Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Make the shields and hardened armor do more if they don't want to make them cheaper. SOMETHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

6+ invulnerable saves are like Fear: Games Workshop somehow finds them incredibly powerful.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We gave them move through cover and invuln re-rolls against blast weapons. Verdict? Still pretty mediocre...

... until your breacher sergeant (aka speed bump) chucks a brick of C4 at panascope's Justerin serge in a challenge. Then it's heavy god drat metal

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
A 2+ save against Strength 1-4 hits would make breachers a more interesting choice I feel. That or just being a shitload cheaper.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Making them cheaper and letting them re-roll invulns against templates would go a long way. At their current cost you could make them attractive with a straight up 5++, but that would make them compete with the new tartaros rules.

I'd like them to do something with the lascutters too. Hell, let them all buy breacher charges. C4 owns.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

BULBASAUR posted:

... until your breacher sergeant (aka speed bump) chucks a brick of C4 at panascope's Justerin serge in a challenge. Then it's heavy god drat metal

Breachers are OP.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just wait how OP this new Dark Angels unique unit with 6+ invulns, 6+ FNP, AND fear is going to be

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Just wait how OP this new Dark Angels unique unit with 6+ invulns, 6+ FNP, AND fear is going to be
The Dark Angels will be nigh unstoppable! :getin:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Fear in 30k is not THAT bad.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I ran a min Breacher squad in a dedicated Land Raider before the change and I liked them fine. Now they're 25 pts cheaper. :shobon:

...Also they're great in Zone Mortalis, which is the majority of games I play.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

Fear in 30k is not THAT bad.

I don't know, it's still pretty bad, and a very minor buff.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

panascope posted:

I don't know, it's still pretty bad, and a very minor buff.

Makes them hit you on 5s and you hit them on 3s... I'd say that's potentially game changing in the right combat tbh. Unless I've just misremembered how Fear works, doesn't it make them WS1?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Unless you're night lords with curze you are still testing on LD8-9, it's neat when it happens but it's not consistent enough to be relied on.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hencoe posted:

Unless you're night lords with curze you are still testing on LD8-9, it's neat when it happens but it's not consistent enough to be relied on.

Night Lords fear is a thing of beauty. If you're fighting non-marine armies, it'll devastate.

We're now entering the Dropsite Massacre campaign, and I'm going to be playing exclusively Raven Guard (because I love the Raven Guard so much). I'm curious if anyone has had any luck running the Darkwing Storm Eagle. It looks great on paper, a little pricier with a smaller transport capacity, but the added stealth and outflank combined with the chance of blinding your target before assault makes it look like it's worth every point. Sure against marines it's only a 1/3 chance of blinding, but that's still better odds than Fear for essentially the same effect.

I'm just sad that I can't take wounded Corax yet, since I swear he gets better.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Night Lords fear is a thing of beauty. If you're fighting non-marine armies, it'll devastate.

That's sort of the issue right there. It's wildly varying in effectiveness, and sort of amounts to a 'save or suck' situation; I'd like to see them overhaul Fear (and maybe some other psychology effects) to be more like: 'models without fear suffer -1 WS when b2b with a model with fear'* . You could do the same thing, but with BS, for Blind. It'd give a smaller, but more consistent, bonus that doesn't require additional die rolls.

* if you don't care about keeping the extra dice roll part, I think forcing people to either re-roll or modify their charge distances when assaulting you would also be cool.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Oh for sure, they could definitely do much more interesting things with Fear than they currently do. You'd think one of the basic things that Fear would cause is a negative to LD, since you know, they're scary.

At least its not 40k Fear, where 90% of the models on the board are either completely immune to fear, or are already so poo poo in melee it doesn't matter if you fear them.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Howdy,

There's a poo poo load in this box, arguably a better deal than Calth. I guess five custodes and five sisters are equivalent to one crummy dreadnought? The only hang-up is that the characters aren't generic. Can't tell too much from the little pictures, but I'm guessing the MkIII dudes will have a bunch of options like the MkIV kit and I think I even see a volkite charger on one of the terminators.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

That's a volkite allright.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Autobuy, even tho I'm not wolves or thousand sons.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

That's sort of the issue right there. It's wildly varying in effectiveness, and sort of amounts to a 'save or suck' situation; I'd like to see them overhaul Fear (and maybe some other psychology effects) to be more like: 'models without fear suffer -1 WS when b2b with a model with fear'* . You could do the same thing, but with BS, for Blind. It'd give a smaller, but more consistent, bonus that doesn't require additional die rolls.

* if you don't care about keeping the extra dice roll part, I think forcing people to either re-roll or modify their charge distances when assaulting you would also be cool.

Stasis Grenades is an example of a good weapon that isn't completely and utterly game-defining 1/6th of the time.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Lord Twisted posted:

Good thing only the characters have sculpted heraldry. Now do I make Salamanders or Death Guard. :getin:

e: having said that I'm still struggling between Alpha Legion and Word Bearers, and probably will until I get round to painting test schemes. Although with 60 Mk IV marines I might be able to get away with doing both and just running vets + tactical support the whole time.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 14, 2016

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Loving the new kit, and honestly surprised that both the price and the number of tacticals stayed the same as Calth. As a Death Guard player, I'm a bit torn though. Mk3 armour is ideal for DG, but Tartaros termies less so - the movement advantage over Cataphractii would be mostly wasted. I would convert Deathshroud, but I've already got some. Sisters and custodes are no use to a filthy traitor, the characters neither (although the Spacewolf might make a good conversion). Like a lot of people I think, I'll split a box with loyalist player.

Edit: no heavy weapons on the tacticals? That could be a deal breaker.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 14, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I need ALL the miniatures. The Ahriman can be hung from the chassis of a dreadnought in shame.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Galaspar posted:

Mk3 armour is ideal for DG, but Tartaros termies less so - the movement advantage over Cataphractii would be mostly wasted.

Edit: no heavy weapons on the tacticals? That could be a deal breaker.

Swap the BaC cataphractii for them.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Video just went up on Facebook with some lovely close ups of the new plastics.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/268377870223865/

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SteelMentor posted:

Video just went up on Facebook with some lovely close ups of the new plastics.

https://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/268377870223865/

It looks like that Tartaros have sculpted on 1k sons stuff :(

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They're generic, there's just some fancy transfers on them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TTerrible posted:

It looks like that Tartaros have sculpted on 1k sons stuff :(
No it doesn't. They have the same transfers on their legs and such that the Thousand Sons infantry have.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The lightning / spikey trim on the torsos is done with transfers? The resin ones don't have that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
That's just Imperial aesthetics, the Kataphractii from B@C had that as well.

Edit: Just noticed that the 22nd of October is mentioned in the video description. That's a lot sooner than I was expecting, probably going to have to wait to get my copies. At least I'll get to play with the store copy while I wait.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Just looks a lot more ornate and heretical to me. Oh well. I'll still grab some.

Those mk3s though. :chanpop:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, the lightning and stuff like that is just all over Heresy models. Even the Legion Tactical Marines have it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
So what weapon options have we seen on the kits so far?

I've spotted Thunder Hammers Lightning Claws, Plasma Guns, Flamers, Plasma Pistols, Heavy Bolters and Legion Vexilla on the Mk3's so far, as well as Volkite Chargers, Power Swords, Combi-Bolters and Heavy Flamers on the Tartaros. Think I saw some variation on the SoS and Custodes as well.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The lightning bolts are what Terran marines/thunder warriors had on their armor. It's a cool little pre-aquila loyalty to the emperor thing.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah, I get that for the lightning bolts - I just was expecting the Tartaros to be a straighter port of the resin models that are clean and smooth like mk4s. The wavy and spikey stuff just seems ill suited.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
This set is awesome. I was hoping for assault marines so I hadn't been building many World Eaters, but now I know plastic assault marines aren't coming I'll start working on my army again.

Bulbasaur - Sorry I haven't PM'd or emailed you. Will do so today. Been sick a bunch recently and wife out of town so probably won't be able to play on Sunday.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Does the set go on preorder tomorrow or next week?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
It's actually nice that I don't have the money to spend on plastic space barbies, because I'd be buying me some plastic space barbies right now. Burning of Prospero looks super dope, Ahriman looks amazing painted.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Time to make plans for what to use MkIII armor for. I'm not that interested in breachers and I've got MkIV out the rear end already. Volkite or Iliastus squads, maybe?

I am surprised to see Sisters and Custodes in there though. That's a really nice unexpected bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think Mark 3 will make for badass assault marines.