Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's some ideas out there about Jupiter having some weird form of metallic hydrogen too. Maybe more liquid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

There's some ideas out there about Jupiter having some weird form of metallic hydrogen too. Maybe more liquid though.

At least the outer layer of Jupiter's core has to be liquid something, the pressure and gravitational forces are so extreme that nothing could be a gas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Licking a chunk of metallic hydrogen would probably not be health-enhancing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Lone Badger posted:

Licking a chunk of metallic hydrogen would probably not be health-enhancing.

Considering it would have to be at crushing atmospheric pressure or almost Absolute Zero, yeah, either one would be quickly fatal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's gotta be a giant diamond, right?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Considering it would have to be at crushing atmospheric pressure or almost Absolute Zero, yeah, either one would be quickly fatal.

QED, there is no life on the other planet. :colbert:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Abyssal Squid posted:

QED, there is no life on the other planet. :colbert:

Haha, it's entirely possible for different chemistry of life to exist in the mid or upper atmosphere of Jupiter, although having it develop in the first place that would be really unusual.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Or neither of those things is true and the hydrogen is very vigorously ceasing to be metallic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Lone Badger posted:

Or neither of those things is true and the hydrogen is very vigorously ceasing to be metallic.

Now you've got me wondering what metallic sublimation would look like.

(the non-explosively-expanding variety, anyway)

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Enourmo posted:

Now you've got me wondering what metallic sublimation would look like.

(the non-explosively-expanding variety, anyway)

Check out solid iodine. It's sort of metallic and sublimes purple gas.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm not a chemist or physicist, but my understanding is that metallic hydrogen is degenerate matter rather than solid.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not a chemist or physicist, but my understanding is that metallic hydrogen is degenerate matter rather than solid.

So it hangs around a gas station and buys smokes for teenagers?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

:golfclap:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hedningen posted:

Assuming the author's at the same university the page links to, I can attest that the solid-state equipment was poorly maintained. Mostly because I had to repair most of it while working for the physics department. At least I learned (and forgot until recently) how to work with vacuum tubes thanks to some ridiculous legacy equipment. In the spirit of the thread, most of the work I did was in an old storage room that, when we cleaned it out, happened to have an uncovered bucket of mercury in it. Still less hazardous than the actual electronics shop, which always had conspiracy radio on, interspersed with Czech cursing.

Man, I miss working as a low-level technician in a research university. The sheer weirdness of tenured physics people doing insane experiments is well worth the occasional hazardous moment.

That dude did switch to CS and now works at ILM. I find this awesome.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It buys Pluto beer even though it's not a planet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

GWBBQ posted:

It buys Pluto beer even though it's not a planet

Oh my god.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Haha, it's entirely possible for different chemistry of life to exist in the mid or upper atmosphere of Jupiter, although having it develop in the first place that would be really unusual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlHcVzqicHE

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Have you considered that the development of ANY sort of life is so unlikely as to require a divine Creator? makes u think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHg4JWnlAXw

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
A creator with an inordinate fondness for gaseous nitrogen; why else would so many compounds seek to return to that stage of grace?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just cesium so no big deal but I am impressed at how much this guy's using.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytxx95g-kiA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Periodic Videos did a demo with a similar quantity of cesium under slightly more controlled conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2YrZNahqiw

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
"Just cesium" is something that would only be uttered somewhere with a big fan base of exotic nitrogen compounds.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cesium: melt in your hand and not in your mouth.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cesium: melt in your hand and not in your mouth blow your head in half.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Kwyndig posted:

I've read some into what other chemistry of life may possibly look like, and it seems like H20 is just so good at being both an excellent medium for chemistry to take place in and also happens to be an excellent electron absorber and is so freaking abundant and itself an abundant source of Hydrogen, that I doubt we'll ever find aerobic life that isn't also mostly H20 based. While I don't think it's impossible we might find life that is composed of alternate chemistry, I strongly doubt we'll find anything more complex than 'simple' microbe life that isn't carbon based in the Solar System. It takes a lot of the suns energy to sustain life above the microscopic level, and an extraordinary set of chemical reactions to go with it. Earth gets positively basted with sunlight, which allows us to have such complex fauna and flora. Comparatively, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, though they have a liquid internal ocean, don't generate anything near the scale of the energy that the Earth receives through tidal heating, which would suggest that if they have life, it might not be very complex in terms of trophic levels.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

zedprime posted:

"Just cesium" is something that would only be uttered somewhere with a big fan base of exotic nitrogen compounds.

Related Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOFaWdPxB0

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

triggered

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda posted:

triggered

H₂O

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Cesium: melt in your hand and not in your mouth.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Cesium melts at just above room temperature.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder how many other schools have dried out picric acid just hanging around in the chem labs.

Just how explosive is it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s really common, but its danger is overstated.

In the bottom of a test tube? No big deal. Take an eyedropper and get it wet, then dispose of it as hazardous waste. There is no need to call the bomb squad.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A White Guy posted:

I've read some into what other chemistry of life may possibly look like, and it seems like H20 is just so good at being both an excellent medium for chemistry to take place in and also happens to be an excellent electron absorber and is so freaking abundant and itself an abundant source of Hydrogen, that I doubt we'll ever find aerobic life that isn't also mostly H20 based. While I don't think it's impossible we might find life that is composed of alternate chemistry, I strongly doubt we'll find anything more complex than 'simple' microbe life that isn't carbon based in the Solar System. It takes a lot of the suns energy to sustain life above the microscopic level, and an extraordinary set of chemical reactions to go with it. Earth gets positively basted with sunlight, which allows us to have such complex fauna and flora. Comparatively, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, though they have a liquid internal ocean, don't generate anything near the scale of the energy that the Earth receives through tidal heating, which would suggest that if they have life, it might not be very complex in terms of trophic levels.

Well hell, I wasn't expecting it to be multi-cellular. I'm not saying Jupiter's atmosphere looks like this

(the image above is from National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe, originally published in 1980, the 'what if' section has some truly... interesting... art)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Kwyndig posted:

(the image above is from National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe, originally published in 1980, the 'what if' section has some truly... interesting... art)
This was an incredibly cool book I had as a kid growing up and I was sorely disappointed that wasn't a real link to it

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Bhodi posted:

This was an incredibly cool book I had as a kid growing up and I was sorely disappointed that wasn't a real link to it

I remember reading about the floaters and the divers!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bhodi posted:

Unfortunately it's been out of print for decades and none of National Geographic's picture books from that era are in e-book format. Which is too bad since the basics of planetary astronomy are presented clearly in a way children can understand in it.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Kwyndig posted:

Well hell, I wasn't expecting it to be multi-cellular. I'm not saying Jupiter's atmosphere looks like this

I loved that book as a child. I think I have it in a box somewhere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNpO5vvhpk

Just drinking some cyanide. #YOLO #Paracelsus

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNpO5vvhpk

Just drinking some cyanide. #YOLO #Paracelsus
Should have had a bottle of poppers on deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?