Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is wurzagg a savage war boss or a shaman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

A shaman who can lead an army.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Depends on if he's violently cunning, or cunningly violent.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Olive Branch posted:

Olive Branch vs. Trujillo - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Well played, that first match had me sweating, think it may have been the closest/longest lasting match of this tournament so far.

Here's my matches with Thanqol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3hxddogmcuq8v7/Thanqol%20vs%20Sammut.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Greenskins (Thanqol) vs VC (Sammut) Vlad, grave guard and varghulfs against a giant, chariots and a satisfied doom diver crew
Round 2 - Chaos (Thanqol) vs Greenskins (Sammut) Charging into a goblin's nest, kissing goblins, goblin vomit, catch em in bed with a goblin https://vine.co/v/5zuxVVKrO5u
Round 3 - Dwarves (Thanqol) vs Bretonnia (Sammut) Bretonnian cavalry goes on a frenzy on a dwarf hill
Round 4 - VC (Thanqol) vs Beastmen (Sammut) The closest of the series, good maneuvering with the blood knights/varghulfs, may have won with vlad or mannfred instead of ghorst

Results: Sammut 4

Thanks for the fun series, did well for having just started playing mp today, and good luck against your next opponent.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why does my bestial rage keep reseting to 80? I've never gotten a brayherd!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Baron Porkface posted:

Why does my bestial rage keep reseting to 80? I've never gotten a brayherd!

You need 17 or more units in a stack to generate a brayherd, otherwise rage will cap at 80.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Those horsemasters look awesome. 37 missile damage for 60 light cavalry could be some serious mobile firepower.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I got crushed pretty bad today but I did manage to get some games within sight of victory. My micro seems to hold up but I've got a lot to learn about army composition and dealing with an opponent that can just choose not to take an engagement if they don't want to. Multiplayer is definitely a very different beast to campaign play.

Thanks for showing me the ropes guys!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Arcsquad12 posted:

He's the best dancer in the old world.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Thanqol posted:

I got crushed pretty bad today but I did manage to get some games within sight of victory. My micro seems to hold up but I've got a lot to learn about army composition and dealing with an opponent that can just choose not to take an engagement if they don't want to. Multiplayer is definitely a very different beast to campaign play.

Thanks for showing me the ropes guys!
Thanks for being such a great sport, Thanqol! I'll be working on an MP post to help out new players consider composition and match ups!

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I'm really liking the new Lords direction, the dudes in Grim and the Grave were all great and the Lords in this DLC look even more interesting mechanically. Wurzag getting like a whole slate of campaign bonuses, his own faction, unique special ability he starts with plus a bunch of magic items and unique skills is awesome.

I noticed in the stream yesterday too that they changed his magic tree, it's all one bar outside the first point and capstone ability so you can grab your best spell at Level 3 or go straight for earthing or whatever. If that's a game-wide change it's pretty welcome, will make leveling up spellcasters a lot less tedious.

It also looks like the new Lords all start with a free hero, I guess it's probably just to replace the freebie the main factions get from completing the first quest battle but it does mean they all get to have a different starting hero, which is neat.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Are there any mods that make WAAGHs less common for the player character? Greenskins are my favorite faction but waaghs are so goddamn annoying, they happen way too often and cheese the game up

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Dartonus posted:

You need 17 or more units in a stack to generate a brayherd, otherwise rage will cap at 80.

fffffffffffuck there goes my campaign

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Would it be possible to mod the 'Awaken Tribe' option for Chaos to make the new faction your vassal rather than your ally?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baron Porkface posted:

fffffffffffuck there goes my campaign

And that's why you fill your stacks with a bunch of gobbo spearmen to get over the Waaaaagh threshhold.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What is the way to play beastmen? I cleared out two Brettonian factions but they're getting harder and harder to beat and they always turtle up in the cities. I feel like I must be missing something because I think I should be getting more growth than I am but I'm after maybe 15 turns I still haven't built any of the 4 pop buildings.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ammanas posted:

Are there any mods that make WAAGHs less common for the player character? Greenskins are my favorite faction but waaghs are so goddamn annoying, they happen way too often and cheese the game up

Are you finding the game is too easy with waaghs? What difficulty are you on? Turning that up gives the AI better stats and cash, so you really need the free waaghs. Also, waaghs feel very overpowered early in the campaign, but later on your ability to make money will really cap out and you need the free waagh units. Not sure how deep into a campaign you are but keep that in mind.

Also you could self impose a limit of 17(?) units per stack. I think that is the magic number that spawns a full waagh stack.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
e: double phone post

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 15, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

What is the way to play beastmen? I cleared out two Brettonian factions but they're getting harder and harder to beat and they always turtle up in the cities. I feel like I must be missing something because I think I should be getting more growth than I am but I'm after maybe 15 turns I still haven't built any of the 4 pop buildings.

Your growth expectations are probably a bit high, but in general growth management is pretty key with Beastmen. You don't get an easy +5 growth skill like Chaos, and you have to deal with a number of events and buildings giving you negative horde growth.

You really want to try not to lean too much on the moon replenishment especially, as it drains your growth severely. The +50% or full replenishment is worth it, if you need the healing, but +10% replenishment for 3-4 turns of crippling negative growth? It's a trap option, don't take it. Taking a gamble on the event that gives you massive growth for six turns of no replenishment can pay off in a big way if you're able to time it right.

Likewise, the first tech you shoot for should be the one that gives you +3 growth, and there's a skill further down the blue line that gives your lord a whopping +10 growth, I consider it mandatory for every Beastmen Lord except Malagor, because he just has too much other cool poo poo I want to give him.

As far as sieges go, just never bother going for the walls unless you have time to prepare a bunch of siege towers. Use minotaurs/gorebulls to batter down the gates and swarm through, if you climb the walls at all do it from the inside of the city,.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really hate Waaghs/Brayherds, they are so dumb and gimmicky.

Maybe if they were completely out of your control to represent how wild and bestial your faction is (and so that I don't have to use the horrible 40 unit UI when you are fighting battles with your waagh)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I mostly ignore Waagh/Brayherds these days, yeah. They heavily encourage auto-resolving which is anti-fun really.

What I do instead of using them as a force multiplier is just send them off to clean up small armies and take minor settlements that are out of the way. As a tool of convenience I find them way less annoying in general.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Koth posted:

There ARE still a few units missing from the Chaos roster though, most notably Warshrines, Chimeras, Slaughterbeasts(?), Mutalith Vortex Beasts(???) and Daemon Princes (which actually have always been available to mortal Chaos, in addition to Daemonic armies).

isn't that the demons of chaos thing tho

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

A Beginner's Guide to Multiplayer in Total War: Warhammer

Before I begin, I'm putting out a call to any and all goon players who have better knowledge of each faction to complete this beginner's guide! Any other strategies or advice to newbies come to mind? PM or reply to me so I can add it to this guide! Images for factions to come soon.

If you're bored of stomping the AI in single player and want to give your tactical and control skills a shot, the multiplayer in Total War: Warhammer can be a great way to test your intelligence and mettle against players who can actually think back instead of working off a script (for the most part). But multiplayer is an entirely different beast from single player, as unit costs, abilities, army composition, map choice, and what faction you're going up against all play a role in how you approach the battle.

Getting Started

Here are three "meta" tips to consider before going into multiplayer:

First, you'll probably want to debug the camera to be able to view the entire battlefield. Watch Party Elite's video for instructions. Note that this can bug out sometimes and zooming up and down becomes really slow: if this happens, double-click a unit card to zoom to that unit and you'll reset the camera.

Second, if you hold down space in battle you will see a menu of different features you can toggle on or off. I suggest turning on 'hide foliage' so you can turn off the tree leaves when you're zoomed into a forest.

Third, as you can't pause in multiplayer unless both players click pause, it helps to get accustomed to fighting without pausing and know some special shortcut commands to react on the fly. Once again, Party Elite's video does a great job of explaining unit controls.

Basic Multiplayer Tactics

Flanking an enemy by attacking their rear or sides when they are engaged in the front is the bread and butter of a successful battle. Cavalry and flying units are the best at this as they have the speed and mobility to get around an opponent and then charge in for great damage and morale shock. If you have a numbers advantage, it is better to flank with one unit and engage the other head-on than to just engage both units from the front. It's also worth sacrificing a cheap unit, such as goblins, to catch a charge or entangle an opponent while your heavier hitters go around the sides.

Rushing is where you take an infantry and cavalry-heavy army with few skirmishers/artillery and just run straight in for a fast engagement. It's a simple but relatively effective strategy. The advantage of being agressive is that you get to pick your engagements and a likely numbers superiority to rout the opponent's melee line. If you suspect your opponent will make heavy use of magic amd abilities while you are not, rushing will also give you an opportunity to hurt them before they can trigger these abilities and magic.

Skirmishing is by using missile units to fire on enemy units to soften them up, or better yet, focusing your fire on one unit so it dies quicker. Skirmishing is the best way to counter enemy air units or big units such as trolls or giants as well. Protecting your missile units from cavalry and air units is key, so support your missile line with spearmen or cavalry. Artillery also is part of skirmishing: cannons can blow up cavalry quite well, and if you can land the missile, catapults can rip apart armored infantry. Similarly, kiting an enemy uses fast and mobile skirmishing units such as horse archers to fire on lightly-armored enemies on the move, and move away before they can reach you. Skirmishing isn't a big part of Warhammer's tactics unless you play Bretonnia, Dwarfs, or Empire, so while you'll want some missile units in any army (except Vampire Counts), don't overcommit to them.

Cycle charging, or hammer-and-anvil, involves charging with a unit, pulling back after the charge is done, and repeating the charge. This can be micro-intensive and won't always work if your opponent is wise to it, but if you can pull it off a high-charge unit like shock cavalry can hammer-and-anvil an enemy unit to death quickly. Don't let your unit get bogged down, however: they will take a lot of damage pulling back if there isn't a clear escape route. This is also a popular tactic with air units and heroes. To counter an air cycle charge, try to engage heavy-mass units such as cavalry around the air unit(s) so they cannot push through and take to the skies again. See Yukitsu's video against Captain Beans for a better example of this counter.

General sniping is where you focus on killing an enemy general, either with magic or a high-damage, high-charge unit. This strategy is less prevalent now due to health potions and changes to the magic system, but pulling it off can be good to shock enemy units morale and make it easier to win. Just be aware that lord auras can also come from heroes and certain elite units, so while removing a general can be a great idea, it may be better to just deal with the army and let morale and power bar imbalance do the "killing" for you. Check to see if the enemy lord or general has any health potions by mousing over them and looking at the statistics window: a red or blue potion icon is a sign you shouldn't bother focusing too many resources on them.

Army Composition

Army compositions vary from faction to faction, and the first and last thing you must consider when building your army is, "What is my plan to win?" Every faction has its own strengths and weaknesses (some more than others) and depending on your opponent, certain units become more attractive and others less so. As an example, when facing the Vampire Counts, getting a unit that causes terror just for the terror aspect is worthless, while getting one that is large and has a big HP pool (e.g. a Giant or a Steam Tank) is a better choice as the undead have few anti-large options. The units you choose can also help focus on a particular unit that the enemy could choose, so consider what your opponent may take.

The Factor of Cost-Effectiveness

No matter what faction you pick, when presented with its entire roster, it becomes tempting to snap up an all-elite force and ignore your low-tier options. However, the standard gold limit in multiplayer is 12,400. This means you can't afford to take everything you want, and sometimes, paying for an elite unit becomes in itself a waste of money when you could've bought two mid-tier troops for the same price. Ultimately, when deciding your army composition and game plan, you have to keep cost-effectiveness in mind. Ask yourself if paying for a particular unit will help your win condition, and if so, if there is a possibly cheaper alternative in order to bolster another flagging element of your composition.

As a general rule of thumb, mid-tier units are your best bet to have a happy compromise of melee attack and defense with unit cost. Cheaper infantry serves to bog down the enemy and elite infantry can push a flank or particular section of the battle line in your favor, but the large bulk of your army and killing power will likely come from your mid-tier units. Some factions have more options than others for mid-tier units.

Considering Magic and Heroes

New to Total War: Warhammer is the magic system and heroes. Wizard heroes can cast spells. By and large, direct damage magic has taken a beating and is almost never really worth taking with the exception of certain lores, or if expecting certain tactics to be used against you (the Vampire "Death Star" comes to mind). Buffing and debuffing magic has become a stronger option, though again, some lores are still not that great at doing this for its spells' mana cost. Summoning spells from the Lore of the Wild and the Lore of Beasts are excellent choices, as they can summon a powerful creature into the battlefield for, at most, half its actual cost in the roster.

The Lore of Light has great spells in the Net of Amyntok to freeze enemies in their tracks and Pha's Protection for defense.
The Lore of Fire has excellent buffing in the Cascading Fire Cloak and Flaming Sword of Rhuin, and combined with the Kindleflame passive, can give extra damage to fire-weapon sources. Fireball is also a decent damage spell.
The Lore of Heavens has the amazing Curse of the Midnight Wind to debuff enemy attack and armor (try overcasting it!) and Harmonic Convergence for a single unit. Its damage spells are all pretty bad though.
The Lore of Metal is pretty weak. Transmutation of Lead is probably its best spell to lower enemy attack and damage.
The Lore of Big Waaagh! has 'Ere We Go to massively buff melee attack in an area effect and Fists of Gork to add armor piercing damage to your units. These two spells together are an armored opponent's worst nightmare.
The Lore of Little Waaagh! has Sneaky Stabbin' to buff melee attack and add a percentage to armor piercing (good for already-AP units) and Itchy Nuisance to drop an enemy's attack and weapon strength. Use both in a contested part of the melee line for best results!
The Lore of Death has Soulblight to lower enemy leadership, armor, and damage, and a cheap terror-causing spell in Aspect of the Dreadknight to push wavering enemies over into terrified status (if you don't have a terror-causing unit).
The Lore of Vampires has the must-take Invocation of Nehek to heal your undead units (overcasting gives it an aura effect), and if you can cast it right, the Wind of Death to absolutely wreck an enemy line.
The Lore of the Wild has Viletide for a cheap explosion, Devolve for direct damage and lowered leadership, and the must-have Savage Dominion to summon a Cygor!
The Lore of Beasts has Flock of Doom for a cheap AOE damage spell, and the almighty Transformation of Kadon to summon a Manticore!

Heroes are special units that have high HP, attack, defense, and weapon strength. Their attacks are almost always AOE in delivering damage. They can bolster a battle line with their abilities, damage, and morale-boosting (if they have it). Heroes can take on an entire unit of regular infantry by themselves, but getting bogged down by elite infantry or a stronger hero almost always ends badly. Be aware that lords are themselves heroes, but the lord is the general of the army, and the hero just a regular unit, so lords have talents heroes don't get access to. Having a hero or two in an army, especially a magic caster, is a good idea if you have access to a particular spell that can support your main battle line. When fighting heroes, it's best to try and ignore them, dealing with the enemy army instead, or using your own hero to fight theirs off. They are hard to kill directly in most cases.

Shields and Armor

Another aspect of units to consider is whether they have shields and/or armor. Shields block missile fire (not artillery fire) from the front, armor reduces overall damage taken from a successful hit. Shielded units are a poor choice to target with your skirmishers unless you have no other choice or that unit needs softening up. When fighting an armored foe, having armor-piercing damage is the best way to punch through their defenses and get more damage in with each hit. Great weapon variants of units are the best choice for piercing armor, but they usually have lower melee defense values and cost more money. It's not a bad strategy to entangle an enemy's armor-piercing units with your non-armored units so that their AP damage is wasted.

Armored units can tank a lot of damage and hold a line for some time, but don't forget that morale is important too. The best way to counter heavily armored units is to morale-shock them or charge them in the rear with cavalry or high-charge units when they're engaged, then pull back and charge them again. Other sources of damage, like anti-large or anti-infantry bonuses or explosion damage from artillery, is also good to soften up enemy morale and HP.

The Factions

Beastmen

Bretonnia

Chaos

Dwarfs

Empire

Greenskins - Contributed by Olive Branch

'Ere we go, boyz! The Greenskins are all about high melee attack infantry, strong cavalry (boar-valry?), and a couple of choice monsters to take out armored units and inflict terror in the hearts of their foes. They are one of the stronger factions in multiplayer, and definitely one of my favorites. Their artillery is decent, and the Doom Diver Catapults are very nice indeed, with "self-guiding" missiles. Magically, they use the Lores of Big and Little Waaagh! to (what else?) pump their attack even higher.

For your choice of lord, the regular Orc Warboss on a boar mount is a good cost-effective choice, as it gives you access to potions and armor-piercing on top of speed. The Goblin Great Shaman can be a decent choice if you're going to focus more on spells and frees up money to get an Orc Shaman for the second Greenskin Lore of Magic, but his melee statistics are garbage. Grimgor Ironhide gets no mount at all, and his statistics are not that much better than an Orc Warboss on a warboar. Azhag the Slaughterer gets the option to fly on Skullmuncha and access to the Lore of Death, as well as a unique poison-inflicting item, but he can be quite expensive.

The Greenskin heroes are the Goblin Big Boss, the Night Goblin Shaman, and the Orc Shaman. The Goblin Big Boss is an extremely cheap hero for what he can do, and putting a healing/defense potion on him is a great idea. He can also get on a wolf mount or a poison-inflicting spider mount. The two shamans can focus on the Little and Big Waaagh! lores, respectively.

Goblins, Night Goblins (and Fanatics) and Orc Boyz are all your cheap infantry units that can bog down enemies and blunt their charges, but don't expect them to do much damage without buffing spells. Savage Orcs are excellent for damage dealing, but the true stars of the Greenskins are the Orc Big 'Uns, who have an anti-large bonus and very high melee values for mid-tier infantry. Savage Orc Big 'Uns are less reliable in combat than regular Big 'Uns, I've found. Black Orcs are your armor-piercing elite unit, but don't go overboard on them, as they are expensive.

The ranged component for the Greenskins is relatively poor. I like Goblin Archers for their price and numbers, and they're probably the best choice you've got as a Greenskins player, unless you want to inflict ranged poison with the Night Goblin Archers. Orc Arrer Boyz and Savage Orc Arrer Boyz are expensive and are beaten by other factions' archers because their range is lower and, oddly, they get an accuracy penalty. Their melee stats are decent for ranged units, but the last thing you want to do is enter melee with them.

Goblin Wolf Riders and Forest Goblin Spider Riders are light cavalry best used for chasing routing units off the map. Having one or two in your army is a good investment unless you're fighting the Vampire Counts, who don't run away. Orc Boar Boyz and Savage Orc Boar Boyz are good infantry-fighting cavalry thanks to their armor-piercing, but I found that going in with the Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns (or their Savage variant) is a much better use of your gold, as they are dedicated anti-cavalry and anti-large heavy units. After mopping up the enemy cavalry, these big orcs can do the job of charging in, if your infantry hasn't already beaten down the enemy into submission. I've never used the Orc Boar Chariot as the Greenskins have monsters capable of filling the "big and heavy single target" role.

Skirmisher cavalry for the Greenskins is decent but not that great. They get outranged by regular foot skirmishers and the Greenskins do better at rushing tactics than skirmishing ones.

The Greenskins get access to monsters in the form of Trolls, who can regenerate and pierce armor but have low leadership, Giants (best against Vampire Counts, who can't shoot it down from range) and the devastating Arachnarok Spider, which is probably the strongest monster in the game. I love to take in a couple of Giants against the Vampires or one Arachnarok Spider to smash up non-spear infantry on the enemy lines and poison foes. The spider has lower morale than you'd expect, though, so don't let it get plastered by a lot of missile fire if you can help it.

Artillery for the Greenskins include the Goblin Rock Lobbas and the Doom Diver Catapults. Their range is lower than other factions' but you can force an enemy to come to you if you have one or two of them.

For a standard army, I usually like taking an Orc Warboss on a mount with a defense potion for backup, a couple of Goblin Big Bosses with potions, and a Night Goblin Shaman with Sneaky Stabbin' and Itchy Nuisance. A couple of Goblins or Orc Boyz form a front line to draw enemy missile fire and engage the enemy's front line, while my main line is drawn up with Savage Orcs and Orc Boy Big 'Uns. I like taking a couple of Goblin Archers in case of large enemy units, and two or three Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns to deal with enemy cavalry. I end it by taking a Giant or Arachnarok Spider so I can inflict fear on my opponents.

Against the Beastmen, Minotaurs and Cygors will be your greatest challenge, but the lack of armor on the Beastmen means you won't have to worry overmuch about taking armor-piercing units. Beware of Ungor Raiders, who can surprise you by firing before you can see them, and who can focus-fire your monsters. Your cavalry will also be superior to theirs, if they even bother to bring any. Don't bother taking artillery against them. Rush them before they can summon their monsters because I guarantee they'll have a wizard or two calling up their big guns.

Against Bretonnia, your cavalry will have to be strong to beat theirs, and monsters will not be a good idea as the Bretonnian infantry has anti-large for cheap. Beware of archer-heavy compositions that can shred your non-missile units. Worse, their air power will likely set the stage against you. Bring some anti-large units and fast cavalry to harass their archers, as well as some shielded infantry, to prevent getting poked full of holes. An artillery piece can help force them to come to you, but you will have to envelop them first.

Against Chaos, don't worry too much about armor-piercing. Bring some magic that boosts melee attack and armor-piercing, maybe a catapult, and force them to come to you. Target their expensive infantry if they paid good money for Chosen. Your anti-large cavalry will beat theirs and you'll be able to afford way more cavalry than they ever will. Their slow speed will let you pick them off with impunity.

Against Dwarves, take an artillery piece to force their slow little legs to lumber over to you, and a couple of archers to deal with any Gyrocopters they've brought. Again, your magic will deal with armor-piercing and high Dwarven defense. Alternatively, go on the offensive and rush them if you suspect they're bringing more than one artillery piece, or if they're overinvesting in ranged units. Anti-large cavalry is unnecessary because they have no cavalry to speak of.

Against the Empire, Demigryph Knights with flying heroes are probably your greatest threat, as the Greenskins don't have much of an answer to deal with fliers. Your infantry is, for the most part, superior to theirs, and magic will push that over the top. Be careful of getting shredded by artillery and their superior missile troops. Planning an army against the Empire is difficult as they have so many possible builds.

Against other Greenskins, you'll want to consider getting an edge over them with proper magic and better cavalry than them. Artillery could help, but I haven't fought enough mirror matches to be sure. Your infantry choice will dictate a winner, so a Goblin or two can help slow down their bigger, stronger infantry while you prepare a flank.

Against the Vampire Counts, bring two or three archers with you, but don't bother with artillery. Giants are the monster of choice against the Vampire Counts, and even if they bring Blood Knights, they'll be paying close to the cost of two Orc Boar Boy Big 'Uns for one of theirs. Consider slapping on a vortex damaging spell like Curse of Da Bad Moon if you suspect the Vampire Death Star strategy, where they put their entire army into one compact ball and use Mortis Engines and Invocation of Nehek to keep themselves healed and slowly damage you over time.

Vampire Counts

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 16, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mans posted:

isn't that the demons of chaos thing tho
All of those things listed are Chaos Warriors units not demon units. Save the Daemon prince which is shared between them.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dwarves vs chaos.jpg

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

Are you finding the game is too easy with waaghs? What difficulty are you on? Turning that up gives the AI better stats and cash, so you really need the free waaghs. Also, waaghs feel very overpowered early in the campaign, but later on your ability to make money will really cap out and you need the free waagh units. Not sure how deep into a campaign you are but keep that in mind.

Also you could self impose a limit of 17(?) units per stack. I think that is the magic number that spawns a full waagh stack.

vh/vh. Army limit is a good idea. Didnt know that applied to greenskins too

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Olive Branch is gonna post the replays but holy poo poo, last game my entire empire army breaks on the last two quarter health thanes and turns a solid victory into the worst defeat.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

I fought two opponents back to back, so here's a double feature!

Olive Branch vs. Nanomashoes - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Nanomashoes was a great opponent to fight against and very conscious of following legality rules on his compositions, which is always appreciated with fair play!

Game 1: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Bretonnia (Nanomashoes) Chaos runs like a little girl into the woods to avoid a hailstorm of trebuchet rocks. King Louen Leoncoeur's finest archers make the soldiers fight in the shade.
Game 2: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Nanomashoes) Greenskins declare a waaagh, Beastmen roar back louder.
Game 3: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Beastmen (Nanomashoes) The Bretonnian cavalry gets their world rocked like a hurricane, but the grubby peasants don't drop their spears.
Game 4: Dwarfs (Olive Branch) vs. Empire (Nanomashoes) Dawi don't break. Thanes flagellate wazzocks with their beards when all else is lost. Massive disbelief ensues.
Total Result: Olive Branch 4 - 0 Nanomashoes

Click on the links for the appropriate replay file.

Olive Branch vs. Triskelli - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Triskelli followed up and brought some neat ideas into play, and we found solidarity in bemoaning the special/rare limitations on the Empire.

Game 1: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Dwarfs (Triskelli) A Fire Sorcerer Vassily Zaitsevs Dwarven artillery with fireballs. A Gorebeast Chariot thinks it's in Grand Theft Auto and runs over the Dwarven lines.
Game 2: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Empire (Triskelli) The French finally get some revanchism on the Germans.
Game 3: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Triskelli) An orc soccer match by the lakeside is ruined by Chicago Bulls sports fans demanding a gang fight to determine if basketball is better than footie.
Game 4: Dwarfs (Olive Branch) vs. Chaos (Triskelli) That Fire Sorcerer from game 1 switches teams and tears apart Gyrocopters with his fireballs, but Dawi beards and bullets blunt Slaneesh's perverse followers.
Total Result: Olive Branch 4 - 0 Triskelli

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
All games played are recorded!

I'll be updating the scores/records of everyone in between me re-posting this post with the rules and player records. That will make it easy for me to review the thread for all games played since my last update post.

quote:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Rules

Basic rules:
- Round robin style, all players will play 4 battles vs every other player on the list. Overall tournament winners will be determined by best overall record. Players with the same record will play tiebreaker matches best of 3.
- Once you play a faction against an opponent you may not pick that faction again in the current set of 4 games agaisnt that same opponent.
- Each player must use at least one of the following factions in the first 3 games - Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen.
- Players will lock in their faction choice in the prebattle lobby using the following method: One player will state their faction selection in chat "locking them into that faction" and then the second player picks a faction. First pick rotates each game.

Army Selection Rules:
- no Grim & Grave regiments of renown
- Using the following limits found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit?usp=sharing
25% minimum core units
25% max leadership units
25% max special units
25% max rare units
~2% wiggle room allowed so people don't go crazy trying to fit something in exactly
veteran rank costs don't count towards a core/special/rare category

Battle Maps:
1) L'Anguille
2) MP Peak Pass
3) MP Blue Reach River
4) Pillar of Bone

Battle Actions:
- No corner camping defined as having the flanks of your army end on the red line on both sides
- No playing for a draw
- If you have artillery you may hang back as long as it's not camped in a corner.

Tips to Be a Cool Dude:
- save some army set ups before hand, the core/special/rare setup demands a little extra time. Respect your opponents time and limit fiddling around building your army right before battle.

Alternate Win Condition/Prize:
- Player with the most total game wins using any of the following factions Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen will be gifted their choice of DLC (excluding the $20 beastmen one). If the winner owns all the DLC you can nominate your favorite opponent to receive it.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxZ9nicoIo

This format is really interesting, it's causing me to use specific factions in ways that I normally wouldn't want to. Brettonia really relies on its heroes to function and almost always has more than 25%, so figuring out ways around that are interesting. Beastmen can't really win easily without special slots, trying to compensate for that for me so far has been really hard. Dwarves because of the mandatory 25% core troops, many of which are not armour piercing can actually excel, especially if a faction is forced into taking 25%-50% or so armour piercing units. Chaos is in the same camp, since they can run many heavily armoured units they can put themselves into a situation where they can't be cost effectively countered with the units some factions have available.

I've watched game two's replay a few times to try and learn what happened in the morale there and then compared it to some others and I just cannot figure out what was causing a lot of my units to suddenly drop in morale and break in situations that don't really make much sense. It gets under my skin a bit because I have a lot of games that I play where my general buggers off at about 3/4 health but when my opponent's general is surrounded by units, down to 1/4 health and is getting damaged at the time, they seem steady as a rock. Like, mechanically, what happened to Olive's general in game 3 where he breaks on about 1/8th health when surrounded and taking large amounts of damage is what mechanically should happen, but his morale isn't any higher than a paladin in the general radius' morale. I need to check my games because I'm sure it happens to my opponents a lot as well but I just don't notice it, but man does it ever suck when your units break at high health.

2-2 match, dead even. Both of us using underdog factions each game.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I manage the beastmen economy effectively? I lost to bankruptcy again! is it even possible to run 3 or more stacks?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I manage the beastmen economy effectively? I lost to bankruptcy again! is it even possible to run 3 or more stacks?

Only semi joking answer (depending on difficulty setting): Run just one stack that's your LL, 2 Gorebulls, and a mix of minotaurs to taste.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baron Porkface posted:

The campaign I ran I managed two stacks but I had to do occassional reloading. Basically after the first couple of towns you have to just be constantly plundering.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Baron Porkface posted:

I never went above two stacks and one hero in my GC (on VH) and didn't have any problems finishing it. The early and early-mid game is indeed a race against bankruptcy, you'll pretty much have to plan out your raiding/sacking route so that there's as few wasted turns (= no raiding or sacking income) as possible.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I picked up a third stack eventually but the majority of the heavy lifting was done by the two starters. You don't really need to overwhelm with numbers of stacks because you're way more manoeuvrable than everything around you and can vanish at any time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I found raiding to be very effective as the Beastmen, too - more so than as Chaos. You can just raid rich provinces rather than razing them until such time as they've outlived their usefulness as a cash cow, and then even with a big deficit you've got around 50 turns' leeway to find another cash cow province to keep you going for even longer.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cmon CA give us another sandbox to play in. Adding new toys is nice but we're still in the same sandbox.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I think the new start positions for Black Hand(?), Crooked Moon and Clan Angrund will be a nice change of pace. It'll be a while yet until we see any extension to the world I reckon.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Yukitsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qxZ9nicoIo

This format is really interesting, it's causing me to use specific factions in ways that I normally wouldn't want to. Brettonia really relies on its heroes to function and almost always has more than 25%, so figuring out ways around that are interesting. Beastmen can't really win easily without special slots, trying to compensate for that for me so far has been really hard. Dwarves because of the mandatory 25% core troops, many of which are not armour piercing can actually excel, especially if a faction is forced into taking 25%-50% or so armour piercing units. Chaos is in the same camp, since they can run many heavily armoured units they can put themselves into a situation where they can't be cost effectively countered with the units some factions have available.

I've watched game two's replay a few times to try and learn what happened in the morale there and then compared it to some others and I just cannot figure out what was causing a lot of my units to suddenly drop in morale and break in situations that don't really make much sense. It gets under my skin a bit because I have a lot of games that I play where my general buggers off at about 3/4 health but when my opponent's general is surrounded by units, down to 1/4 health and is getting damaged at the time, they seem steady as a rock. Like, mechanically, what happened to Olive's general in game 3 where he breaks on about 1/8th health when surrounded and taking large amounts of damage is what mechanically should happen, but his morale isn't any higher than a paladin in the general radius' morale. I need to check my games because I'm sure it happens to my opponents a lot as well but I just don't notice it, but man does it ever suck when your units break at high health.

2-2 match, dead even. Both of us using underdog factions each game.
The leadership issue is definitely something I've experienced before, where routing units still wouldn't recover until some high leadership value rather than anything above zero. Unlike you though I actually think that second match could've gone your way; the victory was razor thin! Also, as you pointed out, I was hoping to fight in the woods because I figured they would give my large units an advantage over yours, and to hide until a Cygor could be summoned. I honestly didn't want to be cheesy or anything of the sort, though!

Again, good games Yukitsu! I look forward to seeing what shenanigans you can do with chariots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Olive Branch posted:

Olive Branch vs. Triskelli - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Triskelli followed up and brought some neat ideas into play, and we found solidarity in bemoaning the special/rare limitations on the Empire.

Game 1: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Dwarfs (Triskelli) A Fire Sorcerer Vassily Zaitsevs Dwarven artillery with fireballs. A Gorebeast Chariot thinks it's in Grand Theft Auto and runs over the Dwarven lines.
Game 2: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Empire (Triskelli) The French finally get some revanchism on the Germans.
Game 3: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (Triskelli) An orc soccer match by the lakeside is ruined by Chicago Bulls sports fans demanding a gang fight to determine if basketball is better than footie.
Game 4: Dwarfs (Olive Branch) vs. Chaos (Triskelli) That Fire Sorcerer from game 1 switches teams and tears apart Gyrocopters with his fireballs, but Dawi beards and bullets blunt Slaneesh's perverse followers.
Total Result: Olive Branch 4 - 0 Triskelli

One theme in both Dwarf/Chaos matchups was just how effective fireballs are as a projectile. Olive Branch was able to snipe my artillery pieces pretty drat regularly with just the standard fireballs, while a lucky overcast managed to nearly destroy a unit of Gyrocopters when I got the chance to return the favor.

Overall though Olive Branch regularly showed mastery of terrain effects and engaging the main battle on his own terms.

• Locked thread