Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i just picked up the 3 black monday murders issues out so far. :staredog:

that third issue is visually striking. viktor with the shadows looking ghoulish. the panels going down with andrew wright slamming his head into the desk. horrifying. cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's real refreshing that a 50 page Hickman book is actually coming out regularly.

A music video has been released with animation based on Jeff Lemire's art from a multimedia colab he's doing.

quote:

“The Stranger” is the first full chapter and song of The Secret Path. Adapted from Gord Downie’s album and Jeff Lemire’s graphic novel, The Secret Path chronicles the heartbreaking story of Chanie Wenjack’s residential school experience and subsequent death as he escapes and attempts to walk 600 km home to his family.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2VzjkwtFc

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's real refreshing that a 50 page Hickman book is actually coming out regularly.

A music video has been released with animation based on Jeff Lemire's art from a multimedia colab he's doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2VzjkwtFc

http://secretpath.ca/

This is being done with Gord Downie, lead singer of The Tragically Hip and terminal cancer patient. He reached out to Lemire to do a graphic novel to go with his album based on a true story about an aboriginal boy in Canada from a few decades ago. The cbc is also airing a show on October 23rd based on Lemire's art that will be animated.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Monstress and Black Monday Murders both fall into the category of "I feel like I'm missing something" when I read them, maybe because I've got a memory like a sieve and can't hold their respective backstories and mythologies in my head but goddamned if they're not both loving enthralling and an absolute treat for the eyes. And both in the same week.

I also really look forward to Secret Path (though it feels weird to say you're looking forward to something that will certainly be depressing). Also I didn't really know much Hip before the (possibly) final concert, and now I'm downright obsessed. The downbeat stuff is my favourite so I'm hoping for at least one track on the album that I'll like enough to run it completely into the ground.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

maybe because I've got a memory like a sieve and can't hold their respective backstories

Well, if they would release on a predictable schedule...

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm still on the fence about the Black Monday Murders, like Diet Poison said, I feel like I'm missing something with it, so rather than creepy the thing with the redacted pages creating a message, particularly as the single words not being redacted just didn't make sense except as an attempt to be creepy just felt like weirdness for weirdness' sake.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Rare it is that I make this criticism of a writer of any kind but Hickman needs more exposition. He gets caught up in his grandiloquent characters making broad pronouncements and you're left to wonder what the gently caress is happening. East of West is frustratingly vague after 27 issues. We're not on the level of Morning Glories here but a bit more clarity couldn't hurt. His broad ideas and scenes are still cool though so he's still a must buy name for me.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Would it be optimistic to assume that Millar's Reborn won't be a miniseries? I haven't found anything that says it would be, yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's definitely a miniseries. Greg Capullo is off to do some big Scott Snyder/DC project.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So after bitching about saga I just picked up volume 6 and it is good again, despite the hazel unnecessarily nearly running into a dick, it at least belonged to a character that could be interesting later on

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just started/caught up with Saga and The Autumnlands. I should have learned my lesson not to read an ongoing comic after Hellboy/BRPD because I am bad about following update schedules. And after waiting years to finally binge on Fables, now that I'm done they're releasing a followup with Everafter. At least I can start on Chew soon.

Some good comics that are complete:

Sandman, Fables, Transmetropolitan, Y the Last Man, The Unwritten, Ex Machina, Bone, DMZ, Sweet Tooth, Preacher, The Maxxx, The Invisibles.

Not sure what to read next. The Spire and Blacksad are on my list along with Chew, since those will be wrapped up. Could start East of West, but man I don't want to start another ongoing I know is gonna be painful.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Anyone else kind of underwhelmed by Kill or Be Killed? I like all the other bru/phillips stuff, this just seems too "high school". Waiting for a twist, might drop.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm liking each successive issue less.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is Fables really good? Maybe I should retry it. I got up to the evil old guy and finally the hamfisted politics and Israel-Palestine analogy got too much for me.
Hell I found the setting and characters charming enough to play that one telltale game tho

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is Fables really good? Maybe I should retry it. I got up to the evil old guy and finally the hamfisted politics and Israel-Palestine analogy got too much for me.
Hell I found the setting and characters charming enough to play that one telltale game tho

Yeah that seems like a good place to stop. The first few arcs are pretty great but it goes downhill fairly rapidly around issue 50 as I recall.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
1 - 75 are 'good' to 'great', depending on how much Willingham's right wing beliefs stick in your craw. The rest aren't awful, but the main plot has basically been concluded, and things kind of meander.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Motor Crush interview with Babs Tarr and preview.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...bellious-women/

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
So "Secret Path" is completely dialogue-free, it's just Lemire's art telling the story, interspersed with Gord's lyrics pages. Still manages to be completely heartbreaking. I fully recommend it if you're ever in the mood to get really fuckin' sad for a while. Play the album as you look through it, obviously.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Roth posted:

Edit- Also, really, the dragon jizz and drugs were too much in Saga? We're talking about the same comic that featured two people with TVs for heads graphically having sex, as well as one of those characters later giving birth in explicit detail, right? I believe that was also after a flashback showing The Will having sex with the half-spider lady.

The sex earlier on felt like it was there because the story prompted it; as Saga went on, it got less "this is because the story demands it" and more "this is because Fiona Staples really likes drawing cocks."

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The sex earlier on felt like it was there because the story prompted it; as Saga went on, it got less "this is because the story demands it" and more "this is because Fiona Staples really likes drawing cocks."

Yeah, the close-up glistening cock in the masturbation scene in 36(?) was a bit strange. I get the phallic spaceship connection but it didn't add much. I still enjoy Saga, though. It seems a bit more on track recently and I'm looking forward to whatever is being foreshadowed going down on Phang.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well, she spent months drawing Archie and they wouldn't let her draw even Reggie's dick, so can you blame her?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have no problem with the sex but that whole arc about the novel that brings the two lead characters together was so dumb I jumped ship on the book

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not really feeling Surgeon X after issue 2, too messy, too many threads going on.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Grabbed the first two issues of The Fix a while back, liked it but forgot about it. Has anyone kept up with it and would you recommend catching up?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Raffles posted:

Grabbed the first two issues of The Fix a while back, liked it but forgot about it. Has anyone kept up with it and would you recommend catching up?

I just read the trade and it was great.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

It's very good, it's more of a funny book than a narrative book tho

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chew sure is heading for a pretty big downer of an ending.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This doesn't give a date, but apparently Young Terrorists #2 is finally coming out as an 80 page comic and will complete the story.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/29/young-terrorists-1-goes-to-3rd-printing-and-the-very-late-2-goes-triple-sized/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kim Newman announced he's doing a five-issue comic story spinoff of his Anno Dracula novels for Titan Comics next year. I love Newman, so can't wait for this.

https://johnnyalucard.com/2016/10/28/an-anno-dracula-comic-miniseries-is-due-from-titan-comics-next-year/

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well I guess the Prophet series is over?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Southern Bastard does not come out nearly enough

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Synthbuttrange posted:

Well I guess the Prophet series is over?

I've been out of the loop for months. Did it finish its run, or has the release schedule become nonexistent?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It finished, but nothing ever finishes :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Mayday, Motor Girl or Motro this week?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Can someone summarise the newest issue of wic+div for me, I tried reading all the stuff and lost interest. When will comics people realise that "Prose issues" are not what we buy your comic for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Key bits (from memory):
-The Pantheon moved from Valhalla to London
-Baal is the de facto leader of the Pantheon
-Woden is a creepy misogynist
-They cooperated with police in investigating Ananke
-They're not entirely sure if they'll actually die at the end of two years

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Endless Mike posted:

Key bits (from memory):
-The Pantheon moved from Valhalla to London
-Baal is the de facto leader of the Pantheon
-Woden is a creepy misogynist
-They cooperated with police in investigating Ananke
-They're not entirely sure if they'll actually die at the end of two years

-Woden is building machines to synthesize other gods' performances
-More foreshadowing that Baphomet will be the doom of the Morrigan
-Baal, Persephone, and Minerva are living at the new headquarters
-Baal and Persephone are officially an item

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think how they did that issue was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Roth posted:

I don't think how they did that issue was a good idea.

I liked it a lot, though I can see why it would turn some people off. But wicdiv has always tried to push what they can do with the medium. Look at the clubbing issue or the Tara issue. Or the Woden remix issue. I think they get it right a lot more than they get it wrong and I think the missteps are worth it for the times when they really nail
It. Maybe this issue would have worked better as a special, rather than the start of an arc, but I thought it looked loving fantastic, delivered a surprising amount of plot, and was a fun read.

Plus, the last six issues were just a big old superhero bust-up, so a change of pace is welcome.