Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.

Pilsner posted:

Here is version 7 of ZlizEQMap:

http://www.zlizeq.com/ZlizEQ_Projects-ZlizEQMap

Two fixes:
* A map for Plane of Growth has been added.
* The program should now be more tolerant of a suddenly missing / moved EverQuest directory and prompt you to choose it again when starting up.

Enjoy, and spread the word in your guilds (but not on the P99 forum or people will whine).

Just got back from taking a year off, I remember using your map program before and it was awesome. Trying to now on a fresh install and it doesn't seem to work. In fact I've got logging turned on (=true in the ini file) but no logs are showing up. Game is installed into C:\Everquest. Can't figure this one out so far, any ideas?

edit: got it working, I'm dumb and winEQ was still pointing to the old EQ directory in program files on this computer.

Eptar fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Eptar posted:

Just got back from taking a year off, I remember using your map program before and it was awesome. Trying to now on a fresh install and it doesn't seem to work. In fact I've got logging turned on (=true in the ini file) but no logs are showing up. Game is installed into C:\Everquest. Can't figure this one out so far, any ideas?

I had that issue too, turned out for whatever reason the logs were saving in (I think, I'd have to be home to check it) my user's appdata folder. Once I changed the log directory over it worked pretty much immediately.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

CoF+Fungi tunic contest here, based on his rep the poster is very likely to deliver

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255356

get rich!!

edit: someone got it nm!

insulated staircase fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 10, 2016

Video Game Aspie
Dec 29, 2011

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I haven't played on 1999 since sometime after Kunark came out.

I have a 40 enchanter. I am extremely bad at enchanter and my gear is terrible and I don't even know how I got to 40, but I have some questions.

-Is there a retard's guide to charm soloing? I am terrible at this and am looking for something with lists of areas to do it in, exactly what spells you need to have up and why, the process of charm soloing (do i root both mobs? do i tash and slow stuff?) and since I find myself quite frequently unable to get a group, this is my only other avenue of XP.

-How are people making so much money? I see things like Torpor, a kunark spell, for sale for 120k platinum. I've never even had more than a couple hundred platinum at a time, ever, and I really don't think people are getting so filthy rich by selling fine steel drops.

Between not knowing what I'm doing at all soloing on an Enchanter, and being absolutely extremely poor, it's putting a dent in my enjoyment of the game. I have several much lower level alts, but I feel the best thing to do would be to get at least 1 character to 60 before rolling other characters, so I'm trying to figure out just how to do that when I don't have the pleasure of being able to sit in a group soaking free experience passing out crack and haste. If anyone is willing to help me be less of a worthless retard, hit me up ingame on Diggity

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Video Game Aspie posted:

-How are people making so much money? I see things like Torpor, a kunark spell, for sale for 120k platinum. I've never even had more than a couple hundred platinum at a time, ever, and I really don't think people are getting so filthy rich by selling fine steel drops.
The prices at higher levels seem insane, but that's EQ. There is no big money sink at higher levels such as those in WoW (repairs, enchants, flights, etc.), except spell reagents for some classes, and when you're level 50+, the money flows in quite well due to gem and platinum drops. It's fairly easy to solo for an evening and rake in 1000p, and if you've done that for 4 months, well there's 120k for you, in theory. People who group a lot will also get random lucky drops, some of which can sell for up to 50k or more, like hiero cloak, haste items, fungi tunic, t-staff, you name it. Furthermore, since new expansions come at a snails pace (and possibly no more expansions ever), lots of people are "stuck" at having the best possible gear with nothing to buy, and thus the plat just piles up.

Even in my 40's I found it easy to rake in hundreds of plat per hour by soloing Oggok ogre guards, just hoarding platinum and selling Fine Steel. Everything before that was really poor house, though, so I know how you feel.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Luckily enchanters are fairly easy to gear for charming. Look at the wiki for a gear guide. A lot of the most beneficial pieces are incredibly cheap like a crude Stein. There also isn't much of a market for CHA gear since it's mostly just used by enchanters. I don't know what the prices are like now, but the ancient croc camp should be soloable by you, and is a pretty chill way to get other work done while farming something that sells decently. I haven't played in like 2 years so this might have changed.

Really though gear doesn't matter much for casters. If you really want to make money, just hit 60 then get into groups because you're an enchanter and always wanted.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
My impression is that some people have tons of plat because they're constantly camping spots with relatively valuable drops (10k+) with their friends. Or they're a guild leader/officer and make tons of money from gems etx from raid drops. I think wealth on P99 is very probably not a bell curve, but something closer to an exponential.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Video Game Aspie posted:

I haven't played on 1999 since sometime after Kunark came out.

I have a 40 enchanter. I am extremely bad at enchanter and my gear is terrible and I don't even know how I got to 40, but I have some questions.

-Is there a retard's guide to charm soloing? I am terrible at this and am looking for something with lists of areas to do it in, exactly what spells you need to have up and why, the process of charm soloing (do i root both mobs? do i tash and slow stuff?) and since I find myself quite frequently unable to get a group, this is my only other avenue of XP.

I never charmed on live, and decided to try it soloing from 30 to 45 or something. I did 40 on Kodiaks in GD. I'll give you a rundown on gear, the charm mechanic and some basic how-tos.

Gearwise you're good with your standard enchanter/int caster gear. You've got mana regen and you should have a charisma buff. Jboots or sow pots make life easier, too.

Some people also have insta click items, because when you use an insta click item (like Rod of Insidious Glamour), the first gem of your cast bar refreshes. That means if you cast a spell and click on your insta click item, you can immediately cast the spell you memmed in the first gem again, without having to wait on the refresh timer. I never used this, but this seems to be fairly popular among players on p1999 so it might be something you'd like to try.

Another item that could make life a little easier is anything that allows you to invis, since invis breaks charm and having an extra spell gem is always good. Again, not something I've ever had to use, but it seems handy to have.

Charm is a "random duration" spell, which means that the mob can break free after performing a check on every tick, starting with the very first one (zero second charms are a bitch). This check is, in order of importance, on level, MR and as a distant third, charisma. So what you want for charm soloing are mobs that are lower level than you. You've got tash to lower their MR. With any kind of basic gear and your buff your charisma should be high enough so it's not something you need to worry about. Say you should really be able to get your charisma higher than 120.

If you are soloing and your pet does more damage than you do, you're facing a 50 percent xp penalty on the kill. If you have a partner or are in a group, this does not apply.
The trick is to have two mobs who are about equal in power, and have them act as each others dot. Pull a blue mob with tash, and charm it. Put it where you want to pull to (use the guard here command). Pull another mob towards your pet. If the mob you're pulling is much more powerful, you might want to slow/dot it.
Have the pet attack the mob you've pulled. Root the mob you've pulled and go sit a ways away. When charm breaks, the pulled mob is rooted and you can reapply charm. If root breaks, your pet should have aggro and you can simply reapply root. Ah, which reminds me: every time you charm a pet, toggle its taunt ON. It will give you a confirmation message of the status of the toggle.
Watch both mobs' hitpoints while you sit and med. Reapply dots and slow as necessary. If your pet is low, say 10 percent, break charm by casting invis. You can dot/nuke your former pet and get xp off it. If the mob you pulled is low (and this should be at about the same time your pet is low), break charm and dot/nuke it. Ideally, you have two solo kill xp on two blue mobs in the space of one fight.
Rinse and repeat.

If there's two mobs, always charm the lower level one. You can fight mobs much higher than you by just string charming a bunch of blue mobs from your surroundings and sac'ing them on your target. I've killed red nameds that way.

Another method to charm killing, which is much more used in groups, is to keep your charmed mob indefinitely, buffing it up and handing it proc weapons (that you can recover later when you kill off your pet) and just adding its insane DPS to your group while under the protection of a healer for when charm breaks. And when you're all grown up, you can go charm big HT'ing nameds in Howling Stones and whipe entire wings of the dungeon with it. You know, for shits and giggles.

That's pretty much all I can think of. I'm sure other people can add to this, but what you need to do is just start out experimenting and you'll learn fairly quickly the ins and outs of it.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Meatgrinder posted:

Another method to charm killing, which is much more used in groups, is to keep your charmed mob indefinitely, buffing it up and handing it proc weapons (that you can recover later when you kill off your pet) and just adding its insane DPS to your group while under the protection of a healer for when charm breaks. And when you're all grown up, you can go charm big HT'ing nameds in Howling Stones and whipe entire wings of the dungeon with it. You know, for shits and giggles.

I love this. One group I was in went to 2nd floor CoM, charmed a golem, gave it two Wu's sticks and hasted it. It was amazing. Ranger had to pretty much double pull constantly.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

FranktheBank posted:

I love this. One group I was in went to 2nd floor CoM, charmed a golem, gave it two Wu's sticks and hasted it. It was amazing. Ranger had to pretty much double pull constantly.

I would play again casually if people wanted to try things like this. Haven't been tuned into EQ since around May when BDA moved servers

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I would play again casually if people wanted to try things like this. Haven't been tuned into EQ since around May when BDA moved servers

It was a lot of fun. As a cleric, I couldn't really afk (which is bittersweet). Group was chatting a lot on comms, which made it enjoyable. It was pretty great that the group, as a whole, decided Wu's sticks were better suited on the mob than our pockets (not a huge investment, but still).

We ended up getting like 4 mobs in camp and wiping, but we laughed the whole time.

Video Game Aspie
Dec 29, 2011

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 9 years!)

Meatgrinder posted:

Another method to charm killing, which is much more used in groups, is to keep your charmed mob indefinitely, buffing it up and handing it proc weapons (that you can recover later when you kill off your pet)

That's exactly what got me into a solid City of Mist group where I learned a lot about keeping a charmed pet around to beat on things. After I get 44 I'm going to give solo charming a shot, as it seems like a completely different can of worms, and also an incredibly useful skill to have (I've been told things like, enchanters can solo named in PoHate with charming, while splitting all pulls and locking down adds with ease)

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Video Game Aspie posted:

That's exactly what got me into a solid City of Mist group where I learned a lot about keeping a charmed pet around to beat on things. After I get 44 I'm going to give solo charming a shot, as it seems like a completely different can of worms, and also an incredibly useful skill to have (I've been told things like, enchanters can solo named in PoHate with charming, while splitting all pulls and locking down adds with ease)

When charming - or even soloing with your summoned pet, for farming stuff for instance - after 44: your pet benefits from Boon of the Garou! (A spell you should try and get at any rate, I found it was pretty common in EC.)

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...
Just as a heads up, Season 2 of the Zek PVP server is about to start this Friday (http://www.eqpvp.com/index.php/topic,3698.0.html).

If you didn't hear about it or play in Season 1, it's a server with classic classes and mostly classic content. Unlike classic, there are many changes to improve quality of life and to encourage more meaningful and balanced PvP.

I had a lot of fun on it last season with some folks from Red 99. If anyone wants to mess around on this one for a few weeks, I'll be probably rolling as a Druid, Shaman or Cleric with a boxed Enchanter (server allows for one box).

I think casters will still be strongest early on, but improvements to pure melees and healers look good for later in the season.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Meatgrinder posted:

When charming - or even soloing with your summoned pet, for farming stuff for instance - after 44: your pet benefits from Boon of the Garou! (A spell you should try and get at any rate, I found it was pretty common in EC.)

When you have one mob charmed to fight another one of the same type, Garou is also a great way to tell which is your buffed pet when it breaks if you happened to have something else targeted or be looking elsewhere.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Have Some Flowers! posted:

Just as a heads up, Season 2 of the Zek PVP server is about to start this Friday (http://www.eqpvp.com/index.php/topic,3698.0.html).

If you didn't hear about it or play in Season 1, it's a server with classic classes and mostly classic content. Unlike classic, there are many changes to improve quality of life and to encourage more meaningful and balanced PvP.

I had a lot of fun on it last season with some folks from Red 99. If anyone wants to mess around on this one for a few weeks, I'll be probably rolling as a Druid, Shaman or Cleric with a boxed Enchanter (server allows for one box).

I think casters will still be strongest early on, but improvements to pure melees and healers look good for later in the season.

I'll be back again. Probably a rogue or an Sk this time around.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

lemonslol posted:

I'll be back again. Probably a rogue or an Sk this time around.
I think Rogues will have an easier time this season. Damage shields were problematic for rogues because everyone could use the damage shield clicky earring. It's back to being class-restricted, and there's some damage shield mitigation stats on some higher end pvp gear now as well.

SKs were very strong at the start of last season and had a few nerfs, other classes were buffed, so they're probably in an okay spot now.

I think either will work well with our current small group since we just need more damage. Another goon'll be going Bard with probably a boxed Mage or healer. I'm probably going Druid with a boxed Enchanter for buffs.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

I have a level 57 or 58 Druid on blue that I haven't played in probably 2 years. This looks like it has the potential to be really fun. I especially like the level locks which if I'm understanding right means in the first week the highest you can get is 20. Followed by 30 the following week, then 35 after that and so on. Meaning you don't have to worry about being left in the dust if you aren't willing or able to spend countless hours a day playing.

If any of the goons from the small pool I leveled up with are still around from back when Invalid Guild was still a thing, shoot me a message. Had a lot of fun with yall and would love to screw around on a fresh Red server with ya.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That does sound kinda fun. Is the XP rate classic too? I like the idea of having level limits, but knowing EQ even with those limits I'll still fall far behind. I guess it slows down to 5 levels a week after the first 20... hmmm.

Also mentions you have to pick a team, are the teams just good vs evil or what?

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

That does sound kinda fun. Is the XP rate classic too? I like the idea of having level limits, but knowing EQ even with those limits I'll still fall far behind. I guess it slows down to 5 levels a week after the first 20... hmmm.

Also mentions you have to pick a team, are the teams just good vs evil or what?

http://www.eqpvp.com/index.php/topic,3141.0.html
This post answered a lot of the questions I had.

quote:

General Gameplay
1. Much faster Leveling.

x2 or x3 and rotating hotzones. (TBD)
No hybrid xp penalty.
Doesn’t have group xp bonus, but overall more xp per kill.

There's a lot more info in that link but that's just a small bit to answer your question.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man that actually sounds rad as hell.

Classic, no kunark, but nexus teleports? Awesome.
Fast XP rates with weekly caps? No hybrid penalty?
Super crazy fast reputation? Items stacking to 100?

But otherwise classic?

I'm probably gonna have to play this. Sounds super fun.

Hmm... probably go necromancer or enchanter or shadowknight? I've never been super big on EQ PVP but I'm interested to try. Have to read up on class balance for pvp I guess...

You guys thinking good or evil?

E: Wait, GUARD UPGRADES? Holy poo poo that's really awesome. I've wanted MMOs to do stuff like that for years.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Whats the population like on this PvP server? I am definitely interested in trying this out after reading the details Dreaddor posted.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm probably gonna have to play this. Sounds super fun.

Hmm... probably go necromancer or enchanter or shadowknight? I've never been super big on EQ PVP but I'm interested to try. Have to read up on class balance for pvp I guess...

I'm in the same boat. I've always defaulted to either Druids or Monks for the majority of my EQ "career" whether it was live servers or P1999. However, I don't like the way either perform in PVP at the early levels (maybe I just suck?). I'm leaning towards an INT caster or either an SK or Rogue. Rogue is the one EQ class I've never really messed with but it does seems like it could be really fun sneaking around backstabbing people. I just worry if after the first few weeks when everyone has see invis up 24/7 if it'll feel less exciting. I really like SKs too and their general theme.

As far as INT casters I have very fond memories of my first character ever back in 2001 being a Wizard on Rallos Zek and nuking people with that level 8 or 12 lightning spell for a whopping 70dmg! Mage seems like it would have the easiest of the INT casters at low levels. Not having to worry about spell research is a big plus here. Ugh I don't know what to do.

With the level lock and increased XP I might just end up playing multiple characters if the grind of leveling isn't that bad. They allow you to box 1 additional character on this server too so there's that to take into consideration.

Dreaddor fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah my main on blue is a druid, and I like it but I won't care as much for druid if the focus is pvp and also we have easy access to nexus teleports.

Maybe I'll go magician, I used to love mag but I haven't played it on 1999 since I did so much of it back in the day. Or necro. or SK...

What I'm wondering now is, it says 'good' spawns in Erudin and 'evil' spawns in Felwithe. That makes sense, seperate the two factions so you can have a grand war across the land and not have people constantly spawning and dying just over and over. But like...

It says you pick your faction at level 5, does race matter? Can you be on team 'good' as an Ogre or Dark Elf? Can you be on team 'evil' as a high elf?

Are guards based on team faction then, or do you have to grind out reputation still? If you're a 'good' ogre, do you spawn in Felwithe and get attacked by high elf guards?

What about the cities other than Erudin or Felwithe? Are they normal race KOS, or are they aligned to your teams, or are they neutral or what?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
We should probably decide on a faction before Friday. I'm talking to a few others to see what direction they're leaning.

Dreaddor posted:

I especially like the level locks which if I'm understanding right means in the first week the highest you can get is 20.
Yep! That's how it works. It helps to keep PvP in the same level ranges as the server progresses, and to give late-comers a better chance.

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Wait, GUARD UPGRADES? Holy poo poo that's really awesome. I've wanted MMOs to do stuff like that for years.
Yeah last season, you could go to a city your faction controlled to get buffs from guards. And there was a lot of PvP in/around cities trying to take them from other factions and and kill their guards. The zones and classes are classic, but you'll find that the spell file is newer. Overall xp and gearing is faster than classic, because the focus of the server is PvP and PvP balance.

Niedar posted:

Whats the population like on this PvP server? I am definitely interested in trying this out after reading the details Dreaddor posted.
Last season, at its peak, it was around 200 players a night. Since it's a small server (in terms of zones/content), it was pretty easy to find groups and fights.

Zaphod42 posted:

guardfactionquestions
There's nexus teleports, and city guards can also be upgraded to provide teleports as well. So getting around is pretty easy (and helps to facilitate PvP). Even if you find out a group is farming in Lower Guk, you're only about 5-10 minutes from reaching them.

Your team isn't related to races, classes or religions. You can be a Good Team Troll Shadowknight. And you're basically not on a faction until level 5, so that gives you time to head to the Nexus and change factions and get rebound in another city if needed.

You don't have to grind faction with the guards of your faction. They'll like you anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah we should definitely pick a faction and all roll the same. I'm down for either.

Okay thanks for all the clarifications. What about cities other than Erudin or Felwithe? Are they all otherwise based on race?

If you're a good-team troll shadowknight, can you go to Qeynos or Rivervale without grinding faction or will the guards kill you on sight?

Kinda bummed they're saying you can't capture cities this season, I guess I missed out last season. Capturing cities sounds cool as hell. They do mention 3 outposts that can be captured, but is that it? Feels a little weak. Ah well, I'm sure there'll still be plenty of pvp to do.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Kinda bummed they're saying you can't capture cities this season, I guess I missed out last season. Capturing cities sounds cool as hell. They do mention 3 outposts that can be captured, but is that it? Feels a little weak. Ah well, I'm sure there'll still be plenty of pvp to do.
Other cities are based on regular faction rules (class, race, religion, faction), but they're a little less important because of quick Nexus travel. You typically bind in your team's town so you can quickly get back there for guard buffs.

Yeah capturing cities was kinda fun but it mostly happened super late at night, and then lead to a lot of griefing as players who were bound there logged back in the next day and were slaughtered. I mean it was funny, but probably didn't help the server pop.

I think the idea now is that the cities are permanent so you don't lose access to buffs/teleports, but then you can go out and fight over outposts for fun and profit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Other cities are based on regular faction rules (class, race, religion, faction), but they're a little less important because of quick Nexus travel. You typically bind in your team's town so you can quickly get back there for guard buffs.

Yeah capturing cities was kinda fun but it mostly happened super late at night, and then lead to a lot of griefing as players who were bound there logged back in the next day and were slaughtered. I mean it was funny, but probably didn't help the server pop.

I think the idea now is that the cities are permanent so you don't lose access to buffs/teleports, but then you can go out and fight over outposts for fun and profit.

Yeah that sounds pretty reasonable. Ideally they'd have a system where anybody not of the owning faction of the city who was bound would log back in and be teleported back to the nexus or their home city or something, but that could be tricky to script.

This does sound like fun times and I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Dreaddor posted:

Class stuff
Yeah I'd highly recommend boxing something just to make leveling easier, or to have buffs for your main. Typical boxes are things like Mages, Clerics, Druids or Shaman, and you can just gate or camp them out if a fight's about to happen.

Exping is fast enough that you can easily level multiple characters and keep them capped for each lock. It's gearing for PvP that takes longer and encourages you to have a main. But even a naked mage or healer/buffbot is still handy to have around for PvE (which is important for leveling up/gearing up).

Mages, Wizards and Necros were all very good in Season 1. Enchanters struggled because they were very group dependent. They couldn't do a whole lot solo other than throwing a nasty charmed mob at someone, or annoying them with dispels and running off. They got some buffs from this season at least, we'll see how it goes. Whirl Til You Hurl is going to be hilarious for the first few weeks.

I'd caution against something like a pure melee unless you have a crew you plan on playing with regularly. They can be great but require support. One of the top players in Season 1 was a rogue - he was very good, but he really succeeded because he usually had a cleric and paladin nearby keeping him healthy and dispelled, and they spent a lot of time rooting/stunning/bashing his targets.

I'd recommend something like a SK or Paladin if you want to melee but only have 1 or 2 reliable friends. They're a lot more independent.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

Your team isn't related to races, classes or religions. You can be a Good Team Troll Shadowknight. And you're basically not on a faction until level 5, so that gives you time to head to the Nexus and change factions and get rebound in another city if needed.

I really really like this. I don't mind which faction we go. The real question is do we want to be the underdogs? If it's anything like I think it'll be, the good side will be underpopulated. I'm just assuming. Season 1 of this thing wasn't team based either so we can't use that as a basis.

I think I'll most likely play either a Necro or Mage as my main with a Druid as an alt.

Mages, Wizards and Necros were all very good in Season 1.

Was this end-game or overall? How did Necros fair at the early levels (15-20ish) as well as mid-levels (30-35)? Was there any awkward level range for them where they struggled?

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004

Dreaddor posted:

If it's anything like I think it'll be, the good side will be underpopulated. I'm just assuming. Season 1 of this thing wasn't team based either so we can't use that as a basis.
It's tough to say, it was team based in Season 1 but there were 3 teams (good/neut/evil) instead of 2 this time. I'm down to start on the Good team. It was also possible to switch teams later on (although you can only do it every few days).

Dreaddor posted:

I think I'll most likely play either a Necro or Mage as my main with a Druid as an alt.
Good choices all around! Having a pocket druid to SoW you and your pet makes you much more dangerous early on.

Dreaddor posted:

Was this end-game or overall? How did Necros fair at the early levels (15-20ish) as well as mid-levels (30-35)? Was there any awkward level range for them where they struggled?
Necros are very strong at 20, the first level cap. Lifetaps for 90, Heat Blood, Darkness snare, Invis, See Invis, Shadowstep, Harmshield and a 80ptish self rune. That's plenty of gas to kill people and survive.

At 30, their lifetap is relatively slightly weaker but their DoTs are much stronger (being level 28 and 27). And they also have a 180pt rune at that point.

35 is a weaker level cap for them just because they're using older spells at that point. After that, they're consistently strong.

Mages and Wizards are always very strong until 50+ when gear starts to really catch up and cause lots of resists. Necros jump to #1 at that point because most of their best spells have big negative resist components.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

So did we pick a team then? Good? I'm usually down to play as the underdogs in competitive games, although I'm not great at EQ pvp so that may be a dangerous idea :cheeky:

I've narrowed it down to either necro or SK.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Yep, let's go Good team!

Honestly both SKs and Necros are very solid, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either. If you go SK, be sure to be a big race. Gatorsmash Maul is the only weapon you'll need until Epic. That thing trucks people in PvP.

To start, I'd chase down every skeleton mob you see. Tower Shields sell for a few platinum and can easily bankroll your early spells with just a few shields.

Crushbone is the absolute fastest early exp, but it'll be a warzone. If there's enough of us, maybe we can contest it. Worst case, the new zone Pinnacle Caverns is pretty solid exp, has a few neat drops and skeletons for shield drops.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

I'm down for the good team. The 5PM PST start time tonight is perfect for me since I get off of work at 5PM EST so I'll be able to hop on right away when it comes up. Safe to say that also having the weekend off, I probably won't be leaving the house Saturday or Sunday.

quote:

Scripting/DB changes on release
- All players on a team forced into one guild (players who want to chat with large groups but not just their team can use the chat channels /1 /2 etc)

If this is the case and we can't have our own goon guild, someone who actually remembers how EQ chat channels work should create an official one just for us.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dreaddor posted:

I'm down for the good team. The 5PM PST start time tonight is perfect for me since I get off of work at 5PM EST so I'll be able to hop on right away when it comes up. Safe to say that also having the weekend off, I probably won't be leaving the house Saturday or Sunday.

If this is the case and we can't have our own goon guild, someone who actually remembers how EQ chat channels work should create an official one just for us.

Yeah the timing seems pretty perfect, so I'll definitely be hopping on tonight.

I kinda like the sound of faction guilds, so its real easy to group up with people and organize pvp raids :getin: But yeah, we need our own private chat channel or a discord or something so we can organize ourselves.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah we'll setup a chat channel to coordinate. My ingame name will be Badtown. Maybe we could setup a Discord channel as well. I'll be around tonight for the launch, I'll be out for most of tomorrow, but then back tomorrow night/all Sunday.

One good leveling sprint in Crushbone can get you to 20, so the real benefit is to get some early PvP points in while everyone's an easy target without massive resists/gear, and easy to find in just a few zones.

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

In as Xinimer

/friend me and shoot me a tell so I can do the same

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm on as Ahzek, Erudite Necromancer fighting for Good

Had a little bit of a bumpy start but now I'm really cruising. Drop rate seems to be super super high so its pretty easy to make some money. Got my basic spells, hit level 5.

Really like the rules on this server. Classic, but convenience portals and guild wars. Fun stuff!

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
I settled on playing a Wizard and Enchanter, both up around level 11 now. Gotta break for tonight, but I'll be back at it tomorrow night.

Got some kills already, feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreaddor
Apr 7, 2006

I set up a chat channel for us.

Channel name is Redgoons and the password is stairs.

To join just type out
/join redgoons:stairs

To set it to autojoin everytime you log on
/autojoin redgoons:stairs