread

update

I'm confused. Is this from a GBS thread where a bunch of people post about their own broken relationships (analogous to r/relationships), or is it a GBS thread that pulls funny things from r/relationships?

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 14, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm confused. Is this from a GBS thread where a bunch of people post about the broken relationships (analogous to r/relationships), or is it a GBS thread that pulls funny things from r/relationships?

Yes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

So it says 90 days in Canada to be sure. What's the limit in the USA? I've definitely done 2 week holds for MOs from untrusted sources, but it sounds like that may not be enough.

This scam has picked back up it seems. The one going around Chicago right now is responding to Craigslist ads for people selling cars. Sending them the money plus "shipping expenses" on the bad check and having the victim moneygram the shipping funds to the third party. I've seen it twice in our branch alone in the last two months.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm confused. Is this from a GBS thread where a bunch of people post about their own broken relationships (analogous to r/relationships), or is it a GBS thread that pulls funny things from r/relationships?
For your viewing (dis)pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

monster on a stick posted:

EDIT: I mean seriously if she is remotely attractive she could go to Silicon Valley and find some rich nerd

Game industry dudes also waiting with anticipation with girls waiting to park themselves in someone's life. LA/OC can be good with money for one with no ambitions but knows what a Pokemon is.

• Locked thread