Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

tl;dr asian students flip out at being given any creative freedom, japanese students are given some random ideas by the teacher, chinese students attempt to cheat/copy, still can't figure it out, and end up accusing the school of giving unfair advantage to the japanese.
LOL at this whole story. Those rascally Japanese are once again hurting the feelings of the Chinese!
When I was in university, all of the Japanese foreign students were really out going and wanting to make tons of local friends and study with them and get white guy boyfriends and girlfriends and join clubs and be normal humans. The Chinese were in their super China bubbles would avoid all contact with local people and all very obviously cheat or have someone do their essays and homework for them.

RedTeam posted:

Yo Haier I've been readling your posts for like three or four threads but I don't think I ever read what you actually do for a job in china.
Try with all my might to take a solid poop. It's like Scanners. I'm using my mind to keep it all together.

Also does Angel Opportunity post anymore? Some dumbo doxxxed him/her in another thread and I haven't seen an AO post since.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

There are some Chinese grad students in my lab who spend lunch chewing loudly with their mouth open and wetly smack their lips with each bite. It is loving disgusting.

Is this a cultural thing? All of China? Areas of China? Just these guys?
I've been told it's a TCM thing where you must also consume air with every bite, allowing you get full on air and not full on food and therefore you can remain slim. Basically, something who went through a famine would think up.
I've more fond of the tremendous open-mouthed coughing people do when food is spicy. They make sure to point right at whatever you're eating.

ladron posted:

tried this out in Bangkok. No elves, and only one 6 head which was probably a balding ladyboy. Uninstalled. I feel cheated.
I tried it in BKK and it was all ladyboy prostitutes. It was nearly the same in Chiang Mai too. Thais prefer Line, so the only people using Wechat are looking for Chinese tourist customers. I did get a normal Chinese girl add me because she was studying at Chiang Mai university, but she was bummed I wasn't staying long so we deleted each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fish and chips and dip posted:

The way I see it, if they do it in China it's ok (still gross) as it's part of their culture and it's not hurting anyone and it's not inherently rude. If they do it abroad in the US or Europe, then calling them out and shaming them for it is ok as they should respect the culture of the place they are at (as if lol).

I didn't call anyone out on it when I lived in China but you can't just say everything is a "part of your culture" as justification for it. Part of the culture is defensible when it's something they gave thought to and cultivated -- in that case even something unpalatable like bullfighting is still defensible because it's a genuine part of the culture. The way people eat in China sometimes however is not a part of their culture, it's not something they cultivated and considered. It's just a lacuna in thought, it's like just ripping rear end wherever you are because you're a moron and never thought to hold it in while you're in the elevator. It's not a part of Chinese culture to eat like a loving animal, it's one of the gaps in their culture that allows for it. Americans have huge gaps in their culture as well (use your loving inside voice on the bus at 6:30 am Curt, we're not in your daddy's loving cornfield right now) but it would be retarded to suggest that these gaps are anything other than negative space -- they're where thoughtless animal habit shines through the culture, not the culture itself.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
There was some food noise in Taiwan but in general they were considerate when they ate. Thai people have the best overall table manners of anyone on earth.

It's the goddamn mainlanders every time.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

The way I see it, if they do it in China it's ok (still gross) as it's part of their culture and it's not hurting anyone and it's not inherently rude. If they do it abroad in the US or Europe, then calling them out and shaming them for it is ok as they should respect the culture of the place they are at (as if lol).

As we sensitive westerners respect other cultures when we travel abroad, eh? :ironicat:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

There was some food noise in Taiwan but in general they were considerate when they ate. Thai people have the best overall table manners of anyone on earth.

I don't know man, I can't imagine table manners ever being able to be "the best" without at least 3 kinds of fork on the table.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ceciltron posted:

I don't know man, I can't imagine table manners ever being able to be "the best" without at least 3 kinds of fork on the table.

Do three different brands of stamped sheetmetal forks count?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do three different brands of stamped sheetmetal forks count?

if they are used properly, yes. Dying of lead fork poisoning can still be very dignified.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

I didn't call anyone out on it when I lived in China but you can't just say everything is a "part of your culture" as justification for it. Part of the culture is defensible when it's something they gave thought to and cultivated -- in that case even something unpalatable like bullfighting is still defensible because it's a genuine part of the culture. The way people eat in China sometimes however is not a part of their culture, it's not something they cultivated and considered. It's just a lacuna in thought, it's like just ripping rear end wherever you are because you're a moron and never thought to hold it in while you're in the elevator. It's not a part of Chinese culture to eat like a loving animal, it's one of the gaps in their culture that allows for it. Americans have huge gaps in their culture as well (use your loving inside voice on the bus at 6:30 am Curt, we're not in your daddy's loving cornfield right now) but it would be retarded to suggest that these gaps are anything other than negative space -- they're where thoughtless animal habit shines through the culture, not the culture itself.

Interesting point, I never looked at it as "culture" vs. "negative space" your argument makes sense in that context. My point of view is that culture is not necessarily something that has been cultivated and developed over time, but could also be everything that is generally accepted and generally not accepted within a culture. I'm not saying we should accept everything because "it's their culture", but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt in certain cases (slurping while eating) but not in others (smoking in elevators to give an unrelated example).

Anyway, I understand your point now.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Pirate Radar posted:

This sounds like a loving cyberpunk novel

The modern world is cyberpunk

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

if they are used properly, yes. Dying of lead fork poisoning can still be very dignified.

Peasant. My forks are 100% cadmium. :china:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4eARl9omVs

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
We were at Arches national park last weekend. Amazing place, probably my favorite I've visited. The very closest observation spot is a short drive from the welcome center and has a 50' walk from the lot to a small viewing area. It's stunning no doubt, but there is a hike you can do from there and miles more road past arches , balancing rocks, hiking trails that take you to enormous arches, cave art etc. A bus stopped and a group of loud Chinese tourists got off. Honestly no big deal or fuss. The thing is they hung for a bit taking photos, one lady sang for a bit, loaded back up and left the park having seen the first thing they came to and only .01℅ of the park. Arches is fairly out there too. I guess they were driving on to grand canyon but drat that's a lot of road for so little time.

Also the butterfly essay was top notch.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

We were at Arches national park last weekend. Amazing place, probably my favorite I've visited. The very closest observation spot is a short drive from the welcome center and has a 50' walk from the lot to a small viewing area. It's stunning no doubt, but there is a hike you can do from there and miles more road past arches , balancing rocks, hiking trails that take you to enormous arches, cave art etc. A bus stopped and a group of loud Chinese tourists got off. Honestly no big deal or fuss. The thing is they hung for a bit taking photos, one lady sang for a bit, loaded back up and left the park having seen the first thing they came to and only .01℅ of the park. Arches is fairly out there too. I guess they were driving on to grand canyon but drat that's a lot of road for so little time.

Also the butterfly essay was top notch.

Tourism with Chinese characteristics, it's all about shopping or taking one picture with the most famous landmark in whatever place you go to, I always smirk internally when I go to museums and see people run between exhibits quickly snapping photos of everything before going back out. But this style of tourism is also quite handy, if you just go to a less famous place, the crowds will be minimal. One national holiday I went to this lake region about 3-4 hours outside of Shanghai and it was more or less devoid of people, it was amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

To an extent yes, but I'm also regularly told my people in Asia that it's rude to eat with your mouth open and that Chinese/Korean people never do it, even when we are currently surrounded by people doing it and it happens every day.

I only make a deal about it with my 12th graders who are moving to the US for college, since the point of the class I teach them is about US culture and how to get along living there.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
People who aren't smart assume they didn't "make it" in life because when they were kids they didn't mindlessly "study" in school the many Chinese children are forced to do. It makes sense they wouldn't understand that the Chinese education system is a poo poo model that shouldn't be emulated.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

~ Chinese Tourists ~

The other day I went to visit my friend at the University of Washington... they literally drop off tour busses of Chinese tourists on this promenade which runs from the main campus to the light rail station and they walked around this area for like twenty minutes gawking and taking pictures / selfies of a flock of geese and random squirrels, after twenty minutes they all poured back into the busses and were off. They also were gawking at another friend who was visiting from Portland and is a 6'4 ish white dude and a couple of people took selfies with him.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Reminder that China killed all its intellectuals a few decades ago. If you did the same anywhere you'd end up with a population of mostly disgusting beastpeople too

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Jack2142 posted:

~ Chinese Tourists ~

The other day I went to visit my friend at the University of Washington... they literally drop off tour busses of Chinese tourists on this promenade which runs from the main campus to the light rail station and they walked around this area for like twenty minutes gawking and taking pictures / selfies of a flock of geese and random squirrels, after twenty minutes they all poured back into the busses and were off. They also were gawking at another friend who was visiting from Portland and is a 6'4 ish white dude and a couple of people took selfies with him.

Wait... they didn't even go to the quad? Or Red Square? Should have just dropped them off at the Jack In The Box parking lot on the Ave at around 1am for a Real America Experience.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Potrzebie posted:

As we sensitive westerners respect other cultures when we travel abroad, eh? :ironicat:

"should"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's no coincidence that the Thai people I talked to about it thought mainland tourists were gross, disrespectful assholes

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The eating noises I don't really mind, but what gets to me is 1) the lack of personal space and 2) the loving constant yelling. You start a conversation with someone using your best, politest inside voiciest "hello" or "knee how" and the next second you got a pimply neckbeard/goonette with food still in their mouth and a giant booger sticking out their nostril stepping up to you until they're half a foot away from your face and just screaming like there's a loving hurricane going on. Bonus points if they forget halfway through that you don't speak Chinese and just start yelling Mandarin phrases at you, even after you've reminded them you don't speak Chinese AND they themselves started off speaking English to you. You can't ask them to quiet down, either, because then they'd lose face if they did and HAVE TO YELL EVEN LOUDERRRRR AT THE STUPID FOREIGNERRRRRR.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know how you can think mainlanders are loud when American tourists are notorious for talking way too loudly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Better look at those standard ladders.

Some chabuduo window replacement.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

Vegetable posted:

I don't know how you can think mainlanders are loud when American tourists are notorious for talking way too loudly

How can you have tourists from a country with no name, do you know.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Because they are. Mainlanders and Koreans (particularly in the southeast where I lived) are waaaaaaay louder than Americans. It's not even a contest.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My fiancée and I have an incredibly positive and rewarding relationship. One that we have earned with hard work, mutual support, and, sometimes, navigating tough conflicts and personal failings. We are a partnership of equals. To understand our current concern you will need to know some of the specifics of who we are:

My fiancée, Hops, (not her real name, clearly) is ethnically Chinese, but has lived in the west for most of her life, and all of her adult life. I am caucasian and have only lived in the west. Hops' family has a somewhat troubled past. They moved often and had fluctuating income. She has ongoing issues with the demands and behavior of her mother, Wheat, and her father is no longer a part of her life. We talk about these issues, and I help where I can, mostly by (hopefully) offering perspective. Finally, our engagement will be her second marriage, my first. We have been engaged for 7 months and are deep in wedding planning, something we are paying for ourselves.

Wheat maintains her connections with China, and is not very comfortable communicating in english. This limits my ability to directly speak with her, but it is not impossible. Wheat lives in the west, but in another country and thousands of miles from Hops and myself.

Recently Wheat called Hops, after Wheat had visited China, and said that she expected me to pay a bride-price or dowery to her. Neither Hops or I were familiar with the tradition, and had to resort to wikipedia and ex-pat websites to research the practice. Wheat would not set an amount, saying that I "would have to figure that out," but that she "raised [Hops] into a woman" and that should be kept in mind.

Socially and culturally, I find this abhorrent and objectifying, but I freely admit my bias - I was not raised in this culture. My fiancée agrees with me, calling the request crazy. I also hate the inherent paternalism/cringe of being the "rich white guy paying for an asian bride" even if that is only Wheat's perception. Finally, Hops' first husband was not asked to honor this tradition.

However, I want to strengthen my relationship with Hops for the long term. Wheat's good will and buy-in is important for the health of our life together. She has (unintentionally) offered me a way to buy her opinion. We are in a financial situation where we could afford to pay a small amount but we would take a hit. We are not, by any stretch of the imagination, wealthy. I don't have specifics on Wheat's situation, but it is far from perfect, financial. I know future requests will materialize.

I'd love to hear any thoughts on the situation or background/cultural insight on the bride-price practice. It would be nice to have a number/range to reference to help our decision making. Also how to approach Wheat with our decision.

Privately, the amount I have proposed to Hops is 40 USD in Gamestop credit and a bucket, as those do not depreciate. /s

Apologies for any cultural insensitivity on my part. Thanks!

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Fair enough, then I only find it quite a lot to ask, as "culture" is not very easy to understand as a temporary visitor abroad. Sure, big things as "do not poo poo on sidewalk" should be easy to follow, but the details, like "when toasting an elder, make sure that the top of your glass is below the top of the elders, or be disrespectful" is not an obvious thing to follow. Having people around me act wierd does not help, they actually have to articulate what it is I as a guest is doing wrong.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Source your quotes, but the fact that I didn't pay a dowry even though her parents wanted me to, when I got married is one of my proudest China moments. Instead I just got her dad two cartons of chungwa and just paid for the tiny (15 people) banquet, I was out less than 1000 USD for my Chinese wedding.

My Russian colleague paid a dowry of close to 300.000 RMB, and he's not wealthy by any means, that must have been a rough as gently caress hit.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Source your quotes, but the fact that I didn't pay a dowry even though her parents wanted me to, when I got married is one of my proudest China moments. Instead I just got her dad two cartons of chungwa and just paid for the tiny (15 people) banquet, I was out less than 1000 USD for my Chinese wedding.

My Russian colleague paid a dowry of close to 300.000 RMB, and he's not wealthy by any means, that must have been a rough as gently caress hit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China/comments/577cp7/questions_about_bride_price_from_a_dumb_white_guy/

Further on down the plot thickens:

quote:

Hold the phone, the mother is from HK? That is an unexpected plot twist.

So a person from HK, who lives in the West, whose daughter has only lived in the West and married a Westerner, demands bride dowry in the name of Chinese tradition?

I've lived in China for a while, so nothing surprises me. But drat...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Potrzebie posted:

Fair enough, then I only find it quite a lot to ask, as "culture" is not very easy to understand as a temporary visitor abroad. Sure, big things as "do not poo poo on sidewalk" should be easy to follow, but the details, like "when toasting an elder, make sure that the top of your glass is below the top of the elders, or be disrespectful" is not an obvious thing to follow.

Most people are pretty forgiving of those detailed ones, though. You get a certain leeway as a visiting outsider, and in my experience that leeway exists everywhere. You get occasional dicks but you have to factor in the assholes anywhere. It's the basic decency stuff like don't poo poo on the sidewalk directly outside a bathroom that causes the trouble.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Because they are. Mainlanders and Koreans (particularly in the southeast where I lived) are waaaaaaay louder than Americans. It's not even a contest.

You must be deaf to your own accent because you lot are much worse. You can always hear the American coming from half a mile away, even over a crowds of drunk tuhaos, and they never stop talking either.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah it's true, Chinese don't really say much so it comes as an even bigger surprise when they stand close enough for you to feel their breath before screaming NEE HWEE SHWARR JONGWEN MAAAAAA in your loving ear

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Hey guys just popping in to the thread to say that mainland Chinese immigrants to Me Country seem to be pretty nice people but they also never hang out with anyone who is not Chinese. I'm really worried that they are forming Ethnic Enclaves and planning to take over.

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

Sheep-Goats posted:

and when you put Chinese in a Thai buffet..

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:trumppop:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
It will be the first step into a long line of paying for poo poo.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Do bride prices go down or up on the 2nd marriage?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Yeah, basically. I don't like it either. But there's not actually anything wrong with it.

One of the practical aspects of chewing with your mouth closed is not flinging food great distances by means of mastication.
And this is to say nothing of any other manners.

Haier posted:

M8, they be arms of a Chinese girl found on a Wechat wall making an awful legitimate white people sandwich. Eat Fresh.

-----

Saw an older lady on People Nearby. I assumed she was early forties and it looked like she spoke English, so I thought I'd give it a shot. She added me and we started talking and she did speak English for most of the coversation. She was very friendly and telling me how she'd lived in the US before and it was wonderful, and she loves Japan, and really hates China and Chinese people and said they are all cheaters and "annoying." I asked how she came to this conclusion and she said her family is ethnic Korean and most of them quit China to return to Korea but she's stuck here now.
She said in the future when I am not such a young man I might understand. I asked how old she was and told her my age (early thirties) and she said her daughter is the same age as me.

Now I have a date with her daughter even though I'm working on the mom. LMAO. The daughter is attractive and single and Korean, so I am not complaining. The mom lives one street over and invited me to her house for a home-cooked meal.

I am still convinced something crazy/weird is going to happen. I can't see how it won't, this being China.

A while back, but in places that aren't China, this is how Korean ladies set their daughters up. They'll cook you food, treat you to lunch after you join them in going to church(even if you don't participate, just going is plenty), and basically make the case for their daughter.

It, however, does nothing to reflect the actual person and personality of the daughter in question.

I say "places not China" because the mainland seems to have a problem with open and constant profession of a religion that may or may not subvert the authority of the CCP with things like "the golden rule" and "stone the gays".

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid, my aunt married to an american who came by to visit every once in a while. He would eat with his mouth open and generally be really gross about it. I grew up with the notion that all americans ate like gross people like that but then realized he was just a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Dude should tell her that in his culture it's customary "To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women."

When she asks what that means, he should send a fruitcake.

• Locked thread