Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I enjoyed playing Dead Space 3 with a friend, but it took until the DLC for them to deliver the experience the full game should of been regarding co-op horror. I'll always be sad when I think about how Dead Space is a dead franchise now. Even if 3 wasn't as good as the first two, it was far from the worst thing to play with a friend. Yet due to it being a better game in co-op and being only okay at best solo it went and killed the series. :smith:

I just hope we get a proper LP of Dead Space 2 someday. I'd love to see them do both, but since Pat likely will refuse to play DS1 if it isn't on PC I get the feeling we'll never see the first. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What do you mean? Dead space 1 is on pc.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Tae posted:

What do you mean? Dead space 1 is on pc.

At the start of the DS3 video Pat made it sound like there's some big controller issue that'd make it hard to LP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Judging by the comments in the video we just need an Ultra Despair Girls-style disaster to bring out the Deaf Space 2 LP

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dead space 3 is a funny co-op game and also the weapon customization is good as gently caress

having one player hallucinate dumb rear end poo poo is also a very good concept

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 14, 2016

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gotta ask in case I missed it but has the audio been hosed up on youtube for the last few shitstorms or is everyone else on the internet suddenly improving or what's going on.

It sounds like they're talking into tin cans.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Backup mic audio was used for a few recordings

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ruggington posted:

dead space 3 is a funny co-op game and also the weapon customization is good as gently caress

having one player hallucinate dumb rear end poo poo is also a very good concept

I too love Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So I think I finally figured out what my problem with Omikron is. And this is aside from the horrible graphics, lovely(?) control, constant fourth wall-breaking and bland gameplay.

It's the setting. It tries to be 1984-esque with brainwashing and fascism, but at the same time it's like something a child thought up for his first writing assignment in second grade. "There are hovercars! And the beer is called kloops! And everyone has a arm computer called a sneak! And there is magic but also advanced technology! And the enemies are demons!" It's just one big soup where every idea was thrown in, fleshed out a little and shoved into the setting and story with no regards to cohesion. It doesn't help that the colour palette is "brown, gray and white with a bit of orange." Even if happier colours were supressed by the government or whatever that supercomputuer is, the rebels' supposed headquarters has the same bland poo poo look.

It's all one big unapproachable mess and once you think you got a handle on things they throw another element in there to "expand" the world but in reality it just makes it feel like less of a real place and more like a trip through someone's stream of consciousness.

I'm guessing the best friends aren't going for maximum world building in regards to reading all the "lore" and finding detail and such, but who can blame them when everything looks the same and nothing is explained?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There's only one thing I'm fond of in your list of Omikron's traits, and that's the sneak. I like that it's called a sneak. I think it's a good name for that kind of storage device.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Foxhound posted:

So I think I finally figured out what my problem with Omikron is. And this is aside from the horrible graphics, lovely(?) control, constant fourth wall-breaking and bland gameplay.

It's the setting. It tries to be 1984-esque with brainwashing and fascism, but at the same time it's like something a child thought up for his first writing assignment in second grade. "There are hovercars! And the beer is called kloops! And everyone has a arm computer called a sneak! And there is magic but also advanced technology! And the enemies are demons!" It's just one big soup where every idea was thrown in, fleshed out a little and shoved into the setting and story with no regards to cohesion. It doesn't help that the colour palette is "brown, gray and white with a bit of orange." Even if happier colours were supressed by the government or whatever that supercomputuer is, the rebels' supposed headquarters has the same bland poo poo look.

It's all one big unapproachable mess and once you think you got a handle on things they throw another element in there to "expand" the world but in reality it just makes it feel like less of a real place and more like a trip through someone's stream of consciousness.

I'm guessing the best friends aren't going for maximum world building in regards to reading all the "lore" and finding detail and such, but who can blame them when everything looks the same and nothing is explained?

It also has one of the worst fonts I've ever seen a game use

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Imagine if there was no faq

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It also has one of the worst fonts I've ever seen a game use

Yeah what the hell was the logic behind that? Oh it's in english but to make it look otherworldly it uses this hosed up stylized font FOR NO REASON that takes forever to decipher and adds literally NOTHING. I mean it works when it's a single sign on the street, but entire paragraphs? Shut the gently caress up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's the David Cage voice made manifest in text.

"I did the bad font."

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I love the Omikron LP so much. I've watch a few of the episodes twice.

Serious kudos to these guys. I don't know how many friendships would survive an ordeal like this.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Omikron is such a blessing.

Also, PSVR stream should happen today if anyone wants to see the best friends ball belt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The chrono trigger lp is pretty entertaining so far outside of matt's sandbagging of everything and when pat tries to fake like he doesn't know anything about what's going to happen, good that they stopped that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.twitch.tv/superbestfriendsplay

PSVR fuckthrough

Pat Fuqboivin puts on VR headset, loses his mind when he sees his now has alien hands.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 14, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man them using it is at least entertaining enough, but god is VR a gimmick I'm already tired of before it's even gotten anywhere. I feel like these games are always just gonna feel like tech demos and LOOK AT OUR GRAAAAFFIX spectacles.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think VR is a gimmick at the level we have it now, but we're still in the "nice curiosity" phase. Until it's more affordable it's going to be a niche thing but as soon as that happens poo poo's gonna blow up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Predator Woolie is worth the gimmick, tho.

I think VR has potential, but yeah, Year 1 will be sheer demos, like PS4 and that game that was just cutscenes in london with werewolves or whatever, except more demos and only one or two game games.

REZ looks AMAZING
woolie is murdering all of us

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 14, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The issue is that until there's enough adopters we won't see THAT title. gently caress, if I were HTC/Sony/Oculus I'd dump a ton of money on whoever comes up to me with a good VR game idea and just include it SMW-style with my visor.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Matt is really feeling the vr in rush of blood

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"You can definitely see the cleavage, trust me I know"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

"You can definitely see the cleavage, trust me I know"

This is why we keep Liam on the payroll.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Castlevania Judgment, god bless

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I am sad we didn't get to see the absolute poo poo that is Time Reaper.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Shoot I'll probably buy Death Road to Canada now. Seems kinda basic but also pretty fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
holy gently caress tonight's shitstorm

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dias posted:

I don't think VR is a gimmick at the level we have it now, but we're still in the "nice curiosity" phase. Until it's more affordable it's going to be a niche thing but as soon as that happens poo poo's gonna blow up.

that"ll never happen

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I want to know where Pat got the idea that the original Ring was about pneumonia.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Genocyber posted:

I want to know where Pat got the idea that the original Ring was about pneumonia.

Quick research tells me the original Ring curse has to do with a psychic girl that got raped by a dude with smallpox, then killed in that well. She caught that smallpox and the curse is some sort of magical reaction between that and her powers.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dias posted:

Quick research tells me the original Ring curse has to do with a psychic girl that got raped by a dude with smallpox, then killed in that well. She caught that smallpox and the curse is some sort of magical reaction between that and her powers.

The original curse? Is the movie based on a true story or some novel or what?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Foxhound posted:

The original curse? Is the movie based on a true story or some novel or what?

The Japanese movie is based on a novel, but they both have the "smallpox mixed with RAGE MAGIC" thing. The American Ring doesn't have all this bullshit, IIRC. I actually never watched the original, or read the novel, so I got to learn some interesting things about it checking Wikipedia. Apparently Sadako was intersex.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dias posted:

The Japanese movie is based on a novel, but they both have the "smallpox mixed with RAGE MAGIC" thing. The American Ring doesn't have all this bullshit, IIRC. I actually never watched the original, or read the novel, so I got to learn some interesting things about it checking Wikipedia. Apparently Sadako was intersex.

Also you die because the video tape causes your body to start growing a fetus (that has her exact DNA) in your bloodstream IIRC

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds like silly sequel retcons.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Patrick Boivin ‏@AngriestPat posted:

Omikron today has reached new heights of being the worst game ever, surpassing even our lowest expectations. Need VR to forget
When Omikron is so bad you have to use VR to escape it.
When are we getting Detroit VR Edition?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dias posted:

Huh, I thought it was just Japanese folklore ghost shenanigans.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just looked up the ending to Sadako vs. Kayako and uhh, I was not expecting it to end with them fusing into one super ghost child. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Rhonne posted:

I just looked up the ending to Sadako vs. Kayako and uhh, I was not expecting it to end with them fusing into one super ghost child. :psyduck:

All I wanna do
Is watch you turn into
a Giant Ghost Child
A Giant Ghost Child!