Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

Passed away at 101 three months ago.. which makes it more devastating to the family.

Sorry for both your losses, similar thing happened to my friend's mom's house on the Jersey shore during Superstorm Sandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry demon, I know how lovely that can be :(

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I hope the insurance was good and up to date. It won't bring back the memories for your family, but hopefully help deal with the aftermath of the storm.

Glad you all are safe.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We're headed there tomorrow

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How nuts is thanksgiving week? My wife and her cousin are trying to plan a thanksgiving 2018 WDW trip and I think they're crazy. Texas spring break week this year was busy but not miserable for reference. We worked around the crowds and still had a good time.

I think it's a terrible idea, but they'll probably win. Best part of proposed trip is plane tickets are stupid expensive so they want to drive from Baton Rouge to WDW in a 12 passenger van :smithicide:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

How nuts is thanksgiving week? My wife and her cousin are trying to plan a thanksgiving 2018 WDW trip and I think they're crazy. Texas spring break week this year was busy but not miserable for reference. We worked around the crowds and still had a good time.

I think it's a terrible idea, but they'll probably win. Best part of proposed trip is plane tickets are stupid expensive so they want to drive from Baton Rouge to WDW in a 12 passenger van :smithicide:

We do that trip from 40 miles west of Baton Rouge to Orlando with three kids and two adults in a minivan. Honestly, it's not that bad. Last time, we left at 3 in the morning, had a nice breakfast and lunch (and all the usual pee breaks), and pulled in to Orlando around 6 EST, I think. Our kids might be used to long van trips, but Orlando is an easy drive from BR.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Are the Hollywood Studios Star Wars fireworks going away at the end of October? That seems to be what I see online but I wanted to make sure.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

It'll be crowded for sure. It wouldn't be my preferred time to go, but it'd be doable with good planning.

And like Silly Burrito said, driving from Baton Rouge isn't that bad. It's certainly not as convenient as flying but it's not the worst thing in the world.

BlueBayou posted:

Are the Hollywood Studios Star Wars fireworks going away at the end of October? That seems to be what I see online but I wanted to make sure.

Everything I can find says that they do end in October.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 9, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Well, St. Augustine has not fared well. Even on a three foot elevated foundation we have 3 inches of water above the ground floor. The ground floor will have to be gutted to the studs. This is a 1910 bungalow in the historic district and the damage is extensive. The A/C unit was completely submerged and done for and it looks like the foundation will need help soon, the salt water is not playing well with the brick and mortar and it's already de-stabilized. They have to get it shored up ASAP or the house will be coming down..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2016

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm really sorry. That sounds horrible.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Is it still worth it to fast pass Toy Story? Or does the new track alleviate lines enough that its worth it to pick RnR instead?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Silly Burrito posted:

We do that trip from 40 miles west of Baton Rouge to Orlando with three kids and two adults in a minivan. Honestly, it's not that bad. Last time, we left at 3 in the morning, had a nice breakfast and lunch (and all the usual pee breaks), and pulled in to Orlando around 6 EST, I think. Our kids might be used to long van trips, but Orlando is an easy drive from BR.

Yeah, the kids are good road trippers, but we'd be meeting family in BR after an 7-9 hour drive from San Antonio the day before, so 2 days and 20+ hours in a car will wear on anyone. 4 adults and 4 kids in a 12 passenger rental van doesn't get me excited, but hey making family memories right?

Semi-Comedy option: Megabus from NOLA to Orlando, 40 bucks a person, and someone else does the driving.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

BlueBayou posted:

Is it still worth it to fast pass Toy Story? Or does the new track alleviate lines enough that its worth it to pick RnR instead?

RnR has a single rider line if that works for you. I think it slightly favors RnR for the fastpass selection, last I saw.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

BlueBayou posted:

Josh over at Easywdw prefers RnR these days. The logic is explained behind the link, but it basically boils down to "third track, lovely queue for RnR, and single rider at RnR." I think TSM is worth the FP if you know you only want to ride it once (or, to flip it, if you know you want to ride the thrill rides multiple times). Then you can safely spend your morning on Sunset Boulevard bouncing between RnR and Tower of Terror before cashing in the FP at Toy Story when the queues get obnoxious.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 10, 2016

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Is there no way to sort pictures on photopass website, or I'm I just not seeing it. Went to download my MNSSHP pics and realized I have 1K+ photos, most of which I had bulked downloaded from my last trip and only want the most recent ones without having to scroll several times to the bottom as it loads.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's been awhile since I checked but I'm pretty sure you can download by date?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Nope! One at a time, or all at once. Generally, the parts end up mostly chronological (they're sorted by unique photo id, which is *mostly* assigned sequentially in order uploaded) so you can usually grab the last few parts and call it a day.

Disneyland's web site does let you choose which photos to download.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

Is there no way to sort pictures on photopass website, or I'm I just not seeing it. Went to download my MNSSHP pics and realized I have 1K+ photos, most of which I had bulked downloaded from my last trip and only want the most recent ones without having to scroll several times to the bottom as it loads.

From this page, I have buttons on the right saying something to the effect of "Download All" or "Download photos." Give the system a couple hours to process, then go to the download page, where there should be a series of big rear end zip files for you to grab, as well as the all important rights release.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I'm sorry to hear about your loss Demon. Sending prayers your way.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What times do fastpass reservations open? Want to gun for a Frozen one.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

What times do fastpass reservations open? Want to gun for a Frozen one.

7am eastern

its the worst

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ugh yeah that sucks. luckily i've never really had trouble getting fastpasses for 2 people so hopefully i'll luck out waiting a hour :qq:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I wrote a primer about FastPass+. It's lengthy but I feel like FP selections were the single most important part of my trip aside from, you know, getting there and getting tickets.

quote:

Fastpass+ (frequently just referred to as FP) is the "virtual queue" system in use at Walt Disney World. Booking these is extremely important. Smart use of the system can literally save hours in queues guaranteed to result in your family murdering each other before you get to the front. Scattershot usage will have you walking past an empty standby line or, worse yet, wasting precious time dashing around a park to hit your timing windows.

If you are staying on resort, you can start booking FP 60 days out, plus the length of your trip. If you're off property, you can book 30 days out, but have to do so day-by-day. FP windows open 7 AM eastern time. You can book 3 FP at this time, each with an hour long window that cannot overlap with another FP. Your Passes will be loaded into your Disney Account, and at the parks, you'll tap your keycard/Magic Band at the front of the FP+ queue to verify your reservation. FP times are slightly more flexible than they're presented; they'll go live 5 minutes before the booked time and stay live 15 minutes afterwards. The highest demand attractions at Epcot and Hollywood Studios are locked into a higher tier, and you'll only be able to book one "tier 1" attraction per day.

When booking FP, consider the sorts of attractions you want to see, the sorts of queues you'll be standing in, and the general shape of your day. (i.e. If you plan on spending the morning on the west side of the Magic Kingdom seeing Frontierland and Adventureland, remember that it'll be a long walk over to Space Mountain. Also if you're planning to hit something right at opening, you probably won't have to worry about a FP)

So, what do we recommend for selections? Magic Kingdom has almost too many FP attractions to say which ones are best, but 7 Dwarves Mine Train routinely pulls the highest wait times and is a target for many at opening, making it always a solid choice. Peter Pan's Flight, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain (when its hot), Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, and favorite meet and greets will usually all be good selections. Over at Epcot, Frozen is a no brainer, with a boring queue and an awful rope drop experience. Hollywood Studios, you're looking at Rock n' Roller Coaster or Toy Story Mania for your tier 1 selections. Finally, at AK, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids (when its hot), and Expedition Everest are good choices. If you have specific questions about planning this stuff...well, that's what the thread is for! Feel free to ask.

One last thing - when booking FP, there is considerable benefit to front loading your day. Once you've used your initial allotment, you can log into the MDE app (or visit a kiosk in a park) to book additional fastpasses anywhere in property. While many attractions run out of FP allotments for the day, it isn't out of the question to get certain attractions. And really, anything beyond the initial 3 is gravy.

Feel free to link to it from the OP, or integrate it, or yell at me for something obvious I missed.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 14, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah form my experience last year the best fastpass tips are:

get fast passes for the middle of the day
don't put yourself on two sides of the park within 10 minutes of each other
dont fast pass splash mountain because the queue is great and it's also a better ride at night when it rarely goes above 5 minutes in wait time

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Always always always FP Peter Pan unless you have three hours to kill.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

I took my girlfriend to Disney for the first time, for her 30th birthday, nearly 3 years ago. I had a big grin on my face a couple of weeks back when she suggested we go back next year.

I had en even bigger grin on my face yesterday when we booked POFQ for 10 nights :D We're going in October so a literal years wait will be hell :cry:

Last time we went Disney Springs was in the middle of an upgrade and was mostly a building site, so it will be good seeing that finished. Also it looks like Pandora will be open in Animal Kingdom so that's more to see!

I know Hollywood Studios is getting major work done but are there any other notable absentees or newcomers around for October next year?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My wife and three of her coworkers stayed at Coronado Springs this weekend working a charity event for our company and they booked a room there since it was on property and I have to say it was nicer than I expected.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How early from my trip should I receive the yellow tags for MDE? It wasn't a part of my original reservation but I called to add it back in early August. Just not sure if it arrives closer to the trip like the Magic Bands, or if I should have gotten it and need to call

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm in line right now for Trader Sam's, it's easily the most chill line ever. It goes around the terrace and people are just pulling up chairs and sitting down.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It had better be a chill line it's not a ride at a theme park. :/

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

demonR6 posted:

My wife and three of her coworkers stayed at Coronado Springs ... and I have to say it was nicer than I expected.

I stayed there last time and absolutely loved it, I could not fault it. I was really torn about not staying there next time but I have heard so many great things about POFQ here, and other places.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We found some super cheap airfare (207 bucks) from Austin to LAX over MLK weekend next year, so we booked a 5 day/4 night trip to DisneyLand and are going to surprise the kids on Christmas with the news. We only bought 3 days worth of park tickets, figure we'll find something to do on the travel days and everyone says 3 days is plenty of time for the 2 parks. I really just want my Cars/Lightning McQueen crazy 4 year old son to see Cars Land while it will still be 'magical' for him. My wife will get her Disney fix for a while as well, as we're not going back to WDW until Nov 2018.

This wasn't really a planned trip, more of a spur of the moment thing when we saw the cheap airfare, so we're staying off property across the street at the Fairfield. On property would have been 1K more and just wasn't in the budget, and I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

We booked through Costco, they had an offer for free Photopass and 50 dollar gift card, but it looks like everything routed through Disney's travel system anyway. Not thrilled with the process as we don't get to pick our airplane seats, can't see our upcoming trip on the Disney website, and basically fly blind until we get a document delivery in late December. Probably would have been better to book things separately but cest la vie

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

demonR6 posted:

It had better be a chill line it's not a ride at a theme park. :/

I was worried that because it involved something with a limited run it would be awful (I've been to Comic-Con, I've seen the worst of humanity in that respect.). Nah, they gave us a bracelet at like 3:15 and we chilled out in the lobby until we got called, and I enjoyed my Fogcutter that I just finished the last of!

I'm finishing my Disney World tiki collection today, with that and a Hippopota-Mai-Tai. Trader Sam's is dope.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
managed to get frozen fast passes score

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I was worried that because it involved something with a limited run it would be awful (I've been to Comic-Con, I've seen the worst of humanity in that respect.). Nah, they gave us a bracelet at like 3:15 and we chilled out in the lobby until we got called, and I enjoyed my Fogcutter that I just finished the last of!

I'm finishing my Disney World tiki collection today, with that and a Hippopota-Mai-Tai. Trader Sam's is dope.

It really is. I'll be upset I can't get one of the mugs when we get there at the end of the month, but I'll be totally happy to be getting blitzed there Halloween night

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Sad to see my Dinosaur FP has been changed for next month, I was looking forward to that again. And thank you WDW, for thinking the hell that is Primeval Whirl was a good sub (changed to meet Mickey instead). 23 days!

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Boxman posted:

I wrote a primer about FastPass+. It's lengthy but I feel like FP selections were the single most important part of my trip aside from, you know, getting there and getting tickets.

Feel free to link to it from the OP, or integrate it, or yell at me for something obvious I missed.

That looks good! I would just say that Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is still the top priority for Magic Kingdom.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Anya posted:

Sad to see my Dinosaur FP has been changed for next month, I was looking forward to that again. And thank you WDW, for thinking the hell that is Primeval Whirl was a good sub (changed to meet Mickey instead). 23 days!

They didn't even change mine- I read about the renovation and changed to Mickey as well. Otherwise I would have had a wasted FP.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
primeval whirl is a good ride but gently caress the seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
The seats didn't bother me but the violent stop start movement? Almost hurled.