Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

StonecutterJoe posted:

Keep reading authors like Joe Abercrombie and Brandon Sanderson, who actually finish the poo poo they start and respect their readers more than they love football. (Alternately, more than they love doing anything but their jobs.)

I keep hearing about Sanderson, but I've never read him. Where do I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I keep hearing about Sanderson, but I've never read him. Where do I start?

I'd recommend just going right to the first Stormlight Archives book, Way of Kings, which is two books in with a third coming out soon.

I'm honestly not that crazy with most of his other works but if you like his style you'll probably also like the first Mistborn book.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm honestly not that crazy with most of his other works but if you like his style you'll probably also like the first Mistborn book.

Am I crazy in thinking those books get progressively better?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

deoju posted:

maybe it means the book is moving forward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4_Fefew78

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

TequilaJesus posted:

drat right they do. The current Mistborn books are really good stuff, too.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

drat right they do. The current Mistborn books are really good stuff, too.

Yeah, start with his short stories actually. Emperor's soul and perfect state. Short novellas he wrote on a plane ride in between writing actual books. Both amazing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I have the first three The First Law books sitting in my Kindle, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have the first three The First Law books sitting in my Kindle, but haven't gotten around to reading them yet.

I really like those.

RC Cola posted:

Yeah, start with his short stories actually. Emperor's soul and perfect state. Short novellas he wrote on a plane ride in between writing actual books. Both amazing.

I think I read just the first one... I didn't really like how he writes women - seemed super wooden. ( also I give him poo poo constantly in this thread about his overly structured magical systems ). Interested that people are saying they get better, maybe I'll give the next one a try. I did read the first Stormlight.. way of kings, but got bored waiting for the next book, and didn't realize it came out a few years back.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sanderson is a lot more comfortable writing men, for sure. He's a big ol' Mormon goon, after all.

But he's still a good author.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TequilaJesus posted:

The quality is probably 2-1-3 for the Mistborn books. The Wax and Wayne books that happen later after Mistborn are even better. Stormlight Archives is only 2 books so far, 3rd is probably next year (and he plans 10 or so), but they're long.

Regardless, the best book to start with is Warbreaker. Because it's not only good, but it's free on his website as a PDF which you can read in ibooks or whatever.

Warbreaker -> Elantris (maybe) -> Mistborn - Mistborn 2.0 (Wax and Wayne books) -> Secret History -> Stormlight Archives would be a decent order. It'd also help maybe connect a few dots in the Stormlight books that a person might miss otherwise. Like the guys at the Purelake.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

The quality is probably 2-1-3 for the Mistborn books. The Wax and Wayne books that happen later after Mistborn are even better. Stormlight Archives is only 2 books so far, 3rd is probably next year (and he plans 10 or so), but they're long.

Regardless, the best book to start with is Warbreaker. Because it's not only good, but it's free on his website as a PDF which you can read in ibooks or whatever.

Warbreaker -> Elantris (maybe) -> Mistborn - Mistborn 2.0 (Wax and Wayne books) -> Secret History -> Stormlight Archives would be a decent order. It'd also help maybe connect a few dots in the Stormlight books that a person might miss otherwise. Like the guys at the Purelake.

its all in the same world?

>Stormlight Archives is only 2 books so far, 3rd is probably next year (and he plans 10 or so)

Uh I guess Im' gonna pass on that until the series is finished.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

No it's good enough that it's worth reading. But you can skip all of female chapters until the second book and I found the main characters flashback chapters the worst things. The female flashbacks are fairly good and tell a much better story.

You won't finish the second book feeling unsatisfied. He's also splitting the series into 2 5 book arcs, so next year he's actually 3/5th done and will likely finish the other two within 6 years. Dude is pretty spergy, and I admire that a great deal about him.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kcroy posted:

>Stormlight Archives is only 2 books so far, 3rd is probably next year (and he plans 10 or so)

Unless he dies in a freak accident the series is prob gonna be finished in a reasonable amount of time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i don't recall if this was ever posted, but i just rewatched it and got a chuckle out of GRRM writing on his lovely ol'computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

kcroy posted:

Most of his stuff is set in the same universe on different planets. The stories don't overlap at all, but he has little tidbits in every book that imply something is going on in the background of the universe involving magic world hoping people. One character has been in every book (in generally a tiny or not noticeable roll). You don't need to pay attention to this extra plot stuff at all unless you find it interesting, as it does not really affect the story in any book or series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

dentist toy box posted:

Unless he dies in a freak accident the series is prob gonna be finished in a reasonable amount of time.
I'm really impatient, i don't start book series unless they are close to being finished. That I was tricked into reading grrm is part of what has made me extra bitter.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

kcroy posted:

I'm really impatient, i don't start book series unless they are close to being finished. That I was tricked into reading grrm is part of what has made me extra bitter.

Same here. I blame my wife

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

Stormlight isn't going to be finished until the 2030s unless he drops everything to focus on that series.

The books I listed aren't all in the same world, but they are interconnected with the Stormlight books having the most overlap by a lot. Reading some of the other books first will make a few more things stick out in Stormlight. Though some of it you have to be really on the ball to figure out, or read the wiki.

Pash posted:

One character has been in every book (in generally a tiny or not noticeable roll).

...except in Stormlight (and the upcoming series that focuses on said character).

kcroy posted:

Same. When I finally got around to reading through the Riftwar books (except the Servant of the Empire stuff since it's not in ebook form for Americans apparently) Magician's End had come out around the same time so I wasn't left waiting for it to end. It felt like the series peaked with the first book in the Serpentwar Saga though.

I've held off on the latest Farseer series because I want it to be done before I start in on it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
"I read through all the Riftwar books except the good ones". Wurts is a significantly better writer.

And the Farseer books are fine to pick up because every trilogy was written with the assumption it was the last. If you read them five years apart you don't even notice all the retconning.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Serpentwar is a really good Feist series. Rise of a Merchant Prince is definitely the weakest of those four, because nobody gives a poo poo about Roo having sex.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Sanderson is writing basically the Star Wars EU except it's only one guy writing all of it

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
george r r martin is a fat disgusting hack retard who would be obligated to kill himself if he weren't goin g to have a stroke heart attack etc in three seconds

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same. When I finally got around to reading through the Riftwar books (except the Servant of the Empire stuff since it's not in ebook form for Americans apparently) Magician's End had come out around the same time so I wasn't left waiting for it to end. It felt like the series peaked with the first book in the Serpentwar Saga though.

I've held off on the latest Farseer series because I want it to be done before I start in on it.

That is generous of you re: serpentwar. I read the riftwar ones, which I liked and the Empire Trilogy - which I think was ok - it has been a while, but I think I liked it. When his books would come out, I would stand in Borders and scan a bit, and just couldn't get into them. They started to feel very formulaic. Sort of like Lackey's Valdamar stuff - which I don't know, is probably YA for girls, but whatever, I liked it. The first few were good if cheesy, and then after that I could basically have written them myself. There was literally no surprise in anything that happened and felt like the author provided 1) Template 2) plot outline and then had someone else write them. and the Template didn't vary.

I'm def gonna hold off on stormlight. It is hard enough to find time to read these days, and I'm not patient.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Serpentwar is a really good Feist series. Rise of a Merchant Prince is definitely the weakest of those four, because nobody gives a poo poo about Roo having sex.

At least that book involves some decent stuff with Erik. The last book of the four is decent until the final stretch where it officially kicks off Feist's really bad philosophical take on gods and existence and such (which gets a bit insufferable at times, especially the final books). Also it has a literal zombie outbreak which was hands down the worst part of those four books. Even the worst parts of Merchant Prince and Shards is better than reading the Felurian and Sex Ninja stuff in Wise Man's Fear.

kcroy posted:

That is generous of you re: serpentwar. I read the riftwar ones, which I liked and the Empire Trilogy - which I think was ok - it has been a while, but I think I liked it. When his books would come out, I would stand in Borders and scan a bit, and just couldn't get into them. They started to feel very formulaic. Sort of like Lackey's Valdamar stuff - which I don't know, is probably YA for girls, but whatever, I liked it. The first few were good if cheesy, and then after that I could basically have written them myself. There was literally no surprise in anything that happened and felt like the author provided 1) Template 2) plot outline and then had someone else write them. and the Template didn't vary.

I'm def gonna hold off on stormlight. It is hard enough to find time to read these days, and I'm not patient.

I'm not sure the first Serpentwar book would be formulaic compared to his earlier stuff. Even the two Enclave books were different enough, even though Talon is a dumb character. The last three War book sets definitely felt like Feist was increasingly wanting to just be done with Riftwar though.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

A Major Fucker posted:

george r r martin is a fat disgusting hack retard who would be obligated to kill himself if he weren't goin g to have a stroke heart attack etc in three seconds

original

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What do you expect? He's behind rank on The Absolute Fucker.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least that book involves some decent stuff with Erik. The last book of the four is decent until the final stretch where it officially kicks off Feist's really bad philosophical take on gods and existence and such (which gets a bit insufferable at times, especially the final books). Also it has a literal zombie outbreak which was hands down the worst part of those four books. Even the worst parts of Merchant Prince and Shards is better than reading the Felurian and Sex Ninja stuff in Wise Man's Fear.

I'm not sure the first Serpentwar book would be formulaic compared to his earlier stuff. Even the two Enclave books were different enough, even though Talon is a dumb character. The last three War book sets definitely felt like Feist was increasingly wanting to just be done with Riftwar though.

maybe I didn't give it a real chance. I'll see about picking it up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I never really liked Sanderson that much, I listened to half the first Stormlight book at work and then turned it off because it couldn't hold my attention. Just too much high falutin' fantasy without much effort to ground the reader, at least initially.

Joe King is alright, he has neat characters but I can't help but feel what I've read of his has been a little cartoony almost, despite their violence. A bit two-dimensional, his characters are all like "heres who they are, here's their interesting gimmick, GO!"

George is gonna die before he releases another book but he's a good writer, even a great one among trashy fantasy and scifi authors.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

nopantsjack posted:

George is gonna die before he releases another book but he's a good writer, even a great one among trashy fantasy and scifi authors.

King Dick of poo poo Mountain.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I watched a couple of episodes for the first time. It was okay.

Anyone here old enough to have read Stephen Donaldson? I'm reading the Thomas Covenant chronicles. Sort of GRRM territory the hero rapes a teenage virgin in the first 100 pages So there's that, I suppose. :geno:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Anyone here old enough to have read Stephen Donaldson? I'm reading the Thomas Covenant chronicles. Sort of GRRM territory the hero rapes a teenage virgin in the first 100 pages So there's that, I suppose. :geno:

I tried to read it as a teenager, but couldn't get past the spoiler. I was a sweet, summer child.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well don't leave us hanging....how was she dressed?

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
asoiaf is the only sci fi fantasy i ever read because everything el;se is for fatbeards

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well don't leave us hanging....how was she dressed?

She wasn't, by the end.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

i read one book

it was bad

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Major Fucker posted:

asoiaf is the only sci fi fantasy i ever read because everything el;se is for fatbeards

For us by us, man.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The second one was really exciting. Other than that the whole serious was kind of boring.

Also, that spoiler is absolutely real and I have no good explanation for why the story is like that or what Donaldson was going for.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hogge Wild posted:

i read a book

it was bad

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So do the Jets being loving awful make it more or less likely GRRM decides to write?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

If they suck, he's too bummed out to write. If they do well, he's too invested to write. If they do just okay, he's too apathetic to write.