Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

withoutclass posted:

It also utilizes US Cellular.

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it would actually have better coverage than Verizon. T-Mobile is amazing in Boston and Sprint is pretty good in the middle of nowhere like Verizon is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Zero VGS posted:

Sprint is pretty good in the middle of nowhere like Verizon is.

Thanks, I needed a good belly laugh to close out the week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Man, I wish we could have Google Fi or other MVNOs in Canada. Our FCC called the CRTC won't allow it :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it would actually have better coverage than Verizon.
In my experience, no. The Fi coverage and performance still can't rival Verizon's in my area. It's perfectly usable though, and your personal experience might be different. Fi's by no means bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Thanks, I needed a good belly laugh to close out the week.

It might be true in Nebraska. And only Nebraska

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I suppose it would be asking too much for Google to just make an MVNO using all the major carriers at once? I'd pay a little extra for Omnicoverage.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ah... I'd assume its the carriers not wanting to play ball. I'm sure Google would have Fi on all carriers if they could.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both ATT and Verizon have MNOs on their networks. Money is money.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

OnePlus 3, Nexus 6P, Axon 7, Honor 8.

One of those would be accurate if it were wise to buy a year old phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

One of those would be accurate if it were wise to buy a year old phone.

Who says it's not?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nimper posted:

Who says it's not?

The law of diminishing returns?

IT security goons?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The law of diminishing returns?

IT security goons?

Google says that Nexus devices will get security patches for at least 3 years from when the device first became available. So unless someone who buys a 6P today plans on keeping it for more than 2 years, it's just fine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The Pixel XL is $370 united states dollars more than the 6p and the 6p is basically identical except a slightly slower CPU and slightly bigger (!) screen.

If you offered me either for free I think I'd still take the 6p because I need the extra real estate for Clash Royale. For $370 more there's no good argument for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's actually looking to quite a few improvements over the 6P so if you can afford it why not? The Pixel XL is definitely pricey though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zero VGS posted:

The Pixel XL is $370 united states dollars more than the 6p and the 6p is basically identical except a slightly slower CPU and slightly bigger (!) screen.

If you offered me either for free I think I'd still take the 6p because I need the extra real estate for Clash Royale. For $370 more there's no good argument for it.
A better camera, lower touch latency, a more manageable size, significantly faster storage, an extra year of support, unlimited photo/video storage, daydream vr support. Better battery life is almost a certainty. Probably the best thing will be fewer quirks due to this being a mass-market device, especially since they're giving 24/7 support directly on the device. Good luck getting your issues fixed in the Google support forums.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ilkhan posted:

You might pickup a 5X to use for a couple months and grab the XL at the first sale. It'll probably be a month before it's back in stock.

What is the best way to get a 5X now? It seems like the only US ones left on Amazon are from fly-by-night looking 3rd-party people.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

"Please follow these steps to trigger a controlled burn of your Note 7"

Instead of burning books, America burnt their Note 7's

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Inspector_666 posted:

What is the best way to get a 5X now? It seems like the only US ones left on Amazon are from fly-by-night looking 3rd-party people.

Order through Project Fi I guess

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

A better camera, lower touch latency, a more manageable size, significantly faster storage, an extra year of support, unlimited photo/video storage, daydream vr support. Better battery life is almost a certainty. Probably the best thing will be fewer quirks due to this being a mass-market device, especially since they're giving 24/7 support directly on the device. Good luck getting your issues fixed in the Google support forums.

This is exactly right.

Going by what we know so far, the Pixel is signifcantly better than the 6P . It's also significantly more expensive.

It's pretty hard to declare either one of them the absolute better thing to buy, it's almost exclusively down to how much disposable income you have. The Pixel is probably not one of those things that people with lots of disposable income buy that isn't actually better than something you can get for much cheaper...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It might be true in Nebraska. And only Nebraska

Fi doesn't even work in Nebraska because T-Mobile is nonexistent here.

You can't get a 402 number on Fi.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile claims they work fine but they simply do not.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it would actually have better coverage than Verizon. T-Mobile is amazing in Boston and Sprint is pretty good in the middle of nowhere like Verizon is.

Sprint is absolutely garbage where I live.

I'm strongly considering the 6p now that I'm taking a look at it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Thermopyle posted:

It's pretty hard to declare either one of them the absolute better thing to buy, it's almost exclusively down to how much disposable income you have. The Pixel is probably not one of those things that people with lots of disposable income buy that isn't actually better than something you can get for much cheaper...
You don't even need that much disposable income, you can buy it on a payment plan.

I use my phone every waking hour. $870 every year for the newest and best is a hell of a deal for something I use that much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

You don't even need that much disposable income, you can buy it on a payment plan.

I use my phone every waking hour. $870 every year for the newest and best is a hell of a deal for something I use that much.

Yeah, this is why I'm getting the Pixel XL. It's weird how a loving phone has become my primary computing device.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Thanks to lower latency and faster storage I can send out 5.2% more Thoughts and Prayers on Facebook!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Thanks to lower latency and faster storage I can send out 5.2% more Thoughts and Prayers on Facebook!

Good username/post combo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

butt dickus posted:

I'm butthurt about the Daydream support because Google said 6P was going to be the first Daydream phone and they apparently changed their minds: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/android-vr-os-gets-a-virtual-reality-mode-and-vr-ready-smartphones/

I guess I'm stuck with just my Rift for now...

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Fi doesn't even work in Nebraska because T-Mobile is nonexistent here.

You can't get a 402 number on Fi.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile claims they work fine but they simply do not.

Is this still true post US Cellular being added?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Replacing my firebomb Note 7 with a Pixel XL 128 until the next Note style phone comes out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big thing is you really can't view the Pixels as a Nexus with a new name. They are not. They are, for all intents and purposes, Google's iPhone. They dictated the hardware design with the software in mind. There's a much tighter integration between the two than there has ever been for Nexus devices in the past and that should lead to some pretty great things.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

The big thing is you really can't view the Pixels as a Nexus with a new name. They are not. They are, for all intents and purposes, Google's iPhone. They dictated the hardware design with the software in mind. There's a much tighter integration between the two than there has ever been for Nexus devices in the past and that should lead to some pretty great things.

Yeah I'm excited to see where the Pixel line goes. Maybe I'll get next year's model.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Grumpwagon posted:

Is this still true post US Cellular being added?

Yes it is. I tried last night and I tried just now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I guess it is kind of a moot point since they have been permanently discontinued and there is a global recall but the US department of transportation just banned the Note 7 from airplanes.

How long before Samsung remotely bricks them or the carriers all blacklist the IMEIs?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I guess it is kind of a moot point since they have been permanently discontinued and there is a global recall but the US department of transportation just banned the Note 7 from airplanes.

How long before Samsung remotely bricks them or the carriers all blacklist the IMEIs?

Neither, as has already been discussed to death, give it up. What Samsung should and may? likely? do, is issue another update with a persistent popup, or limiting the max charge, or something like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seeing as how carriers like Verizon are preemptively refunding the payments of the devices and sending out boxes whether you ask for one or not, I could certainly see them taking action at some point soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Meanwhile, Rogers is "still working on it" and will "let you know when we have an update" when I inquire about the recall :sigh:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Premium phones come with premium price tags, who knew?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

But without premium features apparently.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Tagichatn posted:

But without premium features apparently.

:getout:

butt dickus posted:

A better camera, lower touch latency, a more manageable size, significantly faster storage, an extra year of support, unlimited photo/video storage, daydream vr support. Better battery life is almost a certainty. Probably the best thing will be fewer quirks due to this being a mass-market device, especially since they're giving 24/7 support directly on the device.

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

1.Can you post some pics with your Honor 8? Especially low-light/indoor shots.
2.And do you know if the screen recording feature works when streaming apps are playing? I think it would be a great little .gif maker if so.
3.That blue model just looks sooo good.
4. The only thing holding me back is the lack of a QHD display, since I have this belief I might actually want to try VR/360 video at some point.
5.And how is bluetooth connectivity? I don't use wired headphones (at work) anymore.
My Nexus 5 can barely handle 3' if it isn't in the open air. Merely sticking it in my pants/coat pocket the wrong way, or even turning my head away can make it cut out.
1. Low light are simply adequate to good, you will need sometimes to post-process the images, they got all the details but are not visible unless you up the brightness of the picture (Snapseed makes this easy). Outdoor pictures are great to awesome. Have some aftermath from my nephews (black mat, black beanbag and darkblue cover) and some outdoor pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Ghv0M .
2. Yes it is awesome, I got it. The white one looks awful, black is well shiny black so just like any other black shiny phone. Gold is uhh, yellow.
3. Uhh, gotta check that.
4...I got mine on the save-battery feature which changes the screen to 720p. I have yet to find a single person even notice that (even other people with Honor 8).VR with QHD; think you need to look at a phone that is like 2-3 times higher price to make that happen (even then is the VR even in 1080p let alone QHD?). On a tiny screen like a smartphone QHD is just a gimmick, you would need to have your nose pressed against the screen to notice the difference between 1080p and QHD.
5. I get about 10 feet open air ,but I suspect the 20 or so other bluetooth connections (work in a electronic store) might mess with the signal strength. Haven´t tried it outdoor. Some reviews mentioned the bluetooth is spotty.

I gotta say the finger-print scanner is crazy fast and good. The few times it thinks its the wrong finger is just as fast as a regular scan, the only difference is the vibration and a text flashing by saying its the wrong print. Performance overall is great, I haven't noticed any hitching or freezing when it starts updating 5+ apps, always a surprise when I see apps update while one is in progress with no difference to system performance. Also, it is no joke the back is slippery, it will slide off anything without a case (get the official one with transparent back).

Did I mention I work with service-area for electronics? People keep forgetting to register for the 3 year warranty (I think america gets this too) it is awesome: the battery will not retain top performance forever. Change the battery (on warranty) when you start nearing 3 years since it will probably be at 50% max capacity or less. Also the first 3 months from purchase they will exchange a cracked screen for free the first time (and entire phone for warranty issues within same time-period). Also gently caress Apple and Samsung for their "our stuff never breaks policy" (also don't buy Sony phones that have a glas back with the word "compact" in the title).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

They are, for all intents and purposes, Google's iPhone.

I disagree. Apple's strategy - and success - with the iPhone wasn't just to make nice software that runs on nice hardware. Skipping over the 'it just works' business, Apple has an iconic retail presence. You can take your device to an Apple store, and the people working there will be able to diagnose the issue and repair, or replace, your device. Apple also has an official licencing programme, so there's a similarly-vast secondary ecosystem of cases, covers, holders, docks, and all manner of doo-dads that will work with your device. Apple don't seem to view messaging as an ongoing problem that needs a new solution every eighteen months - not that their messaging app is anything to make headlines about, but a basic service you'd expect from a phone in 2006, let alone 2016, shouldn't be treated like a breezy new app to play around with before the novelty wears off.

I own and love a 6P, having used every other Nexus since the N1. I still wouldn't recommend one to family members, compared against an iPhone; calling the Pixel 'Google's iPhone' misses everything outside the spec sheet you get with an Apple device. Price ✔, hardware ✔ - customer experience? uh. foresight? hmm. continued updates, security or otherwise? you can strap it to your face for VR!! :haw: