Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

tessiebee posted:

Re bankchat, here is the link:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2016/10/club-lloyds-to-slash-interest-rate-from-4-to-2

ISAs were already in the toilet. Now what little savings could be made on smaller amounts is following suit

Good thing we used taxpayers money to bail out all these banks, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to save the economy by giving themselves massive bonuses and not lending to anyone for the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Spangly A posted:

I've never heard of it and I don't know anyone in (supermarket) retail who has heard of it. I also can't be arsed to go through Mike Ashley's repeated ignorance-is-a-defence claims but I would imagine it'd be much more likely in sportswear than supermarkets.

e; shoplifting is not a victimless crime but the only victims are people I'd really want to curbstomp anyway

Its absolutely not supposed to happen and like yourself I've never heard of it occurring in a supermarket but have in a few other environments, which raised questions about the legality of doing so. Answer: Its not. I'm not sure if this came up in the Sports Direct debacle to be honest.

Shoplifting doesn't just occur in supermarkets and department stores. Of course they are the bigger targets but its not unheard of for independent shops to be hit by shoplifting as well. In fact it does have a direct negative impact on some of the larger businesses' employees as a whole in cases like the Co-Op and John Lewis/Waitrose because of the company structure. That's mostly why even your Saturday morning part time shelf stacker will be (quite understandably) annoyed by someone trying to nick a few razor blades or a few joints of beef.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
London Zoo has the ghost of harambe running amok apparently.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/786620234799153152

Harambrexit

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

It's been a bad day and this made me smile, thank you thread. :)

p.s beards are sexy - if it's not Grizzly Adams I don't want to know.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Guavanaut posted:

Because they're scared that their career would be over due to the right wing press. Which acts that way to try to preserve their angry aging audiences.

You'd think they'd find some new moral panics to move on to, but from their perspective why not run the new ones as well as the old ones.

Folk devils and prohibitionism run on fear, not logic.

That's not necessarily strictly true. I bet at least a few Friedmanites did the numbers and found that the profitability of legalized drugs is nothing to the money that can be wrung out of stuffing private prisons with dirt cheap labour.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bottom row second in from the right.

Hmm...

I see what's going on here.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Shoplifting doesn't just occur in supermarkets and department stores. Of course they are the bigger targets but its not unheard of for independent shops to be hit by shoplifting as well. In fact it does have a direct negative impact on some of the larger businesses' employees as a whole in cases like the Co-Op and John Lewis/Waitrose because of the company structure. That's mostly why even your Saturday morning part time shelf stacker will be (quite understandably) annoyed by someone trying to nick a few razor blades or a few joints of beef.

The answer to that is fairly easy: there is absolutely no moral equivalency between stealing from a local or a co-op (bad) and stealing from a parasitic corporation like Sainsbury's (good)

fwiw the guys I know that work in waitrose held the same view that grazing and shoplifting was something they gave absolutely no shits about, but your experiences may vary.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/786626679812812800

oh, and

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/786592620826988544

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 13, 2016

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/jay_beecher/status/786285012496842753

The Farage affair tapes from the disgruntled kipper are coming out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like they should put it to a referendum.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
That was before the fun times of the last few days. It'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference...

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Laradus posted:

p.s beards are sexy - if it's not Gerry Adams I don't want to know.

:allears:

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Zephro posted:

That was before the fun times of the last few days. It'll be interesting to see if that makes any difference...
New poll shows 55% support for independence referendum if Tories pursue hard Brexit

quote:

More than half of voters in Scotland would support an independence referendum in the event of a Tory-led hard Brexit.

The poll showed that the number of people who support the option of a second independence referendum being on the table would rise from 45% to 55%, when undecided voters are removed, following a hard Brexit.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Sinn Fein Dad! ;)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
England replica kits are going up, just in time for christmas.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

https://twitter.com/jay_beecher/status/786285012496842753

The Farage affair tapes from the disgruntled kipper are coming out.

did that end the way I think it did

specifically her thinking about ringing up nigel farage post-coitus and saying "nigel, you aren't all that"?

Four on the go when you're a politician, that's plebian. Smh.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

baronvonsabre posted:

New poll shows 55% support for independence referendum if Tories pursue hard Brexit

quote:

More than half of voters in Scotland would support an independence referendum in the event of a Tory-led hard Brexit.

The poll showed that the number of people who support the option of a second independence referendum being on the table would rise from 45% to 55%, when undecided voters are removed, following a hard Brexit.

Ah, but we all know undecided voters swing towards the status quo, right...?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

serious gaylord posted:

England replica kits are going up, just in time for christmas.

who the gently caress wants one of them anyway?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Ah, but we all know undecided voters swing towards the status quo, right...?
[/quote]

Which would be more relevant if the status quo was an option.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

First Referendum: Do you want to be independent?

Scotland: No.

Second Referendum: Do you want to leave the EU?

Third Referendum: Would you rather be independent or leave the EU?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

nopantsjack posted:

Third Referendum: Would you rather be independent or leave the EU?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Fourth Referendum: Do you even want to be here? I mean like we're all for democracy and that but if you're not going to even think about leaving the union then why even bother voting at all

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

who the gently caress wants one of them anyway?
Who needs a whole kit to make a replica England, just find a piece of dogshit and stick a little sign in it that says "gently caress OFF, WE'RE FULL"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

radmonger posted:

Which would be more relevant if the status quo was an option.

The joke is that "everyone knew" Remain would win the EU referendum because of last-minute swing voters.

I am a big fan of swing voters, though I don't mind if they hang straight down either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Al-Saqr posted:

Haha not only is Britain turning into a xenophobic hellhole they're about to lose their favorite dirt-paste marmite as well haha

I really feel bad because unilever basically makes a third of everything people use and eat in their everyday lives and the same working class people are going to get prices raised and entire offerings denied them thanks to farage, Murdoch and the Tories. And in the end they'll still blame the foreign for the price hike because that Australian lich Murdoch told them so. Good job you guys.

But Lexit!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
A second referendum won't be happening any time soon, this is a draft bill that will be debated in the hopes of agreeing concrete conditions to pursue the referendum contingent on the Brexit negotiations and probably final single market status. So once the negotiating geniuses of May, Johnson, Fox, and Davis sort out those filthy foreigners us rambunctious Scots will rightly doff our caps and accept our place once more.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So in a somewhat surprising move, the defence secretary Corbyn appointed to replace Clive Lewis (Nia Griffiths, a unilateralist) has said Labour will continue to back Trident, as that was the decision taken by conference in 2015. A lot of people had speculated Lewis was moved specifically because he wanted to take this approach.

Personally I'm glad. Hats off to Jeremy for having principles but Trident is a ridiculous hill to die on, especially now the submarines have already been ordered. The party backing renewal but in practice allowing MPs to vote with their conscience is an acceptable compromise, they just have to figure out a good line to take on Jeremy saying he would never use them.

Also if Clive Lewis wasn't moved for this reason it lends credibility to the idea that he could be being groomed for future leadership.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JFairfax posted:

[i]Could we be returning to Royston Vasey very soon for a Brexit special?

This is a local England for local people.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jabby posted:

Personally I'm glad. Hats off to Jeremy for having principles but Trident is a ridiculous hill to die on, especially now the submarines have already been ordered. The party backing renewal but in practice allowing MPs to vote with their conscience is an acceptable compromise, they just have to figure out a good line to take on Jeremy saying he would never use them.

"Your call" aka cowards option is probably fairly common among PMs, surely? I can't remember if the PM is the one who sets the predetermined co-ordinates but I'd sure as gently caress not order a nuke on whoever the military had lined up before the apocalypse began.

Would definitely order it if I could aim though. Staggered shots at either the easiest place to penetrate crust or Antarctica. gently caress y'all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

That it's irrelevant?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jabby posted:

"I'm not a mass murderer"

Not sure how that polls with the people though, the Center-Left seemed rather fond of their last one.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Those worrying about ISA savings account rates should consider putting their savings in a stocks & shares ISA instead of a cash ISA. I opened one last August, and have had a return of 10% (albeit in GBP...). I have a moderate risk portfolio and it's admittedly pretty volatile (dived £1k in the first 2 weeks before slowly climbing again), but there's no reason you couldn't go for a much lower risk portfolio aiming for a 2-5% return, which is still miles better than any cash ISA out there. I did mine through rplan.co.uk - ridiculously easy and intuitive, but there's loads of others, just Google...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the Russians are just waiting for Corbyn to be prime minister then they'll do that thing from the Simpson's with the Soviet Union name plate and launch a nuclear first strike against the UK confident that that coward Jeremy won't have told the captains to fire our tiny number of warheads

Then as they cackle and bask in the warm radioactive glow they will be evaporated by the US retaliation because they have a hundred times as many nukes as we do

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Spangly A posted:

"Your call" aka cowards option is probably fairly common among PMs, surely? I can't remember if the PM is the one who sets the predetermined co-ordinates but I'd sure as gently caress not order a nuke on whoever the military had lined up before the apocalypse began.

Would definitely order it if I could aim though. Staggered shots at either the easiest place to penetrate crust or Antarctica. gently caress y'all.

PM doesn't set the co-ordinates, they just order retaliate, don't, use your own judgement or put the sub under the command of an ally.

Probably he should just say that he stands by what he said, but there are other options available besides ordering a retaliation personally, and he should leave it at that. Seems like it should leave enough wiggle room so people can't say he made the deterrent useless.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

The party backing renewal but in practice allowing MPs to vote with their conscience is an acceptable compromise, they just have to figure out a good line to take on Jeremy saying he would never use them.

There isn't one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can shoplift all you want but please grab a terminal and knock it off the stockfile on your way out please it makes my shop look untidy otherwise.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Nuclear deterrants exist to not be used. The point at which they ever would be used is the point at which they are most useless.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You'd have to be a completely loving insane country to go on faith that a country with nukes won't use them just because their leader's principled.

At which point it's not like the deterrent works anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

jabby posted:

PM doesn't set the co-ordinates, they just order retaliate, don't, use your own judgement or put the sub under the command of an ally.

Probably he should just say that he stands by what he said, but there are other options available besides ordering a retaliation personally, and he should leave it at that. Seems like it should leave enough wiggle room so people can't say he made the deterrent useless.
You're confusing giving an order to strike ("pushing the button") vs the (anecdotally reported) content of the letter PMs write when taking office which is opened by the submarine Captain if he finds out UK has been destroyed.

• Locked thread