Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"Write as you speak and read as it is written."

The best rule ever imagined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
DNR seized Vodyane near mariupol.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=47.132520&lon=37.772541&z=13&m=b&show=/16540710

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 14, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian "shitpost factory" in St. Petersburg is under fraud investigation by local authorities. :allears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian "shitpost factory" in St. Petersburg is under fraud investigation by local authorities. :allears:

Can't wait.

So the former Soviet countries decided they still needed a military organization to belong to and created the CSTO. Yesterday the leadership of the CSTO was passed on to Belarus.

http://eng.belta.by/president/view/lukashenko-csto-doesnt-have-to-wait-for-natos-recognition-95415-2016/

Lukashenko had this to say about NATO not taking the CSTO seriously.

Batka posted:

All of us have stated that nobody wants to recognize the CSTO, particularly NATO. It seems we are not the right sort. I was listening to this talk, thinking that they will never recognize us if we beg for their recognition. We have to force them to recognize our organization.

I'm sure NATO will get right on that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What does "recognizing the CSTO" entail exactly? Do they want a NATO spokesman to say, "uh, so you exist. how about that." ? I don't see what they could want. The CSTO even has an observer status in the UN General Assembly (NATO doesn't by the way) so they can't claim not to have international recognition.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The worst and most insidious form of invasion performed by NATO. Being completely ignored by them.

"Who?" *Entire country detonates and honour is besmirched*

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

One of the more notorious DNR commanders, Motorola, got blown up in an elevator, shortly after his squad got involved in the LNR power struggle.

Rest in piss, you goblin

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

\
This would have been a great logo for the evil mirror universe starfleet.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

fatherboxx posted:

One of the more notorious DNR commanders, Motorola, got blown up in an elevator, shortly after his squad got involved in the LNR power struggle.

Rest in piss, you goblin

Hero of the Soviet Union

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Is Motorola dead for real? I feel like he's been declared dead a few times

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
He exploded? Guess he should have been nicknamed Samsung.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoah drat. Been a while since we heard about that guy. What power struggle was it?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cat Mattress posted:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

:eyepop:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Man I wish that war criminal got to see the hague.

I guess there is still hope for givi

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

Looks like he got sold off to the Chinese.

Wait no they're not involved, joke ruined.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

Whoah drat. Been a while since we heard about that guy. What power struggle was it?

:shittypop:

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
DNR head says he got iced by ukrainian commandos.
Apparently, Poroshenko threatened him recently, for executing a POW.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

woodenchicken posted:

DNR head says he got iced by ukrainian commandos.
Apparently, Poroshenko threatened him recently, for executing a POW.
I doubt we'll ever know the over-under on the incident, but it seems odd that Poroshenko would go on and give special attention to a middle-wing DNR field commander 2 years after the primary incidents. You have to keep in mind that they can't just admit to being a ragtag warband either.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

DNR field commanders really don't like Igor Plotnitsky (or (((Plotnitsky))) as freedom fighters like to remind), the head of LNR because they are rival gangs contesting territory, russian imports and extortion from locals. A number of prominent leaders got killed earlier this year, and both heads of "People Republics" survived hit attempts (both made with IEDs) in August. Obviously, they prefer to blame every death on Ukranian agents, which is very flattering to SBU.

Another likely version is Kremlin cleaning house of true believers/setting false flags for re-escalation, but I wouldn't bet on it, too complicated for Russians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
What a weird situation. They can't admit they're just gangs having a turf war so they have to keep giving credit to their "official" enemy each time one of them gets offed.

"Oh yeah, Ukranian commandos totally killed all these high profile dudes, what utter elite super badass bastards, I really hate those awesome guys and their ability to kill us"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently there's a video floating around (probably on LiveLeak, YouTube link I found got deleted) with some 4 neo-nazi spooks from Misanthropic Division taking responsibility for the murder of Motorola, and threatening Zakharchenko and Plotnitskiy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Bank accounts of Russian state broadcaster Russia Today frozen in UK, network's chief executive says
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37677020

Is it WW3 time?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No, they've already got themselves into troubles with British bank BBVA last year, who froze incoming money flow to their account in connection with EU sanctions, and they've also got an Ofcom (British media regulator) investigation on them since last month for spreading false information.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I also just complained to OFCOM about them about this video they broadcast me on the morning of the JIT press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lwPS_1E2w

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Brown Moses posted:

I also just complained to OFCOM about them about this video they broadcast me on the morning of the JIT press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3lwPS_1E2w
What can they do with it?

Edit: that would be NICE

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dwesa posted:

What can they do with it?

If they agree it violates their fairness rules they can go as far as shutting down RT, and my understanding is RT has really pushed their luck in that regard recently.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

So what's the likelihood of tit for tat retaliation (Russia banning the BBC or something)? And will it matter?

Tigey fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 17, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There likely will be some retaliation, but doubtfully banning BBC, so they can be all :smug: about "and you lynch freedom of speech".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I may be wrong on this, but I doubt that the BBC is allowed to broadcast in Russia.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"If Bellingcat isn't a state agent then how did it get RT banned in the UK? :smug:"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I may be wrong on this, but I doubt that the BBC is allowed to broadcast in Russia.
BBC did broadcast on radio in Russia from 1946 until 2011. They continue satellite broadcasting and running a news website in Russian.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, they've already got themselves into troubles with British bank BBVA last year, who froze incoming money flow to their account in connection with EU sanctions, and they've also got an Ofcom (British media regulator) investigation on them since last month for spreading false information.

BBVA is Spanish, actually.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

P-Mack posted:

BBVA is Spanish, actually.
Either way the closure of incoming transactions was related purely to EU sanction against Russia (they were suspecting Kiselev in transferring money through RT UK), so this doesn't change much in the situation.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Any truth to the rumors of heavy smuggling going on inside Mariupol? Police dispatched finding various ammunitiom

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
BM ur my fev poster

keep on keepin on broski

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like RT got its bank accounts back.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
On 14th October it was revealed Germany is planning a fleet expansion, mostly as a reaction to what Russia is doing. Some emergency money gets used to double our corvette-fleet from 5 to 10 ships over the next few years. There's also a massive increase in the budget promised to pay for the shipbuilding program, but that's been postponed to after the next election for obvious reasons.

Something the article doesn't mention: For some years we have been building a new class of combat frigates large enough to classify as cruisers (~7200 GRTs), the first ships will start getting commissioned around the time the new corvettes will arrive. The Bundesmarine has been incredibly stretched and stressed out for some time thanks to our governments giving out more and more commitments but not more money. Looks like Russia's new aggressiveness accidentally saved our fleet from slowly collapsing, thanks for the new ships, Putin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Looks like it never lost them in the first place:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/rbs-denies-russian-broadcaster-rts-bank-account-has-been-frozen-1586872