Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TeaMaestro posted:

I'm not sure if this is real or not, but I think I'm going to attempt practice sketching anatomy based on this skull. If anyone else wants to try drawing something that is base on that skull, feel free to do so and post it.

Fo real though these are either Egyptian monarchy inbred disease skulls or from a place where it was common to wrap bindings around babies' heads to forcefully elongate them. Likely the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

i've studied native south american art and also just did a brief search to make sure, but i didn't see any headwear that looked like that. you might've found something i didn't but i do think it would be lame if you just made up something "tribal" instead of referencing, cause maya and inca had some pretty sick headwear

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Those skulls are most likely Aztec in origin, but the practice of head binding was common throughout the Americas during pre-colombian times (and in other parts of the world too)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_cranial_deformation

Here's a painting of the practice (Chinook people from the Pacific Northwest in this case). The cradle-board and head wrappings were used to slowly mold the infant's skull.

Also thanks for the compliments everyone.

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 13, 2016

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

FRANCE. THEY COME FROM FRANCE.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here I was thinking people only did the dumb bone morphing with their necks. Next you'll be telling me there was a culture that artificially lengthened their, I dunno, wrists.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I'm almost to the end of my week of 12 hour shifts and can get back to what I was working on, but for now I will post this eye study I did a little while back, trying to get as close as I could to a reasonably realistic eye as I could. I feel I got most of the way there.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Todays witch prompt was "Pixie Sprite" which I didn't really think was a witch, but what can I do I have to draw what I'm told.

Also TeaMaestro, I think you might benefit from doing some more realistic face studies. Even with the skull photo as a base, your eyes, lips, and nose are all reading very flat - I get the feeling that you're drawing the features and choosing the lines that you do out of habit, rather than a real understanding of the forms underneath and how they would affect which lines you put down. I should also take my own advice because faces are something that I have always struggled with and it shows when i don't spend a lot of time planning out the features and expressions.

I am probably the worst person to be taking advice from when it comes to drawing realistic 3D faces so feel free to defer to the others posting, seems like you've got a lot of advice to choose from.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Humboldt Squid posted:

I never actually post in this thread despite being a digital artist but in the spirit of new beginnings here's some speedpaints and stuff from the past year or so

this right here is very much my poo poo. it's the first time i've ever actually wanted an animate desktop background.

TeaMaestro
Sep 21, 2015

Crap posted:

i've studied native south american art and also just did a brief search to make sure, but i didn't see any headwear that looked like that. you might've found something i didn't but i do think it would be lame if you just made up something "tribal" instead of referencing, cause maya and inca had some pretty sick headwear

From the Moche civilization, which is based in northern part of Peru, dating from 100 - 700 AD.

Still, I take it back. The headwear I did last night was awful and it shows when I rush. I'll take a look more at the Peru's history, maya and inca after dealing with some paperwork today.

gmc9987 posted:

Also TeaMaestro, I think you might benefit from doing some more realistic face studies. Even with the skull photo as a base, your eyes, lips, and nose are all reading very flat - I get the feeling that you're drawing the features and choosing the lines that you do out of habit, rather than a real understanding of the forms underneath and how they would affect which lines you put down. I should also take my own advice because faces are something that I have always struggled with and it shows when i don't spend a lot of time planning out the features and expressions.

I am probably the worst person to be taking advice from when it comes to drawing realistic 3D faces so feel free to defer to the others posting, seems like you've got a lot of advice to choose from.

While my end game was not going to be on the realistic scale, it's still good to know how the structure works, since it would be easier to break those rules. I'll still try and understand the human anatomy.

And you're right, some the features and lines were out of habit. A really bad habit in retrospect, so I'm trying to relearn things as they go. If that means time to drop those habits, that's fine.

Also, when learning the anatomy, where do you usually start?

Internet Kraken posted:

Here I was thinking people only did the dumb bone morphing with their necks. Next you'll be telling me there was a culture that artificially lengthened their, I dunno, wrists.

Well, in the ye old times in China, noble women tend to practice foot binding at a very young age.

TeaMaestro fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 14, 2016

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Internet Kraken posted:

Next you'll be telling me there was a culture that artificially lengthened their, I dunno, wrists.

i've been doing those exercises for years and although i've found them very rewarding my wrists aren't getting any longer

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TeaMaestro posted:

Also, when learning the anatomy, where do you usually start?

Since you regularly make art already but prefer stylized stuff, I think it might be best to identify areas where you are weak, then do lots of targeted studies to try to improve your understanding of that one thing. Then move on to the next thing, and the next thing (rinse and repeat as you need them until you retire/die). Having a very specific goal can make the study feel more relevant rather than something you just have to slog through.

To give you an example of what I mean, look at how you draw noses. You draw them in almost pretty much the exact same way in every drawing you have here. Not only is there a lot of variation in noses from person to person but you also draw a 3/4s view nose like it's in profile, so you aren't really applying perspective to them either. That is something you can easily fix. Just grab like 20-30 pictures of noses off the internet and try to draw them as true to life as possible. Spend a decent amount of time on each one and go for as close to 100% accuracy as possible. Then you'd have a lot more information and practice and that will help you with your stylized noses too. Depending on how much time you have for drawing that could easily be done over something like a month or even a few weeks for some relatively immediate improvements.

You don't have to do noses right now or whatever, could choose another thing but that's just an example of how you might approach it.

Also as an aside. I think using the skull as a base will go much better if you draw the skull first then put your drawing over your skull drawing not a picture. Drawing it will teach you more than just using it as a template.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 14, 2016

TeaMaestro
Sep 21, 2015

Thanks for the advice JuniperCake, that really helped. I'm going to draw some things that I'm not so good at, like the nose, hands, arm muscle, etc, etc.

Also taking your advice about skulls, I'll hand draw it as well, starting with the elongated ancient skull. It had an interesting shape.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my wrists elongate when i'm aroused as does the rest of me, every limb and trunk stretching out like soft elastic

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Avshalom posted:

my wrists elongate when i'm aroused as does the rest of me, every limb and trunk stretching out like soft elastic

NOW the thread's officially back to normal

carry on with the robot dicks

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

TeaMaestro posted:

From the Moche civilization, which is based in northern part of Peru, dating from 100 - 700 AD.

course i would forget about the stirrup spout vessels

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Avshalom posted:

foreverially a duck

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

What magic is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-6jATa2Q8

Seriously though... I am trying to follow his process and my mind is melting.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Space Witch.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Stay drunk Mr Skeletal, stay drunk.

Crap sketch in Photoshop breaking in the new tablet, some kind of daily thing.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Finished bun ear hair, yay!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Do you guys have any favorite tutorials for creating digital concept art?

Usually the OP posts resources in these kinds of threads but I don't see that here.

Photoshop is incredibly powerful and there is staggering amount of information out there. Where do I even begin??

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

sigma 6 posted:

Usually the OP posts resources in these kinds of threads but I don't see that here.

Photoshop is incredibly powerful and there is staggering amount of information out there. Where do I even begin??

I uh, usually just type into Google whatever I want to know and it's often small, specific things...Usually just typography effects like turning letters into honey, making my own leather texture, stuff like that.

Software tutorials are one thing. I believe it's also helpful to experiment with real media concurrently and understand where and how computers can save you time and energy (ctrl + z being a start, but not the be-all, end-all). Oil painting and collage play into things that Photoshop does well, while I found watercolors to be super useful in learning how to create vectors in Illustrator. A lot of the planning and build-up of illustrations with real media lend themselves neatly to techniques that save time on the computer too, and result in consistent stylization and polish at the end.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Beastmaster Witch

sigma 6 posted:

By "concept art" I assume you're talking about the style that lots of video game pre-production art is painted in, sort of painterly and very realistic like this kind of stuff from Bioshock Infinite? Because really, almost any style can be concept art as long as it captures the feel and emotions of the final product (like these wonky but awesome character concept sketches from Dance Central). You'll need to be more specific if you want some help finding tutorials.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

GreatJob posted:

I uh, usually just type into Google whatever I want to know and it's often small, specific things...Usually just typography effects like turning letters into honey, making my own leather texture, stuff like that.

Software tutorials are one thing. I believe it's also helpful to experiment with real media concurrently and understand where and how computers can save you time and energy (ctrl + z being a start, but not the be-all, end-all). Oil painting and collage play into things that Photoshop does well, while I found watercolors to be super useful in learning how to create vectors in Illustrator. A lot of the planning and build-up of illustrations with real media lend themselves neatly to techniques that save time on the computer too, and result in consistent stylization and polish at the end.

I knew about Ctrl +Z but it isn't so much the basics I need. More like intermediate to advanced I think. Although Photoshop has changed a LOT over the years, I am very familiar with the basics of how the software works. I am somewhat mystified by "Wootha's" advanced use of adjustment layers for concept art however. Maybe I am just still really fuzzy on what each adjustment layer is capable of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-6jATa2Q8

Also confused about when to photobash or when to paint. Christian Lorenz Scherur makes photobashing look like painting and I would like to be able to seamlessly integrate photos as easily as he does.
Then there is the question of when to paint vs. when to photobash (?)

gmc9987: I am specifically looking for photoshop tutorials in creating concept art landscapes. That Bioshock stuff is pretty amazing!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Stupid spooky bird ghost, ooooooooo!

It probably wouldn't hurt to have an account on one of the photo stock sites, they can be super handy for source material but you will have to pay for it.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 17, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Finally got started on my next painting:

Plan is to eventually have the primary light source in the picture being a ball of fire in her left hand, with the shadowy outline of some kind of creature with glowing red eyes sneaking up behind her on the left of the frame (will probably expand the canvas a bit to the left so that the primary character is centered on the imaginary line dividing the center third of the image from the rightmost third). Also thinking I will change the facial expression slightly to open the mouth and have the jaw slightly droop, and maybe raise the eyebrows and furrow them a bit to indicate surprise.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

Plan is to eventually have the primary light source in the picture being a ball of fire in her left hand, with the shadowy outline of some kind of creature with glowing red eyes sneaking up behind her on the left of the frame (will probably expand the canvas a bit to the left so that the primary character is centered on the imaginary line dividing the center third of the image from the rightmost third). Also thinking I will change the facial expression slightly to open the mouth and have the jaw slightly droop, and maybe raise the eyebrows and furrow them a bit to indicate surprise.

Nice start! You don't have write a paragraph describing a surprised expression for us all though - just draw it :)

sigma 6 posted:

Also confused about when to photobash or when to paint. Christian Lorenz Scherur makes photobashing look like painting and I would like to be able to seamlessly integrate photos as easily as he does.
Then there is the question of when to paint vs. when to photobash (?)

I can't help you with tutorials but if I had to guess, I would say that lots of these techniques just come down to working on a deadline and needing fast, effective ways to get a certain result. That's where all of my weird digital art habits come from, anyways. Assuming "photobash" means to drop a photo into the middle of a digital painting, he probably does it when it would take a lot longer to paint the thing he needs, and when the quality of the final piece won't be affected.

Anyway, here's a witch.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

pug life

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

gmc9987 posted:

Anyway, here's a witch.

A Vodun priestess being mounted by Papa Legba? I like it. :)

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
zombies... cause Halloween?

E: also i finished that other thing,

well maybe not finished but i'm done :unsmith:

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 18, 2016

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

"So many show their teeth these days". #inktober zombie.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

A Vodun priestess being mounted by Papa Legba? I like it. :)

Thanks! It's actually Baron Samedi, and I intended him to be more lurking than mounting, but either seems like something he'd be down with.

This is Technology Witch. She can use skype to call her grandkids all by herself and she even knows which little picture on her computer to click to take her to the internet.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

gmc9987 posted:

Thanks! It's actually Baron Samedi, and I intended him to be more lurking than mounting, but either seems like something he'd be down with.

This is Technology Witch. She can use skype to call her grandkids all by herself and she even knows which little picture on her computer to click to take her to the internet.

Omg I tremble at her dark computer magicks :3:

I did this a couple of weeks ago as a tribute to Car Boys, which is my joy:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Mermaid Witch. If anyone has any better/funnier ideas for the text, let me know and I may update it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Mostly done with the background and creature, now it's time to get back to the primary character and start doing the shading on her:

(There's a layer over the top of everything to tint the picture from reddish around the fireball fading into blue as it gets away from that point, the actual layer the primary character is on is 100% greyscale for now.)

gmc9987 posted:

Doh! Dunno how I mixed up the Loas, it's obviously Samedi just from the top hat! My bad. :ughh:

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

I watched the debates and will revisit/finish this one.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
reworked the spider geisha

working on a more casual look now.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
I like Bill Clinton, Mein Eyes!.

I fell a day behind in my inktober/31 witches thing, but here's the last 3 I did - Potion Brewer, Warrior/Knight Witch, and Magical Schoolgirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I have had 0 motivation to paint recently so have some 0 effort ladies.