Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

MrCompson posted:

My brother has a set of HD700s that he never uses and offered to sell them to me on the cheap, but I can't really say I preferred them to the HD650s when I tried them out.

Why's that?

Re.: HD800, if you loved the K701 chances are good you'll love the 800s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

seravid posted:

Why's that?

Have you heard the 800s?

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

seravid posted:

Why's that?

Well, this was over a year ago and I didn't do a direct comparison, but I just wasn't really blown away by the HD700s at the time. Also, while it's not really that important, I kind of hate the look of the HD700s and HD800s.

quote:

If I bought the HD800s used, they'd be quite a bit over my budget, and new they'd be almost three times my budget. I'd prefer to not go completely crazy and to actually stick with the pretty big budget I set :v:.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Stupid UPS sticking to delivery schedule. They're literally going to hold onto my Sony MDR-1000X's all day today for delivery tomorrow despite being in the depot just 40 miles away. :argh:

Let us know what you think of it. I have my eye on it too.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you heard the 800s?

Many times since I purchased them six years ago. Do you disagree? It's been a while, but I remember them having a fairly similar sound.

MrCompson posted:

If I bought the HD800s used, they'd be quite a bit over my budget, and new they'd be almost three times my budget. I'd prefer to not go completely crazy and to actually stick with the pretty big budget I set :v:.

That's fine and why I didn't suggest them in the first place!

And yes, they do look a little silly.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So I recently wore out like my 5th pair of OEM Samsung earbuds (S3 style) and I can't seem to find anything but absolute garbage counterfeits anywhere online. Anyone got a source for the real deal OEM?

Failing that, opinions on Sennheiser CX 2.00Gs? I'm a cheap bastard and if someone tells me the buttons/mic will work with my old S3 I might stretch to spending $40 on some earbuds.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying some new cans:

Primary Source: MacBook Pro and/or iPhone 7+

Budget: $200-$450, but can go above if it's worth it

Preferred Size: Over Ear, big and comfy

Current rig: Sennheiser Momentum 1.0

Notes:

I would like to get wireless headphones, noise cancellation is a plus but not required.

I wanted to just get the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless because I love my current headphones and they have great reviews. I held off on impulse purchasing because they were released last year and use Bluetooth 4.0 with aptx. I'm interested in getting Bluetooth 4.2, is there a notable uptick in sound quality between 4.0 -> 4.2? I seem to remember reading somewhere that quality was better due to less lossy compression.

I was looking at the Beoplay H7 wireless ones. They have 4.2, B&O seems generally respected, and they look nice. Style is an important factor for me because I will wear them when traveling and at the office sometimes, and also because I don't like things that look like junk.

I'm wide open to suggestions right now. Thanks and God bless.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
Right now I'm lookinag at picking up some ATH-M50x. These will be my first non-razer/gaming headphones so I'm pretty excited.

It seems it hits EVERYTHING I want in the price range - durable, great sound with some fun bass, loud compared to my normal garbage, doesn't need an amp.

It just seems to be so popular, however it also seems to have a good amount of haters (reddit etc)

I think I'm just posting cause I'm weak and need affirmation that I should go ahead with this buy :)

Also interested in pad recommendations as I heard comfort may be the only issue, however I'm used to wearing garbage on ear headphones so I'm not too worried. I'm just really worried about a pad that will hurt sound quality.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Notes:

I would like to get wireless headphones, noise cancellation is a plus but not required.

I wanted to just get the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 wireless because I love my current headphones and they have great reviews. I held off on impulse purchasing because they were released last year and use Bluetooth 4.0 with aptx. I'm interested in getting Bluetooth 4.2, is there a notable uptick in sound quality between 4.0 -> 4.2? I seem to remember reading somewhere that quality was better due to less lossy compression.

I was looking at the Beoplay H7 wireless ones. They have 4.2, B&O seems generally respected, and they look nice. Style is an important factor for me because I will wear them when traveling and at the office sometimes, and also because I don't like things that look like junk.

I'm wide open to suggestions right now. Thanks and God bless.

The Audeze EL-8 Open or Closed are pretty nice, around $500. Planar headphones that you can run with your phone. Really smooth sound, not a ton of punch, but there is weight behind the music. The closed version that I own blocks sound fairly well at a reasonable volume.

If you want to go higher for $999 the Focal Elear are amazing, I own a pair and I really enjoy the sound. They punch and are very fast. They are also open headphones so you won't be blocking out any sound.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Rushi posted:

Right now I'm lookinag at picking up some ATH-M50x. These will be my first non-razer/gaming headphones so I'm pretty excited.

It seems it hits EVERYTHING I want in the price range - durable, great sound with some fun bass, loud compared to my normal garbage, doesn't need an amp.

It just seems to be so popular, however it also seems to have a good amount of haters (reddit etc)

I think I'm just posting cause I'm weak and need affirmation that I should go ahead with this buy :)

Also interested in pad recommendations as I heard comfort may be the only issue, however I'm used to wearing garbage on ear headphones so I'm not too worried. I'm just really worried about a pad that will hurt sound quality.

Uh, I guess to add to this, If I'm looking primarily for gaming headphones, is it worth getting the m50x, or should I just go for the m40x?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

is there a notable uptick in sound quality between 4.0 -> 4.2?

4.1 was IoT stuff and 4.2 was IPv6 stuff and some improved privacy/security things. 4.2 is also "250 % faster", but there are no plans to take advantage of it with audio applications as far as I know.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Got it, so no audio differences between 4.0 with aptX and 4.2?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Hamelekim posted:

The Audeze EL-8 Open or Closed are pretty nice, around $500. Planar headphones that you can run with your phone. Really smooth sound, not a ton of punch, but there is weight behind the music. The closed version that I own blocks sound fairly well at a reasonable volume.

If you want to go higher for $999 the Focal Elear are amazing, I own a pair and I really enjoy the sound. They punch and are very fast. They are also open headphones so you won't be blocking out any sound.

Thanks for the suggestions! the EL-8 is wired only, which is something I'd like to avoid. It also seems like new in open or closed back would be $700, which is definitely more than I'm willing to put in.

Does anyone have any experience with B&O or B&W? Or the Sennheiser Momentum 2 with BT 4.0?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Stupid UPS sticking to delivery schedule. They're literally going to hold onto my Sony MDR-1000X's all day today for delivery tomorrow despite being in the depot just 40 miles away. :argh:

I'm really liking mine, the quick attention thing is genius. It plays all the sound picked up by the microphone through to your headphones so you can easily hear anything you'd want.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Got it, so no audio differences between 4.0 with aptX and 4.2?

Nope. Only benefit is range and stability, which is already more than good enough with well-implemented 4.0. Aptx is already pretty much indistinguishable from lossless and has been for a while. The construction of the headphones and the quality of the built-in amp are a much bigger factor at this point than the codec. Ideally, try both. The Momentum is the best wireless headphone I've heard, period, but I haven't tried the H7 and a ton of people seem to love them.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So what's the verdict on the new Sony vs the new Sennheiser for best ANC headphones?

Edit: I meant ANC and sound quality. Thanks for the clarification.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 13, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
If you're just looking for ANC, Bose is still the winner by a huge margin. If not for the ANC, they would be garbage, since the sound quality is just "ok" which doesn't cut it at the $300 price point anymore.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If you're just looking for ANC, Bose is still the winner by a huge margin. If not for the ANC, they would be garbage, since the sound quality is just "ok" which doesn't cut it at the $300 price point anymore.

Are you sure about that? Many HeadFi members that went to the most recent CanJam last week have said that they did a AB comparison, bringing their own Bose, with the new Sony 1000x ANC headphones and Sony had the superior noise cancelling technology, as well as SQ.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Are you sure about that? Many HeadFi members that went to the most recent CanJam last week have said that they did a AB comparison, bringing their own Bose, with the new Sony 1000x ANC headphones and Sony had the superior noise cancelling technology, as well as SQ.

This I did not know. That's really exciting!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Depths posted:

I'm really liking mine, the quick attention thing is genius. It plays all the sound picked up by the microphone through to your headphones so you can easily hear anything you'd want.

Yeah, it's possibly going to be a much used feature in my work setting.

Also loving UPS. They delivered it 3 minutes after I left for work. :argh:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Jaybird x2 seems to be the popular choice around here. Logitech just bought them, so i would maybe wait a bit as they might blow out the old inventory.

Speaking of,
These are on sale on amazon, best buy, and target at the moment for half off.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/13/deal-alert-jaybird-x2-wireless-earbuds-79-99-100-off-target/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How are the Sony MDR-ZX770 BN noise cancelling headphones? I have a couple flights coming up and those would be nice. Anything better I should be considering under $200?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Endless Mike posted:

How are the Sony MDR-ZX770 BN noise cancelling headphones? I have a couple flights coming up and those would be nice. Anything better I should be considering under $200?

Haven't tried the noise cancelling version. Other than that, they're comfy, sound decent and have the weakest hinge mechanism I've ever seen in a portable headphone. Look on eBay and you'll find a vast landscape of broke rear end 770s.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Finally.

Shame I didn't get them before work because that's where I really need the noise canceling. But that's for tomorrow!

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
How compact are they in travel mode? I'm happy with my QC35 but better is always better.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Uncle Ivan posted:

How compact are they in travel mode? I'm happy with my QC35 but better is always better.

Dunno firsthand, it's definitely smaller than the QC15's case though.

This YouTube has a direct comparison that you can eyeball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toWwmr3V3so

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Thanks. Looks pretty similar. Would be curious to compare the two models, but probably not really worth switching at this point. I just kinda hate myself for buying Bose a little bit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Uncle Ivan posted:

Thanks. Looks pretty similar. Would be curious to compare the two models, but probably not really worth switching at this point. I just kinda hate myself for buying Bose a little bit.

Unfortunately I have the QC15 and not the QC35 so I can't really compare them directly.

Anyways, the battery finished charging a little while ago so here are some first observations:

Out of the box, they fit more tightly than I'd like. My QC15's rest on my head much more lightly. I then remembered the headband is metal, so with a little bit of flexing and it feels loads better. The true test will be after a workday having them on.

Ambient mode is neat but may not see much use in my work setting sitting next to a 20 ton AC unit. Quick attention mode is neat as hell though. I'll have more of an idea when I'm at work.

Touchpad controls. I wasn't 100% sure on this, but they seem good and intuitive. My concern was volume changing quickly. But it turns out you can just swipe up or down and leave your finger on and it will turn up and down easily.

Headphones sound good in general through bluetooth and connection is solid.

Noise canceling seems solid. The optimizer is mix between weird and cool? A bunch of tones play and apparently it tweaks the noise cancelling accounting for your head and the noise around you. I know I'm definitely not getting the low hiss of white noise like my QC15's give out when it is on so that's nice. Again, I need to do this at work to have a better idea of what it can do.

Case, little bummed the pocket is outside and not inside, minor thing.

What I am really bummed about is that it seems the ear cups are not replaceable. The only reason my QC15 lasted so long was that I've been able to swap out the ear cups so that makes me really concerned for the Sony later on down the line.

Edit: On that note, what's the best way to maintain synthetic leather? Wiping them down when I'm finished using them?

Edit #2: Sidenote, while wired, you get more range while the headphones are powered on. A N3DS may not be the best source, but I could tell there was a difference between passive and active.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 14, 2016

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

well why not posted:

Headsets with mics included (particularly gamer stuff) are typically garbage. You'e better off finding an inexpensive lapel mic and and whatever closed sennheisers you can afford with that.

Thanks. Is there a specialized mic thread anywhere or anything? I searched IYG and couldn't find one.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Jaybird x2 seems to be the popular choice around here. Logitech just bought them, so i would maybe wait a bit as they might blow out the old inventory.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah these.

Are these a good recommendation in general, or for this particular "wireless under $100" case? The amazon page has a lot of 1 and 2 star reviews which gives me a bit of pause.; I'd like something I can carry around to use with my phone (my "phone" headphones are a pair of Sennheiser PX100).

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I own a pair of those that I use daily, and I like them. Specially if you find the same deal on Amazon that I found for someone here before. They are very portable and sound decent for their price. The NC is good enough to block the noise from my pc-fans when it's activated. Someone's also made a detailed review of them on head-fi should you want to read more about them.

Passburger fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 14, 2016

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Probably heavily discussed already but why not bring it up again: worth going m50x over m40x?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

prom candy posted:

Probably heavily discussed already but why not bring it up again: worth going m50x over m40x?

I think the M40x are worlds better. The 50s are the "fun" tuning, so you're getting a whomping 8db bass boost and a sizzly 8k spike. Those are not necessarily bad things, especially for portable use, but the HD25s are the same price and do it infinitely better. The driver in the 50x just doesn't seem fast enough for what they're trying to do with it.

The M40x is still a tad bassy, but not overwhelmingly so, and otherwise very neutral. Both bass and treble are well extended, the driver is reasonably fast, it's just a great sounding closed can. You're gonna need to swap the pads on either one, but I really like my m40s and really dislike the m50s I've listened to.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hmm, good to know. Why swap the pads? Just comfort? I've never swapped pads on cans before, does it affect the isolation?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

prom candy posted:

Hmm, good to know. Why swap the pads? Just comfort? I've never swapped pads on cans before, does it affect the isolation?

Comfort, yes. I find the stock M series pads completely intolerable. It can affect isolation, some pads like 840s or pleather HM5s will improve it , while anything velour will hurt it. For the M series, my favorites are the angled NVX pads: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66627_NVX-XRE100A.html

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

how big a deal are the manufacturing inconsistencies with the Fidelio X2? are they still shipping them out with glued earpads?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Notes:

I know you want wireless, but if you like headphones, have the budget and don't own an HD600, you really should. I have too many headphones, but if I had to have only have one setup for the rest of my life it would be my 580s and an O2/ODAC.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh, forgot to post about using the Sony MDR-1000X during my work day.

ANC tuned out the majority of the roaring AC's in the lab. I was listening to podcasts to most of the day so I could still hear them, but when I went to music toward the end of the day they were totally out of the picture. Much better job than the QC15.

Wearing them all day (minus lunch), felt alright. I think this maybe a little concerning because getting the right fit feels super critical because the metal headband is really strong even after flexing it out and sits a bit more tightly than I would personally like.

Soundwise, sounds good. I'm no FLAC aficionado but to me it's good. Bass is light, but defined which I actually prefer.

I'm going to see Shin Godzilla today and there's a Bose outlet where the theater is, I know it's poopoo'ed already, but I need to know about the fit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had the QC35s there to listen to. It was my first time trying noise-cancelling headphones and the second between when the cancelling turns on but before the music and everything goes silent was just :stare:. I need a pair now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had the QC35s there to listen to. It was my first time trying noise-cancelling headphones and the second between when the cancelling turns on but before the music and everything goes silent was just :stare:. I need a pair now.

I was just a Best Buy as well and they should have the Sony MDR 1000's there as well, though they didn't have a demo unit. Everyone says they are marginally better than the QC35's at noise cancelling.