Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spog posted:

RE casetalk:

I have a Moto G4 Play - is this the same size as a more popular phone on the market?

I'm after a simple [neoprene] pouch type sleeve, but I can't see anything listed for this model: is there a equivalently sized Samsung/iPhone that I could search for?

I always go to eBay for my neoprene sleeves, that's assuming you can wait four weeks. Like this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Are there any good Pixel cases around yet? I'd like something like the Apple Leather case or something TPU, thin, in red.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like Amazon is refunding some Note7 accessories if anybody picked up anything from them.

Samsung is offering a $100 credit if you replace the Note7 with another Samsung device.

Some people in the Verizon thread have reported that Verizon is automatically removing and refunding payments for Note7 devices as well as shipping out boxes to everyone who has the device to ship back immediately.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ta, much appreciated.

LastInLine posted:

I always go to eBay for my neoprene sleeves, that's assuming you can wait four weeks. Like this one.

You mean you don't have something like this?

Serious talk: I like the pouches like the one you linked as they seem to be the only style of case that stops you getting biscuit crumbs in the speaker grills and buttons. Plus it makes me feel I am keeping the phone safe and warm

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spog posted:

Ta, much appreciated.

You mean you don't have something like this?

Serious talk: I like the pouches like the one you linked as they seem to be the only style of case that stops you getting biscuit crumbs in the speaker grills and buttons. Plus it makes me feel I am keeping the phone safe and warm

Actually that was on mobile but the ones I get are exactly like the one that came with the Nexus One. Black, stitching on the inside, with Andy the Android at the top. This is the one I'm using on my Nexus 5:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've still got my Nexus One sleeve, but it doesn't fit any of today's jumbo-fones. :sigh:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have an S7 for work with AT&T, but the LTE signal doesn't penetrate the building well, so I often just have one or maybe two bars of service. I've been solving this by opening the debug menu through the dialer and switching to GSM/CDMA, but that tends to reset itself every day. Is there any way to permanently disable LTE on Samsung's version of Marshmallow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People carry their phones in sleeves?? :confused:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

hooah posted:

I have an S7 for work with AT&T, but the LTE signal doesn't penetrate the building well, so I often just have one or maybe two bars of service. I've been solving this by opening the debug menu through the dialer and switching to GSM/CDMA, but that tends to reset itself every day. Is there any way to permanently disable LTE on Samsung's version of Marshmallow?

On every Android I've ever had you can just go to Settings->More(under Wireless&Networks)->Cellular networks->Preferred Network Type and choose 3G

Does Samsung remove this ability?

There might also be some widgets on the play store specifically made for switching between 3/4G. Maybe look up 3G Only Switch or something of that sorts.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Amazon is refunding some Note7 accessories if anybody picked up anything from them.

Samsung is offering a $100 credit if you replace the Note7 with another Samsung device.

Some people in the Verizon thread have reported that Verizon is automatically removing and refunding payments for Note7 devices as well as shipping out boxes to everyone who has the device to ship back immediately.

Can confirm that Amazon is giving out shipping labels and refunds for accessories over 30 days old, just got off chat with their support. Mentioning the Note 7 was apparently all that was needed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I got in the habit with the N1 and never could break it :shrug: I don't want my phone in a case but at the same time I work in a dirty environment. Plus the nice thing is I could, before I had my 360, poke the bottom out of the sleeve a little bit to see the LED.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Endless Mike posted:

Naked or bust.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ugh I unenrolled from the Google app beta program and now my icons are all back to default. :-[

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LastInLine posted:

I got in the habit with the N1 and never could break it :shrug: I don't want my phone in a case but at the same time I work in a dirty environment. Plus the nice thing is I could, before I had my 360, poke the bottom out of the sleeve a little bit to see the LED.

Phones are the new pack of smokes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does anyone else's ear speaker on their 5x sound like a lovely Radio Shack walkie talkie from 1985?

It's definitely the speaker. Phone calls are clear as day through bluetooth or earbuds.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone else's ear speaker on their 5x sound like a lovely Radio Shack walkie talkie from 1985?

It's definitely the speaker. Phone calls are clear as day through bluetooth or earbuds.
The speaker cone is dented or dislodged. Put your mouth to the grille and suck then blow air through it, that fixes it for most people.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Android Thread - just suck or blow your phone to fix it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"My Note 7 smoked... but I didn't inhale." :smug:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Are there any good Pixel cases around yet? I'd like something like the Apple Leather case or something TPU, thin, in red.

I ordered a pink TPU case for my wife's Pixel XL form amazon. It seems ok, but who knows until I have a phone to put in it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nice new thread title.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Does anyone have one of those Google Live Cases? Any good from a physical material standpoint? I really like the designs you can put on them.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Does anyone have one of those Google Live Cases? Any good from a physical material standpoint? I really like the designs you can put on them.
I got a Google Maps version for my 5X back when they first came out. Cosmetically it looked really nice, but I was ultimately disappointed by the fact that the case material is as slippery as the phone is when naked, and the NFC button on the back is of marginal utility and kinda hard to trigger. I went back to my TPU case shortly after :sigh:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

IAmKale posted:

I got a Google Maps version for my 5X back when they first came out. Cosmetically it looked really nice, but I was ultimately disappointed by the fact that the case material is as slippery as the phone is when naked, and the NFC button on the back is of marginal utility and kinda hard to trigger. I went back to my TPU case shortly after :sigh:

That's definitely what I'm wondering about, one map themed case I designed online looks amazing imo but if the physical feel/fit is bad then what's the point :(

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

IAmKale posted:

I have one for the 6P and I agree with most of this. I don't think mine is as slippery as just the bare phone, but it's not a whole lot better. You could put some grip tape on it.

The nfc button kinda sucks. I use it for a flashlight and it takes three or four pushes/swipes or whatever to actually trigger half the time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just make your own weird looking phone case with hot glue. This really one-ups the grip tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjRcyfRjkg

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So um.. any idea how to hunt down whatever the gently caress is causing an alert sound? It's not giving me any notifications and seems to happen at completely random intervals. I've tried the Notification History app but it doesn't seem to see where it's coming from. I've been trawling app settings pages for the better part of 3 hours now.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So word is Verizon is going top make their 3 installed apps on pixel phones removable, the phone will be carrier unlocked, but the boot loader will be locked. What is given up with a locked boot loader? I've never touched that stuff though it would be interesting to learn.

I would like to get my hands on a pixel xl and I worry how long google will be sold out for.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IIRC, the big thing for me about having an unlocked boot loader got you was being able to use titanium backup. If you decided you needed to back up your phone, you'd have to root, and to root, you have to unlock the bootloader, and when you unlock the bootloader the phone gets wiped. So, the solution was to unlock the boot loader and not root until you needed to do a backup.

Someone else can chime in to how accurate that still is (or was it ever?)

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Its required to unlock if you want to flash factory images straight from Google.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, the big thing for me about having an unlocked boot loader got you was being able to use titanium backup. If you decided you needed to back up your phone, you'd have to root, and to root, you have to unlock the bootloader, and when you unlock the bootloader the phone gets wiped. So, the solution was to unlock the boot loader and not root until you needed to do a backup.

Someone else can chime in to how accurate that still is (or was it ever?)

I could be wrong because it's been quite awhile but I think you could still get root with a locked bootloader, however, you couldn't flash any custom ROMs/images without the bootloader being unlocked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That said, we don't even know if the Pixel devices will be rootable or if they will boot while rooted due to enhanced security features.

The only other real thing unlockable bootloader's give you is the ability to completely zero out your device and re-flash the whole OS in the event of a real issue. Though, with dual system partitions now, I would say there's a far smaller chance in getting into an unrecoverable situation that would require that.

I'm expecting all pixel devices, play store or not, to get the 3 apps if activated with a Verizon SIM. Google baked that functionally into the OS.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Rexxed posted:

Just make your own weird looking phone case with hot glue. This really one-ups the grip tape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxjRcyfRjkg

Its like a XDA theme for the outside of your phone!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spigen Support just asked me to break my Note7 case "to unusable condition" and take a picture of it, instead of spending money to ship it back for a return.

Game on.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This is what Samsung should have done with the Note 7 imo.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

ATTN:URGENT: DESTROY ALL DOCUMENTS AND MATERIALS PERTAINING TO PROJECT "NOTE 7" IMMEDIATELY.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

comper posted:

I could be wrong because it's been quite awhile but I think you could still get root with a locked bootloader, however, you couldn't flash any custom ROMs/images without the bootloader being unlocked.

I don't think you can get root without the unlocked bootloader but maybe you can. You'd need to have a root exploit in order to do it and with monthly security patches I'd hope that wouldn't happen. It's also not like someone's looking for exploits against Nexus devices, after all, they have unlocked bootloaders. As bull (and withoutclass) said, the biggest issue is that you can't flash system images and I'll be honest, I wouldn't be happy about that. I know it doesn't matter to the average consumer and he's right that the new partitioning should solve problems but as someone who knows how to do it and has had to do so to fix many devices, some never hosed with, I would just want that tool at my disposal.

As for what root gets you, the answers remain the same. Ad blocking, real backup, and cosmetic fuckery. The first is important to me, the second is very convenient to me but I could probably lose and still be okay with, and the third is something not worth the effort.

Moochewmoo posted:

So word is Verizon is going top make their 3 installed apps on pixel phones removable, the phone will be carrier unlocked, but the boot loader will be locked. What is given up with a locked boot loader? I've never touched that stuff though it would be interesting to learn.

I would like to get my hands on a pixel xl and I worry how long google will be sold out for.

I know Google is sold out but just buy it from them. They have better customer service should you need something down the line. Waiting a month will not kill you.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Spigen Support just asked me to break my Note7 case "to unusable condition" and take a picture of it, instead of spending money to ship it back for a return.

Game on.

They should have made you give it to a Nexus guy itt for them to destroy it. This is just Samsung loving over the Android enthusiast community yet again.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

This is what Samsung should have done with the Note 7 imo.

Haha yeah, "Make sure you hit the battery really hard with a hammer or a hydraulic press."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Please follow these steps to trigger a controlled burn of your Note 7"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

"Please follow these steps to trigger a controlled burn of your Note 7"

They could recoup some of the costs by selling tickets to regional destruction events. "Donors" get free tickets of course.