Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Tgent posted:

What is "leading 52-48 after 50-50" supposed to mean?

Previous poll was a draw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm glad I got to live through the era of the postmodern meme.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 13, 2016

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/13/nsw-parliament-passes-motion-saying-donald-trump-is-a-revolting-slug

The Guardian posted:

Donald Trump is a “revolting slug” unfit for public office, according to the New South Wales parliament’s upper house.

On Thursday, Jeremy Buckingham, an upper house Greens MP, tabled a motion condemning “misogynistic, hateful” comments the US Republican presidential candidate has made against women and minorities, including his remarks revealed at the weekend describing sexual assault.

The motion also called out what is described as the divisive, destructive impact of hate speech from political candidates and agreed with those describing Trump as a “slug” unfit for office.

Buckingham’s motion was unanimously carried.

“It’s clear that all reasonable and decent people find Donald Trump’s behaviour obnoxious and that the world is hoping American voters reject his politics of hate,” Buckingham said.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Corporate-Funded Pauline Hanson, yikes

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Turtlenecked family values?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Censored coal mine. drat lawfare is turning are mines into mimes! :argh:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Queen Bronwyn Bishop.

Five minutes of scrubbing later and I feel no cleaner

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

aejix posted:

Queen Bronwyn Bishop.

Five minutes of scrubbing later and I feel no cleaner

Bishop to C4

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

wish they'd send your posts to nauru

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Apparently I'm need a Right Wing Sam Dastyari costume...
ooookay.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Shorten knows how to back a winner

quote:

A woman will replace former Labor veteran senator Stephen Conroy in Canberra, but the selection process has been engulfed by a factional brawl within the Victorian right of the party.

Eight women have put up their hands to take the Victorian senate seat vacated by Mr Conroy. No men have nominated.

The frontrunners are former Health Services Union (HSU) official Kimberley Kitching and company director Diana Taylor.

The ABC has been told Labor leader Bill Shorten is backing Ms Kitching but that has dismayed many in the Victorian right faction, who believe her links with the scandal-ridden HSU could damage the federal party.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Lid posted:

The ABC has been told Labor leader Bill Shorten is backing Ms Kitching but that has dismayed many in the Victorian right faction, who believe her links with the scandal-ridden HSU could damage the federal party.

Why is that an issue? The liberal led media will just find another reason to smear and attack the new senator. The ALP and Shorten shouldn't be afraid of being associated with unions or anything else that their enemies don't approve of.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Lid posted:

Bishop to C4
Stealing.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I got Left-Wing Malcolm Turnbull.

I'll let you make your own jokes.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
Knife-wielding Jacqui Lambie, which is bringing back horrible childhood memories of family reunions (I've made this same joke three times now and I will continue to and you can't stop me)

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Either Left-Wing or Gutless Sam Dastyari, neither of which are appealing.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Negatively-geared Sarah Hanson-Young. :ghost:

I've been following USPol recently. I heard the plebiscite got shot down?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mysticblade posted:

I've been following USPol recently. I heard the plebiscite got shot down?

Yep, happened on Tuesday! Labor and the Greens are pushing for a free vote, I think so far only Joyce, Christensen and Ian Goodenough have openly said anything against that since the plebiscite died.

Goodenough's argument against gay marriage was that it would destroy the terms 'mum and dad' and 'ladies and gentlemen'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 13, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My solution is simply to ban the institution of marriage and make everyone common law or nothing at all. Retroactively invalidate all marriage certificates.

Equality, yo.

After all they seem to be totally ok with the concept of divorce so really what's the issue? :dukedog:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Guess I need to put together my Rainbow Bob Katter costume.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Members of Victoria's Chinese community have been circulating thousands of flyers accusing the Safe Schools program of stealing their children's culture, in a Liberal-aligned campaign aimed at curtailing the anti-bullying program.

The incendiary flyer urges the Chinese community to "Stop UnSafe Schools", and accuses the program of promoting "homosexual ideas and practice" and "stealing our children from our own culture".

Chinese Liberal Party member, Dan Xie, said he was behind the 15,000 flyers, which have been handed out on streets, in public libraries and railway stations over the past two months.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You're watching the dying throes of modern Christianity in action.

It'll stay in Palliative Care for a long time yet of course. But we all know where it's going.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Tony Abbott has defended Donald Trump and taken a swipe at Hillary Clinton, saying the Republican nominee's positions are "reasonable enough" and his supporters are "not deplorables" but voters simply seeking change in America.

Mr Abbott's intervention in the United States election comes as Hillary Clinton's lead over Mr Trump widened to double-digits following the release of numerous historical tapes in which Mr Trump brags that he can get away with grabbing women by the pussy because he is a star.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

just what trump needed to turn his campaign around

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony Abbott, noted pedofile defender

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

adamantium|wang posted:

In the House tonight the government accidentally passed this second reading amendment:

https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/786103231294439425

Labor is doing an incredible job of trolling the Liberal party at every possible angle this time around.

And lol at Kelly O Dwyer having another stuff up post-"$6000 toaster"!

As most of you know, her Greens opponent in Higgins was Jason Ball - I recently interviewed his campaign manager (http://continuityandchange.libsyn.com/) and as I remember there was Goons involved in that campaign?

Something I've always wondered is whether the Greens would gain more ground if Labor was in power. As in, then disgruntled Lefties unhappy with asylyum seeker policy etc would switch over from Labor to Greens. Whereas, at 2016, the overall low Greens swing was a result of people just wanting the Libs to no longer be in power and so voting for Labor.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Something I've always wondered is whether the Greens would gain more ground if Labor was in power. As in, then disgruntled Lefties unhappy with asylyum seeker policy etc would switch over from Labor to Greens. Whereas, at 2016, the overall low Greens swing was a result of people just wanting the Libs to no longer be in power and so voting for Labor.

Maybe, but I think what we need right now is gaining seats for both Greens & Labor

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A grass named after Federal Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce has been recalled after it was found to pose serious health risks to livestock.

At the time of its release Barnaby Tall Fescue, or Barnaby Grass as it is more commonly known, was described as "persistent" and "bred in the New England".

The fescue was meant to be free of edophytes — a fungus that lives naturally in a plant and can be toxic to grazing livestock.

But Wayne Crofts, managing director of distributer Heritage Seeds, said that was not the case.

"In early winter one of our farmers who was growing our seed crop detected a case and once we investigated it, it was discovered that the crop contained endophyte in it," Mr Crofts said.

"Endophytes occur naturally in some grass seeds, so sometimes they can be very positive for the pasture and sometimes they can have a negative impact.
"There are fescues in Australia which have endophytes in them, and farmers do manage them accordingly to reduce the stocks risk or health risk."

Farmers urged to contact distributer

One hundred tonnes of stock has been sold mainly across New South Wales and Victoria, and some in Western and South Australia.

"Through the product recall we've had a small amount of product returned to us, so we suspect most of product was sown earlier in the year, in autumn," Mr Crofts said.

"Besides this one case that we've had with our seed grower crop, we haven't had any other cases reported to us."

Barnaby Joyce speaks to journalists
PHOTO: The grass, named after Barnaby Joyce, is described as "persistent" and "bred in New England". (ABC News: Matt Roberts)
Up to 250 farmers have sown the seed.

"There's different risks depending on the stock," Mr Crofts said.
He said it presented a risk to pregnancies in horses.

"We are recommending that those farmers spray those paddocks out and actually sow it with another variety," Mr Crofts said.

"When it comes to other livestock enterprises, like lamb or beef, we are suggesting people sow it out, because it does have the endophyte in it.

"What it means is those plants might persist for longer, which means they last longer, and over time they could become a more dominant part of the pasture."

Work has begun to remediate any paddocks already sown with the fescue.

"We encourage all affected farmers to contact us, so we can work together on remediation plans tailored to the individual circumstances of each affected property, " Mr Crofts said.

While clearly a serious matter, the Deputy PM himself has managed to find humour at his own expense.

"Obviously it causes problems with sheep's feet," he said.

"I think there is probably another grass up at Nimbin that's named after me.
"You've just got to deal with these things."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

surely he can't keep his job after that

Remember when the Australian led the campaign to get a cartoon pulled because it showed a jewish bloke enjoying palastinians getting bombed?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's time to play the music, It's time to light the lights, It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-14/george-brandis-justin-gleeson-to-front-senate-inquiry-showdown/7930702

quote:

George Brandis and solicitor-general Justin Gleeson face Senate inquiry over legal feud By political reporter Matthew Doran Updated about 9 hours ago

After weeks of their very public feud bubbling away and stealing much of the oxygen in the Senate, Attorney-General George Brandis QC and solicitor-general Justin Gleeson QC will both appear before a Senate inquiry today.

Act One — The Meeting

Senator Brandis and Mr Gleeson met back in November 2015, when the Attorney-General said he raised the issue of making a legal direction to restrict how the solicitor-general's office could be approached for legal advice. The Coalition frontbencher has provided notes taken by his staff at the meeting, which show it was discussed. He said there had been a lazy practice within the Government and the public service to approach the solicitor-general requesting legal advice directly, and that his office should act as something of a gatekeeper. Mr Gleeson had requested the meeting amid concerns that his work had been "hampered", accusing the Government of failing to properly consult him on a number of contentious issues such as same-sex marriage and anti-terror legislation.

Act Two — The Direction

Senator Brandis issued the direction in May this year, and that is when the trouble started.

Mr Gleeson said he was not adequately consulted on the final form of the direction, and that it curtailed his ability to give free and frank advice to those who needed it. Senator Brandis disagreed, and argued it was something of a formality for his office to take the requests first. He said of the requests he had received since the direction was issued, all had either been referred to the solicitor-general or were still being considered. The Attorney-General said he had a good professional relationship with the solicitor-general.

Act Three — The Fight

Labor forced a Senate inquiry into the matter, and it is the submissions to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee on the issue that are the most telling. Senator Brandis' submission makes it very clear he believes this is a one issue dispute — the consultation process. He included a letter from Mr Gleeson outlining his concerns, with his office redacting all other sections of that correspondence. When questioned, he said it was merely because that was the matter the inquiry was examining. The same letter was reproduced almost in full in Mr Gleeson's submission, which showed his arguments against Senator Brandis went much further into their professional relationship and the fact Senator Brandis went to others for advice. A former solicitor-general, Gavan Griffith described the new arrangement as like "a dog on a lead". Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus has seized on the dispute, and argued Senator Brandis misled Parliament when he claimed he consulted with Mr Gleeson.

Act Four — The Hearing

Now, the two silks will appear before the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee in Parliament House. It will be a rare moment for the public to hear from Mr Gleeson, outside of his appearances as the Commonwealth's counsel in court. And it will be another opportunity for Senator Brandis to prosecute his case that this is merely good administration.
Well if Brandis wanted this to be treated as merely an administrative detail and nothing to be concerned about : At that, at least, he has failed spectacularly. It was almost as good as Dutton claiming yesterday that the parliamentary stuff up the day before was merely an everyday trainwreck not a major trainwreck at all. (Source - :nms: http://www.2gb.com/audioplayer/210386 - Ray Hadley do not click :nms:)

Greyhound backflip? What about the science funding polka?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-14/macquarie-island-frydenberg-announces-50-mill-boost/7931602

quote:

Macquarie Island: Frydenberg announces $50m boost to research station AM Posted about an hour ago

A month on from the announcement of a major downgrading of its operations, Australia's sub-Antarctic research station is now the subject of a multi-million-dollar revamp. In September, the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) announced researchers would no longer work year-round on Macquarie Island and would instead do their work in huts during summer. The division has operated a year-round research station on the windswept island, 1,500 kilometres from Tasmania, since 1948. The announcement prompted an outcry from the scientific community, with fears expressed that without a constant presence the island would be subject to an influx of vermin and uncontrolled tourism.

Four days later, Federal Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg intervened and said he wanted to maintain the constant presence on the island. Today, Mr Frydenberg announced $50 million in Commonwealth funding for a "state of the art" operation. "We will build a state of the art base at Macquarie Island and it will be the best across the southern ocean," Mr Frydenberg told ABC's AM program. "It will have a permanent year-round presence, it will allow 15 researchers and 30 researchers in summer to work there." Mr Frydenberg said the "issue earlier in the month" was whether the Government would shift to using the base over summer and maintain a "temporary presence" over winter. "Now we'll have a permanent base throughout the year both through summer and winter," he said. He described it as "a good decision".

A 'most wretched place'

The island was discovered in 1810 and claimed for the British and once considered as the site for a penal colony, but ultimately ruled out because of its "remote and stormy region". It was a disputed territory with New Zealand but Australia won out and the island came under Tasmania's jurisdiction in 1825. Early visitors included renowned expeditioners Robert Scott and Ernest Shackleton. Sir Douglas Mawson established the first scientific station in 1911, but the main station facility was set up in 1948. The island, now lauded as a site of "major geoconservation significance", was not everyone's cup of tea. AAD notes a ship captain recording his opinion of the island in 1822 as "the most wretched place of involuntary and slavish exilium that can possibly be conceived; nothing could warrant any civilised creature living on such a spot".
:psyduck:

You put your left policy in, you take your left policy out you do the science funding polka and you shake it all about...

Now watch the government try and claim credit for the work of an independent statutory committee that it has been desperately trying to hamstring during every LNP administration.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-14/snowy-hydro-electric-scheme-added-to-national-heritage-list/7930174

quote:

Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme added to National Heritage List By Adrienne Francis Posted about 4 hours ago

The Snowy Mountains Scheme in far south-eastern New South Wales will be formally declared a National Heritage Place as part of a public event in Cooma today. The scheme will become the 107th place on the list, joining icons like the Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beach and the Great Barrier Reef. The listed area includes 15 major dams, nine power stations and a pumping station, covering a mountainous area of 4,600 square kilometres. Though listing will not restrict operations, with the scheme currently supplying more than 30 per cent of all renewable energy to the mainland electricity grid. Former worker Margret Dowd left Germany as a young teen, after her father was recruited to work on the scheme. "We are all so proud and when I heard that I was blown away," she said. "We came so far, and not just us, there were Norwegians, Swedish and Italians too. "We all came to Cooma and we are very, very proud that were were part of the scheme."

A melting pot in the mountains

An estimated 100,000 workers were employed during the 25 years of construction of the Snowy Mountains Hydro-Electric Scheme between 1949 and 1974. The majority were migrants from more than 30 nations, creating a cultural melting pot across the New South Wales Alps. "People that came from war-torn countries were able to identify with building this nation by being given productive work," 77-year-old retiree Wally Burton Mills, who still lives in Cooma, said. Mr Mills said he was recruited to work in the Cooma Snowy Hydro office as an electrical engineer in May 1959. "It was at the forefront of world development to apply such high voltage equipment to make it economical to transfer huge volumes of electrical energy over hundreds of kilometres," he said. Ms Dowd said she still remembers what the area was like when her family first arrived. "When I was 14 we came to Australia and went to Adaminaby and my experience there was like I was coming to a wild west town," she said. "The (horse) hitching rails were on the side of the road and we would walk on board walks." Ms Dowd later began working on the scheme in 1955 as an administrative assistant.

Snowy Hydro Upper Tumut area manager Kent Allen said it was easy to see why the scheme was built in the high country. "We see snow in most months of the year," he said. The scheme collects, stores and diverts water in the Snowy Mountains through 16 major dams, seven power stations (two of which are underground), and 225 kilometres of tunnels, pipelines and aqueducts. It also diverts thousands of mega litres of water west for irrigated agriculture worth more than $3 billion. "It is the largest hydro electric scheme in Australia, that is still the case," Mr Allen said. "They weren't just built as power stations, actually they are a thing of beauty."

Lower Snowy River badly neglected: conservationists

But conservationists said there was still unfinished business, describing progress to restore the degraded lower Snowy River with environmental flows as "woeful". "We can't overlook the terrible downstream impacts," Jonathan La Nauze, from the Australian Conservation Foundation, said. "The Snowy River these days is surviving on about 11 per cent of the water it used to have. Imagine if you had 90 per cent of your blood flow taken out. "That's what the poor Snowy has to survive on." But the Australian Conservation Foundation also said the project's important human and historical significance was in no doubt. "We are a mature nation and we can recognise the good things that have come from the Snowy Scheme without losing sight of the work we still have to do to address the negative impact it has had on the environment in downstream communities," Mr La Nauze said.
.i.. ..i. LNP. Renewables and multiculturalism all neatly encapsulated in one historic national heritage announcement. (If you are interested in the independance of our various commissions have a look at http://www.environment.gov.au/heritage/organisations/australian-heritage-council There are too many reasons to list why the statutory authority and commission system needs to be highly valued and protected from rapacious neocons.)

Where do I join the campaign to get cartoon pulled?

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

DancingShade posted:

You're watching the dying throes of modern Christianity in action.

It'll stay in Palliative Care for a long time yet of course. But we all know where it's going.

You seem p confident that we can wipe a religion out of our society. Can I introduce you to someone who might be able to help, pauline hanson lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Labor is doing an incredible job of trolling the Liberal party at every possible angle this time around.

And lol at Kelly O Dwyer having another stuff up post-"$6000 toaster"!

As most of you know, her Greens opponent in Higgins was Jason Ball - I recently interviewed his campaign manager (http://continuityandchange.libsyn.com/) and as I remember there was Goons involved in that campaign?

Oh, so that was your podcast! She was listening back to it before a phonebank on Tuesday. Sounded pretty good, and even just listening to a bit of it was good.

I'm sure some goons were on the Higgins campaign just by its size and momentum. I was with Melbourne Ports next door, don't know of any other goons in either campaign. There's still a teensy bit of animosity towards Higgins in the Ports team, though; they kept stealing volunteers in our electorate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

gay picnic defence posted:

surely he can't keep his job after that

He not only kept his job, but got to publish an editorial about how everyone else was wrong and dumb about him being racist last time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tim Blair published an article mocking the concept of leave for domestic violence recently too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Spewing I didnt catch the scum who dumped this in my letterbox to give it back to them with an absolute mouthful of abuse to help it down their throat.

Cos the Plebicite was never going to incite hatred against the gay community, was it. We've already had our town plastered with stickers saying "Its Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve"

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/786726224588439553

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ferremit posted:

We've already had our town plastered with stickers saying "Its Adam and Eve, Not Adam and Steve"

What about their kids though? How did they have offspring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

You're possibly thinking of me. :)

• Locked thread