Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Delta is pretty bad, I think I might even prefer 7 which is something I thought I'd never say. At least 7 had enough decent episodes scattered throughout its run (and ended pretty strongly), it just was stretched over way too many episodes with too much stock animation. Delta has a smattering of good/great episodes at the start but just completely loses steam by the halfway point and just limps to the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Delta didn't turn out to be my new favorite Macross like I thought it might when it started, but I liked it well enough.

Mainly tho, if you're enjoying it keep on enjoying it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yea, I can't say as I thought Delta was good on the whole. It's got a really strong first episode, and some good scenes and episodes strung through the first half, like Hayate and Freyja going for a joy ride. Even some of the good episodes come with a proviso though, like episode 13 is great in a lot of ways but comes with the proviso that Hayate shooting Keith down has absolutely no emotional pay off of any kind. Even the characters in the show don't really react to it. A lot of the first half rides off the hype of the first episode though, or is only good as set up, and since that set up never really pays off, it's not all that great in retrospect. And much of it beyond episode 5 when the Windermereans declare war has very similar action, even in the episodes immediately afterward. A lot of people act like the action only got repetitive and dull after episode 13, but even a lot of the episodes between 5 and 11 are rather repetitive, at least in terms of action in my opinion.

It definitely has a great first episode, my second favorite behind the original SDF and easily at that. Episode one might as well come from a different show however - and absolutely nothing in the rest of the show matches the intensity or impact of the first episode.

I re-watched Zero a few days ago however and while I was pretty cold on it on initial viewing years ago I quite liked it this time around. It still has definite problems, especially in the resolution, melding the military drama with the island drama and Sara's bitching about Kadun's in the first few episodes being kind of annoying - even if it's given reason in the fourth episode. Mostly I realized just how much the Mayans are proto-Windermereans though, since they bang on about wind a lot, and both Sara and Mao feel the wind several times to find out what's happening.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 13, 2016

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Nobody mentioned it so I guess I should: BBK/BRNK is back for season 2 and it's pretty good already. Well, except for one character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

At this point I just accept I have different tastes than people here do when it comes to recent anime. I really enjoyed Delta and had a lot of fun watching it, but you couldn't pay me to sit through Shin Mazinger again and most people here seem to love that.

Anyways, I've been continuing through Full Metal Panic. The first anime was quite good- I thought it did a pretty good job going back and forth between comedy hijinx and people dying meaningless deaths. I'm halfway through Fumoffu now and am enjoying it, but its weird not seeing anyone dead after several episodes.

Also did anyone else watch the recent Majestic Prince OVA? Trying to set up ~THE NEXT GENERATION~ was a fairly strange direction for that franchise to take, I feel.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 14, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I was just thinking about today was how great the Gurren Lagann OPs are as complete packages - great song, and animation that matches it well to create an incredibly strong mood. In particular, that bit at the beginning where the heavy guitar cuts out and the sweet, hopeful lyrics kick in as Simon bursts out of the sky and soars through the clouds conveys this amazing sense of innocent adventure. Any other giant robot openings you'd say are that good at setting a tone through well-integrated music and visuals?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hwDQJRU7E

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i think the votoms ed is the greatest thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9q5OhL32xo

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
recommend me a mecha show that came out after gurren lagann that can elicit feelings from its audience

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Slaapaav posted:

recommend me a mecha show that came out after gurren lagann that can elicit feelings from its audience

Gundam Reconguista in G, probably the best show in the franchise.

But okay, something that isn't Gundam, uh...

quote:

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2007)
Heroic Age (anime) (2007)
Kishin Taisen Gigantic Formula (2007)
Linebarrels of Iron (2008–09)
Asura Cryin' (2009)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space (2009)
Rideback (2009)
Viper's Creed (2009)
Guilty Crown (2011-12)
Lagrange: The Flower of Rin-ne (2012)
Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse (2012)
Robotics;Notes (2012-13)
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (2013-present)
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince (2013)
Aldnoah.Zero (2014–15)
Cross Ange (2014–15)
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler (2014)
Knights of Sidonia (2014–15)
M3 the dark metal (2014)
Comet Lucifer (2015)

....Not much to pick from, is there? Majestic Prince wasn't bad, and I'm kind of enjoying Aldnoah Zero, but...hmm. Guilty Crown and Cross Ange were terrible, too.

Note: I couldn't stand Gurren Lagann. I tried to watch it three times, but I never made it past episode twenty, as it was just....boring? Not my thing? The comedy wasn't for me. I didn't get invested in the characters, and then they killed the only guy in the show I liked. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but....well, I tried. :shrug:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

It's a pretty liberal interpretation of mecha show, but Concrete Revolutio is fantastic.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 15, 2016

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Anger is a feeling. "This sucks" is a feeling. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Slaapaav posted:

People aren't big on the actual mecha aspects, but kuromukuro (on netflix) is supposed to be good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slaapaav posted:

Macross Frontier.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

Not sure if "aired in the same year" counts, but Bokurano will definitely make you feel something.

The feeling is crushing despair

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
As someone who also wasn't a big fan of Gurren Lagann, I recommend Shin Mazinger, that was 2009.

Also, you could try the GL movies. They condense GL in a much more watchable way, like the original Gundam movies do for that series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wasn't aware that people thought GL had watchability issues.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 15, 2016

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Also the gurren Lagann movies blow chunks, so there's that.

If you're willing to widen the net slightly what with shows being kinda thin on the ground I'd recommend Zegapain, the emotional kick is fairly potent in that one. It's also a good indictment of singularity digitising humanity fantasies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diebusterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

rRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrR

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Diebusterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

rRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrRrR

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Artum posted:

Also the gurren Lagann movies blow chunks, so there's that.

Some of the new scenes are cool but I really cannot get down with how they ripped out some important character moments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Some of the new scenes are cool but I really cannot get down with how they ripped out some important character moments.

Yeah, the lost character moments and the largely lameass changes to the second movie's ending mean I think it's markedly inferior.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Raxivace posted:

I really enjoyed Delta and had a lot of fun watching it, but you couldn't pay me to sit through Shin Mazinger again and most people here seem to love that.

Yo. You've mentioned your disdain for Shin Mazinger a few times, and this is some pretty heavy criticism for a show that, in my opinion, excels in a number of categories. What did you not like about it?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Double post.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's Gundam again, but Iron-Blooded-Orphans is another very solid show with a much stronger emotional core than G-Reco. It suffers from several of its conflicts being kicked down the road for a second season, but fortunately, that second season is here and smells like it's going to deliver - the last couple of episodes have basically been setup for everything to go straight to hell in a very satisfying way.

There's also Gundam Build Fighters, which is a nakedly commercial product, but manages to transcend that to become an incredibly charming sports show. It says a lot that the episode where members of the cast learn how to build little plastic models is one of the flat-out cutest in the run. The total lack of risk of injury to the 'pilots' means the fights can be surprisingly intense, too. Avoid the sequel show, Try, though - it's the same again with none of the soul.

Kuromukuro is also great, yes - it's this really fun little coming-of-age story that very much reminds me of Full Metal Panic (plus some of the lighter aspects of Neon Genesis Evangelion). The giant robot action is very definitely the worst part of it, but even that has its moments.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If Aquarion EVOL doesn't make you laugh or leave you bewildered with how stupid what just happened is at least once then you have no soul.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I liked Star Driver

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

GorfZaplen posted:

I liked Star Driver

Star driver is indeed great and should be watched by most.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artum posted:

Star driver is indeed great and should be watched by most.

Why? My backlog is 2554543 shows long, what about Star Driver is good enough to bring it up the list?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Iserlohn posted:

Yo. You've mentioned your disdain for Shin Mazinger a few times, and this is some pretty heavy criticism for a show that, in my opinion, excels in a number of categories. What did you not like about it?
A combination of a couple of things. I didn't find the vast majority of the characters at all interesting or particularly fun to watch (The Kurogane House characters in particular did not work at all for me, and they dominate a pretty significant chunk of the show), and the convoluted scheming and counter-scheming was quite dull. It seemed to get very expositional at times too and IMO was not very strong dramatically outside of a few moments. Can't say I found any of the action particularly memorable either.

Perhaps my expectations were too high for a Mazinger Z adaptation. Flaws that I'm willing to forgive in Nagai's 40+ year old manga are a bit harder for me to get past in an anime made in 2009.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 15, 2016

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why? My backlog is 2554543 shows long, what about Star Driver is good enough to bring it up the list?

Tauburn has a giant robot domino mask and a tricorn hat with an energy feather. It's the single dandiest robot ever to exist and the cast are a lot of fun.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Holy poo poo star driver? Was that the school on the island? I think I saw about 7 episodes before I moved and forgot about it. It was good from what I remember, and dandy. Thanks, I'll remember to pick that up again.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's stylish and fun, and you're probably not going to watch most of the shows in your backlog anyway.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artum posted:

Tauburn has a giant robot domino mask and a tricorn hat with an energy feather. It's the single dandiest robot ever to exist and the cast are a lot of fun.

Good enough for me, I'll check it out!

GorfZaplen posted:

It's stylish and fun, and you're probably not going to watch most of the shows in your backlog anyway.

Haha, if only this weren't true... I almost wish mecha shows weren't universally 40+ episodes long, it makes it hard to marathon 'em.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Haha, if only this weren't true... I almost wish mecha shows weren't universally 40+ episodes long, it makes it hard to marathon 'em.

busterrrrrrrr....

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

busterrrrrrrr....
Your sheer enthusiasm for DieBuster is going to make me give it another chance one of these days.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think if the characters don't grab you it won't work at all, because thats what it is for me. One of the strongest friendship narratives in anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wrapped up in gainax's huge pool of talent all pretty like.

It shares the same theme and tone and even major story elements with the later Lagann but because its a smaller cast and shorter series its much more focused.