Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, let's talk poo poo and use a Jack Kirby piece to back up my argument.

you're dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Guy A. Person posted:

Jesus, seriously. Wasn't the modern Guardian literally just a guy in a really practical SWAT costume?

I think that's Gangbuster. I used to confuse them too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well people were complaining that jimmy Olson wasn't white.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Here's Jimmy Olsen as Guardian on Supergirl. Which I guess is a thing now.

Never thought I'd have to bust this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77c_znZGEIo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I didn't watch most of Supergirl's first season, but the premier seemed easy enough to follow and pretty fun except for the relationship stuff. Also Martian Manhunter was there. Why is their heat vision the wrong color?

Arrow I haven't watched except for crossovers because it seemed so joyless. I'm glad whats-her-name is gone because...I don't know she just always seemed terrible. Less joyless than before.

Flash god drat flash you loving piece of poo poo selfish moron garbage person I hate you to death. This is the show I've been following since the beginning and they seem to be loving it up.

I hated the accent of the guy who played Vandal Savage, so I couldn't watch season one of Legends. Hoping season 2 is watchable.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I thought it was kind of weird that they didn't just do a time skip with Supergirl considering the number of Production-related status quo changes. It wasn't a bad episode but the whole "Oh haha we had a fancy DEO office here the whole time" thing was kind of awkward and hokey, as was Wynn just suddenly getting a job there. The guy playing Supes was pretty good, I think I will miss Cat Grant though. The relationship stuff with James was a bit awkward and poorly written too. It probably would have been served better by having all just happened during the time skip.

Flash was a little better but it all just seemed resolved a little bit too easily, without a feeling that it was deserved in any way. Like, you have Cisco dealing with his brother's death, and being angry with Barry for not changing time to save him - then having further reason to be furious with him when Barry reveals his Flashpoint time-fuckery. But then it's all smoothed over because Barry tells him that changing time is A Bad Thing (which he presumably was doing previously anyway, rather than just being a dick and saying "Ha ha I'm not going to save Dante"). I suppose their friendship didn't seem 100% repaired at the end, despite Cisco vibing up and saving Barry. Was there much resolution for the Iris & Joe stuff? I don't think that was even explained at all.

I generally don't mind this way of building plot threads for a season but I don't think it has been done well in Flash at all.

Oh also I forgot about Draco Malfoy out of nowhere. He'll either be Alchemy, or will be suspected of being Alchemy in which case he won't be, and will instead become friends with Barry.

The Dad-talk with E3 Jay was really great though. Favourite scene in the episode.

SHIELD was ok but I hope that story with John Hannah and his sexbot goes away soon because yeesh.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Beachcomber posted:

I didn't watch most of Supergirl's first season, but the premier seemed easy enough to follow and pretty fun except for the relationship stuff. Also Martian Manhunter was there. Why is their heat vision the wrong color?

Blue is hotter than red on the temperature scale. That's what it supposed to be, even if it looks like an ice beam.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

In the comics there was a time where Kara was said to have stronger powers than Clark, because age/red sun/maturity blah blah. It might still be the case, I don't know.

So I think people just figured that was going to be it, blue being hotter than red. But then Clark's was blue too so I guess it's just a style choice.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Blue heat vision may be sacrilege but it looks pretty good. And blue lasers are more of a good guy color than red lasers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

irlZaphod posted:

I thought it was kind of weird that they didn't just do a time skip with Supergirl considering the number of Production-related status quo changes. It wasn't a bad episode but the whole "Oh haha we had a fancy DEO office here the whole time" thing was kind of awkward and hokey, as was Wynn just suddenly getting a job there. The guy playing Supes was pretty good, I think I will miss Cat Grant though. The relationship stuff with James was a bit awkward and poorly written too. It probably would have been served better by having all just happened during the time skip.

Flash was a little better but it all just seemed resolved a little bit too easily, without a feeling that it was deserved in any way. Like, you have Cisco dealing with his brother's death, and being angry with Barry for not changing time to save him - then having further reason to be furious with him when Barry reveals his Flashpoint time-fuckery. But then it's all smoothed over because Barry tells him that changing time is A Bad Thing (which he presumably was doing previously anyway, rather than just being a dick and saying "Ha ha I'm not going to save Dante"). I suppose their friendship didn't seem 100% repaired at the end, despite Cisco vibing up and saving Barry. Was there much resolution for the Iris & Joe stuff? I don't think that was even explained at all.

I generally don't mind this way of building plot threads for a season but I don't think it has been done well in Flash at all.

Oh also I forgot about Draco Malfoy out of nowhere. He'll either be Alchemy, or will be suspected of being Alchemy in which case he won't be, and will instead become friends with Barry.

The Dad-talk with E3 Jay was really great though. Favourite scene in the episode.

SHIELD was ok but I hope that story with John Hannah and his sexbot goes away soon because yeesh.

I'm glad the Flash ep resolved as fast as it did because it was frustrating as hell to watch. If they had dragged it out multiple episodes I would have dropped the show easily. If you can't figure out how to have a narrative conflict without making the characters continuously do the dumbest thing, even when they should know better by now, it's just plain bad writing. It's the worst kind of writing, imo. That entire episode resolves itself when he does the smart thing and tells the truth, and having hosed with time before, he should immediately know to get help from people smarter than him. This has basically happened before. The fact that he needed a pep talk to prevent himself from doing something even more dumb is just crazy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
John Hannah and his sexbot own.

Also, the pacing is really off in season 4 so far. They've had one really good episode, but they just had a 2-week hiatus and then the first episode back from the break is another "bridge" episode that serves mainly to set up all the action and payoff for the next episode.

If you were marathoning the show in a Netflix format, it wouldn't be a huge issue. But making people wait 3 weeks for a payoff is bad pacing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm glad the Flash ep resolved as fast as it did because it was frustrating as hell to watch. If they had dragged it out multiple episodes I would have dropped the show easily. If you can't figure out how to have a narrative conflict without making the characters continuously do the dumbest thing, even when they should know better by now, it's just plain bad writing. It's the worst kind of writing, imo. That entire episode resolves itself when he does the smart thing and tells the truth, and having hosed with time before, he should immediately know to get help from people smarter than him. This has basically happened before. The fact that he needed a pep talk to prevent himself from doing something even more dumb is just crazy.

If Wells was there this would have been solved in the cold open.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I changed time and now everyone hates each other."
"You should tell them what's going on."
"Are you crazy? We're a CW show, I need to screw up at least two more times before I can do that."

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ollie's continued refusal to even FIRE an arrow at Tobias Church is getting old as well. Maybe don't put a powerless random gangster as a villain if you are worried that Ollie could too easily handle him. Twice now he has opted to get into hand to hand combat with Church after having no problem plugging arrows into his far less threatening henchmen. Brick was at least good for this because he shot him and it didn't work.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No you see he lost on purpose to recruit Ragman. If he defeated Tobias now then he wouldn't be able to recruit Ragman, and then how would he defeat Tobias?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

John Hannah and his sexbot own.

Also, the pacing is really off in season 4 so far. They've had one really good episode, but they just had a 2-week hiatus and then the first episode back from the break is another "bridge" episode that serves mainly to set up all the action and payoff for the next episode.

If you were marathoning the show in a Netflix format, it wouldn't be a huge issue. But making people wait 3 weeks for a payoff is bad pacing.

Too be fair though, the week off was due to forces outside their control, when they were breaking the season I doubt they knew a debate would fall on that night. Or maybe they did, I admittedly don't know how far in advance the debate schedule is set.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys. Hey guys. Guys. Guys. You listening? Good.

Arrow has both Ragman (best comics = Moench/Jones Batman run) and Wild Dog (best comics=all of them) making it the best comic book based show on TV right this freaking second.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But... they both sucked? Wild Dog was a whiny incompetent weakling and Ragman was a dark avenger who kind of just threatens people and then doesn't do anything and stands around awkwardly?

Also there was some random teen girl there for some reason?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's Artemis.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

Words about something

Lalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalala.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

roffels posted:

I think that's Gangbuster. I used to confuse them too.

I was talking about this dude:

more spandex than I remember but still one of the easier ones to translate into a practical costume because of the relatively normal body armor and belt.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

X-O posted:

Here's Jimmy Olsen as Guardian on Supergirl. Which I guess is a thing now.

Yikes. He looks like a knockoff Mortal Kombat character

Would it have killed them to add some color to the costume? It's just so grey

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Remember when people thought Diggle would be Guardian but then we get Happy Meal Magneto helmet instead?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He really looks closer to Fantomex than anything DC owns.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

He really looks closer to Fantomex than anything DC owns.

Nah, in Fantomex looks kinda cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So how was the LoT premiere? Can I just to that and avoid the terrible first season?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

So how was the LoT premiere? Can I just to that and avoid the terrible first season?

I'm watching it now and it is brutally bad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It was better than the worst episodes of last season, which was most of them. Still very much LoT though. I feel like LoT is almost manic sometimes with its pacing and writing. Like it has all these ideas and no time to tell them, so it just blows through them. It feels like someone on some strong stimulants trying to recall a Doctor Who episode they saw once.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

It feels like someone on some strong stimulants trying to recall a Doctor Who episode they saw once.

That's weird, I don't remember getting a job from Greg Berlanti...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aphrodite posted:

This is what I'm attempting. It's got less angst than flash and I enjoyed Lesbians through the Ages. Willing to see where it goes.

Is there anything the removal of hawkman can't improve?

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 14, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The villain design on the latest Flash episode was sooo bad.

It's always a bummer when TV shows and movies can easily be outdone by cosplayers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That doesn't sound good. Sara Lance is the worst character in all 4 shows, including Barry Allen and trying to do drama Felicity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, the current rumor is that The Punisher will appear in Iron Fist.

Jon Bernthal was not able to attend NYCC for the full event because of his "Netflix production schedule" and the only Netflix show that is actively shooting principle filming this month is Iron Fist.

It's still possible he had some other thing related to Punisher, but not sure what would require him to leave NYCC early if it wasn't filming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Apparently, the current rumor is that The Punisher will appear in Iron Fist.

Jon Bernthal was not able to attend NYCC for the full event because of his "Netflix production schedule" and the only Netflix show that is actively shooting principle filming this month is Iron Fist.

It's still possible he had some other thing related to Punisher, but not sure what would require him to leave NYCC early if it wasn't filming.

Punisher started shooting the beginning of this month.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

Punisher started shooting the beginning of this month.

Ah, you're right. It looks like the Tweet from NYCC was on the first of October, before it was announced that Punisher had been filming.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't know if Punisher would contrast well with Iron Fist. My knowledge of Iron Fist is pretty limited to Fraction/Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist. And I don't think Danny has a no-kill rule like traditionally Daredevil and Spider-Man do.

Of course the Netflix MCU might have a different take. But part of what made Punisher compelling in Daredevil was because of the contrasting styles of being a vigilante.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The other other rumor is that Punisher might in some way show up in Agents of Shield, due to the usual coy comments from Loeb and the fact that the creator of Punisher was apparently at the AOS panel for reasons we would understand later in the season. I still don't buy it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ToastyPotato posted:

The other other rumor is that Punisher might in some way show up in Agents of Shield, due to the usual coy comments from Loeb and the fact that the creator of Punisher was apparently at the AOS panel for reasons we would understand later in the season. I still don't buy it.

this punisher is too hardcore and bloody for that show. i could buy luke cage or DD, but not JJ or punisher.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe he'll have a minigun full of knockout rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mr Hootington posted:

this punisher is too hardcore and bloody for that show. i could buy luke cage or DD, but not JJ or punisher.

AoS is in the 10 pm time slot now buddy. They have full on naked butts and Ghost Rider blew a guy's head off.