Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zoe posted:

Gnomes aren't people.

Racists deserve gnomercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Cat Mattress posted:

Racists deserve gnomercy.

:vince:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
The Belkster's new moniker sounds a bit prophetic, considering what some have been waiting for.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dolash posted:

Not really any way around his lifetime of sins, though.

That's not fair, we have a character with a lifetime worth of sins all in a single moment, and we at least get to see what abject and sincere remorse is. We'll see about repentance, but V and Belkar draw a strong contrast. If you notice in the latest strip, Belkar still feels as though ending sentient life is a positive aspect of his adventuring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure that Belkar's development isn't about his alignment shift but about him becoming an actual character. He began as the dude who joins your group and just wants to stab everything and doesn't think or care about anything but is now gradually developing to being a guy who ACTUALLY RPs and gets invested in the world. Where he goes when he dies is less important about the fact that he goes from a guy who stabs random people to someone actually invested in the world.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

Belkar once just murdered a random innocent gnome in front of Haley because he hadn't gotten to murder anyone in a while, then ate the guy's chocolate bar.

It really doesn't matter if he finds a little depth and complexity in his character, he's not built for "redemption" outside of maybe being a special case for helping to save the world even if for selfish reasons.

What was he supposed to do? Just leave the chocolate bar? Who would enjoy it then? No one. Belkar was just thinking logically.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Not eating the chocolate bar would be reducing the net happiness in the world and would therefore be an evil act.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A big part of me wants to see Belkar rules lawyer his way into the chaotic good afterlife by successfully arguing that no number of lives he ended could outweigh giving his life to save the entire world.

It's mathematically correct but is also directly spitting in the eyes of every good person who ever worked hard at maintaining their alignment and made it into a good afterlife.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Best he can hope for is an eternity chasing frog people

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure that Belkar's development isn't about his alignment shift but about him becoming an actual character. He began as the dude who joins your group and just wants to stab everything and doesn't think or care about anything but is now gradually developing to being a guy who ACTUALLY RPs and gets invested in the world. Where he goes when he dies is less important about the fact that he goes from a guy who stabs random people to someone actually invested in the world.

I'd describe the difference as this: he used to look for excuses to hurt people, now he looks for reasons.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Rumda posted:

Best he can hope for is an eternity chasing frog people

What? Is that for real? Sign me up!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ikanreed posted:

I'd describe the difference as this: he used to look for excuses to hurt people, now he looks for reasons.

Yeah, this feels like it

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

reignofevil posted:

It's mathematically correct but is also directly spitting in the eyes of every good person who ever worked hard at maintaining their alignment and made it into a good afterlife.

Let's not pretend that wouldn't be his favorite part.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah, this feels like it
I want him to hit Chaotic Good, maybe with a good word put in by a certain old man smoking cigars rolled from poorly worded legal documents.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe the Chaotic Good afterlife doesn't care too much about all those alignment rules, man. Maybe they just let in whoever they think would be cool and fun.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I think that right now Belkar is headed for pandemonium, and the best he could ever hope for is Ysgard, but for someone like him, maybe that's not so bad. Feasts and fights every day until you die, and tomorrow you get to start all over again.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 9, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

I think that right now Belkar is headed for pandemonium, and the best he could ever hope for is Asgard, but for someone like him, maybe that's not so bad. Feasts and fights every day until you die, and tomorrow you get to start all over again.

Is that not actual paradise for Belkar?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Is that not actual paradise for Belkar?

Yes, that was my point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Asgard or Achreon would probably be the most enjoyable for Belkar. Asgard more. (Acheron also has the fighting thing. But it's more about blood thirsty armies clashing against each other, and then when someone kills another else their strength is refreshed and they become temporatly stronger so they can continue killing.) Achreon is also the lawful side of the wheel so Belker would never be able to get there.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

new one!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
They're probably not dumb enough to mutiny in the middle of a Giant attack, but that would be just the OotS's luck.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I am really not feeling a mutiny subplot at this stage of the game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love the fashion guy, and I hope he says while not-quite-gold-coat chick and not-quite-fuschia-hair girl get left behind.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rich really needs to toggle on the spellchecker in Illustrator or whatever he uses.

homework: write a joke reply to this post that plays on the ambiguity between orthographic spelling and magical spells

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This definitely reeks of when the campaign gets too high level and you're running out of balanced encounter ideas.

"Uh, this time you run into... fifty frost giants?"

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Man, I am really not feeling a mutiny subplot at this stage of the game.

I kind of agree, it's tough to really invest much in the airship crew. I can appreciate Rich wanting to set up a conflict on the ship to add some tension and get rid of the ship later (maybe stranding the heroes or removing their means of escape), but it's too much of a slow burn and the crew are so beneath the notice of the actual main characters their situation doesn't feel that relevant. I can't tell if they needed to be fleshed out more with a few more turns in their story (so the "there will be a mutiny later" sign won't have been flashing from the start) or less and just have the crew be generic background characters with one discontent foreshadowing scene closer to the actual mutiny.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

greatn posted:

This definitely reeks of when the campaign gets too high level and you're running out of balanced encounter ideas.

"Uh, this time you run into... fifty frost giants?"

Except it makes perfect sense given the context of the Gods' Moot and the developments therein?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Rich really needs to toggle on the spellchecker in Illustrator or whatever he uses.

homework: write a joke reply to this post that plays on the ambiguity between orthographic spelling and magical spells
Oh you best believe his forums will check every spell thoroughly and let everybody know if one's wrong.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Given the stakes, I wouldn't find a mutiny very believable. I think this is more of a setup for the crew to bail after they reach their destination -- not because "hurr screw saving the world my own life included" but because the ship is a wreck now and by the time they're done repairing it the whole godsmoot business will be done already, one way or the other.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Cool, didn't know Chain Lightning could hit 9 targets.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Johnny Aztec posted:

Cool, didn't know Chain Lightning could hit 9 targets.

Yeah, it's apparently as many as you have caster levels. Though it halves the damage each time, so the last one is just getting tickled. Unless I'm reading it wrong, and each person it chains to get's half damage. I guess it depends on if it's like a sunburst or a line for the secondary bolts, I think it could be read either way.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, it's apparently as many as you have caster levels. Though it halves the damage each time, so the last one is just getting tickled. Unless I'm reading it wrong, and each person it chains to get's half damage. I guess it depends on if it's like a sunburst or a line for the secondary bolts, I think it could be read either way.

quote:

This spell creates an electrical discharge that begins as a single stroke commencing from your fingertips. Unlike lightning bolt, chain lightning strikes one object or creature initially, then arcs to other targets.

The bolt deals 1d6 points of electricity damage per caster level (maximum 20d6) to the primary target. After it strikes, lightning can arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). The secondary bolts each strike one target and deal half as much damage as the primary one did (rounded down).

Each target can attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage. You choose secondary targets as you like, but they must all be within 30 feet of the primary target, and no target can be struck more than once. You can choose to affect fewer secondary targets than the maximum.

It's pretty clearly the former - the damage is explicitly stated as being half of the full damage, and if it were a line the requirement would be for each target to be within a certain range of the previous target, not of the primary target.

That said, I've always seen it depicted as a bouncing line in video games and other art, probably because it looks cooler.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's halved for every hit in a lot of other games so the mix up is understandable.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

NihilCredo posted:

That said, I've always seen it depicted as a bouncing line in video games and other art, probably because it looks cooler.

That's probably a holdover from 2nd edition where Chain Lightning was explicitly based on ricochets and you could TPK by casting it in a narrow corridor.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

New one!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One of these days someone will figure out a fake link that looks like an oots url but redirect to goblins.

Never change V, V's great.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I dunno, "intellectual" characters that do the overly wordy "if my calculations are correct" spiel when solving a problem have always annoyed me. At least V has the sense to keep things concise when in immediate danger.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Huh, I only just noticed that Rich is now drawing Blackwing's bracelet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IMJack posted:

I dunno, "intellectual" characters that do the overly wordy "if my calculations are correct" spiel when solving a problem have always annoyed me. At least V has the sense to keep things concise when in immediate danger.

V is noted as talking too much and not getting enough done in the time they were talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

IMJack posted:

I tend to hate characters like that, but V is an excellent example of doing it right, particularly post-Faustian V. There were definitely some stinkers in the earlier books though.