Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Ugh, now I think I should shatter my R3 Flare and R2 Meteor, though my hoarder complex tells me to suck it up and farm more MNEOs and MBOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Who should I pair quina with to make a lovely mulatto shout?

I got lenna and zack and eiko

Also earlier about using ramza and faris, usually I'd rather go damage and have Faris cover all the bases with her bsb, with armor bd/steal def/dance and dismissal.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So what should I use this Rosetta Stone on? Do I wait for a really good OSB or something, or just use it on a weapon that I use a lot? I'd hate to upgrade a weapon that ends up being obsolete soon, especially since these stones seem super rare, but I also don't want to let them collect dust in my inventory forever while I keep telling myself something better is coming soon.

In general, you have two parallel priorities for weapons best served by Rosetta stones.

1) They'll do the most good on weapons that are already your strongest such that you use them in other realms. Think OSB or BSB weapons combined up to +/++/+++. (Related, you almost never want to use them on weapons that aren't at least SSB quality to begin with. Unique SB Items can carry 15 of them. SSB/BSSB can carry 20. OSB weapons can take 25. It's a bad idea to use Rosetta stones on an item that can't take as many of them as possible.

2) Related to 1), the best weapons to use in any realm regardless of synergy are the ones that boost elemental damage. Especially elemental damage linked to Multi-hit attacks. That means Excaliburs/Lightbringers (holy swords) are super attractive targets. So will be Thunder damage weapons once the new multi hit Dragoon skill lands next month. Any Wind/Ice weapons if you're on the Snowstorm Strike plan are very strong. Or water weapons once Shooter skills hit.

You get the idea. Similarly, if you have a great SB for a character with very limited weapon options (the canonical example here is Sephiroth who can only use Katanas), Rosettaing a weapon of that type for that character is very useful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I have Terra's Fire Beam.

To maximize Chain Firaga fun, should I do a Tyro's Selection banner roll to get the fire armlet (I don't have any other fire boosting gear)?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

I have Terra's Fire Beam.

To maximize Chain Firaga fun, should I do a Tyro's Selection banner roll to get the fire armlet (I don't have any other fire boosting gear)?

Not unless you also want the items from the relic draw. The bonus pool items are not worth 50 mythril in their own right.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Not unless you also want the items from the relic draw. The bonus pool items are not worth 50 mythril in their own right.

I have plat sword and SG already, so I'm leaning toward not really. I wouldn't mind getting my first BSB or a Bartzcalibur, but the rest of the banner would be majorly disappointing.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

ETB posted:

Ugh, now I think I should shatter my R3 Flare and R2 Meteor, though my hoarder complex tells me to suck it up and farm more MNEOs and MBOs.

Shatter flare, meteor owns for lazy farming

At this point the chain -agas outdamage flare when hitting weaknesses which is the entire point of bringing a mage unless you want to use a MM+DZ darkness mage who can slot into any team comp and do well

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Friendship Ribbon so far is becoming a pretty big laundry list of Annoying Mechanics.

At least the "bring an ff13 character or this boss is immune to all elements" is only ++ level.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

ETB posted:

No reason to shatter either of them. Chain-agas are better, but Flare is still a top tier option for when a boss resists elements, or just useful as a filler ability in general. Meteor is less useful, but is always handy for daily farming or vs AOE bosses on a non-summoner.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Do Beatrix and Agrias carry the only good physical damage team imperil-holys?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Kylra posted:

Do Beatrix and Agrias carry the only good physical damage team imperil-holys?

Edward's BSB is 50% boostga and aoe imperil holy if you don't mind it being on your support.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do you have any, even just one, FF7 magic weapons?

Do you have any, even just one, Darkness Mage at level 80 or close to it that can use said weapon?

Grats, you can clear the U++. Get thee a Hope BSSB RW, some dancers, a healer or two, and maybe a ninja for some backup damage.

I have the Full Metal Rod & Kuja is lv 80

What's the strat?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

Edward's BSB is 50% boostga and aoe imperil holy if you don't mind it being on your support.
That could potentially work.

E: It's on a meh banner though. Probably just pull more for Agrias in either OSBfest or the tactics banner after.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 15, 2016

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Kylra posted:

That could potentially work.

E: It's on a meh banner though. Probably just pull more for Agrias in either OSBfest or the tactics banner after.

Only other one is on Leo, and it's 6 hit AoE, with increased damage with less enemies. It's not that bad of a Banner (Edgar OSB 1), but not amazing.

It does feature the first appearance of Guts with Relm's BSB, Cyan gets a clone of Beatrix's Ragnarok, and Celes' Indomitable Blade makes a return. Edgar's OSB is notable for being Poison, being the only AoE OSB, damage increasing with the nunber of status effects on the boss (bad, but not as bad as it sounds since group bosses are more likely to have some sort of status vulnerability) and not being on a Banner with his En-Element SB.

A lot of people like Leo, which might make the Banner worth it? I'll be pulling on the Banner to fix my VI synergy anyways unless the Locke/Celes event coming up in JP is ridiculously amazing.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 15, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm probably pulling a time or two for the guts medica bsb anyway, so maybe I'll happen to get it. I dunno if that will be worth the loss of light of the four or one of my other BSBs to use it for the imperil though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Edward's Lamia Harp comes with Holy element stackable break effects (atk/mag on command 1, def/res on command 2) for what it's worth.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bizarre deformity posted:

I have the Full Metal Rod & Kuja is lv 80

What's the strat?

Kuja carries that rod, casts Memento Mori, then summons Hope's BSB. Command 1 proceeds to do 20-30k damage per cast depending on debuffs and such.

For the rest of your party, you want: someone that can cast Protectga, at least one Dancer 5 carrying Multi Break and Magic Breakdown Dance, and then at least one Dancer 4+ with Mental Breakdown dance.

Yuffie is particularly good for that last role, especially if you have a thrown or fist or dagger or Bow with Mag (even off realm) that she can use; I had her doing 6500 damage with an FF2 bow w/110 Mag, Fire Veil, and appropriate + element materia. Swift Bolt would be equivalent.

After that, fill up the rest of the group with whatever (magical) Holy, fire and Lightning damage you can scrounge up (Ninjas, as mentioned are great. So would a spare white mage with an extra medica and Diaga). Maybe toss in Power Breakdance for some extra mitigation if you have the slot free.

Honestly, the BSB will do most of the work. If you can get Kuja to 400 Mag unbuffed, throw in Memento Mori and Mental Breakdown and he can literally solo the thing in terms of outgoing damage.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

Edward's Lamia Harp comes with Holy element stackable break effects (atk/mag on command 1, def/res on command 2) for what it's worth.

Yeah, but I dunno if that's worth it since I dunno if I could really use most of the other things except for synergy or CM and I still need to build A-team style options. I'm probably just going to save up like 400-500 mythril for OSBfest, and probably have a hundred or two for the tactics sword saint banner if either of those still have Agrias's.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Confirming that Garnet's Wizard Rod is very underrated. It makes her into a beast and that SSB plays nicely with just about every other medica and buff effect.

I'm going to see how the Ults treat me before I pull on banner one. Almost certainly pulling for Vivi on banner two though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
RIP, orbs. I exhausted almost all non-elemental orbs for this:

Also honed this one more time, because I felt like it. I've been annoyed how my supports are always the first one to run out of hones in those long drawn out boss fights. Couple of extra rounds should help.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i have a r2 full break and i pair that with a r4 breakdown my pattern goes fb bd bd fb bd bd soul break fb bd bd fb bd bd and usually im dead or the thing is dead by 13 turns

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I've been contemplating bringing Full Break to R3 myself. I already honed Chain Blizzaga to R3 and I'm not going to worry about honing Sapphire Shot unless I pull Apocalypse X, so the only other abilities competing for ice orbs are Gaia Cross and the double water spellblade, but the latter is a pretty long way away regardless. Power orbs aren't used by anything until the double spellblades start showing up either. Lightning is the real sticking point; I have a bunch, but I'll definitely want to hone Chain Thundaga if I pull Ashe's BSB, and Lightning Dive could be useful if I ever pull a Dragoon relic.

R2 has been enough for me thus far, so I've been sticking with the 'never spend orbs until you absolutely need to' adage. But it's definitely getting more tempting with orbs being pretty plentiful these days.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I could actually r4 it right away too, but obviously that is HUGE overkill. I can also r4 Saint Cross and that is very tempting, but I'd probably get more mileage out of a hypothetical second copy anyways.

I just wanted a bit less micromanagement with my Supports, and guaranteed 100% coverage with Breakdowns + Full Break

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I am leaning towards R3 Full Break, especially since Chain Blizzaga isn't really a priority for me right now (I'm more apt to go for Firaga or Thundaga). Would certainly be nice once we get D200/250s.

I really should be going for Ashe's Defiance since I have the Dagger of Resolve, but... I'll see. I already have the Orihalcum Dirk and Holy Rod, so I'd rather not get repeats (although a Holy Rod+ is okay because of the +Holy on it).

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

superloosegoose posted:

Who should I pair quina with to make a lovely shout?

I got lenna and zack and eiko

Lenna's Hastega has a boost conflict, her +30% boost on Flames of War will interfere with Quina's +50% on Frog Drop.

Honestly, Zack seems like the best option there to me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Black Mage's new RM3 (magic fire x1.5 damage to all enemies on autoattack) owns, I skipped forward to the latest elite to pick up his MC2 so I could grind it out while I ground Quina's RM2, and now Vivi completely destroys enemy waves on auto without me having to do anything. (A fire boosting hat helped.) I'd recommend grabbing it if you hate FF2/3/11 trash that comes in waves of 5, it's fantastic for that.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
Smite (3 hit next two actions are instant) is going to be amazing once lightning gets her osb.

Is steiners SSB good or is it whack

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

superloosegoose posted:

Smite (3 hit next two actions are instant) is going to be amazing once lightning gets her osb.

Is steiners SSB good or is it whack
It's a bit weird to use because it doesn't synergize with boostga very well, but you can make it work. It combos really well with something like Trueblade of Legend that buffs your defense (not to mention wall!), and if you stick a reforged 8* armor on Steiner he can do some pretty respectable damage with it. That's pretty much the only build Aegis Strike is good with, too!

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

superloosegoose posted:

Gonna let you in on a secret: it's amazing now

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's a bit weird to use because it doesn't synergize with boostga very well, but you can make it work. It combos really well with something like Trueblade of Legend that buffs your defense (not to mention wall!), and if you stick a reforged 8* armor on Steiner he can do some pretty respectable damage with it. That's pretty much the only build Aegis Strike is good with, too!

Yeah, you need to use it like you would Armor Strike or Aegis Strike. Build for DEF over ATK, stack with +DEF buffs, Wall, Protect, Draw Fire, etc, and just go ham.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

The Mattybee posted:

Gonna let you in on a secret: it's amazing now

Yeah I've been using it to Full Charge with so I don't have to make/hone Powerchain. It's super great in elite dungeons because I can build up Lightning's meter to chain: SB + FC + SB+ FC + SB + FC + FC

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

For anyone that doesn't get what the Hope BSB RW strategy is supposed to do, I recorded my U++ fight after a mythril SB charge up round (I needed the blinks to not have to retry dozens of times).

I'm doing it with Celes. Terra is there to provide the rest of the damage with her BSB since I have no synergy to use and Celes couldn't do it alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEyaPXAmEPg

Watch my embarrassment as I click the wrong soul break for Lenna.

Here's what I ended up running with (no synergy at all except the resist fire on Lenna):

Celes - Drain, Fira, Holy++, Attunement 2, Marias Song+Hope RW
Selphie - Protectga, Curaga, Attack->magic damage, Dreamstage
Tyro - Mag- dance, Curaga, Mog's, SG
Lenna - Res- Dance, Curaga, +heal, Pride of Tycoon
Terra - Faith, Wrath, Fire+, Attunement 1, Blood of Espers

I should have brought power break for Celes to use at the start for the medals, but oh well. I got the crystals, and not having the adamantite and scarletite probably isn't gonna kill me.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 15, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

While you can make it better by buffing DEF, Steiner's SSB will pretty much always be pretty bad. The problem is how the formula works- It's based on 70% DEF and 30% ATK, so as you say, boostgas don't help much. But the real kicker is that the way it computes for the DEF value, is it's almost entirely based on his NATURAL defense- pre-buffs. The benefit you get from buffing DEF is very minimal. So while yes, to get the most out of it you need to stack Wall and Protectga and Draw Fire, it's still going to end up significantly weaker than a purely ATK-based SSB that gets full benefit from boostgas.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

428 mind wall! Guess I shouldn't have complained about pulling so many brushes and tiaras while looking for Lightbringer. ID is KjSF.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sesquiculus posted:

428 mind wall! Guess I shouldn't have complained about pulling so many brushes and tiaras while looking for Lightbringer. ID is KjSF.

:ssh: I'm pretty sure that Wall is a fixed 25s duration and is unaffected by MND.

Still a drat solid healer there, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

While you can make it better by buffing DEF, Steiner's SSB will pretty much always be pretty bad. The problem is how the formula works- It's based on 70% DEF and 30% ATK, so as you say, boostgas don't help much. But the real kicker is that the way it computes for the DEF value, is it's almost entirely based on his NATURAL defense- pre-buffs. The benefit you get from buffing DEF is very minimal. So while yes, to get the most out of it you need to stack Wall and Protectga and Draw Fire, it's still going to end up significantly weaker than a purely ATK-based SSB that gets full benefit from boostgas.

Also, why is it non-elemental? At least if they had made it Holy Element it could have benified from the sword that gives it and elemental weaknesses.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

:ssh: I'm pretty sure that Wall is a fixed 25s duration and is unaffected by MND.

Still a drat solid healer there, though.

Really? That's a shame. Well, hopefully it will still make a difference for heals and buffs.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yeah wall is unaffected by MND

Her SSB though? That's lasting forever

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Also, why is it non-elemental? At least if they had made it Holy Element it could have benified from the sword that gives it and elemental weaknesses.

Yeah, I'd honestly thought it was Holy Element when I'd first tried to defend it; then it would just be a souped up Aegis Strike. As it is... :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Climhazzard was Excalibur-learned in FFIX and it's non-elemental. Credit to them for sticking to the source when designing that element of the SB, viability be damned. The question is where the DEF equation part comes in because it didn't work like that in FFIX. I guess something has to be low tier.

• Locked thread