Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

fenrif posted:

Point me to where he does or says something indicating he's a white supremacist, please.

AFAIK he just paid people to make some pro-trump memes?
Really, the "pay me to do my own homework" lazy?

Okay, did you know he was at a Trump rally wearing a bad shirt? Cause you're not gonna get more than that because of the mod lock on further discourse on the subject.

Poetic Justice posted:

No way man, just listen and believe.

:gizz: Gotta defend your Lord and master with your life and dignity.

Why can't you just acknowledge he did a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I did a bad thing once.

I had an opinion on the internet. The world will never be the same, but luckily with Opinionated Frog Meme-funding VR creators, I can pretend it never happened. Thanks, Meme-man.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

bloodysabbath posted:

I love Carmack's response. Chuckling and going about your day is the absolute correct response to a 12 year old boy trying to play gotcha about dumb poo poo.

17 or 18, but yes, looks young. http://www.recode.net/2016/4/8/11585986/gizmodo-hires-high-school-senior-william-turton

The story reads like he was there without press credentials or more likely, people didn't believe his were correct and that William Turton, kid reporter, was actually with a mainstream tech journalism company. Especially with CEO Iribe's comment of “I...I can’t,” “I have to go find my mom, sorry.”

Part of me wonders what people want. It sounds like Facebook has had a long long chat with Luckey and he's either gone (more than he already was) or been told to lay low and not do that again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fordan posted:

Part of me wonders what people want. It sounds like Facebook has had a long long chat with Luckey and he's either gone (more than he already was) or been told to lay low and not do that again.

I think people want to know the answer to that question. It is not dumb for a games journalist to ask the company this - it's an extremely obvious question that they should have had a better answer for.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
"games journalist" is a contradiction in terms at this point.

AndrewP posted:

I think people want to know the answer to that question. It is not dumb for a games journalist to ask the company this - it's an extremely obvious question that they should have had a better answer for.

When the question is "I DEMAND YOU FIRE THIS MAN FOR BEING ON THE WRONG TEAM!" I think you can get away with not having an answer.

Also, I found those wierd gloves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sif7cY8qwjM

DEXMO!

I wonder what happens when someone designs some sort of a virus to force Dexmo to dislocate everyones fingers?

fenrif fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 14, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fenrif posted:

When the question is "I DEMAND YOU FIRE THIS MAN FOR BEING ON THE WRONG TEAM!" I think you can get away with not having an answer.

That was obviously not the question. The question he wanted to know was, "what's going on with the founder and, up until now, public face of your company, who isn't even here this year?"

I'm really wondering how anyone could to go to this thing as a reporter and NOT ask this.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

AndrewP posted:

That was obviously not the question. The question he wanted to know was, "what's going on with the founder and, up until now, public face of your company, who isn't even here this year?"

I'm really wondering how anyone could to go to this thing as a reporter and NOT ask this.

Oh that's easy. I can answer that. It's pretty much a moot point.

What's going on with him is that he expressed an unpopular political opinion in his private life. He isn't there this year because people who are of the opposite political leaning tried to get him fired because of this.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Perhaps tech reporters should be more interested in the tech than the political affiliations of people who work for the company? Certainly there is a time and place for that type of investigation, but personally it holds about as much interest to me as what some celebrity du jour wore to go shopping yesterday. Some people seem rather invested in making it a bigger deal than it actually is - I question their motives.

Like others have already posted, you probably can't buy any technological device without indirectly giving money to someone who you consider to have awful political leanings.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

..btt posted:

Perhaps tech reporters should be more interested in the tech than the political affiliations of people who work for the company?

Oh, please. This was a big story. Ignoring it because you don't want Oculus to be mad at you is bad reporting.

..btt posted:

Certainly there is a time and place for that type of investigation

How about, maybe, the one time a year you're going to have the opportunity to directly ask questions to company executives?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Surely his white supremacist memes have surfaced by now? Where are they?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The third Reich did have some pretty good tech, maybe we should have left them alone and we'd have FTL options right now???

Cojawfee posted:

Surely his white supremacist memes have surfaced by now? Where are they?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

AndrewP posted:

Oh, please. This was a big story. Ignoring it because you don't want Oculus to be mad at you is bad reporting.

How about, maybe, the one time a year you're going to have the opportunity to directly ask questions to company executives?

I mean, to me it was clickbait and blown out of all proportion. That doesn't justify milking it further. I thought Luckey was a pretty terrible person before I heard this story and it has not changed my opinion of him. Honestly I think the fact that it was a "big story" in the first place is pretty damning of tech journalism in general.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

The third Reich did have some pretty good tech, maybe we should have left them alone and we'd have FTL options right now???

There is proof that Luckey funded the creation of this image?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, here: http://www.breitbart.com/

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Luckey is a libertarian, therefore he should burn. Mind you, American libertarians are all for removing the FDA (For a free market with poisonous foods), police departments (Civilian militias can govern their own areas), removing all safety nets for the sick/poor/hobbled (Only the strongest/richest survive), and believe companies should be uninhibited (Free to employ people through contract servitude.)

Ready Player One is like VR and Gary Johnson combined basically.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

AndrewP posted:

I can understand that. But it gets a lot more fun with the fact that California has laws that prohibit an employer from taking action against an employee for their political actions, which donating to and/or setting up Nimble America and going to a Trump rally clearly are. And I think it's a good law; employers shouldn't be allowed to dictate their employee's political beliefs. As far as I've seen, despite hanging out with some of the more notorious members of the alt-right, Luckey hasn't publicly said anything particularly misogynist or racist himself that would be cause for releasing him. The closest was a tweet his wife made about unchecked muslim immigration, but that's not him and it's arguably still political since it is a topic of the election.

So FB/Oculus is in a bad place, and I don't think there's much they can do. They can't fire or discipline Luckey for his political beliefs, Luckey hasn't publicly express the non-political opinions that many members of the alt-right seem to believe in so he can't be fired for those, but they have the press and game developers pressuring them to do something they aren't legally allowed to do. The only thing they can do is state their corporate beliefs and otherwise keep quiet and hope it all blows over, which is what you see part of in that story. I'm sure they're really hoping Luckey decides on his own to leave, but that'd sever his tie to his beloved VR.

fordan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2016

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Dexmo gonna make vr titties amazing.

That could be folded into all sort of weird and wonderful japanese creations.

Just you wait. That market makes things you didn't know you wanted until after your horrified and aroused recoil of disgust-lust.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

fenrif posted:

Also, I found those wierd gloves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sif7cY8qwjM

DEXMO!

I wonder what happens when someone designs some sort of a virus to force Dexmo to dislocate everyones fingers?

Those rock! They even make you look as dumb as I can imagine being possible. And also really expensive. Bet this sort of this is really taxing on even a high-end system with the headset to drive too.

Anyone tried it?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

fordan posted:

I can understand that. But it gets a lot more fun with the fact that California has laws that prohibit an employer from taking action against an employee for their political actions, which donating to and/or setting up Nimble America and going to a Trump rally clearly are.

That's hilarious, because if Luckey had his druthers this type of law wouldn't exist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Dexmo looks really cool but I'm going to need proof that it won't rip my fingers off my hands before I use one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Guys, Palmer Luckey being a 'cant stump the Trump' supporter and all that it entails (especially now lmao) is his prerogative and he can deal with the choices he's made.

Like sure you can say whatever you want about it but the more you give a poo poo what some tubby homeschooled idiot does and the more you try to make it seem like not a big deal the more you become that same tubby idiot. You being a contrarian chump just makes your a big ol idiot. The multimillionaire doesn't need you defense on the internet, he's an adult the can speak for himself.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 14, 2016

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

fordan posted:

So FB/Oculus is in a bad place, and I don't think there's much they can do. They can't fire or discipline Luckey for his political beliefs, Luckey hasn't publicly express the non-political opinions that many members of the alt-right seem to believe in so he can't be fired for those, but they have the press and game developers pressuring them to do something they aren't legally allowed to do.
They don't, though - as far as I've seen, no-one in the press and no game developers have ever said or even implied that Oculus should fire or discipline Luckey. Generally what people seem to want is either for Luckey to voluntarily step down - which obviously isn't going to happen - or for Oculus to publicly move him to a role in which he's no longer acting as the face of the company.

What Oculus seem to have done is privately move him to a role in which he's no longer the face of the company, but refuse to admit publicly that they've done so. Essentially they're taking the "sweep it under the rug option", refusing to take a position and hoping the issue will blow over without them needing to say something that alienates either their progressive customers or their racist customers. Which makes good business sense, but you can understand why, for example, the members of their touted diversity team might find it rather galling.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I also find it galling that 30-40% of the USA is planning to vote for the other candidate, but that's not related to a virtual reality / social media company. What other employees do amongst themselves or think privately or internal HR measures is not something that's made public as a company statement, ever.

Chuckling and changing the subject is the correct and politic move.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 14, 2016

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Dexmo looks really cool but I'm going to need proof that it won't rip my fingers off my hands before I use one.

If you break your hand in VR you break your hand in real life!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

The multimillionaire doesn't need you defense on the internet, he's an adult the can speak for himself.

He is, apparently not allowed to, though. His twitter and fakebook have been dead since this thing, his reddit has been dead since pepperidge farms. Looks like a senpai at FB finally took notice :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Truga posted:

He is, apparently not allowed to, though. His twitter and fakebook have been dead since this thing, his reddit has been dead since pepperidge farms. Looks like a senpai at FB finally took notice :v:

Yea that's what I mean, Oculus has responded and it wasn't 'do whatever you want Palmer'
It was 'shut the gently caress up idiot'
I imagine that Palmer doesn't understand why people are upset but maybe he at least understands the consequences of his actions. (yeah loving right)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Guys, Palmer Luckey being a 'cant stump the Trump' supporter and all that it entails (especially now lmao) is his prerogative and he can deal with the choices he's made.

Like sure you can say whatever you want about it but the more you give a poo poo what some tubby homeschooled idiot does and the more you try to make it seem like not a big deal the more you become that same tubby idiot. You being a contrarian chump just makes your a big ol idiot. The multimillionaire doesn't need you defense on the internet, he's an adult the can speak for himself.

Asking for proof of baseless attacks isn't defense. I am skeptical of everything so I want proof that he actually is a white supremacist. A random antisemetic meme isn't proof that some brony is a white supremacist.

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

The multimillionaire doesn't need you defense on the internet, he's an adult the can speak for himself.

I don't think people are defending Palmer Lucky as much as they are defending the right to have a different political opinion than the majority in your own private life.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

Asking for proof of baseless attacks isn't defense. I am skeptical of everything so I want proof that he actually is a white supremacist. A random antisemetic meme isn't proof that some brony is a white supremacist.

Supporting Trump in any capacity is enough for people, me included. You not understanding this says far more than any of your words much like Palmer's actions speaking louder than his.

fenrif posted:

I don't think people are defending Palmer Lucky as much as they are defending the right to have a different political opinion than the majority in your own private life.

Unfortunately for you and Palmer his position in Oculus is effected by his 'opinion in his private life' and thus why there is drama recognized by everyone including Oculus. He does have a right to hold whatever opinions he wants just like everyone else can have their opinions on him. It is everyone's right to give him and Oculus as much poo poo as they want.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Supporting Trump in any capacity is enough for people, me included. You not understanding this says far more than any of your words much like Palmer's actions speaking louder than his.

Maybe you need a more diverse group of friends. My mom supports Trump and I know she isn't a white supremacist. The guy that comments on all my anti-trump facebook posts and uses all the catchphrases isn't a white supremacist. You not understanding that every person in a group doesn't have exactly the same views says far more than any of your idiotic posts ever could.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you need a more diverse group of friends. My mom supports Trump and I know she isn't a white supremacist. The guy that comments on all my anti-trump facebook posts and uses all the catchphrases isn't a white supremacist. You not understanding that every person in a group doesn't have exactly the same views says far more than any of your idiotic posts ever could.

Thanks for playing this card for everyone but I'm going to respect Videogame's request from earlier and stop talking about politics as we've gone away from Palmer.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 14, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

He funnelled money to a breitbart dude who posts white supremacist bullshit on a daily basis. Why is this so hard to understand? Why are you being obtuse about this? What kind of proof do you want? A meme signed by Palmer Luckey himself?

Cojawfee posted:

"I'm not a Nazi, but I'll vote for the Nazi party!"

No, you idiot, if you vote for Nazis, you're a loving Nazi. If you support a Nazi propaganda machine, you're a Nazi. Luckey is a Nazi. Can you stop beating around the bush and accept this simple fact already, holy poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's still about Palmer, but I didn't say Palmer in my post so I can see how you got confused. There are people who support Donald Trump who are white supremacists. There are people who support Donald Trump who aren't white supremacists. People in this thread say that because Palmer Supports Trump that he must be a white supremacist, and because of that, he should be removed from Oculus. You even said that just by supporting Trump, Palmer is a white supremacist. All I am asking for is the proof that Palmer Luckey, founder but no longer face of Oculus VR, is in fact a white supremacist. Without that, Palmer Luckey has dumb political views but that's no reason to demand he be removed from Oculus. If someone finds proof that Palmer thinks whites are superior and all other races are inferior and then uses whatever power he has to apply those views to the everyday goings on of Oculus VR, I will join the movement trying to get him removed. But I agree, until someone provides that proof, everyone can just shut up about it already.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No one cares, take it to D&D

I want to be a wizard who casts spells by waving my arms, and I get that in december no matter who wins

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

They don't, though - as far as I've seen, no-one in the press and no game developers have ever said or even implied that Oculus should fire or discipline Luckey. Generally what people seem to want is either for Luckey to voluntarily step down - which obviously isn't going to happen - or for Oculus to publicly move him to a role in which he's no longer acting as the face of the company.

What Oculus seem to have done is privately move him to a role in which he's no longer the face of the company, but refuse to admit publicly that they've done so. Essentially they're taking the "sweep it under the rug option", refusing to take a position and hoping the issue will blow over without them needing to say something that alienates either their progressive customers or their racist customers. Which makes good business sense, but you can understand why, for example, the members of their touted diversity team might find it rather galling.

What is his official role with Facebook anyways after the acquisition? If part of it is being the public face of Oculus then removing him from that role would be employer retaliation for political speech. As I said in the post you're replying to, he hasn't said anything publicly that I know about where he goes past supporting a candidate and their policies. There's a lot of suspicions about what his personal beliefs are between the candidate he supports and his association with alt-right leaders, and the suspicions are probably right in my mind, but it's still not enough without him actually voicing those beliefs, and it's not anything Oculus can take any action against. If he went on a misogynistic Twitter rampage like Milo Yiannopoulos then Oculus could act, but he hasn't.

So I don't think it's so much worrying about alienating their racist customers as not being able to do anything about the problem other than hold diversity luncheons as mentioned in the story and to state what their policies are on diversity since they can't get rid of him or punish him for what he's done so far.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

It's still about Palmer, but I didn't say Palmer in my post so I can see how you got confused. There are people who support Donald Trump who are white supremacists. There are people who support Donald Trump who aren't white supremacists. People in this thread say that because Palmer Supports Trump that he must be a white supremacist, and because of that, he should be removed from Oculus. You even said that just by supporting Trump, Palmer is a white supremacist. All I am asking for is the proof that Palmer Luckey, founder but no longer face of Oculus VR, is in fact a white supremacist. Without that, Palmer Luckey has dumb political views but that's no reason to demand he be removed from Oculus. If someone finds proof that Palmer thinks whites are superior and all other races are inferior and then uses whatever power he has to apply those views to the everyday goings on of Oculus VR, I will join the movement trying to get him removed. But I agree, until someone provides that proof, everyone can just shut up about it already.
this is a strange hill to die on man, Palmer Luckey is gonna be ok with or without you

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Unfortunately for you and Palmer his position in Oculus is effected by his 'opinion in his private life' and thus why there is drama recognized by everyone including Oculus. He does have a right to hold whatever opinions he wants just like everyone else can have their opinions on him. It is everyone's right to give him and Oculus as much poo poo as they want.

Yes they can. Absolutely. I'd just like some sort of factual basis for it other than "He's red and I'm blue!"

Cojawfee posted:

I bet you even support your mom. You filthy racist! You're literally related to a nazi, you know!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fordan posted:

What is his official role with Facebook anyways after the acquisition? If part of it is being the public face of Oculus then removing him from that role would be employer retaliation for political speech. As I said in the post you're replying to, he hasn't said anything publicly that I know about where he goes past supporting a candidate and their policies. There's a lot of suspicions about what his personal beliefs are between the candidate he supports and his association with alt-right leaders, and the suspicions are probably right in my mind, but it's still not enough without him actually voicing those beliefs, and it's not anything Oculus can take any action against. If he went on a misogynistic Twitter rampage like Milo Yiannopoulos then Oculus could act, but he hasn't.

So I don't think it's so much worrying about alienating their racist customers as not being able to do anything about the problem other than hold diversity luncheons as mentioned in the story and to state what their policies are on diversity since they can't get rid of him or punish him for what he's done so far.

His official role is "founder." For quite a while he was still the public face of Oculus. After a while, there started being issues where he was saying what he wanted to happen and that was diverging from what was actually happening. A big example being him saying he wants to support the Vive in Oculus home while the software was actively blocking the Vive and any software that would make the Vive look like a Rift. It all came to a head where someone posted something critical of Oculus on Reddit and he made fun of a guy and made a "pepperidge farm remembers" reference. Someone immediately responded with a giant list of "remember when *palmer luckey promise that never happened*? Pepperidge Farm remembers." After that he disappeared entirely from Reddit and mostly disappeared from Twitter. He was no longer speaking for Oculus and at most would retweet something the official Oculus account or one of the executives at Oculus would tweet. No one knows if there was a behind the scenes talking to where they told him to shut the hell up.

wyoak posted:

this is a strange hill to die on man, Palmer Luckey is gonna be ok with or without you

Wanting to attack Palmer with actual facts and not baseless hearsay. What a strange hill to die on.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dude, all Palmer had to do was come out and say "I'm not a literal neo-nazi". But he won't/can't because if he does that, he'll lose all his twitter friends and his nazi girlfriend. It's that loving simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I don't like Oculus, but it isn't because of Palmer, its because they tried to enforce hardware exclusivity on the PC with DRM. I think anyone who donates to a group that thinks "meme magic is real" is an idiot, but that doesn't reflect badly on Oculus, primarily because its clear Palmer doesn't have much say in what goes on over there anymore anyway.