Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

vetinari100 posted:

I was so pumped to buy Zubmariner that I forgot that I got it for free as a backer. Here's a key for anyone that wants it:

**8*E-H6B9L-ZEV6W

* = M

Awesome. Thanks a bunch! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.

prometheusbound2 posted:

It's my understanding that Zubmariner is free to customers that purchased in Early Access. I bought into Early Access directly through the Failbetter store, and received a Steam key through the Humble storefront. However, I haven't received Zubmariner, Has anyone else had this issue? I contacted them, but I'm sure they're slammed and am curious if this is a general or specific issue.

We are indeed slammed, but methodically going through and giving keys to everyone who didn't get an automatic free copy. We will not forsake you!

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

marwood posted:

We are indeed slammed, but methodically going through and giving keys to everyone who didn't get an automatic free copy. We will not forsake you!

You passed up a perfectly good opportunity to promise that all will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

vetinari100 posted:

Everything you kill lowers your terror a bit (this is not explained anywhere).
This is no joke btw. 5 terror reduction for every trivial fightin' detour I make goes a hell of a long way towards keeping operating costs down.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I played several hours of Zubmariner. For context going into this I had probably 60k Echoes (mostly earned post-mirrorbox nerf fwiw while checking off legacies), several wins (bones, wealth, +hidden) and all Legacy items.

There's a fairly trivial bit of legwork to do before unlocking the Zub. There are lots of little bonuses for using the Zub in open waters, such as currents, drifts, and little interactive bits and bobs. All of the new ports have been interesting, and aside from several locked interactions in the classic game ports, the Zub content is out-of-sight.

It was a slightly unique experience because I had an untimely monster encounter directly before finishing the Zub, meaning I completed it with less than 1/3 hull remaining. So now my boat has this shiny new button, ready to dive, but I'm feeling very anxious about pressing it because... 1/3 hull... risks, and so forth. We dive.

The unterzee map is claustrophobic, the lighting is great. I was terrified of losing this dude without converting all his crap to Echoes first, because when I stopped playing I was about 50% of the way towards finishing the Song of the Zee and waffling about whether or not to start sacrificing valuables in pursuit of a different ambition instead. I'm sitting on a big pile of curiosities and knowledge items, and have completed most of the midgame quests basically.

My initial reaction is that the new ports greatly expand the choices and options you have for what to do, in what order, while smoothing out/avoiding desperate times. Superficially I see a lot more casual trade routes (this is not a trade simulator game, I'm talking about "mmmmmm, I have 20 free slots and I'm going in this direction," options), and a lot more uses for odds and ends than previously. I found more options for resolving the classic mid-game quests as well, whether because they were added in recent patches, Zubmariner specifically, or because I was dumb/bad on previous playthroughs- I can't say.

It appears to be a really solid expansion thematically and expands the midgame (the strongest aspect of SS to me) in a big way. I have ~115 hours in the game so far, and my only complaint is that they still have achievements disabled and I'm afraid that I'm going to roll over 10 years in a continuous lineage while they're disabled and miss out on 100% this awesome game.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

marwood posted:

Thanks so much! I'm sure this is a very exciting but also tiring time for the company. Can't wait to dig in.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I was surprised to see that I got the dlc for free! unfortunately i'm still very much garbage at the game and it's going to take me forever to actually see any of that content

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Ugh, at some point after getting the Go East ambition right after it came out, and right now, 72 hours worth of save files just up and vanished off my computer. I had a perfect save filled with cash and a tricked out ship I was saving expressly for Zubmariner and now I have nothing.

I guess I'll start over, but still, that hurts.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if it's a new thing, but the ports near London that I like to visit are having hard times.

Hunters Keep burned down
Quaker's Haven is shooting at me

What's next, is the lighthouse boat captain going to start throwing rotten tomatoes at my ship?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

cheetah7071 posted:

Well my save is broken or something. When I load it I get stuck in an empty patch of sea (that appears to be off the map based on where it centers when I open it), where I can't move, or do anything but open menus. My fuel and food are ticking down so I guess I can starve my way into making a new captain (which might be for the best because I haven't played in months and this captain is full of half-started stories that I don't remember) but this still sucks.

That's a corrupted save file. I don't know how that happens, just that it does.

This (and my constant loving with save files in notepad) is why I always have at least one recent backup. I just copy the save file and stick in a folder on my desktop. If I have a few good ones, I temporarily re-name them. If I need them, I just re-rename one and drop it back in the save file folder.

This is also a way to cheat death, but the game is honestly more fun of you don't do that. Or don't do it too much. I realize that may be odd coming from someone who admitted they edit the save file (and who urges others to do the same if that's what it take to enjoy the game) but my halfassed modding is done so I can see more content, and sooner. Cheating death does the opposite usually.

Excited to grab Zub when I can, once again regret not knowing about SS back during the Kickstarter.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it's a new thing, but the ports near London that I like to visit are having hard times.

Hunters Keep burned down

What's next, is the lighthouse boat captain going to start throwing rotten tomatoes at my ship?

Would it surprise you at all? I mean honestly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

That's a corrupted save file. I don't know how that happens, just that it does.

This (and my constant loving with save files in notepad) is why I always have at least one recent backup. I just copy the save file and stick in a folder on my desktop. If I have a few good ones, I temporarily re-name them. If I need them, I just re-rename one and drop it back in the save file folder.

This is also a way to cheat death, but the game is honestly more fun of you don't do that. Or don't do it too much. I realize that may be odd coming from someone who admitted they edit the save file (and who urges others to do the same if that's what it take to enjoy the game) but my halfassed modding is done so I can see more content, and sooner. Cheating death does the opposite usually.

Excited to grab Zub when I can, once again regret not knowing about SS back during the Kickstarter.

Would it surprise you at all? I mean honestly.

Do you know if it's possible to use save editing tools to at the very least get myself to a point where I can keep my legacy, instead of starting from scratch?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Soup du Journey posted:

not sure, but im at home and not wearing pants, so i can whip one up 4 u.

edit: ok, this one should cut fuel consumption by half, and this one should do the same for supplies. They should play well with each other, so you can run them together, or separately, or whatever.

Extract them into C:\Users\User Name\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\addon

nb: i didn't actually test them out beyond checking to see that higher number = slower, so let me know if the rates i set them to are bullshit and suck

Soup du Journey posted:

Yo wassup champs and champettes, its ya boy Soup du Journey, here with some dumb garbage:

I made a little mod to give myself some incentive to actually upgrade my little tugboat. It's probably not balanced. If any of you cats have been playing this semi-regularly at all during the past year and change, lemme know if the numbers look way too crazy. I haven't touched this game since some time in 2015 I guess? To reiterate, I don't want to break the game over my knee; just looking to take the heavier stuff out for a spin without feeling like I'm wasting my time doing it.

Link here if anyone wants to give it a spin. It gets extracted into C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\LocalLow\Failbetter Games\Sunless Sea\addon

Is there anything I need to do beyond extracting the files into the addon folder? My game keeps crashing to desktop (upon loading or starting a new game) whenever I have any of these mods installed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Hunters Keep burned down

Wait, what did you do to get Quaker's Haven to shoot at you? I've never had that happen before.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, what did you do to get Quaker's Haven to shoot at you? I've never had that happen before.

I'm not sure, but now all I have is the option to try and rescue refugees.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Trip report: expansion owns, monsters unter the zee absolutely do not screw around. The constant companion is terrifying and I still can't kill it with a heavily tricked out frigate and the memento mori. It does feel a bit odd that I can just surface and lose aggro, though I suppose the alternative would be worse.

I've already found a new ending, though I think it's more along the lines of stealing the zeppelin/going through the High Gate than a proper Ambition. If you perform the abyssal rituals in the right order, you can meet Lady Black and stay with her forever for an unspecified bonus to future captains. I've got no idea what that bonus is, since I took the other option and got a bunch of stat boosts and terror reduction to zero for my trouble.

I've been to all the new ports but it feels like I've barely scratched the surface. Only thing that seems to be lacking is any new officers but still, it's been great fun so far.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a new Mutton Island storyline with the pre-expansion patch, though I haven't got very far. Using up SAY there instead of in London has always been a tough sell for me.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
About Mutton Island, there's actually about five different events that could happen there at some time. It seems to be random, although the run I did Dawn Machine Supremacy was also the run where the New Sequence quarantined the place.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

cheetah7071 posted:

Do you know if it's possible to use save editing tools to at the very least get myself to a point where I can keep my legacy, instead of starting from scratch?

I'm not the best person to ask, I'm the person my family comes to when a computer isn't behaving the way they want, but that's only because I know how to Google a problem.

It might be possible to open it in notepad and search for the kind of symbols that show up with corrupted data sometimes, % and _ and such. It might not work, I've never tried it.

There's another option, though. What initially got me editing save files. My save got corrupted after roughly 40 hours, lots of legacy and a little bit of saving up (a lot, really, just a little compared to what can be done), and I'd just gotten items five and six for the Neathbow quest. gently caress doing that again immediately.

Anyway, I used the wiki to restore legacy, items, some of the more difficult qualities, etc. It wasn't exactly the same, and I started over with a new map and some other resets, but it was acceptable.

It's been a while since I played, so I at edit this later. Right now, this is all the pertinent info I can think of:

Changing the number of items you have is no big deal, just search for the six-digit number and change the number that corrosonds to however many of that item you have. It's not labeled but it's easy to find. I always bless myself with a couple thousand echoes to kill the tediousness of the initial scrape-by gameplay.

Adding items you haven't yet had in your possession is more tricky. If you copy the last line and substitute your 6-digit number and amount in, it might corrupt the game. The only way around this is to find and copy the nearest thing to it. If it's a gun, I copy this file for the peashooter you start out with. The wiki seems to have divided things by category more neatly now, you should be okay as long as you find and copy the lines for something in the same category on there.

If you're editing a brand-new game, there's not a whole lot if reason to back things up, unless you don't want to bother possibly going through the beginning selection again. If you're editing any save it would hurt you to lose, back it up. A separate folder and copy/paste are all you need to do that.

If you're editing your game save with any regularity, you're going to do something that game doesn't like now and then. It will corrupt sometimes. And nothing sucks more than realizing you forgot to backup your save before you tried to give yourself 1000 cargo slots.

Editing the save is much easier and safer than going into the game files willy-nilly, too. Mods are an exception, since they're separate from the main game files. I don't know how to make them, but I've used plenty posted here and elsewhere.

Don't edit the save while the game has it loaded. I've never tried it but I don't think it would work.

That's all I can think of. Sorry I don't know of a way to uncorrupt your save, since that would probably be less of a pain in the rear end than recreating the old save on a new file.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My save vanished too. Was end -game just before completing the fathers bones quest. Stream happy to watch game from start though.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ihatepants posted:

Is there anything I need to do beyond extracting the files into the addon folder? My game keeps crashing to desktop (upon loading or starting a new game) whenever I have any of these mods installed.

That's...really weird. All you need to do is dump them in the addon dir. I've been running my little homebrew without issue, and the supply and fuel mods change one value in one line each, so I doubt they're the culprits. Still, I'll load them up and check when I get up (I'm currently asleep in bed).

I have the dlc, but I don't think the ship/engine stat mod has anything that references it, and the other ones for sure don't, so it can't be that. Have you tried verifying your game cache? Are you extracting the files with directories intact (ie, are the .json files winding up in /addon/SdJHomebrew/entities/whatever the heck else I got in there)?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Angrymog posted:

My save vanished too. Was end -game just before completing the fathers bones quest. Stream happy to watch game from start though.

I just got a reply from Failbetter after sending them my save file as a bug report. The issue was a known bug and their support is capable of repairing save files affected by it. The most recent steam update (or possibly a soon-upcoming one? not sure) fixes the bug that breaks the saves.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I mean it's physically not on my disc anymore :(

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Angrymog posted:

I mean it's physically not on my disc anymore :(

BACKUPS

(I'm sorry that sucks)

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finally started putting some hours into this game and I really, really like it. The story-telling is top notch. However, I can't tell you how disappointing it is to finally get a good run going and have it abruptly ended by Mt. Nomad. Does every decision you made get reversed on the next captain? With how tedious travel can be, I'm kind of balking at doing stuff like Pigmote, Venderbight, etc all over again.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Soup du Journey posted:

That's...really weird. All you need to do is dump them in the addon dir. I've been running my little homebrew without issue, and the supply and fuel mods change one value in one line each, so I doubt they're the culprits. Still, I'll load them up and check when I get up (I'm currently asleep in bed).

I have the dlc, but I don't think the ship/engine stat mod has anything that references it, and the other ones for sure don't, so it can't be that. Have you tried verifying your game cache? Are you extracting the files with directories intact (ie, are the .json files winding up in /addon/SdJHomebrew/entities/whatever the heck else I got in there)?

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right and it sounds like I am. I have the dlc as well.

I don't think anything is at fault with your mods but for some reason my game just doesn't like having anything in that addon directory. Google was of no help and it might just be me having this issue. Even tried the fixes suggested for other causes of crashing, including deleting the game and appdata then just reinstalling from steam. Very odd.

I just ended up manually editing the changes you made into the default files in those directories, except for the engine mods because I'm using the fuel mod anyway.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

TheHoosier posted:

Does every decision you made get reversed on the next captain? With how tedious travel can be, I'm kind of balking at doing stuff like Pigmote, Venderbight, etc all over again.
Turn on merciful mode. The structure of the game really doesn't support a perma-death mechanic the way an actual rogue-like does.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Angrymog posted:

Turn on merciful mode. The structure of the game really doesn't support a perma-death mechanic the way an actual rogue-like does.
You get another chance at the perma-death achievement with every restart right?

Seems like the best advice for new players would be to hold off on going for the achievement until you have a Will and Scion in place. That really blunts the worst of it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ihatepants posted:

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right and it sounds like I am. I have the dlc as well.

I don't think anything is at fault with your mods but for some reason my game just doesn't like having anything in that addon directory. Google was of no help and it might just be me having this issue. Even tried the fixes suggested for other causes of crashing, including deleting the game and appdata then just reinstalling from steam. Very odd.

I just ended up manually editing the changes you made into the default files in those directories, except for the engine mods because I'm using the fuel mod anyway.

Glad you found a workaround, although its still super weird that's happening in the first place. By the by, I've been fiddling around with crew damage as well lately, since currently you're pretty much never gonna kill the crew before you sink the ship they're on (even if you're using flensing weapons), which means you'll never see the option to take prize ships, which in turn sort of obviates the need to ever carry more than half your ship's full crew complement.

At the moment, I've set "CrewDamageHullThreshold" to 1.0, up from 0.5, which means ships can suffer crew loss with every hit, rather than only when they're below 50% health. That still means you're probably not gonna get to do the prize ship thing if you're packing regular guns, but if you pick up anything that flenses, you'll probably start running into that option. That field lives in combatconstants.json, if you wanna give it a try as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I bought this game in the Steam sale and I love it, I've been playing it nonstop, but I also kind of hate it because literally the first time I saved up enough money to buy a new ship (after several days of play) I died on my first trip out with it so it kind of feels like I have to start all over again since I couldn't even pick the money legacy since I had just spent all my money.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

TheHoosier posted:

Finally started putting some hours into this game and I really, really like it. The story-telling is top notch. However, I can't tell you how disappointing it is to finally get a good run going and have it abruptly ended by Mt. Nomad. Does every decision you made get reversed on the next captain? With how tedious travel can be, I'm kind of balking at doing stuff like Pigmote, Venderbight, etc all over again.

Don't know if it's a bug or what, but I ran into that guy, was getting slaughtered, panicked and hamfingered my lights off - he pretty much instantly became blind and I just sailed in circles and over about 35 minutes chipped him to death. He respawned and I tried again and yeah, if the light wasn't shining he was pretty much utterly helpless.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've decided to retire the captain I had when zubmariner came out, but it's been months since I played--is there any retiring prep other than converting my echoes into heirlooms?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Spend all your Secrets improving whichever stat you want your next captain to inherit. Double-check you have a will written (I've almost forgotten to do this a few times). And if your next captain is choosing a legacy that lets them inherit echoes (one or both of the Veils or Mirrors choices), then go to the shipyard (after selling all your cargo and stuff) and trade in your ship for the crappy one so you get the echoes from that.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
There are additional legacies that give +25 to certain stats for all future captains. See if you can reasonably complete some of the game-ending or nearly game ending choices in here:
http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Legacy

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are there any permanent negative consequences that go from captain to captain?

Like, if I mess around with weirdos working in the Southwest, will it create a permanent lose condition that doesn't let me head out with a new captain?

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there any permanent negative consequences that go from captain to captain?

Like, if I mess around with weirdos working in the Southwest, will it create a permanent lose condition that doesn't let me head out with a new captain?

If I'm interpreting the wiki right, pursuing the Exaltation ending will effectively reset all your stats and get rid of your will and scion so that your next captain has to start from scratch, but otherwise there aren't any persistent penalties from generation to generation, only bonuses that you may or may not have.

If you're talking about what I think you are, raising Supremacy: The Dawn Machine too high will result in the Admiral being permanently unavailable, but only for that captain - all shall be well on the next playthrough.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So has anyone else here run into the Constant Companion?

That thing is horrifying and I don't know what causes it to spawn- it's definitely not totally random though, because it spawned right on top of me. :gonk:

The worst part is that music though.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

So has anyone else here run into the Constant Companion?

That thing is horrifying and I don't know what causes it to spawn- it's definitely not totally random though, because it spawned right on top of me. :gonk:

The worst part is that music though.
Yes, usually with a tramp-steamer, and usually from ambush same as you, and usually only long enough to get brutally murdered. :gonk: indeed.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Its spawning conditions appear to be when you leave an underwater port witb 70+ terror.

Also, in the beta it had more health than Mt. Nomad.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
what do you guys farm for echoes? i've been hunting lorn-flukes for their cores because they are so easy to kill with a little cheesey sailing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what do you guys farm for echoes? i've been hunting lorn-flukes for their cores because they are so easy to kill with a little cheesey sailing

Once I get a ship with a decent hold, I do the parabola-linen run (buy supplies in London, fuel in the Iron Republic, coffee in Port Carnelian, turn coffee into Parabola-Linen in Irem, sell the Parabola-Linen in London). This earns you $22 per cargo space and has the advantage of taking you all over the map so basically any island you want to visit is only a short detour away. It allows you to gain echoes without devoting much time to "farming" them.

• Locked thread