Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Gotcha. Specifically I wanted to start replacing bits of my HR Bujabujabu set with Rathalos parts but going at him with aerial longsword took 30 minutes. Managed to break both wings, face and tail cut but between his constant raging and flying multiple zones away it took way too long.

I highly recommend trying aerial insect glaive if you haven't yet, preferably with Swarm and a balanced bug. Incredible versatility with your airtime and the constant DPS you can keep up really do wonders against Rathalos; it's my preferred way to fight him now, considering how much he likes to stay airborne. Plus you might get the occasional bonus of him freaking out mid-attack when he tries to hit you with Swarm active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I've been playing aerial CB, trying to master evade dodges on it for, but it's really hard since you need to time the dodge so differently. I've been wondering if I should switch to adept.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If I went Adept Charge Blade will it work for Guard Points or do they want me to keep dodging stuff?

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 5, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Adept Guard works on a different layer than guard points. Basically guard point mid-combo, adept guard from neutral, adept evade when sheathed/ in axe mode

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

And Tyler Too! posted:

If I went Adept Charge Blade will it work for Guard Points or do they want me to keep dodging stuff?

adept charge blade actually gives you an extra or longer guard point (never used it before so I have no idea what's actually different) with the 3 hit charge combo. I do love the new sprite when guard points are active. makes it easier to time them out better.

I tried charge blade in 4u and wasn't fan. Now I'm in LOVE with it and its a blast, haha. I usually run it with the energy blade to help with breaking parts.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I have a lot of thoughts about Adept Charge Blade.

Its probably the best way to pick up and learn Charge Blade. You essentially get 3 guard points from neutral sword mode: the regular X+A draw, the Adept-added A draw attack and the R Adept guard. Add in the normal shield thrust and the flexible attack chain you normally get on CB becomes very difficult for the monster to interrupt.

Any amount of phial gets you into red shield, there are 3 flexible guard points in the neutral sword game and Adept Guard is insanely flexible.

The Adept Guard proccing is probably the closest we have to 4U's AED on Guard Point beause you can do more moves on an adept guard: X to recharge, A to re-draw for phials, R+A to feed phials and X+A to do the normal X+A draw. Its insanely flexible and makes the neutral sword game easier to draw into Red Shield and keep red shield up.

The Adept evade enables more aggressive axe play and rewards strange positioning because the ability to get out in an adept evade.

That said, its a mix of both worlds with neither of the great benefits. The Adept guard doesn't lead to great counter damage like the Adept Lance can and only leads into greater flexibility. The Adept evade doesn't compensate for overly aggressive play and the dodge can only really be used on X axe mode slams or single A sweeps without running into animation delays from the A double sweep or even X Strings. If you spend too much time in sword mode getting the adept guards, you lose the damage from axe mode as you may overdraw on your A and bounce or waste phials by storing it back into a red shield. If you spend too much time in axe mode, you lose the great defensive flexibility to only gain a mediocre defensive dodge.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well, thanks for the advice. I did find a Rathalos farm earlier and capped him 5 times for parts. I now have a full HR Rathalos set with Attack Up M, Weakness Exploit and Critical Eye+1. The old set had Attack Up L and Critical Eye+1, but maybe Weakness Exploit makes up for the small damage loss. Extra defense really helps too.

Any particular reason to go for balanced bugs? I get the difference between hit damage, speed and part breaking at least.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, thanks for the advice. I did find a Rathalos farm earlier and capped him 5 times for parts. I now have a full HR Rathalos set with Attack Up M, Weakness Exploit and Critical Eye+1. The old set had Attack Up L and Critical Eye+1, but maybe Weakness Exploit makes up for the small damage loss. Extra defense really helps too.

Any particular reason to go for balanced bugs? I get the difference between hit damage, speed and part breaking at least.

A balanced bug gets you effect extender which doubles the buff duration of essences. IMO it's the way to go if you're not going for a crit build.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The balance bug in Gen only adds 1.5* to the time, not double.

I really find it not worth it compared to having a speedy bug, since the added time doesn't feel as convenient.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Why does the armor I want require so many bugs :negative:

I'm making the Ceanataur S armor to kinda hold me over until I'm wearing Dreadking, so I spent like an excruciating hour last night just doing laps around Volcano and D. Island for my 10 King Scarabs and 8 Rare Scarabs. I still have to fight the actual monster like 3-12 times to get all the carapaces I need.

We need a smilie for like :suicide:, but with the Desire Sensor.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is Zamtrios the best Guard armor I can get before Rank 7?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is Zamtrios the best Guard armor I can get before Rank 7?

Not at all.

If you get the Advanced 6* village Garuga quest you can make the Guardian sets, which should net you near Guard+2, and either speed sharpener or artillery. poo poo out of luck if you're female.

Agnaktor is sort of the counterpart to Zamtrios. Gaurd+1, but Hotblooded instead of Coldblooded. Sort of inverted resists too, I think? If you're going to make one, you probably want to grab the other.

Hermitaur is always good. +14 Guard out of the box. The legs even have 3 slots. -10 constitution, but easy enough to gem. Might consider swapping the helmet for Zam. That will get you +1 slot to activate Guard+2, and wipe the -Constitution. Or just drink dash juice.

You could try Battle Armor. Guard+1, slots enough to activated Guard+2, or else activate something else.

Anything else starts at roughly half def, and anything more I believe will require more than HR6. Those are fine sets, however. You can carry them all the way through end game.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 8, 2016

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I went to hunt a Bulldrome and came face to face with Lagiasoap. Bring it the gently caress on.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Warning, all of those surprise monsters have like double or more health compared to their normal versions. So props to you if you beat it but don't feel like you have to.

Kiggles posted:

Not at all.

-Guard Chat-

Anything else starts at roughly half def, and anything more I believe will require more than HR6. Those are fine sets, however. You can carry them all the way through end game.

Thanks so much!! I will definitely make that Guardian armor, I had no idea that was a thing. I totally forgot about Agnaktor though, he was my man back in 3U and I wore his armor forever so I may make him and Zamtrios as a pair just for the funvenience.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Only Plesioth can make me feel fear.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
I love my cats sometimes.

Doing the double Shogun Ceanataur hunt in Village 6. Had the first one limp off to the cave, I followed, remembered that caves in the Marsh are cold, and fled back outside to pop a Hot Drink. The Ceanataur is right on my tail taking bits out of my hide and comboing me as I try to superman dive out of the area. I finally manage to escape, and as soon as the loading screen pops up I get the 'One Monster Left!" message. My cats took down a giant crab to save my life. :3:

Good kitties. Gourmet sushifish for you tonight!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

:siren: Monster Hunter Generations is on sale, $25.99 on the e-shop! :siren:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

And Tyler Too! posted:

Join us :unsmigghh:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Made it to 6star village quests without trying anything other than Guild Hammer and started to hit a slump. Then I tried Adept Hammer. Now everything is beautiful, forever.

Also protip for aspiring Prowlers, Shock Tripper is an excellent move. Shoot that at a monster in a trap with 3 other hunters wailing on it and it won't have any parts left to break in ~5 seconds or so.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 11, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

How important is sharpness vs raw? For example, I have the Spiked Javelin (240) and the Seditious Lance (170). Are there any particularly tough monsters for which bouncing is too problematic and will slow me down enough that the White makes up the difference? Does Minds Eye fix that? Or is the multiplier on white good enough on its own to make up the power gap and make them about equal?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

How important is sharpness vs raw? For example, I have the Spiked Javelin (240) and the Seditious Lance (170). Are there any particularly tough monsters for which bouncing is too problematic and will slow me down enough that the White makes up the difference? Does Minds Eye fix that? Or is the multiplier on white good enough on its own to make up the power gap and make them about equal?

Each level of sharpness applies a multiplier to your damage.

Red: 0.50
Orange: 0.75
Yellow: 1.00
Green: 1.05
Blue: 1.20
White: 1.32

Basically, starting after green, it's a 10% increase every level of sharpness. So, if your blue sharpness weapon's raw is 10% higher than your white sharpness weapon's raw, it pretty much evens out on that front. There are some things that blue will bounce off of, but there are also things what white will bounce off of, too. Just like.. fewer of them. Usually if a blue or white weapon is bouncing, it's because of some gimmick, like Agnaktor's lava armor or Kirin's DBZ aura.

All Mind's Eye does is prevent the bounce from interrupting your combo- it will still deal double sharpness damage to your weapon as though it bounced.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

And Tyler Too! posted:

motherfucker i just bought this like 2 days before the sale for full price.

Any tips for a big lovely newbie to stop getting wrecked by the village 2* Cephadrome? i've gotten pretty close to killing it a few times but the fight goes on so long i inevitably make some stupid mistake and get wrecked or run out of resources. Mostly been using the CB so far but i'm not particularly married to it if another weapon is way more suited.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Like most biped monsters he does that little half turn twice to face you after he does a move, so learn that timing and bop him on his big flat nose with a high reaching weapon like a long sword or a switch axe.

Also aerial switch axe gives the reach you want and is easy to get mounts with. Just bop him, hop and use the jumping r button switch move to go into sword mode and keep hopping/swinging as appropriate. I also find that hiding behind his ankles will let you avoid his tail swipe too.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Aerial Insect Glaive :D Decent reach, most mobile in terms of jumping in, smacking things, then vaulting out before the monster can turn around and smack you around. I regularly land three or four mounts on most monsters- vaulting lets you just fly by and do damage while getting out of range of claws and tails and things. It also gets you up high enough to hit Cephadrome's head and tail unless it's an unusually large one.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Do the monsters actually change in size or stats or something? I noticed the crowns for sizes and whatnot but I never actually noticed if they varied between fights.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Do the monsters actually change in size or stats or something? I noticed the crowns for sizes and whatnot but I never actually noticed if they varied between fights.

They in fact do, but it's hard to tell unless you've have another monster of the same species to compare to.

Also, I believe larger monsters have slightly increased health.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Any tips for a big lovely newbie to stop getting wrecked by the village 2* Cephadrome? i've gotten pretty close to killing it a few times but the fight goes on so long i inevitably make some stupid mistake and get wrecked or run out of resources. Mostly been using the CB so far but i'm not particularly married to it if another weapon is way more suited.

Have you tried sonic bombs? when he's under you can pop one and he'll bounce back out vulnerable for some time. I assume just like snibelnarf (or whatever the sand guppie is called) if you lay a bomb down you can probably get it to run into it. other than that I try to stay behind his legs or mount him if I'm aerial anything.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

cancerianmoth posted:

Have you tried sonic bombs? when he's under you can pop one and he'll bounce back out vulnerable for some time. I assume just like snibelnarf (or whatever the sand guppie is called) if you lay a bomb down you can probably get it to run into it. other than that I try to stay behind his legs or mount him if I'm aerial anything.

More info about proper sonic bomb usage. I learned some things when I saw this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjdGL-yc4Ek

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

How are we this many games into the series and people are still trying to combo with greatswords, swinging them all over the place and tripping everbody?

I haven't met a single GS user yet online who's even tried to go for a charge, even when the monster's asleep :negative:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
so aerial is the way to go then, i have a decent IG hanging out in my box so i'll see how that goes. i have used sonic bombs and they're pretty handy but the mission doesn't supply you with many and i'm not sure of the combine chain to make my own. thanks thread

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am starting to really hate adept style.

"Great job dodging that attack, now you get to run in a straight line and you can't change your direction! Of course Gypceros will hold still long enough for you to land that near instant lvl 3 Charge!" "No, Khezu isn't going to keep using his electric nova, promise! That spirit gauge will be filled in no time!" :negative:

Edit: And gently caress Malfestio. Let's fly to area 3, now 5, now 4, now 8, now 9, now 4 again! I'm limping and almost near death, time to go on another tour of the ENTIRE GODDAMN ZONE AGAIN! :bang:

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 13, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

And Tyler Too! posted:

"Great job dodging that attack, now you get to run in a straight line and you can't change your direction! Of course Gypceros will hold still long enough for you to land that near instant lvl 3 Charge!" "No, Khezu isn't going to keep using his electric nova, promise! That spirit gauge will be filled in no time!" :negative:

Edit: And gently caress Malfestio. Let's fly to area 3, now 5, now 4, now 8, now 9, now 4 again! I'm limping and almost near death, time to go on another tour of the ENTIRE GODDAMN ZONE AGAIN! :bang:

This but with Rathalos. :argh:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

this but kushula daora. I dunno if it's the AI just wiggin out or certain monsters are meant to behave like this.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

And Tyler Too! posted:

Friend, have you heard the good news of our lord and savior Dual Blades?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

And Tyler Too! posted:

Adept is a style that people seem to think is "free evades kill everything all the time" but you need to be aware of your moves even more after that evade. Adept Great Sword is great against things that are really big or less mobile; you're going to have a hard time against Nargacuga or Gypceros unless you're really good at keeping your motions tight and taking advantage of your openings. Adept LS is a lot more flexible because you can do the initial slash to cancel the run and immediately after go into another adept evade, but if you overcommit into the spirit slash at the wrong time you're still hosed.

Like BMan suggested, try some more forgiving adept weapons. Dual Blades are amazing because the adept dodge itself in demon/archdemon mode is the attack, not the followup. Charge Blade lets you do either the block for a much faster red shield or stronger double-slash or the evade for a single strong hit, depending on what state you're in, but doesn't lock moves behind the adept state like GS or LS. Those will help you get a better feel for adept evade timing while not locking you completely out of mechanics like the spirit gauge or level 3 charges.

Whatever you do, though, never even glance at adept Insect Glaive. That's straight garbage.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Squidtentacle posted:

Adept is a style that people seem to think is "free evades kill everything all the time" but you need to be aware of your moves even more after that evade. Adept Great Sword is great against things that are really big or less mobile; you're going to have a hard time against Nargacuga or Gypceros unless you're really good at keeping your motions tight and taking advantage of your openings. Adept LS is a lot more flexible because you can do the initial slash to cancel the run and immediately after go into another adept evade, but if you overcommit into the spirit slash at the wrong time you're still hosed.

Like BMan suggested, try some more forgiving adept weapons. Dual Blades are amazing because the adept dodge itself in demon/archdemon mode is the attack, not the followup. Charge Blade lets you do either the block for a much faster red shield or stronger double-slash or the evade for a single strong hit, depending on what state you're in, but doesn't lock moves behind the adept state like GS or LS. Those will help you get a better feel for adept evade timing while not locking you completely out of mechanics like the spirit gauge or level 3 charges.

Whatever you do, though, never even glance at adept Insect Glaive. That's straight garbage.

I started using Aerial GS instead. It's spammy as hell but I can fire off level 3 charges with impunity. I'll look into adept Dual Blades for sure.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

As someone who went adept duals and never looked back, it's a pretty fun way to play.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

And Tyler Too! posted:

I started using Aerial GS instead. It's spammy as hell but I can fire off level 3 charges with impunity. I'll look into adept Dual Blades for sure.

I feel like aerial gs is really simple but I find it far too much fun to stop. Just Hyper-aggressive slam-dunking 24/7.

It's a nice change of pace from normal greatsword skills to go evade distance up and plus evasion skills to stay literally on top of the Monster at all times, and have much faster mobility to boot.

Aerial hammer is the one true king of dunking though, and aerial insect glaive is a spinning top of doom. I keep meaning to branch out of my comfort zone into LS or GL or DS but all the new styles on all my old favourites are just too fun. Adept bowgun is a pretty easy way to pick it up though, and now I got demon's Isle I'm considering retouching aerial lbg now that I have a more general use and easy to renew rapid fire ammo. Is pellet any good on aerial lbg? Rathian lbg looks fun.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Aerial HBG is pretty fun. I experimented with it a bit in the demo, but I eventually ended up gravitating back to Adept Longsword for the long haul. If you load your siege ammo, your aerial shot becomes a rapid-fire barrage :black101:
It's great for getting those status bullets into the monster without making yourself immobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I didn't realize it until I went broke and started searching my inventory for stuff to sell to fund an upgrade, but that last item pack gave us like $1,000,000 worth of Gold Eggs :psyduck:

• Locked thread