Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

fleshweasel posted:

All command line text editors are stupid and bad.

Any thing not done from the command line is done wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

xtal posted:

Any thing not done from the command line is done wrong

Put away the jabbascript, everyone, we're going back to Lynx.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Klades posted:

good

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

One of my coworkers uses emacs but uses the toolbar to copy/paste code and every time I see him do it I scream inside.

also I use spacemacs in evil-mode because modal editing is cool

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I didn't realize that we'd move on from emacs vs. vim wars to graphical text editors vs. console text editors, but I suppose this religious discussion is rare enough.

I use vim bindings because I hate using the mouse for exploring code, but for exploring a visual space of some sort I'm all about mouse controls.

I'm just terrible at keybindings for my IDEs and editors for compiling because switching between OSes and environments frequently for over 15 years has permanently damaged the part of my brain that can learn new keybindings.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Klades posted:

You're joking but the years I spent using tor and w3m were not so bad

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

1337JiveTurkey posted:

edit: It'd be an amusing Goon Project to get those characters in wider use.

:getin:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Klades posted:

The modern (haha) version is called links, and yes I use it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Other IDE's have keyboard only navigation and editing so people saying they use vim because of that are missing the value that vim keybindings bring: you can use them with lots of editors and IDEs so you can use the keybindings you like across multiple environments.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Thermopyle posted:

Other IDE's have keyboard only navigation and editing so people saying they use vim because of that are missing the value that vim keybindings bring: you can use them with lots of editors and IDEs so you can use the keybindings you like across multiple environments.

emacs keybindings are superior for that, since they're also the defaults for most shells, supported as standard in macos apps and most linux guis, and can actually be configured in any programs that don't support them out of the box because they don't rely on an unusual modal system

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trying to slap the "superior" label on anything is a stupid waste of time.

Use whatever you enjoy, no one gets to tell you how to use a computer, gently caress the haters.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Soricidus posted:

emacs keybindings are superior for that, since they're also the defaults for most shells, supported as standard in macos apps and most linux guis, and can actually be configured in any programs that don't support them out of the box because they don't rely on an unusual modal system

That may or may not be true...I don't know because I don't use either!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Klades posted:

lookit this noob who didn't use w3m

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Klades posted:

Hmm. New hack day project lynx with v8...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

But can I use lynx for viewing dank memes?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Keybindings discussions might as well be plane on treadmill discussions tbh.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I genuinely like the economy of vim editing commands but I never got the hang of rapid navigation so inevitably I end up back in my gui editors to do anything productive.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

I deal with maybe the only existing format that uses RS, GS, and US (wrongly): MARC. A standard from I think 1967 or so, still in use everywhere you live, if you live in a place that has a library.

It is the most user specified, machine unreadable format ever.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I like eclipse keybindings! :downs:

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

xtal posted:

Begrudgingly doing some Web programming and just found out the fastest) recommended way to clone an object in JavaScript is to turn it to json and back

I was at a programming language conference where a paper was presented on trying to speed up stringification of floating point numbers.

When I talked to the author, he told me that the chief motivation was Javascript programmers running into performance problems due to serializing back and forth into JSON.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
im a troglodyte and mostly use the mouse to do things. if i worked in one or two languages i might be able to memorize the keybindings in their toolsets, but i have to use more than 6 languages on a daily basis on this point and they all have different keybindings and it's just too much. better to right-click things and see what contextual options i have.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

But can I use lynx for viewing dank memes?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2841382&pagenumber=179&perpage=40#post460861264

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Security horror?

This would have potentially had medical patients and their orders visible via the admin side. Yeesh. admin/admin login at url "/admin" isn't exactly a tough one to guess.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Security horror?

This would have potentially had medical patients and their orders visible via the admin side. Yeesh. admin/admin login at url "/admin" isn't exactly a tough one to guess.

The security horror that you have access to plaintext passwords somehow?

Or is this from a leak/dump from a hacked site or something? Because if it's the latter then it's just stupid users being stupid users.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Or is this from a leak/dump from a hacked site or something? Because if it's the latter then it's just stupid users being stupid users.

Even if this were a leaked database dump, it should have stored their passwords as hashes, not plaintext.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like a screengrab from phpmyadmin to me, so it's probably an internal database.

Passwords are hard, it's not like there's 40 years of history out there telling us how to be responsible with them.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

im a troglodyte and mostly use the mouse to do things. if i worked in one or two languages i might be able to memorize the keybindings in their toolsets, but i have to use more than 6 languages on a daily basis on this point and they all have different keybindings and it's just too much. better to right-click things and see what contextual options i have.

Languages don't have key bindings

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

No Safe Word posted:

No it's a potential new client I'm working with. I'm just getting a feel for what's currently going on.

Storing in plain text is a horror yes, but I'm mostly referring to the website admin login being "admin/admin" where the admin url is "www.site.com/admin". This could have potentially caused very much trouble considering there would have been medical patients' data in there if they had finished the implementation.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

xtal posted:

Languages don't have key bindings

Did you intentionally miss "in their toolsets" or have you never hopped from vim to VS?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

Did you intentionally miss "in their toolsets" or have you never hopped from vim to VS?

Why on earth would I ever do that?

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
You can get VsVim :colbert:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So maybe this is for the career thread but the coding horror people are probably able to help me just as well.

I work at a big company and I'm paid pretty well. The problem is that most other developers are straight up FizzBuzz level incompetent. Every line of code I see could be posted here. There's no way our product is going to succeed. Do you just collect the paychecks and move on when it dies? Is there hope of raising the technical bar when you're in the minority? How do you work on a project you don't believe in?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Move on well before it dies, you don't want to be competing with those morons when you're all fired

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Keep doing your job as well as you know how. At the same time, update your resume, send it out, and talk to people you know at other companies. You just want to have a good exit strategy.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Always Be Considering (offers) should be the mantra for ambitious folks. At the very least, interviewing skills are not the same as work skills. And lastly, it might be painful but you may have to ask yourself how you got lumped in with Bad Engineers and do what you can to avoid that situation again. In most cases, you should be able to do a 9-to-5 easily enough while taking time off for some interviews or to work on side projects.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 15, 2016

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 15, 2016

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

xtal posted:

So maybe this is for the career thread but the coding horror people are probably able to help me just as well.

I work at a big company and I'm paid pretty well. The problem is that most other developers are straight up FizzBuzz level incompetent. Every line of code I see could be posted here. There's no way our product is going to succeed. Do you just collect the paychecks and move on when it dies? Is there hope of raising the technical bar when you're in the minority? How do you work on a project you don't believe in?

:sever:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

xtal posted:

Every line of code I see could be posted here. There's no way our product is going to succeed.
As an aside, these two statements are generally not causally related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 15, 2016