Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

hard tabs

i'm pro spaces, anti tabs, but also love golang and use hardtabs there because why the gently caress would you care with a savehook and an editor that isnt poo poo

I mean I'm not going to argue that one is inherently superior to the other, because it's kind of stupid and arbitrary. I just wanted to see if the trend of me disagreeing with Pike on everything extended to spacing (since the topic of gofmt came up).

The people in this thread who use Go seem to like it, so who knows maybe it is actually good. I think I would just get so frustrated using it though because everything about its design irks me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
gofmt is a good idea, it's just a shame they had to pick all the wrong options to standardise on

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I'm saying this as someone who agrees strongly with all of your points, I just don't care as much about them now that i've actually worked with the language. Yes, it is backwards and stupid. Despite that, it's somehow good. That's why it's an interesting language. It's doing something right, I'm just not sure what. I would personally jump at the opportunity to work on a migration like that, because it sounds interesting, and will probably expose flaws and strengths in both languages.

But like I said: You clearly have the right perspective. Do what makes you happy. If working with go will make you unhappy, don't do it. But if you decide to stick around, it might not be as terrible as you're imagining.
my theory is golang is refreshing for some people if they were dealing with a language where you manually janitor memory, a dynamically typed lang, or an OOP-lang project that drank the koolaid, so they are willing to overlook how terrible of a language golang actually is

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a statically typed language that cannot provide some reasonably type safe form of the map function et al cannot ever qualify as good ityool 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
holy gently caress i just used time machine mode in magit for the first time

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

time machine mode is loving legit

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

comedyblissoption posted:

my theory is golang is refreshing for some people if they were dealing with a language where you manually janitor memory, a dynamically typed lang, or an OOP-lang project that drank the koolaid, so they are willing to overlook how terrible of a language golang actually is

C# is the only mainstream programming language I can think of that doesn't fit those three categories, but maybe that just proves your point. Unless you're coming from a great language like Rust or Erlang (which you probably arent), go will be an improvement to the shitpile you're working with. And your boss might even let you use it (or force you).

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 14, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

a statically typed language that cannot provide some reasonably type safe form of the map function et al cannot ever qualify as good ityool 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

this is also true

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just cannot comprehend the mind of someone who doesn't think map is the best.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i started using perl a bazillion years ago because it had "map" and "grep" (filter). those features were such a boon to my productivity that the speed and the awfulness of cpan and the lack of type safety didn't matter

now i can have those features in type-checked languages, too.

thanks, 21st century

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use where and select but they are extremely good regardless of what you call them

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
map is beautiful in all of its forms

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
map, filter, reduce are the primitives every language should have. gently caress 'for' and 'while'

it's sad that scripting languages are the closest to this ideal. perl, ruby, and even god drat python (list comprehensions) do better than most of the normal tools in our industry

how sad is that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually haskell and c# are both excellent at it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

its me, im the blub programmer

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

welp, go has been made official language for all new development. Existing stuff in Erlang and Ruby (98% of the platform code) and Elixir is now defacto legacy. :sigh:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
goddamn

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

map, filter, reduce are the primitives every language should have. gently caress 'for' and 'while'

it's sad that scripting languages are the closest to this ideal. perl, ruby, and even god drat python (list comprehensions) do better than most of the normal tools in our industry

how sad is that

none of my langs have them. what am i missing out on.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

compilers they come together
plangs they fall apart
no one can stop us now
cause we are all made of vars

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

collections that are not actively hostile to manipulation

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

now try blame mode

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

thought you used C#? it's other names for .Select / .Where / whatever the hell the other one is

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Bloody posted:

collections that are not actively hostile to manipulation

who needs maps when you can just use built-in collections that dynamically resize with tons of overhead?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Asymmetrikon posted:

thought you used C#? it's other names for .Select / .Where / whatever the hell the other one is

linq is banned at epic, because of course it is

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

also I can only iterate through a collection with a for loop and nothing else

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Epic does a lot of recruiting around here where they like to talk about the fact that they have this really hip campus. Are they pretty much just trying to suck new graduates in for a year of 80 hour work weeks before they die from exhaustion? Because having a campus with all the stuff they talk about in it seems kind of over-the-top for a place that has employees that go home at night.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Bloody posted:

goddrat son

are generics banned? they should be, as they cause unnecessary increases in code size, and decrease performance due to jit compilation and more pressure on cpu caches and whatnot

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Bloody posted:

i love when businesses ban arbitrary sections of languages for no good reason

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

i love when businesses ban arbitrary sections of languages for no good reason

It's not arbitrary, it's "the sections that no one here knows nor cares to learn"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how sad is that

python literally has map() and filter() built in

reduce() can be done, but not as nicely

EDIT: I'm a liar, python also has reduce()

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 14, 2016

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how sad is that

Java 8 ftw

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i unironically think java8 is good, and i say that as a fan of erlang, rust and haskell

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Asymmetrikon posted:

.Aggregate

rarely used by itself, though technically EVERY linq function can be expressed as an .aggregate() call modulo some performance benefits like early termination (.FirstOrDefault) or reduced allocation (.Sum, .Max)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

"kids today are so lazy they don't even want to write for loops"

how about now

(this is what at least some people on golang-nuts actually believe)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how sad is that

List expressions are p. nice, but generator, set and dict expressions are the poo poo.

(Which I don't get to use, because of course AWS Lambda is stuck with Python 2.7) Welp, apparently I was wrong the whole time, 2.7 has them. They just pollute outside scope.

• Locked thread