Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Because that's not how DS1 did it, son! Haven't you learned anything?!

What are you, some sort of B-Team apologist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Dark Souls 3, you can't satisfy anyone!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

I have a character with 99 STR who powerstances Smelter Hammers.

Thanks for cosplaying my spirit animal!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Anyone have any opinions on where best to get summoned for sunlight medals? I've been standing outside abysswatchers at mid 40s and that's been doing ok for hits but is getting stale. Just trying to fast track to greater lightning spear because justice demands retribution.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nonexistence posted:

Anyone have any opinions on where best to get summoned for sunlight medals? I've been standing outside abysswatchers at mid 40s and that's been doing ok for hits but is getting stale. Just trying to fast track to greater lightning spear because justice demands retribution.

Yhorm is pretty standard because 2 people with sword can murder him in about a minute. Plus he gives a lot of souls too so people are always farming him. Twin Princes are good too because people need help a lot, but people also die a lot too.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So what's the recommended soul level for this DLC supposed to be? They mention it in any of the previews?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Yhorm is pretty standard because 2 people with sword can murder him in about a minute. Plus he gives a lot of souls too so people are always farming him. Twin Princes are good too because people need help a lot, but people also die a lot too.

i usually get a few pings around that bonfire, because the area is kind of an annoying one

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Nonexistence posted:

if you really only want medals and don't care about anything else, Vordt was popular because he's easy to kill and anyone running a fresh character has to fight him. you can finish the fight in a minute or two even if you have to 100% carry the host.

aldrich too, because people hate fighting him and it's also easier to keep the pressure on him with 2 people.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if youre a sorc youll have a very easy time collecting medals at nameless king. nobody co-ops it and people will summon you just to make the dragon phase faster.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I prefer to collect my sunlight medals from the broken bodies of my fallen enemies. Praise the Sun and loving die!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
yeah thats pretty fun too but kind of annoying to do on the only build that matters, faith. since you know, faith is kind of rear end in pvp.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Iretep posted:

faith is kind of rear end

Fixed for brevity.

This has never not been true either. DS2 almost had it until the nerfs.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
At DS2 launch, faith was the poo poo. You could just melt everything with lightning spears, it was borderline OP in PvE at least.
They overdid it with the nerf though and it seems like it's been useless since

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
in DS3 faith is more useful in co-op and a PVE gimmick. you can basically do every kind of elemental damage with high faith so each boss will be easy since you can abuse their weakness. for pvp faith is rear end because the miracles are mostly gotcha type spells, they lack any kind of pressure spells like pyromancy has.
Edit: I suspect faith is the way it is because theres a big focus on "playstyle" and the spell nuker is the sorcerer. Faith is more support and melee range spells.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 13, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That might have been the idea, but it absolutely does not work in practice.

The problem is that the "nuke" type spells are so powerful you really do not have to give a crap about elemental weaknesses for the most part.

(See: Great Chaos Fire Orb.)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Well this isnt the first game where FROM has an idea that doesent end up working in practice at all.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Honestly, From just seems to just throw numbers about without thinking about how it'll actually work.

The Pyro Hand is the biggest offender. It is extremely clear that they did not realize what would happen if they gave it the dual scaling they did.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Friendly Humour posted:

I prefer to collect my sunlight medals from the broken bodies of my fallen enemies. Praise the Sun and loving die!

Oh right I forgot about this. Def doing it this way, I looove invading even though it's a shitshow most of the time. I'm v excite to smite the unkindled with my raw rear end and astora greatsword.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Iretep posted:

in DS3 faith is more useful in co-op and a PVE gimmick. you can basically do every kind of elemental damage with high faith so each boss will be easy since you can abuse their weakness. for pvp faith is rear end because the miracles are mostly gotcha type spells, they lack any kind of pressure spells like pyromancy has.
Edit: I suspect faith is the way it is because theres a big focus on "playstyle" and the spell nuker is the sorcerer. Faith is more support and melee range spells.

Can't use magic with high faith. Faith has some good spells besides boring old lightning spears though, divine pillars of light is a really good spell for groups of enemies lurking around corners or dudes that you know are there but you want to have a little fun with them and not fall into their little trap lol. Also high faith characters rule because there are a bunch of weapons that have innate lightning damage that are buffable with lightning blade, case and point dragonslayer's axe and LKGS. Also tears of denial is hands down the best body buff in the game because it never expires! :smugdog:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anyone else wish FROM had left pyro as it was in ds1? It seems to have a lot of overlap with hexes/dark stuff.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Azuth0667 posted:

Anyone else wish FROM had left pyro as it was in ds1? It seems to have a lot of overlap with hexes/dark stuff.

meh, the weird "upgrade to +15, then use a fairly rare resource to make it masterwork, then re-upgrade it to +5" was not a design decision I miss. I like the pyro hand having no attribute scaling, but they were trying hardcore to prevent SL1 pyro-griefing, so making the pyro hand scale off your attributes is one way to keep that particular avenue of griefing in check.

the bigger issue is that they completely reversed DS2's implementation of hexes as their own type of magic. since hexes had to go back to being just the dark version of all the regular spells, it makes all of the magic schools feel overcrowded.

edit: I wish they would have done all of the weapon scaling differently, maybe having some type of quadratic growth model for the attribute bonuses and then backending almost all of the upgrade damage into the attribute bonuses. so, a +0 weapon might deal 100 base damage and a +10 version of the same weapon might only deal 120 base damage, but the attribute scaling makes up the difference. then, you could still set the scaling so that a +10 sword in the hands of someone with base stats only gets an extra 5 points of damage, but that same +10 sword in the hands of someone who has 40 strength might get an extra 300 damage.

that way, you don't have to awkwardly tie your average equipment level to your invasion capabilities, and you can prevent people from low-level griefing as easily.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 13, 2016

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

AHHHHHHH just got so HYPED for this game again!!! PVP arena is gonna be LIT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUuLtxrWzM

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

meh, the weird "upgrade to +15, then use a fairly rare resource to make it masterwork, then re-upgrade it to +5" was not a design decision I miss. I like the pyro hand having no attribute scaling, but they were trying hardcore to prevent SL1 pyro-griefing, so making the pyro hand scale off your attributes is one way to keep that particular avenue of griefing in check.

the bigger issue is that they completely reversed DS2's implementation of hexes as their own type of magic. since hexes had to go back to being just the dark version of all the regular spells, it makes all of the magic schools feel overcrowded.

edit: I wish they would have done all of the weapon scaling differently, maybe having some type of quadratic growth model for the attribute bonuses and then backending almost all of the upgrade damage into the attribute bonuses. so, a +0 weapon might deal 100 base damage and a +10 version of the same weapon might only deal 120 base damage, but the attribute scaling makes up the difference. then, you could still set the scaling so that a +10 sword in the hands of someone with base stats only gets an extra 5 points of damage, but that same +10 sword in the hands of someone who has 40 strength might get an extra 300 damage.

You don't need to spend anything except souls to ascend the pyro hand in Dark Souls. That's why it's so good, really. You can still have a great melee build on top of absolutely making GBS threads damage on anything that isn't fire immune.

Also, SL1 pyro twinking wouldn't be possible in Dark Souls 3 anyway because of how invasion ranges work.

While there's definitely room for the ratio of base damage/scaling damage to be tweaked, I think the specific example you give is taking it way too far and would be too punishing to lower level characters.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
For real, bring back hexes as their own class! My hexer ruled in DS2.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I rolled a new character after not playing for a long time.It's only my second one in DS3 and I'm looking for something more interesting than sword and board. My first character was faith/strength and it felt kinda meh with how lame miracles are and how the toughest bosses have crazy lightning resist. I'm at the Undead Settlement and so far I've gone into dex/int, but I wonder if it's worth pursuing or am I gonna end up with a mediocre character?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I found that running a swordsman build, where you get the dual wielding swords with the starting class, was a lot of fun and pretty different from sword and boarding since I had to switch to dodging and mobility.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that way, you don't have to awkwardly tie your average equipment level to your invasion capabilities, and you can prevent people from low-level griefing as easily.

It didn't require shards or red stones though I'm not sure where the rare resource comes from. Yeah it was a hefty investment of souls but it felt like it was worth it because you saw a large damage increase. I think they have low SL greifing down with the restriction on what kind of upgrades you can have. It would be nice to have a no fth/int requirement tree of magic again.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I rolled a new character after not playing for a long time.It's only my second one in DS3 and I'm looking for something more interesting than sword and board. My first character was faith/strength and it felt kinda meh with how lame miracles are and how the toughest bosses have crazy lightning resist. I'm at the Undead Settlement and so far I've gone into dex/int, but I wonder if it's worth pursuing or am I gonna end up with a mediocre character?

I was doing an underwhelming faith strength build until I changed to an INT caster build and I haven't looked back yet. The progression curve is great in that I feel powerful but not like I'm steamrolling everything. Gotta get good at dodging, too.
I'm planning to pair my spells with the Moonlight Greatsword (or whatever it's called in this one).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's still the moonlight greatsword, they only seem to change the name between series

demon's souls had it as the large sword of moonlight iirc and in bloodborne it was the holy moonlight sword

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Azuth0667 posted:

It would be nice to have a no fth/int requirement tree of magic again.
I did like that gameplay/story beat where the original chaos pyromancies were zero int/zero faith.

Cause if the chaos flame is dying, that means it's harder and harder to cast pyromancy, since it's all tied back to the original chaos flame, so now you've got to put more of your own work into making it happen instead of being something inherent to humanity. Except if you can find these old primal pyromancies that can still tap into chaos without that extra help.

It was a nice way to make the gameplay reflect that the world is in a worse state.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

MarshyMcFly posted:

AHHHHHHH just got so HYPED for this game again!!! PVP arena is gonna be LIT!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDUuLtxrWzM

Holy poo poo is that FFA PVP?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That looks pretty gud.

guess I'd bettter git gud again at this game. Ya'll talking trash about my faith build gon git it. X gon git it to ya

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You choose your weapon...

get hosed if it's not a straight sword

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

...Are they really just copying Battle of Stoicism with more player slots?

Is that what I am seeing? Even the little crowns are basically the same!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Holy poo poo that looks like a 3v3 battlefield, that looks like it could be fun as hell.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

...Are they really just copying Battle of Stoicism with more player slots?

Is that what I am seeing? Even the little crowns are basically the same!

There's Nothing New Under The Soul

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The only thing Battle of Stoicism was good for in DS1 was freaking people out because it gave me a "was summoned" invasion message.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
maybe now theyll leave pontiff area alone so i can invade people in peace there. :argh:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

The only thing Battle of Stoicism was good for in DS1 was freaking people out because it gave me a "was summoned" invasion message.

The arena was a ton of fun. Only issue was it was a bitch getting random matches meaning you basically had to coordinate it with friends (and even then it was a pain until dscfix or w/e that connection fix thing was called) which hopefully won't be the case here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's what I mean, nobody used it. Meanwhile next door was a PVP hotspot. It was comical.

I guess this way people can set up 3v3, assuming it interacts with passwords.