Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Roland Jones posted:

It wasn't that hard for me to do it; I checked the FAQ, set five price alerts, and a few other things and hit 2 pretty quick.

Hahah this sounds cringeworthingly bad. Does the website now grace your account with the label of pro leet 360 no scope consumer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hahah this sounds cringeworthingly bad. Does the website now grace your account with the label of pro leet 360 no scope consumer?

Not as far as I know. I got level two, bought the coins, preordered the game, and haven't used the site since except to check if it has my code yet or not.

Like I said, it definitely is dumb. It's just not "I'd rather spend twenty more dollars for the game than do this" dumb. And thankfully, since it's done, I'll never have to do that again if I buy from them in the future (which, since I still have around 7k coins left over, I might do if a good deal for something I want is available).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

It wasn't that hard for me to do it; I checked the FAQ, set five price alerts, and a few other things and hit 2 pretty quick.

Not to say it's not dumb, mind. It really is pretty dumb. But it takes like five minutes if you have a list reference for what you need to do, which I think is worth $15/$20 personally.

Yeeeep, definitely regretting this.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Whenever I see talk of saving $6 on a game I wonder if I'm just that bad at money because I don't care, or if I'm normal and the person trying to get that $6 discount has an unnatural need to beat the man at his own game.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vox Nihili posted:

That happened to me too. It went through though. Took some time, but it did work.

If it winds up not working I'm going to blame the person here who told me they were legit, in my defense.

The Human Crouton posted:

Whenever I see talk of saving $6 on a game I wonder if I'm just that bad at money because I don't care, or if I'm normal and the person trying to get that $6 discount has an unnatural need to beat the man at his own game.

$6 wouldn't have done it for me, but $20 (or more if I get something relatively cheap for free with the leftover credit) is pretty significant, at least for me.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Vox Nihili posted:

For what it's worth I had the same thing happen last night and when I woke up it apparently went through just fine.

Who the gently caress knows if I'll actually get the code but at least for now I haven't had a problem.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

$6 wouldn't have done it for me, but $20 (or more if I get something relatively cheap for free with the leftover credit) is pretty significant, at least for me.

I respect that, but I also want to make fun of this because a mystery currency called "coins" is involved.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I respect that, but I also want to make fun of this because a mystery currency called "coins" is involved.

That is more than fair. I'm just happy I'm getting the game.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I'm definitely willing to jump through a few hoops for $15, hopefully it works out.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Roland Jones posted:

That is more than fair. I'm just happy I'm getting the game.

I look forward to good game talk 6 days from now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I've had a GamersGate account for years now so I didn't even know about the level 2 requirement for blue coins. I'm assuming the "manual review" thing is specifically for this deal since it's a preorder deal but who knows.

Oh well I finally have Civ 6 preordered from there so it's all fine and good now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

How many blue coins to equal one gold feather?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I paid $120 to buy the deluxe edition of this game here in Australia. I still wouldn't jump through hoops to get a discount at some weirdo online store.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 15, 2016

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Lord Bude posted:

I paid $120 to buy the deluxe edition of this game here in Australia. I still wouldn't jump through hoops to get a discount as some weirdo online store.

I mean, if you have that kind of money to burn on individual video games then that goes without saying but a lot of people want to save where they can.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wow, my workplace is just one block away from these people.

Still, my dignity is worth more than $20. And I did get the GMG discount, sooooo...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Civilization doesn't really strive for historical accuracy of any kind. It mostly just seeks to evoke a sense of history, and to celebrate historical figures.

Same reason why Frederick Barbarossa is leader of Germany my friend, despite the kingdom he ruled being only barely related to modern day Germany.

I would argue that Frederick Barbarossa is very much a part of German history. The Holy Roman empire covers a huge portion of German history, and importantly a period when what we think of German culture and the modern definition of what Germany is began to take form. He is also a very important figure in German national folklore. And the game itself acknowledges the HRE with the "Free Imperial Cities" Civ ability. Him being the leader of Germany is fine, its even great as he is, or used to be, kind of a national symbol, despite the modern nation of Germany not existing in any form when he was alive (an irrelevant fact I think), its much the same reason as for why Gilgamesh, mostly a legendary figure, is a good choice as leader of Sumeria.

A sense of history is what I am arguing for, I am not arguing for historical accuracy and I think you completely misunderstand me. What I am saying is that Saladin as leader of Arabia essentially gives the wrong sense of history, putting him in a role he shouldn't be in as leader of Arabia (essentially the Islamic Empire).

And when it comes to newish nation states like Germany you don't have to restrict yourself by only taking leaders from when the modern nation of Germany was founded, Frederick the Great, Otto the Great, Ariminius and Widukind would all work in the sense of the impact they had both on history and on national folklore and such (with the first two).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 15, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Randarkman posted:

I would argue that Frederick Barbarossa is very much a part of German history. The Holy Roman empire covers a huge portion of German history, and importantly a period when what we think of German culture and the modern definition of what Germany is began to take form. He is also a very important figure in German national folklore. And the game itself acknowledges the HRE with the "Free Imperial Cities" Civ ability. Him being the leader of Germany is fine, its even great as he is, or used to be, kind of a national symbol, despite the modern nation of Germany not existing in any form when he was alive (an irrelevant fact I think), its much the same reason as for why Gilgamesh, mostly a legendary figure, is a good choice as leader of Sumeria.

A sense of history is what I am arguing for, I am not arguing for historical accuracy and I think you completely misunderstand me. What I am saying is that Saladin as leader of Arabia essentially gives the wrong sense of history, putting him in a role he shouldn't be in as leader of Arabia (essentially the Islamic Empire).

And when it comes to newish nation states like Germany you don't have to restrict yourself by only taking leaders from when the modern nation of Germany was founded, Frederick the Great, Otto the Great, Ariminius and Widukind would all work in the sense of the impact they had both on history and on national folklore and such (with the first two).

The Holy Roman Empire isn't really German history, though. German identity doesn't really take shape for another 600-700~ years or so. To say that that's irrelevant, but Saladin being the Sultan of Egypt is crucial is arbitrary cherry picking based upon tummyfeels.

That's the point. You go back far enough and all modern labels are equally absurd.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Holy Roman Empire isn't really German history, though. German identity doesn't really take shape for another 600-700~ years or so. To say that that's irrelevant, but Saladin being the Sultan of Egypt is crucial is arbitrary cherry picking at best.

That's the point. You go back far enough and all modern labels are equally absurd.

Why would you you say that the Holy Roman Empire isn't German history? The breakup of the Carolingian empire and the Treat of Verdun is largely what establishes a geographical definition of what Germany is. Pretty much all Holy Roman Emperors in the Middle Ages had the title king of Germany before they were emperors. And the Middle Ages, under the Holy Roman Empire is when we begin to see an increasing importance of Germany, with the growth of cities and insititutions and the proliferation of German culture and language by way of colonization that would have a significant impact on the history of Central Europe. And most importantly it is viewed as a very important and essential part of Germany's history. Frederick Barbarossa is, or at least was back in the early days of German nationalism, viewed as a national symbol of sorts, almost a savior figure.

Why would you pinpoint 600-700 years? I get that cultures are changing, but 600-700 years from what? Frederick Barbarossa? I can see the argument you are making but I just don't consider the connection between the Holy Roman Empire and modern Germany irrelevant. I am not making the argument for Saladin as more appropriate for Egypt just on semantics. I am saying that he was firmly a ruler of Egypt and that there was little sense of an "Arabian Empire" coming from his kingdom which if anything owed more to Seljuk Turkish and Persian practices than it did to the Caliphate. Having him as leader of Arabia and giving Arabia the Mamluk UU (though it is not actually inappropriate to give that to other Islamic nations as well) closes the door on representing Egypt's Islamic history (which has never been represented in any civ game before, so I didn't expect it) in the game, which I think is a shame and something I disagree with. I'll still accept the decision, even though I disagree with it, and it won't stop me from enjoying the game.

PS: Arabia is a pretty vague empire in general I feel, because it seems to be meant to be both the Caliphate and the Arab world in general, though it mostly has cities in the Arab peninsula, and uses the term "Arabian" which implies the peninusla rather than the Arab World as a whole. Having both Morocoo and Arabia seems a bit weird when you think about it, but it was cool to see an Arab nation represented in more specific less generalist terms.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 15, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Vox Nihili posted:

Hey folks, anyone know if there are still any decent pre-order deals floating around? Thanks!

20% off on Amazon if you're a Prime member.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I love it when the civ thread takes time off to have history nerdfights. It makes me nostalgic for highschool.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's fine, most people don't use coupons to buy food either, but if you can regularly pay less than average for stuff, you can really stretch some $

It's probably at least partially to do with how poor you were growing up.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
Never pre-ordered from Amazon before, do they send the keys out early so you can pre-load it on steam?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Logic posted:

Never pre-ordered from Amazon before, do they send the keys out early so you can pre-load it on steam?

It's promising 12:00 AM PT availability. The discount is only available for the standard version.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Randarkman posted:

Why would you you say that the Holy Roman Empire isn't German history? The breakup of the Carolingian empire and the Treat of Verdun is largely what establishes a geographical definition of what Germany is. Pretty much all Holy Roman Emperors in the Middle Ages had the title king of Germany before they were emperors. And the Middle Ages, under the Holy Roman Empire is when we begin to see an increasing importance of Germany, with the growth of cities and insititutions and the proliferation of German culture and language by way of colonization that would have a significant impact on the history of Central Europe. And most importantly it is viewed as a very important and essential part of Germany's history. Frederick Barbarossa is, or at least was back in the early days of German nationalism, viewed as a national symbol of sorts, almost a savior figure.

Why would you pinpoint 600-700 years? I get that cultures are changing, but 600-700 years from what? Frederick Barbarossa? I can see the argument you are making but I just don't consider the connection between the Holy Roman Empire and modern Germany irrelevant. I am not making the argument for Saladin as more appropriate for Egypt just on semantics. I am saying that he was firmly a ruler of Egypt and that there was little sense of an "Arabian Empire" coming from his kingdom which if anything owed more to Seljuk Turkish and Persian practices than it did to the Caliphate. Having him as leader of Arabia and giving Arabia the Mamluk UU (though it is not actually inappropriate to give that to other Islamic nations as well) closes the door on representing Egypt's Islamic history (which has never been represented in any civ game before, so I didn't expect it) in the game, which I think is a shame and something I disagree with. I'll still accept the decision, even though I disagree with it, and it won't stop me from enjoying the game.

PS: Arabia is a pretty vague empire in general I feel, because it seems to be meant to be both the Caliphate and the Arab world in general, though it mostly has cities in the Arab peninsula, and uses the term "Arabian" which implies the peninusla rather than the Arab World as a whole. Having both Morocoo and Arabia seems a bit weird when you think about it, but it was cool to see an Arab nation represented in more specific less generalist terms.

To put it simply:

Because it's not until about 600 to 700 years after Barbarossa that Germany stops being a meaningless title held by a King and starts being a concept with meaning to the average person. To actively believe "I am German" is still a rather recent phenomenon. The same is true of France. Robert the Pious was a "French King" but the word France as understood by him has basically nothing to do with modern France.

I agree with your points on Saladin so there's no real need to elaborate there. The key difference is that I'm working from a basic premise of "Leader choices are frequently ahistorical nonsense across the board". Cleopatra isn't even representative of the period of Egyptian history that Egypts abilities imply either. :shrug:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 15, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Lorini posted:

It's promising 12:00 AM PT availability. The discount is only available for the standard version.

The pre-order discount is also only for physical copies. I was considering pre-ordering the physical game on Amazon, but was weighing whether the savings was worth the game coming in late on on release day, or even worse, a day or two later

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I paid full price to pre order from Steam where dies that put me in the game buying hierarchy, i need confirmation.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I paid full price to pre order from Steam where dies that put me in the game buying hierarchy, i need confirmation.

Low on a few scales, the highest on another

E: wait, did you get the deluxe edition or nah?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Regular.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kanfy posted:

I mean, if you have that kind of money to burn on individual video games then that goes without saying but a lot of people want to save where they can.

I buy all my steam games from Captain Invictus. Messaging him on steam and then posting in his thread is about the extent of my effort threshold for discounts

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
It looks like Islands is going to be the best map for multi-player. Early game clash between Civs on the same island start, forced stalemate while everyone fills in their territory and masses troops to cross the sea, then endgame. Otherwise, the preponderance of rushy early game Civs and the incentives to go wide early means one guy is gonna get cocky, lose his Settlers, and give some zergy bastard the early push he needs to snowball all of Pangaea. Par for the course, but something I always hope the next Civ game will balance.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ThirdEmperor posted:

It looks like Islands is going to be the best map for multi-player. Early game clash between Civs on the same island start, forced stalemate while everyone fills in their territory and masses troops to cross the sea, then endgame. Otherwise, the preponderance of rushy early game Civs and the incentives to go wide early means one guy is gonna get cocky, lose his Settlers, and give some zergy bastard the early push he needs to snowball all of Pangaea. Par for the course, but something I always hope the next Civ game will balance.

I dunno the frigate rush rules island maps. Have you seen how few techs there are between sailing and square rigging? You can go from ancient to renaissance in literally three techs. Even if you detour to get campus districts and harbors it's only four extra techs. My worry is that water-heavy maps would be rather stagnant in a highly competitive environment.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
I have not actually seen a frigate rush in 6, only rushy ocean strats involving Viking Longships, which can be reduced to nuisance level by keeping your cities a tile off the coast. If nothing else you're gonna be three techs down from your opponent in terms of what ground troops you're loading into them, but I dunno, you might well be right.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jastiger posted:

I paid 800 MXN (around 40 USD) for the deluxe version on Steam. Regional pricing so good :mexico::hf::gaben:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I missed all the good deals. :eng99:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Novasol posted:

I missed all the good deals. :eng99:

It looks like the gamersgate $45 + wasting 10 minutes of your life deal is still up. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SID-MEIERS-CIVILIZATION-VI-ROW-GN/sid-meiers-civilization-vi

The transactions did eventually process for me, anyway, though the serials aren't yet available (due to it being a preorder, presumably).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Nobody ever quoted these which is a shame because I like it when people brainstorm Civ uniques and put some actual thought into them (and don't make them ridiculously powerful). In particular I like that you've looked for a way to implement Stalin that doesn't make communism the required government pick.

Thanks! I like fiddling around with these ideas and Civ 6 so far has really tried to gel a rulers historical persona to their bonuses!

I saw someone mention Charles V might be more good for Spain, which I could definitely see, I figured he'd make a nice counterpart to Barbarossa.

I had a few more ideas too:

Ashoka (India)
Asoka was one of the greatest rulers of ancient India. He brought nearly all of India (plus Afghanistan and Baluchistan) under one rule for the first (and thus far, only) time in history. Despite his great military prowess, Asoka grew weary of war and over time he became disgusted at the futility of it all. He also sent out a number of Buddhist missionaries along trade routes to help further spread the faith.

Edicts of Ashoka (Ashoka): Receive a Faith boost for each civilization and city-state you share a trade route with. Each trade route boosts Ashokas religion in that city.

The Edits were real life inscriptions on a number of tablets and pillars around India. They help shed light on Ashoka's early reign in addition to shedding light on the early ideas of Buddhism,

Remorse of Kalinga (Ashoka): Dislikes civilizations currently at war, likes civilizations currently at peace.

Ashoka's conquest of Kalinga was the catalyst for his religious fervor towards Buddhism and his later pacifism in life. In game, he despises all war and will not want to be associated with anyone fighting (even in a defensive war).

Toyotomi Hideyoshi (Japan)

Hideyoshi was the second great unifier in Japanese history, taking over after the death of Oda Nobunaga. Under his rule, the gains made by Nobunaga were consolidated and the rest of the Japanese mainland was brought under centralized control. His reforms were crucial to centralizing the rule of the Shogunate and set the stage for the next three hundred years of rule by the Tokugawa.

Taikō Kenchi (Toyotomi Hideyoshi): Receive +1 Gold for each farm tile, +2 Gold for each Rice and Wheat resource. Builds Encampment, Harbor and Commercial districts in half the time.

Taikō land surveys were one of the main ways Hideyoshi consolidated his rule, since the Koku (Japanese currency) was based on agricultural yields, these surveys were needed to assess the wealth of the land. Under a number of other reforms, he also encouraged more commerce on the island (abolishing toll roads and other impediments to internal commerce).

Katanagari (Toyotomi Hideyoshi): Dislikes civilizations with strong militaries unless allied with Japan. Likes civilizations with large cultural outputs.

Katanagari or "Sword Hunts" were the main way Hideyoshi consolidated power after the wars of consolidation. These programs saw the confiscation of swords and other weapons from peasants and enemy samurai of the regime. In game, Hideyoshi dislikes you if you maintain a large army, seeing you a threat to his regime. Be smaller though and be a strong flower of culture and you will find a friend in Japan.

Haakon Haakonsson (Norway)

Haakkon the 4th was the ruler of the Norwegian Kingdom at the apex of its expansion. Ruling a kingdom that spanned Norway, Iceland, Greenland and northern Scotland, Haakon took over at the end of a bitter civil war that had divided his kingdom, by the time he died, he left a powerful Scandinavian kingdom well respected by Europe.

Sverre Supremacy (Haakon Haakonsson) Gain +1 Extra Gold and Faith from each trade route going over water. Higher diplomatic rating with trade partner.

Part of what allowed Hakkon to rule so well was a strong pursuit of foreign ties and trade. In his time, he'd worked with a number of other kings throughout Europe and was even briefly considered for the position of leader for a crusader expedition (which he declined). Hakkon did have to work tirelessly though to secure good relations with the papacy to cement his rule due to the legitimacy concerns which had arise from the civil war he'd won.

Northern Imperium (Haakon Haakonsson) Dislikes civilizations that settle cities near the coast on his home continent, likes civilizations that settle inland.

Much of the military conflict during Hakkon's reign which came after the civil war were fights over land that Norwegians had settled near the coast. Thus, his leadership agenda reflects a strong desire to control the coast and coastal provinces.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

To put it simply:

Because it's not until about 600 to 700 years after Barbarossa that Germany stops being a meaningless title held by a King and starts being a concept with meaning to the average person. To actively believe "I am German" is still a rather recent phenomenon.

Aside from the fact that some people in the era kept talking about being German, which they hardly would do if it had no meaning, their opinions are not relevant in this example. The opinion of modern Germans is.

To modern Germany Friedrich Barbarossa is its history. As is Arminius, Ottonians and whoever. While the narrative might be "artificial" it exists.

Does the same idea exist for Saladin and arabic people of Near East? No idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Here's a spitball of a leader idea of my own:

Harry Truman (America)

Harry S Truman became president of the United States near the end of World War Two, and presided over the conclusion of the Second World War and beginning of the Cold War. Although viewed unfavorably by most Americans at the time, many of his foreign and domestic policy programs such as the creation of NATO and desegregating the military have since been vindicated by history and many historians credit Truman with laying important foundations for the Civil Rights movement and greater participation by the United States in world diplomacy in the decades after he left office.

Marshall Plan (Truman): Receive tourism and extra gold for each trade route you have with city-states and civilizations with fewer cities than you.

The Marshall Plan was a large-scale economic initiative by the United States to rebuild national economies in Europe after the end of World War Two, most significantly the United Kingdom, France, and West Germany. The Marshall Plan made recovery from the war much easier throughout Europe, and closely connected the booming American economy with Europe.

The Buck Stops Here (Truman): Truman likes civilizations with large numbers of trade routes and those at war with the same civilizations America is. Truman dislikes civilizations that attack city-states and smaller civilizations.

As president, Harry Truman kept a sign on his desk reading "The Buck Stops Here," referring to the idea that the president holds the ultimately responsibility for decisions made while in office.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I, sadly, missed the GMG discount this time around. Sadness! I guess there will be other times to get discounts, as most I see on IsThereAnyDeals.com are kind of...

Well, places I'm not too sure of, like GamesPlanet UK, or a 20% voucher for a place called WinGameStore, which does not inspire me confidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Civilization doesn't really strive for historical accuracy of any kind. It mostly just seeks to evoke a sense of history, and to celebrate historical figures.

Same reason why Frederick Barbarossa is leader of Germany my friend, despite the kingdom he ruled being only barely related to modern day Germany.
It was the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation the whole time he was king!