Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Kashuno posted:

Ok good because I am and have always been bronze but I like to think I have a good idea of how the competitive scene works and stuff since I watch so drat much of it.

Then how the gently caress are you bronze. Bronze is not something that happens to people because they don't have the time or the mechanics to go higher. I know people who play twenty ranked games per season and are in gold and there are literally people without arms in gold and platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Mash posted:

Then how the gently caress are you bronze. Bronze is not something that happens to people because they don't have the time or the mechanics to go higher. I know people who play twenty ranked games per season and are in gold and there are literally people without arms in gold and platinum.

I like to play with my friends who are very bad and are okay with it, and literally don't play otherwise :shrug:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

can anyone give me tips on how to use raptors effectively? Everytime I get the ward sign, I never can find the ward.

If you walk within x units of a ward, the buff is consumed and you gain true sight of non-champion units for y seconds in a radius z units wide. It overlaps with other vision but doesn't extend into areas you don't have vision. So if you walk by a warded bush or near a wall with a ward on the other side, it'll pop but you won't have vision of the ward until you walk over to where the ward actually is.

Tl;dr: probably you walked past a warded bush or there was a ward on the opposite side of a wall. Annoyingly, wards that aren't stealthed (pink and blue wards) still consume the buff.

E: unlike sweeper the wards are still active so be wary of that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo I didn't realize jungle buffs were going away too next season what in the hell

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Kashuno posted:

holy poo poo I didn't realize jungle buffs were going away too next season what in the hell

lmfao excuse me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

lmfao excuse me

I probably should've been more clear and said smite buffs. Like red and blue buff are staying I think, but smiting red/blue doesn't restore hp/mana, and wolf/raptor/gromp/krugs won't do anything.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lovechop posted:

my pal realfoxy has been doing just that for years
Rude.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

quote:

'Spray and Pray' is also still really frequently used as a name, sometimes even by players who never played old Twitch. Thematically, while it does have a bit of oddness as a name (wild machine gun firing isn't a perfect fit for how the skill functions) it does still evoke the whole 'rapidly shooting many targets all at once' of Twitch ult pretty well.

ah yes, the old name was the one that evoked machine gun fire

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

:glomp:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Kashuno posted:

I probably should've been more clear and said smite buffs. Like red and blue buff are staying I think, but smiting red/blue doesn't restore hp/mana, and wolf/raptor/gromp/krugs won't do anything.

oh okay, that's still criminally stupid imo because red/raptor/gromp/wolves are still really good and i can't wait for the inevitable 2 jungler meta when they forget to account for no gromp/krugs buff on the first clear, but at least they're not dumb enough to remove red/blue

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

Link me to this so I can go and Shame the riot employee that is so dense that they think that spray and pay evokes more of a gunfire feeling than the literal play on words of a loving gun firing

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/story-art/xoI730fL-please-consider-reverting-twitchs-ult-name-back-to-spray-and-pray?comment=0014

also the plant thing seems really bad

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't get why Riot are deciding to try and re-invent the jungle another patch instead of just adjusting jungle meta through champion balancing and item changes.

It's like they spin a roulette wheel for jungle balance every pre-season including which three champions will be viable at any given patch cycle

stump collector
May 28, 2007
spray and pray definitely is a better name than this beats by dre tie in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kju7hf4mgDo

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I think i'm gonna start banning MF for a while unless my ADC has an early pick and wants to play her.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i cant win games on MF even on my smurfs and it makes me want to die

i think i'm just unlucky

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i dont really mind the healing fruit in the river, but randomly spawning a vision or exploding plant outside of baron or dragon randomly just means one more thing for the enemy team to clear before actually starting the objective. it just seems annoying, not tactically interesting.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i dont understand the fascination with riot changing their game when it's pretty great right now at the competitive level. I don't think they sit on their changes long enough to find out if they're worthwhile. Maybe their design team just has to come up with new poo poo or they'd be forced to downsize / lay people off. Personally I think its a symptom of having a massive company and support staff that only works on one game which only has three modes to play

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Of course it was meddler (side note meddler is still around? I thought he left along with a bunch of the other members of the old guard)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not only that but it further increases the barrier of entry to jungling. Smite buffs were pretty easy to understand: gromp + krugs help you early, red + blue help you recover a bit if you need it, and wolf + raptors helped with vision control. They each do different things sure, but there were 3 types of things to worry about and that was it. Now I have to worry about plants, what they do, where they are, plant timers, which laner should get the plant, losing one of the last remaining vision control options in the game, etc.

It's obnoxious that riot thinks jungling has been "solved," when it really hasn't. Even at the competitive level, there is no optimal jungle path or smite path. Worlds has shown this multiple times in the group stages. Just let things sit for a while Riot.

also gently caress a good safe clear with krugs or gromp buff. now an enemy jungler can just come in and ruin a clear with one auto on a plant if it spawns in an area to help you clear at all. This is leaps and bounds worse than an change Riot has ever made in this game, bar morde. Even with the RNG drakes, at least you saw some people being okay and understanding of it and seeing if it could work. I have seen literally no one think this is a positive idea.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 13, 2016

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
They don't want things to be solved and it's nowhere near that outside of basic routes to clear. The smite change is fine, it's a great big old whatever in the grand scheme of things. However throwing in a heal in the river that an enemy that blew his cooldowns and should be dead to rights autoing a magic tree saves them is massive horseshit. Similarly a good catch on an enemy jungler in their jungle abruptly ended because they slapped the Banjo Kazooie fruit is dumb. It's not only kinda childish and jarring to have them in but it's a layer of really bad wacky poo poo. They want to change things up sure but don't add more crappy mini games and distracting poo poo. The plants should definitely be on its on rotating game mode. They're just kinda doing it because preseason always fucks with the jungle but it's stupid.

If anything I'd love to see some of the items from the bilgewater event pop up. The mirror image thing looked like it had some seriously interesting play around it; why not stuff like that?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i feel like a couple years ago i had league kind of figured out and i was happy i could play decently well. ever since then they've just kept changing what league actually is and i have no clue what i'm doing, plus i don't want to learn whatever the new way of playing is because it will get changed soon enough again

i just wanna farm 500 minions in top lane and never group, is that so much to ask

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
The changes haven't been really drastic in the past few years on the map itself honestly but change for changes sake to a map that is largely the same for many years is pretty bad

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i feel like a couple years ago i had league kind of figured out and i was happy i could play decently well. ever since then they've just kept changing what league actually is and i have no clue what i'm doing, plus i don't want to learn whatever the new way of playing is because it will get changed soon enough again

i just wanna farm 500 minions in top lane and never group, is that so much to ask
Never forget the mundo vs shyvana cinderhulk meta

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Servaetes posted:

The changes haven't been really drastic in the past few years on the map itself honestly but change for changes sake to a map that is largely the same for many years is pretty bad

i dunno man, there's so many mechanics you have to be aware of now. global shutdown gold, first tower, gold / exp catchup mechanics, stupid rng dragon thing, all the vision changes...

i just wanna kill people and farm :(

RealFoxy posted:

Never forget the mundo vs shyvana cinderhulk meta

not the cinderhulk one but mundo shyv rene was some fun times imo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I miss when Hydra had weird interaction with Shyv's dragon form, allowing her to cast Echo Slam on a tiny cooldown.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

rabidsquid posted:

are you suggesting that lane swaps were exciting

i am. They're strategically more interesting than forced standard lanes, even if it doesn't always mean more fighting. Standard lanes have been solved for like 6 years at this point.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
all laneswaps did was make the teams double jungle with the jungler + toplaner, and then trade towers, and the duo lane and toplaner passively farm for 25 minutes

it was pretty boring

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Lane swaps sucked. But think whatever you want about them, I don't care. I'm done watching pro league forever.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm surprised they haven't done anything with 38% winrate Kalista

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

They are happy where she is now after being on top for so long

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

I think Meddler or somebody said they were planning to take a look at her in the preseason?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Radical posted:

I was one of those weird people that didn't really get into watching the competitive scene until a long while after I played and I was under the impression for like a year that his ult was called spray and pray cause that's what everyone I knew called it. I was p confused when I saw someone pick twitch on stream and the casters would say ratatattat or w/e.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tired Moritz posted:

Kalista is cancer when she's worth anything in lane so as a support player im pretty happy to see her not there.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
She's bugged to gently caress and they've addressed that they're working on it.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

they should just split kalista into two champions, one that throws the support around and one that does the jumping thing and then make new kits around those two things. shes got so much poo poo going on with her i don't see how they could ever balance her.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
trigger warning intense badassery:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Rattatatat only really makes sense with the single gun skin, with a crossbow it would be named, like, fwoompclickfwoomp

Also you spray the enemies with piercing bolts and pray they dont collapse on you first, pretty simple

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
they should change his ult name to "$PLACEHOLDER TEXT HERE" and satisfy everybody

edit: actually wait when you lock in twitch it should randomly choose one of the two ult names and give you that name for that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

meddler said in his post they were looking into changing the name based on which twitch skin you had and all i could think was "oh boy here we go"

• Locked thread