Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

We actually had a new Ultra Q series not too long ago. I know virtually nothing about it, sadly.

Dark Fantasy, the second series, is very Twilight Zone, but to be fair that was the intent with the original Ultra Q. It's just Tsuburaya was a monster guy and that's what got the show really famous.

For 80, I don't think it ever becomes relevant. Him being a teacher doesn't stay relevant either which is the saddest thing about the show

I've seen a bit of Neo Ultra Q and it does seem to be a bit of a return to form as far as what you might be used to from the first incarnation (it also stars Mako from Shinkenger), MegaBeast Empire has subbed the first couple episodes if you're ever interested. Honestly a series like that would actually work well with the reduced episode count as it has no plot and is instead a collection of unrelated stories with a few reoccurring characters here and there.

Speaking of what you said about people relying on Ultraman too much I do kind of like how Taro ended in that regard (Kotaro willingly gives up his powers and then proceeds to defeat the final enemy as a human).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They need to make nine Ultra Q series so they can call the 9th one Ultra Kyu

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm watching Dekaranger and why does Ban have to scream all the time

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Parallax posted:

Red rangers scream a lot, at least half of them in modern shows anyway. Has been the case since Gaoranger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Parallax posted:

It's because he's full of energy and passion :eng101:

Ban mellows out a little over time, but never fully stops being the world's most cheerful berserker.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Craptacular! posted:

Red rangers scream a lot, at least half of them in modern shows anyway. Has been the case since Gaoranger.

I'm fired uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. :geno:

I dunno. The only reds I can think of that yelled a lot in the Sentai I've seen (everything past Go-Onger) were Sousuke in Go-Onger and Daigo in Kyoryuger. And well...Takaharu tried to yell, sort of.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Here's the new toy catalog scans for Ex-Aid.

Ex-Aid's mid-season upgrade, Mighty Brothers XX, and its accompanying weapon, the Gashacon Key Slasher:

A new Rider, Kamen Rider Paradox, and his two-in-one (fighting and puzzle) Gashat, as well as a new form for Genm where he uses the Bugvisor as his transformation belt:

An overview of the new Riders and forms, as well as a look at Drago Knight Hunter Z in action:

Simon The Digger fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 14, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Simon The Digger posted:

Ex-Aid's mid-season upgrade, Mighty Brothers XX, and its accompanying weapon, the Gashacon Key Slasher:

Ah, so he's the 1-in-2 Kamen Rider.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is hideous and i love it

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Looks like Bugster Genm uses the "Dangerous Zombie" Gashat. That's pretty great.

Also yeah they're all ridiculous looking and I can't wait to see them in action. Brave's debut really sold how cool and stylized the Riders are this season, IMO. I'm also loving the humor in the series. While the slapstick tends to fall flat, some of the character moments have been great, Brave's "There's nothing I can't cut" to the apple pie in particular.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

To be more clear:

-Using the Mighty Brothers XX Gashat, Ex-Aid can transform into the Level 1-like Double Action Gamer Level X. Closing and opening afterwards makes him split into Double Action Gamer Level XX L and XX R.
-Genm's new form is the Zombie Action Gamer Level X, using the Dangerous Zombie Gashat.
-Using Drago Hunter, Ex-Aid becomes Hunter Gamer Level 5. It seems to be generic, as it isn't Hunter Action Gamer and all Riders but Genm are shown together.
-Kamen Rider Paradox's forms are Fighter Gamer and Puzzle Gamer, both Level 50.

So basically Riders go Level 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 5 -> X -> XX, with 50 somewhere there. I'm sure that makes sense to someone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Simon The Digger posted:

Here's the new toy catalog scans for Ex-Aid.

I think Ex-Aid can't get any more 90s, and they give him a goddamn Simon as a weapon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

That's a Monster Hunter form, isn't it? :swoon:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've noticed that every Rider in Ex-Aid so far shares at least one of their names with a character of a previous Rider series (Hojo from Agito, Kagami from Kabuto, Taiga from Kiva, Kiriya from Hibiki etc.), kind of like how every member of the Kamen Rider Club in Fourze had a name that was a reference to a past Rider (For example, Yuki Jojima= Yuki Joji aka Riderman and Tomoko Nozama= Amazon). The opening also takes several cues from previous Rider openings if you look hard enough.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 14, 2016

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
dear god every single costume in this show is a hot mess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

dear god every single costume in this show is a hot mess.

And it's wonderful

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"Okay, the pink-and-lime is pretty 90s, but how do we turn up the garishness even more for the midseason?"

"I've got it. Dayglow orange, and teal."

"Someone give this man a raise. ...and a therapist."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And it's wonderful

Yeah somehow the show still works in spite of its weird suit designs, which means we might have another Fourze or Gaim on our hands (which would be a good thing in my opinion).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Larryb posted:

Yeah somehow the show still works in spite of its weird suit designs, which means we might have another Fourze or Gaim on our hands (which would be a good thing in my opinion).

It definitely feels like this is gearing up to be another "Rider War" series, which I'm totally fine with. For all its faults, Gaim was a pretty good "all these Riders hate each other and have wildly different agendas" show.

Also, I hope that one definitely evil guy with the palette swap eventually tells somebody that if they die in his game, they die in real life.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think Ex-Aid can't get any more 90s, and they give him a goddamn Simon as a weapon.

That's not Simon.

IT'S LIGHTS OUT.

Edit: Since it IS toku, I'm goin' to see Shin Godzilla on Tuesday!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 14, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Waffleman_ posted:

Fuckin' awesome movie. I'm probably going to go see it again in a couple days.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Who ever did the designs for everything on this show probably lived in America in the 90s and it just never left them all those years. this show is :krad: incarnate

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

That's not Simon.

IT'S LIGHTS OUT.

What if...

It's both? :tinfoil:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If this fucker's final form weapon is a Bop It, I'm gonna scream.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Watched the first few episodes of a bunch of Kamen Riders to see if any gripped my interest, so here's my thoughts.

555 - extremely depressing from the on-set. Yuuji's life really sucks and there's clearly no real solution without moving on/finding a new purpose... which Smart Brain is all too ready to exploit. I'm not 100% sure this one is for me though: I'm not too invested in the actual Kamen Rider

Ryuki - that kinda mirror poo poo freaks me out but the entire mechanic of jumping into another dimension to fight monsters is pretty rad. There's something really charming about how slow and pathetic Shinji is. Not really sure how a Rider War's gonna work out, but I feel like Shinji's gonna go fairly Gentaro with it. Probably gonna try this one

Kuuga - 410 billion dead cops. Are there a lot of goofy idealistic Riders? I think Gentaro is my favorite of the bunch, but Godai is kind of supposed to be an everyman. He had a much harder time with the suit than even Shinji. Miiiight be worth a longer look, I only caught one episode.

Agito- I love a good murder mystery and there's definitely a trace of that here. Normally I don't care for jurisdiction stuff but the first episodes has a rivalry between cops and an "Unidentified Life Form Squad" that was strangely compelling.

Amazons - So I didn't know Amazon and Amazons were different things and was very confused when it looked so much more modern than the rest of these. I think I really like this one. I usually prefer some joy to my Rider, but the sheer darkness in this one is so fascinating to watch unfold. Haruka is a very different protagonist than I'm used to. He's quiet and almost self-loathing in a way. Jin is an extremely unsettling character that I expect to stab a stranger at any minute. They've probably got one of the worst rivalries between Riders I've seen. The task force seems to have way more personality and story relevance than I expected. It's also only 13 episodes, so I'm definitely gonna wrap this one up. I assume the shows are connected, but do I need to catch Amazon for some context?

Is there a general recommendation for which ones to keep with?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you don't mind the slower style of Kuuga, stick with it. It's a great show, one of the best.

Ryuki...how do you feel about, say, not so great endings

Amazons is wonderful continue it forever. It has nothing to do with the original Amazon, so no worries there. At least nothing thus far.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I like Ryuki's ending a whole bunch.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

nerdman42 posted:

Watched the first few episodes of a bunch of Kamen Riders to see if any gripped my interest, so here's my thoughts.

555 - extremely depressing from the on-set. Yuuji's life really sucks and there's clearly no real solution without moving on/finding a new purpose... which Smart Brain is all too ready to exploit. I'm not 100% sure this one is for me though: I'm not too invested in the actual Kamen Rider

Ryuki - that kinda mirror poo poo freaks me out but the entire mechanic of jumping into another dimension to fight monsters is pretty rad. There's something really charming about how slow and pathetic Shinji is. Not really sure how a Rider War's gonna work out, but I feel like Shinji's gonna go fairly Gentaro with it. Probably gonna try this one

Kuuga - 410 billion dead cops. Are there a lot of goofy idealistic Riders? I think Gentaro is my favorite of the bunch, but Godai is kind of supposed to be an everyman. He had a much harder time with the suit than even Shinji. Miiiight be worth a longer look, I only caught one episode.

Agito- I love a good murder mystery and there's definitely a trace of that here. Normally I don't care for jurisdiction stuff but the first episodes has a rivalry between cops and an "Unidentified Life Form Squad" that was strangely compelling.

Amazons - So I didn't know Amazon and Amazons were different things and was very confused when it looked so much more modern than the rest of these. I think I really like this one. I usually prefer some joy to my Rider, but the sheer darkness in this one is so fascinating to watch unfold. Haruka is a very different protagonist than I'm used to. He's quiet and almost self-loathing in a way. Jin is an extremely unsettling character that I expect to stab a stranger at any minute. They've probably got one of the worst rivalries between Riders I've seen. The task force seems to have way more personality and story relevance than I expected. It's also only 13 episodes, so I'm definitely gonna wrap this one up. I assume the shows are connected, but do I need to catch Amazon for some context?

Is there a general recommendation for which ones to keep with?

Hey, that's pretty much how I started my rider journey (although, I watched Decade first. Don't do that, you're fine.) The ones that I feel are solid enough to enjoy were Kuuga, Agito and Amazons. I loving hated Faiz and couldn't get past episode 6, the characters were just so relentlessly lovely that it turned me off the series completely (the suit designs are still some of my favorites though, so whatcha gonna do?). I actually haven't seen Ryuki yet, but it's on my list.

Amazons is excellent, through and through. It's the most Showa of all of the modern riders and it is awesome. I really can't wait for more.

You should watch Amazon even though it has nothing to do with Amazons because it great, also Stronger and V3. And if you want to watch in real time, X is getting released regularly now!

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

If this fucker's final form weapon is a Bop It, I'm gonna scream.

Could you imagine all the sounds the belt would make!?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Amazons does not have anything to do with Amazon beyond designs to make that clear.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Amazons does not have anything to do with Amazon beyond designs to make that clear.

well, and the biting. There's an awful lot of biting for a Kamen rider show, but not nearly enough for Amazon.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Amazons is real good, but the talky belts feel really out of place. The initial "ALPHA/OMEGA" callout is fine, but "VIOLENT PUNISH" is just a little too goofy for the feel they seemed to be going for with the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

well, and the biting. There's an awful lot of biting for a Kamen rider show, but not nearly enough for Amazon.

Well there is a second season coming next year so I suppose they could still drop a reference or two to the original if they wanted to (I'd kind of perfer it stay self-contained though I did like the original Amazon).

As for Faiz, I'll just say that it only gets worse as it goes along. In fact, one of my main complaints about the show is how unlikeable a lot of the main characters were (hell, the secondary Rider could practically be considered one of the show's primary villians), the Orphenoch trio weren't too bad though.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

If you don't mind the slower style of Kuuga, stick with it. It's a great show, one of the best.

Ryuki...how do you feel about, say, not so great endings

I don't mind either of those things, so it seems like I'll keep on them

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

There really is a LOT of biting and cannibalism though, good god

Larryb posted:

As for Faiz, I'll just say that it only gets worse as it goes along.

Yikes. Yeah, I'll keep my distance for now

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

nerdman42 posted:

Yuuji's story, and the rest of the cast, are more interesting than the main Rider. Not to say that Takumi is wholly uninteresting, because his interactions with everyone is how it all develops. One of the things I loved about 555 was that besides the Rider & his friends (Good Guys) and Smart Brain (Bad Guys) there is this third faction of Kiba and a couple of others who are clear third side that doesn't fall into the traditional dynamic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Emu's personality still feels really thin, but this is starting to feel like a "watch for the secondary characters" series, so I think I can deal with that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Faiz has the absolute worst ending of any of the Heisei Riders, I feel pretty confident saying that. Hibiki's is the only real challenge, but at least Hibki's ending made sense and wasn't a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Twelve by Pies posted:

Faiz has the absolute worst ending of any of the Heisei Riders, I feel pretty confident saying that. Hibiki's is the only real challenge, but at least Hibki's ending made sense and wasn't a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

What about Decade's "Please watch our movie it will really explain things *It Didn't*" or Ryuki's "Lets keep resetting things in the movie/special to see if something satisfying sticks *Not really*". Looking back at a lot of the early Heisei's to Decade I can say one thing about all the shows after them. For all the terrible faults the likes of Wizard or Ghost had, at least they learned to have a definitive conclusion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

What about Decade's "Please watch our movie it will really explain things *It Didn't*" or Ryuki's "Lets keep resetting things in the movie/special to see if something satisfying sticks *Not really*". Looking back at a lot of the early Heisei's to Decade I can say one thing about all the shows after them. For all the terrible faults the likes of Wizard or Ghost had, at least they learned to have a definitive conclusion.

Not to mention the fact that the movie that was previewed at the end of Decade was almost nothing like the one we actually got (I think orignially it was supposed to be its own thing and not part of a crossover), to the point where they later aired a "Director's Cut" of the final two episodes in order to make the show's ending tie into it a bit better.

In fact, as I understand it, the entire reason Decade exists at all is that they wanted to do a shorter series to buy time and celebrate the upcoming anniversary as otherwise we would have gone straight from Kiva to W (which was already in production by the time the former was ending).

Unrelated but I can confirm now that Ultraman Ginga S is better than the original in pretty much every aspect. The story is better, the pacing is better, the fights are better and the characters are better (in fact they got rid of most of the old cast except Ginga, Hikaru, and one of the villain characters, instead bringing in the more traditional team dynamic from previous shows). It's not perfect but it is much closer to what the first half should have been like.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

Emu's personality still feels really thin, but this is starting to feel like a "watch for the secondary characters" series, so I think I can deal with that.

Yeah. There's not a lot to his character beyond what's been pointed out while all of the other riders seem at least marginally more interesting. There's also a lot of characters that I'm getting a bit confused at this point.

• Locked thread