Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'll even walk back the F1 suggestion because I get they are the bleeding edge

Though, I'd argue stock blocks would make Indycar more relevant to the market they are in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's all of two manufacturers in Indycar, I'm pretty sure if they were at all interested in V8s or it would get another manufacturer in they'd find a way to make that happen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it doesn't matter that they can find a way to make it happen. no one said they couldn't. the problem is that it ends any manufacturer interest in investing in the sport, and non-auto sponsors would likely reconsider being involved in something so rear end backwards and dated. nobody is going to spend their marketing budget on that sport, you get nothing out of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
again, I forgot V8's were an extinct relic no manufacturer uses anymore

sooo backwards

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

just don't reply to me, viking, no one wants the poo poo you're starting.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you're right, no one wants to see your posts

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

all of these manufacturers make minivans, too. should indycar race minivans? the existence of V8s in road cars is not what anyone is talking about. you know that, and yet you persist.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

besides - we've gone over this. manufacturers were given basically a blank slate by the FIA and indycar to design engines. no one wanted a V8. you are wrong, sorry, i hope we can never have this idiot conversation ever again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
only NASCAR and other backwards rear end American things use V8's to race, gotcha

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"5.0L V8's seem to be the perfect engines for open wheel cars"

what does the SC stand for in nascar? Sopen Cwheel?

again - you are literally wrong, dude. open wheel series and manufacturers don't want V8s. move on with your life

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NASCAR is hardly the peak of road relevant racing, weren't they still using carbs like five years ago?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

NASCAR is hardly the peak of road relevant racing, weren't they still using carbs like five years ago?

but it's part of the list viking has in his head of "things that use V8s" so he's forced to mention it because he's too much of a baby just to concede the drat point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
fuckin pushrods

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

no bones about it posted:

The Audi 90 GTO really is a magical car. I bought it in iracing a week ago and its like an automotive symphony every time you drive it.

I love this video. Hans seems like the coolest dude :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA55FBYKvas

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

While we're on the subject of bad posts and obsolete things no-one wants to see but are consistently put into racecars, Mark Webber's retiring at the end of the WEC season.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

While we're on the subject of bad posts and obsolete things no-one wants to see but are consistently put into racecars, Mark Webber's retiring at the end of the WEC season.

Did he drink out of a shoe during his retirement announcement?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

VikingSkull posted:

fuckin pushrods

Nice car powered by a 3.9l twin-turbo 32 valve DOHC V8. :tipshat:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Riso posted:

Nice car powered by a 3.9l twin-turbo 32 valve DOHC V8. :tipshat:

yep they could stroke it up to 4.9 and run it, sounds good

like, where did I say they shouldn't run turbos or OHC

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

1500quidporsche posted:

They were still using leaded gas until like 2006.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Is that when they switched to Sunoco Race Fuel(tm) ?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

wicka posted:

all of these manufacturers make minivans, too. should indycar race minivans?

Yes?

Have you ever been to a local track? The random poo poo races are the best things.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Slickdrac posted:

Yes?

Have you ever been to a local track? The random poo poo races are the best things.

Chiming in to say yes I 100% want minivan races as well

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mactheknife posted:

Chiming in to say yes I 100% want minivan races as well

sorry the manufacturers said no

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ LET IT GO

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NASCAR would have greater appeal if they abandoned the pretense of stock cars and raced lifted bro trucks rollin' coal

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Don't need to watch TV to see that, I just saw it with my own eyes crossing town on I-10

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

yep they could stroke it up to 4.9 and run it, sounds good

like, where did I say they shouldn't run turbos or OHC

You seemed to be under the impression that the ferrari did not use overhead cams.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't think Ferrari ever stooped so low as to use push-rods.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

no bones about it posted:

You seemed to be under the impression that the ferrari did not use overhead cams.

no, two people replied to my sarcastic point that other styles of racing besides NASCAR use V8's as if I was saying all engines should be like NASCAR, when the post that set this off even had me make reference to quad cams

then I got cheeky

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Poes law man. You post retarded so people have no choice but to assume you are actually retarded.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bring back two strokes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The Offy did nothing wrong

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

1500quidporsche posted:

Bring back two strokes.

Saab's dead man

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Coming to F1, 2019

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Oh hey, 66 posts in the random racing thread...

Just viking and wikka.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

why can't i build this in Automation

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

um

If the one top flight series known for its V8s wants to disassociate itself from V8s, how can anyone argue that V8s are relevant in racing anymore?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Lmao the V8 is dead if Australia is doing this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they are, and manufacturer involvement is the specific reason they're moving away from the V8 image. fine by me since traditionally the ATCC had a shitload of engine types being run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Alain Post posted:

they are, and manufacturer involvement is the specific reason they're moving away from the V8 image. fine by me since traditionally the ATCC had a shitload of engine types being run

The road war will never come to pass if the V8 disappears though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTzUT7XkKE

• Locked thread