Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Britney Spears and her son Frieza Spears are extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Holy poo poo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hahahahahah

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
E: sorry, I don't know how Twitter works

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I mean a power level of 530,000+ can probably melt steel beams.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

You've made a new fan this day, friezas mother

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Jedah posted:

The man's series is so beloved that he has an army of dedicated fans who will carry the torch for him. Hats off to you, Mr. Toriyama. I hope you enjoy a retirement of chillin' out and eating delicious Earth treats. :coolfish:

I love that every quote I've ever read from him has been "my editor thought it was dumb" or "it's just a lot easier this way." Dude's chill.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Knowing Britney supports her child's endeavor as Lord Freeza (gently caress off with your bad spelling of DBZ things, America) has made her...cool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dias posted:

Knowing Britney supports her child's endeavor as Lord Freeza (gently caress off with your bad spelling of DBZ things, America) has made her...Cooler.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRHILPg9vhQ

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like that the whole video was Vegeta jobbing to Black

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
If only Black had an intro where he gave a quick evil hug to Zamasu... :glomp:

That's okay, he's still pretty subarashii.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe britney spears married king cold

I thought that guy was dead

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Knowing Britney supports her child's endeavor as Lord Freeza (gently caress off with your bad spelling of DBZ things, America) has made her...cool.

he used to be Freeza here to, Frieza is a (relatively) recent development and apparently official so whatever

hence the trunks joke about his name

America will never submit to Kuririn tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's because nobody here can pronounce Kuririn. Seriously, how the hell do you say that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you pronounce it krillin

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Frieza is actually supposed to be spelled "Arucardo"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Raxivace posted:

That's because nobody here can pronounce Kuririn. Seriously, how the hell do you say that?

Coo-Re (as in rewind)-Rine (like Wolverine). My phonetical English is super weird, but it's not hard to pronounce. Krillin reads weirder to me, as a native Portuguese speaker, but I suppose the American transliteration is closer to how Japanese actually say it - the whole R-L thing and all.

I can accept that one. However, gently caress you and your Frieza and your TIEN. It's Tenshinhan, motherfuckers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tien is canon and so is brolly, akira toriyama himself visited me in a dream and told me

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Manatee Cannon posted:

tien is canon and so is brolly, akira toriyama himself visited me in a dream and told me

lol if you think Toriyama is canon

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's in the manga!!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Frieza" is the worst thing Funimation has done and continues to do and I refuse to accept it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

bejita

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tien is a good name but Tri-Beam isn't. It's always had 4 corners when he aims it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

sassassin posted:

Tien is a good name but Tri-Beam isn't. It's always had 4 corners when he aims it.

And he's always aimed it through a triangle made of his hands or at least did against Cell. I think that is where the name is from?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kuririn will only be seen as a real name when some Kardashian or whatever has a kid and calls it that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

sassassin posted:

Someone posted a thing where if you want to drill a square shaped hole you use a triangular bit. I doubt they knew that though...

E:

zelah fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 14, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

And he's always aimed it through a triangle made of his hands or at least did against Cell. I think that is where the name is from?

His thumbs form a point at the bottom. When he first used it he shaped it directly over the arena. It's a wonky rectangle.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

quadrilateral beam just doesn't have the same punch to it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't really get why the Viz translation makes a point of saying the Chinese name of the Kikoho would be Chi Kung Cannon or something similar.

Like, sure, okay, but why for this attack only?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't really get why the Viz translation makes a point of saying the Chinese name of the Kikoho would be Chi Kung Cannon or something similar.

Like, sure, okay, but why for this attack only?

agreed, all attack names in Dragon Ball should be in Chinese

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
The canonically best attack is Hawaiian, so do that instead.

Also, I'm surprised there was never a villain named Pineapple with a minion named Poi. That's Dragonball AF.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I should clarify, it says "Kikoho!*" and then off panel it says *"chi kung in chinese"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

HitTheTargets posted:

The canonically best attack is Hawaiian, so do that instead.

Also, I'm surprised there was never a villain named Pineapple with a minion named Poi. That's Dragonball AF.

i didnt know the dynamite kick was hawaiian

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
lol it's like Funimation thought kids' brains would explode if a character name has more than two syllables. Like they wouldn't be able to get the names right for their parents to buy action figures or something.

gently caress them all and their Tiens and Friezas and Kais and Super Sayings and Special Beam Cannons.

Viz was pretty godawful too, somehow utilising both weaboo notes (This is the 'Kame Hame Ha', Goku's famous 'Hisatsu Waza') AND making up completely nonsensical FUNi-style dumbo names of their own. (Taste my 'Light of Death' -Piccolo).

Spidder fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 14, 2016

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kuririn will only be seen as a real name when some Kardashian or whatever has a kid and calls it that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Spidder posted:

lol it's like Funimation thought kid's brains would explode if a character name has more than two syllables. Like they wouldn't be able to get the names right for their parents to buy action figures or something.

The German dub tended to just call several characters by their full name all the time, so Goku was always called Son Goku and Tien was always called Tien Shinhan. Or is it actually just Tienshinhan as a single name and the English dub just shortened it? gently caress if I know. the Turtle Hermit was also called Muten Roshi but I think that's just what Turtle Hermit is in Japanese?

Attack names were also usually kept in Japanese so I still think of the Spirit Bomb as the Genki Dama.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

a cartoon duck posted:

the Turtle Hermit was also called Muten Roshi but I think that's just what Turtle Hermit is in Japanese?

Muten Roshi = Invincible Old Master (yes, Master Roshi is literally "Master Master")

Kamesennin = Turtle Hermit

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I couldn't remember what Kami was called in the German dub and the German wiki is referring to him inconsistently but I think they just called him God

The German wiki also insists his full name is "God Piccolo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

sassassin posted:

Tien introduced himself as Tien Shin Han, they just apparently use his "first name" in the show a lot.

• Locked thread