Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
As a bonus, while sit peeing you can post it on SA like you're taking a poop. Granted I see people doing this standing up, but hygeneine isn't their thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The latest in Canadian #justice case involving cars.

quote:

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/6907837-stoney-creek-family-distraught-at-inattentive-driving-sentence/

Stoney Creek family distraught at ‘inattentive driving’ sentence

The tragedy of inattentive driving is painfully clear to Mara Balach's adult children as they struggle to comprehend how the driver who killed their mother got just a fine and a few months' licence suspension.

Balach's extended family and three children were in provincial offences court Wednesday for the sentencing of Stephanie Bautista, 33, of Stoney Creek.

Bautista struck and killed Balach, 81, as she walked inside a crosswalk on Queenston Road at Reid Avenue at 9:55 a.m. on Dec. 11, 2015 and had the right of way, court heard.

The court also heard heart wrenching victim impact statements from Balach's sons before Bautista, a mother of three young girls under eight, gave a tearful apology. She had moments earlier pleaded guilty to a charge of careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act.

But for Balach's family, the apology and the light sentence — a $1,200 fine and a five-month licence suspension — were unbearable and unforgivable.

"This is a farce," said the victim's youngest son Bob Balach, 52, outside court afterwards. "… if I ran over a dog, I'd get a longer suspension."

However, Justice of the Peace Kerri Boon said during sentencing "the court has to make a decision based on the charge before it … There is nothing else I can do."

There is no evidence of alcohol, speed, or cellphone use — and Bautista has no driving or criminal record, court heard. Boon said there was no evidence this was caused "by any other action other than temporary inattentiveness."

The prosecution and defence lawyers suggested a three-month licence suspension and $1,200 fine. Boon increased the suspension to five months, but imposed the $1,200 fine, saying "there is no price on the life of a human being."

Bob Balach told the court earlier the accident changed his life into a living hell of depression and sadness.

"By 4 o'clock that afternoon, while Stephanie Bautista was picking up her kids from school and making supper for them, we were faced with making the hardest decision anybody ever would have to make — ending my mother's life (by taking her off life support)."

Doctors told the family that Balach had suffered severe brain damage — "and that the blood that was coming out of her ears was not just blood; it was brain matter," he sobbed, adding he didn't want his mom remembered just as Hamilton's 17th pedestrian fatality in 2015.

She "worked her hands to the bone to make ends meet and feed her children" after a "horrific beginning" in the former Yugoslavia where she was orphaned at age seven in the midst of a brutal Nazi occupation, he said.

But his mother was the healthiest person he ever met, he added. She walked 20 to 30 km a day.

His brother Peter told the court "It breaks my heart that her happy, productive, energetic, vibrant life should end in such a senseless, inexplicable and totally unnecessary and brutal fashion ... She was the most cautious walker you could ever meet. She never jaywalked. She was always attentive, safe, careful."

Bob said her grandparents lived to be more than 100 and there's little doubt she would have lived that long too.

He said through tears, "Mrs. Bautista, when you're celebrating Christmas and Easter or birthdays, think of us. We are at the cemetery crying …

"When you see your family, hug them and kiss them and tell them you love them because there might be other people driving like you — selfish, and only thinking of themselves and not caring what harm they do ..."

Bautista wept uncontrollably as she told the court and Balach family, "I know you look at me and think I am a monster. I am truly, truly, truly sorry … every day."

First rate justice right here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
On that note: Toronto's Vision Zero is apparently zero pedestrians on the streets.

As long as it's the pedestrian's fault for getting hit there's no need to punish drivers.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

So why should this person serve a longer prison sentence?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wow, I can't believe that even made it to trial! Don't prosecutors usually meet with the defense counsel ahead of time to swap notes? Seems like this woman's PR firm isn't doing their job properly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

OSI bean dip posted:

So why should this person serve a longer prison sentence?

She's not serving any sentence. Not should she. She should lose her license for longer than 5 months though.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://hamiltonpolice.on.ca/community/news/2015/12/news-release-police-now-investigating-fatal-collision-queenston-road

quote:

The driver of the vehicle involved, a 32 year old woman from Stoney Creek Ontario, was charged with Careless Driving and has been before the courts to answer to the charges.

[...]

The driver of the car, a 32 year old woman from Stoney Creek immediately began rendering medical assistance to the woman after the collision took place. Witnesses in the area who saw the collision happen also came to the woman's aid.

[...]

Detective Matt Hewko and Detective Walter Niblock of the Collision Reconstruction Unit have ruled out alcohol and speed as factors in the collision.

jm20 is just looking for an excuse to wank off about a perceived injustice. Yes. The woman that hit her with a car probably was inattentive but she didn't run off.

:qq: the justice system doesn't work for jm20 :qq:

Jordan7hm posted:

She's not serving any sentence. Not should she. She should lose her license for longer than 5 months though.

Exactly. Suspend her licence and let her live with the fact that her dumbassery killed someone. There is no need for jail.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

OSI bean dip posted:

Exactly. Suspend her licence and let her live with the fact that her dumbassery killed someone. There is no need for jail.

Does this hold true for any other case of negligence causing death?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Especially when there are way better injustices we could be railing against. Like this gem:

quote:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/1013-military

The wife of a soldier at CFB Petawawa is suing military police for false arrest, wrongful imprisonment and assault after they busted down her door in the middle of the night and forced her out of bed at gunpoint, then pushed her face down on the floor only to break her hand by aggressively pulling her up by the handcuffs, according to a statement of claim.

It was April 8, 2016, around 2:16 a.m., and military police had been staking out Brittany Stratuik’s home for hours after they got a call that there were two dead bodies inside her home, that the back parking lot was rigged with bombs and that there were outlawed guns in the house. During the stakeout, military police enlisted the help of the Ontario Provincial Police, who dispatched a K-9 unit, according to the claim filed in Ontario Superior Court.

But there were no dead bodies. There were no bombs. And there were no outlawed guns.

Military police were advised by the OPP that the call was in fact a hoax, and that there had been similar swatting calls earlier at different locations across Ontario, but they busted down the door with a battering ram just the same, according to the court filings.

Though the OPP told the military police they had investigated and that the call was a prank, the base police stormed in with guns drawn,
according to the claim that has yet to be tested in court. Stratuik was home alone and in bed. Her husband was out of town.

According to the $850,000 claim — plus undisclosed special damages — Stratuik says she was ordered out of bed at gunpoint and onto the floor and told to shut up. She told a military police officer that she recently had surgery on her right hand. She said she started to comply but before she could an officer pushed her face down on the floor.

She was handcuffed and then yanked up off the floor, causing her severe pain. Her statement of claim includes a surgeon’s confirmation that her hand was broken during the arrest and that the break was unrelated to her previous injury. Surgery was required after the incident. She also suffered nerve damage and has no feeling in her right hand, and has no feeling in her fourth and fifth fingers, according to court filings.

Stratuik is seeking undisclosed damages for “assault, arrest and injuries suffered from embarrassment, humiliation, exhaustion, pain and stress due to the events.” Stratuik’s claim says she no longer feels safe in her own home and suffers from anxiety attacks.

After they took off her handcuffs, one military police officer told Stratuik that he had “scared the s–t out of” her neighbour after pointing his C8 rifle at him, according to the statement of claim. The same military police officer allegedly told her that it was a “sh—y situation but I was just doing (my) job.”

The Department of National Defence has not yet filed a statement of defence, but plans to.

In an email, a DND spokesperson said the statement of claim was received last week and “we are currently looking into the allegations.” The Canadian Armed Forces are “committed to protecting the safety of all members of the DND/CAF community,” the spokesperson said.

Asked for comment, Stratuik’s lawyer, Lawrence Greenspon, said: “She was treated in a shocking way and suffered mental and physical damage and that’s the reason for the lawsuit.” The lawyer added that her client “may never have full use of that hand again.

I have no idea who was there or whether I know them or not, but I still have no trouble believing any of this happened.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

https://hamiltonpolice.on.ca/community/news/2015/12/news-release-police-now-investigating-fatal-collision-queenston-road

jm20 is just looking for an excuse to wank off about a perceived injustice. Yes. The woman that hit her with a car probably was inattentive but she didn't run off.

:qq: the justice system doesn't work for jm20 :qq:

The outcomes resultant in death do little to deter other drivers, there should be a much longer driving bans issued at the least. We're talking several years. If you spent any time commuting in the GTA in a car you'd be honestly shocked at the poor driving habits. Don't get me started on people using phones while driving, I'd record people and submit the videos to the police if they would actually charge people.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

I'd record people and submit the videos to the police if they would actually charge people.

The Ottawa Police are crowing about how they've already given out more than $1M in fines to people who can't put their loving toys away while they're driving. Clearly the message isn't getting out.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

infernal machines posted:

Does this hold true for any other case of negligence causing death?

I am not a legal scholar so it depends? Like in this case, while the woman was definitely negligent, she stayed on the scene and attempted to save the woman. If she hadn't stayed on the scene then obviously jail time would be appropriate. Not every negligence causing death case needs to result in incarceration of some sort.

Risky Bisquick posted:

The outcomes resultant in death do little to deter other drivers, there should be a much longer driving bans issued at the least. We're talking several years. If you spent any time commuting in the GTA in a car you'd be honestly shocked at the poor driving habits. Don't get me started on people using phones while driving, I'd record people and submit the videos to the police if they would actually charge people.

Okay. :qq:

How about you tell us what you want instead of posting an article about perceived injustice without offering your opinions on what should have been offered instead? Yes or no, should she go to jail and if so why? Is she a threat to society or are you looking to make examples of people?

I'd love to hear what your opinion is on the death penalty is too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean it's pretty clear he thinks there should be a longer license suspension.

Re-read his original post and ask yourself why you're looking for an argument.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

I am not a legal scholar so it depends? Like in this case, while the woman was definitely negligent, she stayed on the scene and attempted to save the woman. If she hadn't stayed on the scene then obviously jail time would be appropriate. Not every negligence causing death case needs to result in incarceration of some sort.

Okay. :qq:

How about you tell us what you want instead of posting an article about perceived injustice without offering your opinions on what should have been offered instead? Yes or no, should she go to jail and if so why? Is she a threat to society or are you looking to make examples of people?

I'd love to hear what your opinion is on the death penalty is too.

I already said a driving ban of several years to start for clean drivers. If there were other compounding circumstances perhaps they should take a 'timeout' from life to reflect on removing life through carelessness.

Who should be put to death? Just declare them dangerous offenders and incarcerate them indefinitely.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

I already said a driving ban of several years to start for clean drivers. If there were other compounding circumstances perhaps they should take a 'timeout' from life to reflect on removing life through carelessness.

This is all you posted:

Risky Bisquick posted:

quote:

:words:

At least offer an opinion on what you want to see happen to these people. Do you want to see them put in jail for a few months? Shot, quartered, and then mailed to all other inattentive drivers? All you're doing is making the same complaints everyone else makes whenever they gripe about the "injustice" of the legal system we have in this country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I feel that there should be an actual penalty of some kind for causing death through negligence when operating a vehicle. Perhaps to act as a deterrent for others and encourage them to take responsibility for their actions behind the wheel.

The fact that it appears to be acceptable to kill someone, as long as you use a car to do it, bothers me a bit. I understand there's no intent, but operating a potentially lethal machine with no regard for the safety of others seems like it should be discouraged.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 13, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We view driving a personal vehicle as if it's some human right with only the most minimal standards. Everyone has to drive, accidents are just the unavoidable price of doing business. Blame is almost always shifted onto the victim, specially if they were the victim of poor infrastructure, but even if they did everything to the letter of the law. People get killed on the roads all the time, it's just part of driving, it's unfortunate, could happen to anyone so why single anyone out. Besides, imagine not being allowed to drive for months, or years, or permanently, that's a fate worse than prison for many.

I would so love to see driving treated much more seriously, legally and socially. Make getting a license actually quite difficult with a barrage of testing simulating just about every condition and hazard a driver may encounter, not "can you back into a parking space, can you drive down these quiet residential streets without blowing a stop sign? Great, get out there and try not to kill anyone, but if you do, no big deal, could happen to anyone". These skills should be re-tested every 5 years or so, more often in old age, with doctors and driving testers aggressively weeding out anyone lacking the reflexes, attention, or sight to drive. Dangerous, inattentive, and impaired driving should be more aggressively enforced, with increasing suspensions, eventually leading to a total ban on driving for repeat offenders.

Some people say harsh enforcement like this would hurt the poor. Take away their ability to drive and they can't work. Yeah, that sucks, but their bad driving is going to kill someone. When actual lives are at stake I don't give a gently caress about class issues.
Some people say banning people from driving doesn't work because they just keep driving, what are police going to do, throw them in jail? Yes, actually put them in prison if they keep doing it. A dangerous driver is far more dangerous to society than a lot of the people currently rotting there for non-violent crimes.

We also of course need better infastructure so that not everyone HAS to drive, but right now everything from our extremely lax driving laws, cheap gas, infrastructure spending, and land use policies gives absolutely no incentive to change. Worse still, almost every effort made to reduce traffic fatalities ends up cracking down on the victims rather than addressing the 2 primary culprits: terrible infrastructure and terrible drivers.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

We view driving a personal vehicle as if it's some human right with only the most minimal standards. Everyone has to drive, accidents are just the unavoidable price of doing business. Blame is almost always shifted onto the victim, specially if they were the victim of poor infrastructure, but even if they did everything to the letter of the law. People get killed on the roads all the time, it's just part of driving, it's unfortunate, could happen to anyone so why single anyone out. Besides, imagine not being allowed to drive for months, or years, or permanently, that's a fate worse than prison for many.

I would so love to see driving treated much more seriously, legally and socially. Make getting a license actually quite difficult with a barrage of testing simulating just about every condition and hazard a driver may encounter, not "can you back into a parking space, can you drive down these quiet residential streets without blowing a stop sign? Great, get out there and try not to kill anyone, but if you do, no big deal, could happen to anyone". These skills should be re-tested every 5 years or so, more often in old age, with doctors and driving testers aggressively weeding out anyone lacking the reflexes, attention, or sight to drive. Dangerous, inattentive, and impaired driving should be more aggressively enforced, with increasing suspensions, eventually leading to a total ban on driving for repeat offenders.

Some people say harsh enforcement like this would hurt the poor. Take away their ability to drive and they can't work. Yeah, that sucks, but their bad driving is going to kill someone. When actual lives are at stake I don't give a gently caress about class issues.
Some people say banning people from driving doesn't work because they just keep driving, what are police going to do, throw them in jail? Yes, actually put them in prison if they keep doing it. A dangerous driver is far more dangerous to society than a lot of the people currently rotting there for non-violent crimes.

We also of course need better infastructure so that not everyone HAS to drive, but right now everything from our extremely lax driving laws, cheap gas, infrastructure spending, and land use policies gives absolutely no incentive to change. Worse still, almost every effort made to reduce traffic fatalities ends up cracking down on the victims rather than addressing the 2 primary culprits: terrible infrastructure and terrible drivers.

None of what you suggested will happen until politicians begin to do the latter but they're still pandering to the car-driving crowd. Look at BC and the desire to build new bridges in Metro Vancouver but then turning around and saying there is no money for new SkyTrain lines. The votes for right-leaning parties are with the car drivers and we saw this evident in the recent plebiscite on TransLink funding.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

if your driving is bad enough to literally kill people, you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive, imo

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

OSI bean dip posted:

This is all you posted:

quote:

At least offer an opinion on what you want to see happen to these people. Do you want to see them put in jail for a few months? Shot, quartered, and then mailed to all other inattentive drivers? All you're doing is making the same complaints everyone else makes whenever they gripe about the "injustice" of the legal system we have in this country.

That woman probably needs 2-3 years away from a vehicle. It seems almost obvious that people with lots of convictions for things like careless or dangerous driving, or multiple incidents involving death or drunk driving should be given short sentences in 'timeout' in addition to a lengthy 10 year driving ban. People with driving bans that are caught driving should be given commensurate sentences in 'timeout' based on their aggravating circumstances. The goal here is to take bad drivers off the road, and for the punishments to be a very visible, real threat to a persons livelihood and lifestyle. They are free to move to another province and proceed to recklessly drive there if they are allowed by their licensing ministry.

Edit: to be a bit more clean on timeout and whatever. We don't really need lengthy prison sentences given the fact we are already stuffing our prison system :airquote: temporarily :airquote: with asylum/refugee claimants.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 13, 2016

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Brandon Proust posted:

if your driving is bad enough to literally kill people, you probably shouldn't be allowed to drive, imo

B-b-b-b-but, what about the fact that any one of us could suffer an aneurysm at any time?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Brandon Proust posted:

Enough of your commie war on the car nonsense! Why do you hate freedom?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Especially when there are way better injustices we could be railing against. Like this gem:

I have no idea who was there or whether I know them or not, but I still have no trouble believing any of this happened.

I see that and raise you Toronto's finest.

In a surprise twist, the SIU is actually pursuing charges.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

It is not known what result the Professional Standards investigation produced.

That's a bit of a problem right there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yes, it is.

The TPS has recently bemoaned the lack of public confidence in the service, but they don't seem particularly eager to address the issues that engender the lack of confidence.

Again, this case is particularly noteworthy because it's a rarity for SIU to actually do anything.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have a cousin who's a pretty poo poo driver and spent 2 months in a coma for it.

He's still driving and has been in at least one accident since. :ohdear:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I feel that there should be an actual penalty of some kind for causing death through negligence when operating a vehicle. Perhaps to act as a deterrent for others and encourage them to take responsibility for their actions behind the wheel.

The fact that it appears to be acceptable to kill someone, as long as you use a car to do it, bothers me a bit. I understand there's no intent, but operating a potentially lethal machine with no regard for the safety of others seems like it should be discouraged.

There's a difference between criminal negligent- i.e. driving and doing something extremely stupid- going twice the speed limit, racing, looking on a cellphone for an extended period of time (this one is arguable, though I think it shouldn't be if you're texting and driving that's criminal negligence to me).

There's the lesser standard of negligence for traffic violations , ie- got distracted by something, forgot to do a shoulder check etc. the lady in the article meets this standard for the less.

It's pretty depressing and scary how even a completely understandable and momentary lapse can result in a fatality and I can see why the government wouldn't want a criminal penalty for it.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 13, 2016

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
In the process of moving to Ottawa for work. Did I interact with the wrong five or six people yesterday, or is everyone here just grouchy?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

St. Dogbert posted:

In the process of moving to Ottawa for work. Did I interact with the wrong five or six people yesterday, or is everyone here just grouchy?

Some have called it Snottawa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's pretty depressing and scary how even a completely understandable and momentary lapse can result in a fatality and I can see why the government wouldn't want a criminal penalty for it.

Yes, reinforcing the idea that a driver is responsible for the safe operation of their vehicle at all times would be counterproductive.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Did you guys see that the head of ~Canadian special forces~ got off with a slap on the wrist for accidentally shooting his rifle?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Monaghan posted:

, looking on a cellphone for an extended period of time (this one is arguable, though I think it shouldn't be if you're texting and driving that's criminal negligence to me).

It's not arguable at all, it's criminal as gently caress.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's not arguable at all, it's criminal as gently caress.

I'm not sure of the case law on this one, so that's why I said arguable. I don't know on the top of my head if looking at a cellphone while driving constitutes criminal negligence in canada.

Yes, reinforcing the idea that a driver is responsible for the safe operation of their vehicle at all times would be counterproductive.

Sorry but intent is a pretty time honoured part of criminal law, sorry if that pisses you off so much.

I'm not arguing that they're shouldn't be considerably longer driving suspensions.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Don't get me started on people using phones while driving, I'd record people and submit the videos to the police if they would actually charge people.

Maybe you should! It probably depends on the cop, and this is basically hearsay, but apparently someone here got narrowly passed, violating the 1 metre passing rule. They gave their bike mounted camera footage to the police and the police are sending the nice driver a ticket.

http://www.espaces.ca/articles/actualites/2205-chauffard-filme-finie-limpunite

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm advocating for a change you should believe in.

edit: I also got out of jury duty for being out of jurisdiction :woop:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 9, 2022

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Speaking of justice and whoopsie daisies.

quote:

The bureaucrat who oversaw the Phoenix pay system has been shuffled into another role at Public Services and Procurement Canada.

Rosanna Di Paola, the department's associate assistant deputy minister of the accounting, banking and compensation branch, has accepted a new role as a special adviser.

"This new role will see her focus on several important projects related to pay modernization that require extensive pay and benefits expertise," wrote department spokeswoman Me'shel Gulliver Bélanger in an emailed statement.

Di Paola — whose involvement with the modernization of the pay system dated back to 2006 — will no longer have responsibility for making key decisions about the Phoenix pay system, sources told CBC News.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/phoenix-rosanna-di-paola-new-job-1.3801893

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Special advisor

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

namaste faggots posted:

Did you guys see that the head of ~Canadian special forces~ got off with a slap on the wrist for accidentally shooting his rifle?

This guy got 4 years for blatant negligence leading to a fatal negligent discharge. I'm not surprised a negligent discharge without intent or damage only got a slap on the wrist. $2000 for a General seems light, but I'm not sure I could have expected much more than that.

Side note- Wilcox was an instructor on my Soldier Qualification course after the incident, but before his trial began. He taught us weapon safety on the C7 and C9. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys all remember that time Gretzky was caught gambling on hockey but got out of it because supposedly it was Janet Gretzky who placed the bets