Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Am I going loco, or did they add a very slight delay to Mercy's ult? I swear it's not coming out as fast as I'm used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Edmond Dantes posted:

Am I going loco, or did they add a very slight delay to Mercy's ult? I swear it's not coming out as fast as I'm used to.

it should be a 2 second channel

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think people take the winning team saying gg first as a sign of disrespect or something

which is dumb i think. if its post score screen then its not bm at all. Makes way more sense for it to be bm if its done before the game is actually over, eg in starcraft.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fusion Restaurant posted:

which is dumb i think. if its post score screen then its not bm at all. Makes way more sense for it to be bm if its done before the game is actually over, eg in starcraft.

I agree it's dumb but some people have this weird hangup that the winner calling it is like offering a post-game handshake as an assertion of dominance. It's putting out there like "I am the victor. Recognize and acknowledge this."

Obviously that's not what it loving means but that's how a lot of people think about it. I only offer handshakes when I beat nerds at things now if I know they're not gonna read it as loving Vercingetorix kissing the Aquila.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hit max dva tonight. at the starting area of Route 66, hear McCree start high noon. Boost up into him as he's popping out of the train car to knock him back in, making him only hit me with ult. Pop out of mech, solo him.

I will never have a dva play that good again

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Can confirm the new Headless Reaper skin grants supernatural powers. Unboxed it about an hour ago and had nothing but Reaper wins since. Got my first quintuple kill last game off the Eichenwald bridge before first point.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have the opposite problem. It seems to be a magnet for Enemy McCrees. Like, having a color in the bright orange "Don't shoot me" color actually makes you remarkably easy to shoot if that's your goal.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I mean, every enemy character is a big red target and has a really distinct silhouette. And also if they see you coming as Reaper, you already hosed up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
dont give a f*ck if its a repost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUcIk3aWtA4

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

My spooky Reinhardt skin seems to scare otherwise competent teammates away from hiding behind my shield.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sade posted:

I mean, every enemy character is a big red target and has a really distinct silhouette. And also if they see you coming as Reaper, you already hosed up.

Yeah, people care an awful lot about skins for a game that basically applies a brightskin filter to every model.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i keep losing on hard in the brawl because i am the only one who saves ult for the bosses :(

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Took me way too many tries to finally beat hard brawl. I like my friends, but once again it was way easier with random strangers. I dropped 300 points again in comp grouping with them yesterday. It's a recurring pattern. I solo queue and move up 300 points, then group with them and move down 300. Rinse and repeat. I'm really trying to teach one guy that I think is getting better. The rest of them play stuff like bastion and symmetra and there's no way to convince them to stop without being an rear end.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

this one is my favourite

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
About half the people i play with are shithouse so I just take my comps when I can get em and QP or rage and bail when I can't

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Not a repost, but someone did the same thing and neither haved used the correct skin.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pyzza Rouge posted:

Not a repost, but someone did the same thing and neither haved used the correct skin.

What is a "haved"? And what is the correct skin?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Probably Blackwatch Reyes because he has giant puppy eyes but angry eyebrows, plus regular dude busting out of a coffin = wut

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Mei's new highlight intro is the best. :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Mei's new highlight intro is the best. :3:

I got it in my first Halloween box but it'll practically be next Halloween before I get potg with Mei :/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Panfilo posted:

I got it in my first Halloween box but it'll practically be next Halloween before I get potg with Mei :/

Pick her on Hanamura or Numbani defense, get a good ult, and icicle some folks in the head. It's not that hard, especially once you get a hang of the delay on the icicle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pick her on Hanamura or Numbani defense, get a good ult, and icicle some folks in the head. It's not that hard, especially once you get a hang of the delay on the icicle.

Yeah I've seen other people do a variation of that. It's just when I'm setting it up I either get killed by someone outside the ult radius or a Reaper, Riptire, or missile barrage steal my thunder.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Dumb question: What are good maps to play Tracer on? I mainly play Zenyatta but am trying to branch out, and it feels like Tracer's main strength is KOTH maps. I don't have a good feel for where she can flank on attack/defend maps.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ullerrm posted:

Dumb question: What are good maps to play Tracer on? I mainly play Zenyatta but am trying to branch out, and it feels like Tracer's main strength is KOTH maps. I don't have a good feel for where she can flank on attack/defend maps.

KOTH, and payload defense maps that force close engagements. For a lot of them this means not playing her on the first point, but swapping to her later on.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man I hate the rank restrictions for parties in competitive, I really don't see the point of it beyond preventing friends from playing together

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

Man I hate the rank restrictions for parties in competitive, I really don't see the point of it beyond preventing friends from playing together

Do you want to play against a Top 500 player and his Bronze teammate?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Brannock posted:

If it results in a 50/50 winrate, I see no fair reason I shouldn't.

If it doesn't, it'll self-correct. If it doesn't self-correct, the system has bigger problems.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Brannock posted:

...yes?

Becomes a Protect/Kill the VIP game then.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If it results in a 50/50 winrate, I see no fair reason I shouldn't.

If it doesn't, it'll self-correct. If it doesn't self-correct, the system has bigger problems.

I think the issue is that the "self-correcting" will take way too many games for it to be acceptable, under the current system. And once it self-corrects, if the Bronze player ever plays with not-his-#500-friend then he'll be a massive, massive liability on the games he's matchmade into.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Foreclosing player choice is much worse than one more confounding factor in a matchmaking system already full of them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

drrockso20 posted:

This is my favorite part about competitive. It's gotten me off the hook for declining groups with sub 2000 people I didn't want to play with.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I only play comp in groups of 4+

e: too many variables when you solo queue

mcvey fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 13, 2016

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Foreclosing player choice is much worse than one more confounding factor in a matchmaking system already full of them.

The utility of a matchmaking system is to make decisions for the player, namely who to play with and against.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

strong bird posted:

The utility of a matchmaking system is to make decisions for the player, namely who to play with and against.

No, the utility of a matchmaking system is to keep bad and non-committed players from abandoning the game too quickly, by giving them the option to lose only half the time. What you're describing is a by-product.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Brannock posted:

Top three dudes on ps4 only play Genji. So no that sounds like hell and I'm cool with the current system.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Quite a few people didn't get stuck in the 55-59 rank Elo-hell section from last season apparently.

People used twink alts to drop their buddies into lower-ranked games for easy wins. It was especially noticeable when the rank 42 Mcree played like a human-aimbot in a group of 57s.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mcvey posted:

I only play comp in groups of 4+

e: too many variables when you solo queue

unless your comp group is just better than you, you're gonna lose a lot more often like that. and if they are, they'll lose a lot more often because of you

big groups aren't better for ranked

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My free box had steampunk Tracer. :(

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Brannock posted:

Sometimes I do, yes.

Sometimes I want to relax and have an easy game or 2 without trying, and sometimes I want to challenge myself. Which is why I hate automatic matchmaking with a burning passion. I know video game companies are always trying to stamp out abuse but god I miss the days of being able to pick and make your own games with other strangers and not just your friends.

I wouldn't mind it one bit if auto matchmaking disappeared entirely and we could just pick games based on some sort of rating.

The way I actually became decent at Broodwar was playing against people 1 rank above me regularly instead of trying to find the most balanced opponent. This method would have never worked with auto matchmaking because I lost more than I won by playing people better than me. As I lost, I would have then been matched against people who were less and less challenging to play against and never would have improved.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
They should add a feature so you can see who is spectating the match and whose friend they are.